Election Thread

Started by HannibalBarca, November 05, 2018, 09:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HannibalBarca

I am certain that many of you, like me, have been feeling alternating bouts of apprehension and elation at the prospects of the coming election tomorrow.  Excitement at a possible blue wave is tempered by fears of widespread vote suppression and rigging.

I'm 49; 50 in January. I've studied history for the great majority of my life, as well as politics, religion, and economics.  I feel like I can see things coming to a head historically in the last several decades, as far as democracy and capitalism in this nation.  I, like many others, feel that this is possibly one of the most meaningful elections in the existence of the United States.

So here's a thread for everyone to post in, if so inclined.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

NicciKotor

"I think the women, therefore, must be concerned with these values, and I return to my statement that if a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power." - President Eisenhower.

Republicans lost the ability to advance a cause that is right and that is moral well over 30 years ago. We're seeing the death throes of a minority of extremists that can only stay in power through theft and cheating. They'll happily see about the destruction of democracy itself in order to retain that power. So vote, since democracy itself is at stake.
Turn on and off thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=69638.0

Give me toys and anime figures and I'll let you spank me as often as you want!

Discord: NicciKotor#8672

Tumblr page: https://www.tumblr.com/blog/freyathemagicalfoxy

HannibalBarca

I agree, NicciKotor.  A civilization has to advance.  Life is change, no less for individuals and species as for human cultures.  Ours has a segment that has stagnated for decades.  That makes the change all the more jarring when it does eventually come.  Republicans like Eisenhower are few and far between these days.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

NicciKotor

Republicans will have to either make the choice of abandoning their old white racist base and become more inclusive to win elections, or abandon the pretext of caring about living in a democracy and try to destroy America in a mad power grab. All signs point to the latter as Trump is just a blunt tool these American hating jerks are using to sow discord and rile up the worst among us to go along with their plans to destroy this country.

Callie Del Noire

Agreed, I’ve been a moderate republican most of my life and if I’m honest with myself I’ve been using my membership to cast my votes more towards ‘lesser evils’ these days. In all honesty I’m not much of a republican anymore, my party sneers at me, calls me a ‘rino’ and seems determined to race to the bottom.

The democratic leadership, imho, is nearly as bad. They shot themselves in the foot with the back room deals to put Hilary in and Pelosi is just as divisive as any GOP leader out there

Tolvo

I dunno that I'd call them as bad. I'd call them bad, but not as bad. I actually hate much of the democratic party but I just feel they're the better option than the republican party. I'd rather have an actual large left wing party to vote for, but that isn't happening any time soon, so democrats it is.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tolvo on November 05, 2018, 10:10:37 PM
I dunno that I'd call them as bad. I'd call them bad, but not as bad. I actually hate much of the democratic party but I just feel they're the better option than the republican party. I'd rather have an actual large left wing party to vote for, but that isn't happening any time soon, so democrats it is.

I said the leadership, look at folks like Pelosi, Waserman-Schultz (sp?) and such. They promised Hilary the ‘16 president role if she played nice with Obama, and did a lot of things to ensure she got it. Pelosi has cost them as many seats as her fundraising earned, she is just as much to blame for the Divide in the House as any GOP speaker from Gingrich on. At least Gingrich admitted repealing Glass-Steagal was a mistake..she never has as far as I can find

Tolvo

You know what, it's probably because I was thinking you meant bad as in morally bad.

Flower

I'm excited it's nearly done. Will be paying attention as the results roll in.

Lustful Bride

Welp, I did my part. I voted. Hopefully it makes a difference and my country can go back to being something noble, respectable, and that I can be proud ot support again.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 06, 2018, 08:56:42 AM
Welp, I did my part. I voted. Hopefully it makes a difference and my country can go back to being something noble, respectable, and that I can be proud ot support again.

Or rather a closer step to that at least. I'm hopeful that some of the changes might have a calming effect. A split congress might either stall things totally or force the word 'bi-partisan' back into both parties lexicon.

la dame en noir

I live in Georgia and I'm worried D:
Games(Group & 1x1): 7 | Post Rate: 1 - 6 days | Availability: Actively looking!
A&A | FxF |
O/Os | FxF Writers Directory

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: la dame en noir on November 06, 2018, 10:49:47 AM
I live in Georgia and I'm worried D:

Is Is it as bad it sounds. Kemp seems to be hijacking the election process six ways from Sunday

Vekseid

Kemp has dug himself into quite a hole.

If he wins, a lot of people will rightly question his legitimacy.

If he loses, he is going to have to own up to his fuckery that much sooner.

Flower

I feel so anxious. Ready for the results to start rolling in. My anxiety don't help setting all these articles about people having problems voting.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Flower on November 06, 2018, 04:33:31 PM
I feel so anxious. Ready for the results to start rolling in. My anxiety don't help setting all these articles about people having problems voting.

Win or lose, the sun will still come out tomorrow, there will be other elections. Nothing to do but try and mimic the stiff upper lip the brits have :P

Tolvo

I have no real hopes, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tolvo on November 06, 2018, 04:37:45 PM
I have no real hopes, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

Think on this, in some areas.. like Florida, supposed the early turnout has a,ready broke records across the board for voter turn out in an off year.

Mechelle

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 06, 2018, 04:37:32 PM
Win or lose, the sun will still come out tomorrow, there will be other elections. Nothing to do but try and mimic the stiff upper lip the brits have :P

This Brit's lip is not very stiff as I am just about ready to go to bed after a long day out and about. This election is quite fascinating, and I do get the impression that Trump may have made a mistake by making it so much about him, but we will see.
In Britain, we sometimes complain that American news dominates our own news too much, but I have never known any mid-term elections to get so much coverage. As I say, though, I am fascinated.

Oniya

Quote from: Mechelle on November 06, 2018, 06:32:08 PM
but I have never known any mid-term elections to get so much coverage. As I say, though, I am fascinated.

I've been voting since I was 18.  My daughter will be able to vote next year.  I have never seen a mid-term get this much coverage.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Iniquitous

I live in Tennessee and it looks like we are not getting rid of Marsha Blackburn (R Senate). Not surprised but was really hoping (and voted for) Bredesen would pull it off. House looks too close to call right now but it is in favor of the republicans too.

I am so ashamed of my country.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

legomaster00156

Quote from: Iniquitous on November 06, 2018, 08:41:20 PM
I live in Tennessee and it looks like we are not getting rid of Marsha Blackburn (R Senate). Not surprised but was really hoping (and voted for) Bredesen would pull it off. House looks too close to call right now but it is in favor of the republicans too.

I am so ashamed of my country.
Hello, fellow Tennesseean. We are equally disappointed in our state and country. Bredesen is a good man.  :-(

Tolvo

Yeah, it looks like some good happened but not the huge blue wave needed to really make the country better. Maybe it's a bit early for some.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tolvo on November 06, 2018, 08:42:47 PM
Yeah, it looks like some good happened but not the huge blue wave needed to really make the country better. Maybe it's a bit early for some.

I'm still hopeful but without a major change in leadership or at least leadership policy I doubt the democrats taking the house will change anything.

NicciKotor

It will give them subpoena power which will end Trump and republicans.