Call your representitives about Net Neutrality!

Started by Blank, October 20, 2017, 03:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trigon

Quote from: Trieste on November 28, 2017, 03:22:23 PM
The corruption in general is tiresome and needs to go. I feel like the US just assumes that corruption is something that happens as a side effect of government and business - but it isn't. I, for one, would like better.

It's worse then that; in the USA the corruption has long since been legalized. Every other nation on the planet has to at least go through the trouble of hiding it or pretending it doesn't exist, including even very repressive regimes like China. But in the USA, many will just shrug and take it as the normal state of affairs. A very odd sentiment to have if I say so myself.

Trieste

Agreed. Like, corruption is a human condition but that doesn't mean that you don't fight it with things like transparency laws, anti-corruption statutes, and stiff penalties for being found corrupt. The US (not you specifically, Verasaille, just in general) seems to be like "oh well can't help it so ... *gestures vaguely*"

Bruh

It doesn't have to be that way.

Trigon

Welp, for what its worth I have pulled the plug on Verizon and start relying on sim cards moving forward.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Trevino on November 28, 2017, 05:38:32 PM
It's worse then that; in the USA the corruption has long since been legalized. Every other nation on the planet has to at least go through the trouble of hiding it or pretending it doesn't exist, including even very repressive regimes like China. But in the USA, many will just shrug and take it as the normal state of affairs. A very odd sentiment to have if I say so myself.

Personally I like that about my country. Yes we know corruption is real, we at least have the guts to admit it. :P

Trigon

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 29, 2017, 08:57:16 PM
Personally I like that about my country. Yes we know corruption is real, we at least have the guts to admit it. :P

Awareness of corruption is definitely not unique to Americans. The key difference is the attitude taken towards it... the American government is unique in that it has nothing to fear from its own citizenry by openly displaying its corruption.

Blank

Calling is more important than you think. When you call, you get added to a number of people who raised concern over an issue.  If enough people call, they will have to start to weigh the value of that public opinion. 

"If x number of people have called me, my people care about this issue, I should fight for this issue." or if they are more selfishly driven "If I don't do this, I risk not being reelected. I had best do this."

Sure, there is a risk that it may not amount to anything. But the difference of the cost of doing nothing vs. doing something is rather small.  At the bare minimum, you could go here and write a short letter to your reps expressing your concern. Hit send, then carry on your way.  Or go to www.gofccyourself.com and write a short complaint about how you are for Net Neutrality and Title 2 common carrier for ISPs.  These two things can take a total of 5 to 10 minutes.

Heck, if enough people contact their reps, they might think to start putting in laws so we don't have to have this fight every few months.

Trigon

Quote from: Blank on December 01, 2017, 01:00:30 PM
Heck, if enough people contact their reps, they might think to start putting in laws so we don't have to have this fight every few months.

The events of the past couple of weeks would suggest otherwise. At this point I would say that the Net Neutrality repeal in the USA is a foregone conclusion.

Scribbles

Quote from: Trevino on December 02, 2017, 11:12:53 AM
The events of the past couple of weeks would suggest otherwise. At this point I would say that the Net Neutrality repeal in the USA is a foregone conclusion.

Not quite yet, hopefully, as apparently some are already planning to drag the FCC to court should they go ahead and dismantle Net Neutrality.

On the bright side, in such an instance, it sounds as if the FCC would be at a disadvantage as they'd have to convince the courts that they had legitimate reasons for changing the rules, and everyone knows they don't. After all, an overwhelming majority of Americans are FOR Net Neutrality, all of Ajit Pai's previous concerns (before Net Neutrality) were proven to be unfounded, and his current concerns with Net Neutrality have been debunked by multiple people with absolutely zero response from the FCC (all they do is parrot their already countered points or cherry pick criticisms which play them as the victim). On the other hand, it's probably going to be a colossal waste of money and time, even if the public win.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Trigon

Is that the grand strategy now, relying on the courts to save your skins from the corporate juggernaut? Need I remind you that this is the same court system that also voted in favour of Citizens United and also allowed Trump's Muslim ban to be reinstated...

Scribbles

Quote from: Trevino on December 02, 2017, 03:23:28 PM
Is that the grand strategy now, relying on the courts to save your skins from the corporate juggernaut? Need I remind you that this is the same court system that also voted in favour of Citizens United and also allowed Trump's Muslim ban to be reinstated...

I didn't realize the courts were so contentious to some; they did rule in favour of same-sex marriages after all and upheld Net Neutrality when previously contested. I'm just stating that I don't believe Americans are going to shrug their shoulders and say, "Oh well," should the FCC repeal Net Neutrality. I thought that might bring a bit of hope or maybe a smile rather than despair. I'm really not sure such a path should be ignored just because there is some dislike for previous judgements, better to expend all available options to save Net Neutrality.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Trigon

Quote from: Scribbles on December 02, 2017, 03:57:34 PM
I didn't realize the courts were so contentious to some; they did rule in favour of same-sex marriages after all and upheld Net Neutrality when previously contested. I'm just stating that I don't believe Americans are going to shrug their shoulders and say, "Oh well," should the FCC repeal Net Neutrality. I thought that might bring a bit of hope or maybe a smile rather than despair. I'm really not sure such a path should be ignored just because there is some dislike for previous judgements, better to expend all available options to save Net Neutrality.

Yes it is true there is wide ranging support for the principle of net neutrality. However the following problems are:

-A profound lack of understanding as to how deep the corruption and rot actually extends
-The refusal to believe that their nation is no longer a democracy in any meaningful sense.
-Generalised political apathy by the American population at large.

My point was that the strategy of relying on the courts is desperate at best, and carries no guarantees.

But then, I'm not in the USA anymore, so feel free to draw your own conclusions. The jet-stream of bullshit emanating from the FCC ultimately won't have any affect on me in any case...

Trieste

As much as the Citizen's United ruling sucked, the federal rep did step into the SCOTUS and offer up an argument that ended up leading to the ability of Congress to ban books. Not the smartest move, starshine. I was listening to those arguments again the other day on an episode of More Perfect and reminded of how ham-handed the attorney ended up looking ...

(I have a lot of sympathy. While I was doing testimony training in grad school, my instructor got me to imply that not everyone has DNA or some such ludicrous thing during rehearsal testimony. You ever want to feel tied up in circles, you should try training as an expert witness.)

elone

From my congressman, Rob Whittman, R-VA

This man is the worst of the worst. A trump Republican and then some. I write him scathing emails all the time. He usually answers with something that has nothing to do with what I wrote about. I am still waiting on a reply to his stance on this boondoggle that gives it all up to AT&T, Verizon, and the like. Cannot believe he gets re-elected time and time again in a landslide. That is what happens when there is gerrymandering and live in a rural area of the south.

Dear Friend-

As you may know, on November 21, 2017 the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Chairman, Ajit Pai, circulated a draft of his Restoring Internet Freedom Order to his fellow Commissioners. This order would repeal recent internet regulations set during the end of the Obama Administration and would go back to a “light-touch” regulatory style that the U.S. has used for decades.

In the 1990s, President Clinton and a Republican Congress made it our national policy to preserve a free market for the Internet “unfettered by Federal or State regulation.” This was our national policy through the remainder of the Clinton Administration, Bush Administration, and a majority of the Obama Administration. However, two years ago, the FCC changed its course through a party line vote. They agreed upon implementing what we call Title II regulations on the internet. However, in the two years since that FCC decision, broadband network investment dropped more than 5.6%—the first time a decline has happened outside of a recession. I believe if we were to continue with Title II regulations, Virginians who live in rural areas with limited internet may have to wait years to get more broadband.

I believe Chairman Pai’s Restoring Internet Freedom Order would return us to the successful, market-based framework under which the Internet developed and flourished and would preserve Internet freedom for all Americans. The decision would relinquish much of the FCC’s regulatory power back to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) who have historically been responsible for monitoring anti-competitive business practices.

Additionally, the FCC should move to require increased transparency from internet service providers; this would allow for start-ups and small businesses to have the appropriate information they need to innovate and blossom while simultaneously allowing consumers to purchase the best plans offered. I believe that the world-wide-web is inherently not a place to be dictated and policed by lawyers and bureaucrats, rather it should be open and easy for anyone who wants access.

Makes it sound like it is a good thing, of course that is how he gets re elected. It is always, "get government out of our lives" unless, of course it benefits his party.

In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Valerian

Rallies in support of Net Neutrality are being organized across the U.S. over the next few days.  There's a tool here where you can find a rally near you, or organize one if there isn't one already.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Backdraft

Wanna know the scariest part about this? Guess what EMS, fire and police officers use to locate your house when you call 911.

Google Maps.

Guess what EMS providers use as a quick reference guide when they come across an illness or injury they haven't seen in a while.

Google.

Guess what firefighters use when they don't have access to an ERG for hazardous materials incidents.

Google and Poison Control.

Wanna know how police get access to criminal databases?

The internet.

Wanna know what responders use when they can't use Google Maps?

An out-of-date atlas that might not even have your road on it. Or worse, they ask for directions from dispatch or passers-by. Do you really want your firefighters trying to figure out which field was "Ol' Bessie's favorite grazing spot" so they know when to turn right?

Wanna know what EMS providers do when they don't have fast access to their protocols via an app, or don't know what their patient is presenting with?

They consult online medical control—tying up a physician at the hospital for several minutes at a time, per patient, per call. Guess what happens if two medics call at the same time and there's only one free doctor?

"Hold, please..."

Wanna know what happens if a HAZMAT team or fire department doesn't have access to an ERG or the internet? They call dispatch. Wanna know what they're going to do?

Google it.

Dissolution of Net Neutrality isn't just a consumer issue, it could cost lives.

FarFetched

Aaaand it’s now dead.

Petitions do nothing for bribed chairmen in a corporation’s pocket. As expected, nothing short of a gun to their head will make them do anything not in their own interest.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: FarFetched on December 14, 2017, 01:30:52 PM
Aaaand it’s now dead.

Petitions do nothing for bribed chairmen in a corporation’s pocket. As expected, nothing short of a gun to their head will make them do anything not in their own interest.
Taking it abit too far there.

But it is not over. We keep a stiff upper lip and keep protesting, keep petitioning, keep fighting.

FarFetched

I apologize- I don’t usually get this aggravated online (nor talk politics). I am very certain I’m not wrong, though. Something more than petitions are required. At this point, the ways the US can resolve this is limited. Either congress can step in (which would be difficult), we could find a way to fire FCC chairmen based on their actions or public dissatisfaction, or we could make Net Neutrality the only financially viable option ISPs have.

Valerian

There are several lawsuits already poised to hit the courts about this, at least.  With any luck something good will happen there.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

TheGlyphstone

We loat a battle, but there are plenty more to fight and our victory record so far is pretty solid.

CaptainNexus616

I'm currently aware of approximately 18 states have banded together to sue the FCC. That's within just the last few hours. Imagine a day from now.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Laughing Hyena

And we have been calling congress like crazy. They have 60 days to repeal the vote by the FCC as well.

Trieste

And for current intents and purposes, Alabama turned into a swing state overnight. That's going to fluster Congress.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on December 14, 2017, 03:37:25 PM
And we have been calling congress like crazy. They have 60 days to repeal the vote by the FCC as well.

+1 If they want to be a pain in our ass with this, then we sure as hell will be a major pain in their ass. >:)