Lazarus Replacement?

Started by Suiko, September 04, 2017, 02:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suiko

I recently updated my Firefox browser, and the Lazarus text recovery app is no longer supported, which sucks when you write long posts and something decides to randomly shut down your browser... I was wondering if anyone knows of any alternative add-on that recovers or saves writing in-browser? I like Firefox so I'd rather not change it - just trying to find something different to work.

Thanks in advance!
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

- Current Status: Resetting, reassessing -

Stella

Ooooh I'd love to know if there's a good replacement, too! Thanks for putting the question out there, Khoraz!

Kye

I haven't tried it, but I've heard that Form History Control is a decent alternative.

Suiko

All suggestions are welcome :-)

Thank you~
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Haibane

I reverted to Firefox 52 ESR for this reason. The newest Firefox has stopped supporting some Java versions as well and for 3 days I couldn't access any of my webmail... so sadly the current Firefox 54-something is no longer viable for me.

Timeless

After the update, I had been using Textarea Cache. It's not as great as Lazarus and frankly, I always prefer Lazarus but it's a decent replacement for the meantime. However, I highly recommend to go the 'Old Data' option to change the settings, especially on how long you want to keep the old data in the cache.

Suiko

I'll have a gander, thank you ^^

Btw, lovely avatar <3
- Main M/M Requests -
- Other M/M Prompts -
- A/As -
- O/Os -

Reno

There's one I recently found for Chrome called Text Input Recovery Extension (TIRE). It seems to work pretty well so far.

I know that's not much help to the original poster, but if someone else wanders in on chrome  like I did , it might do them some good

Edit: NB. It doesnt' work if you turn on the WYSIWYG editor

Nowherewoman

Ssieth's Greasemonkey Scripts for Elliquiy has a Draft Save feature.
My eyes are a window to the storm that's getting close.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

stormwyrm

This is why I shifted to Pale Moon. https://www.palemoon.org/

It's a Firefox fork that tries to undo some of the worst damage that Mozilla has been doing to Firefox lately, in particular the UI and extension breakage. Lazarus still works on it, as do all of my other essential extensions. That's the only reason why I still use Firefox to begin with and if I can't use my extensions I might as well use Chrome.
If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

Reno

Quote from: stormwyrm on November 21, 2017, 10:47:42 PM
This is why I shifted to Pale Moon. https://www.palemoon.org/

It's a Firefox fork that tries to undo some of the worst damage that Mozilla has been doing to Firefox lately, in particular the UI and extension breakage. Lazarus still works on it, as do all of my other essential extensions. That's the only reason why I still use Firefox to begin with and if I can't use my extensions I might as well use Chrome.

Yeah, I actually shifted from Palemoon back to Firefox for about a month a year ago. Lazarus still worked, but most of my other extensions quit, and losing SelfDestructing Cookies was the last straw.  =\   Vanilla Firefox wasn't much better, so I broke down and decided if both browsers are going to try to be Chrome, I might as well be using the one that was better at it.

Verasaille

I find that if I am going to do a long post, that using Google Docs is the best way. It saves as you write, then it is a matter of copy/paste to the forum.  I am used to Chrome, and I do like it.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Reno

Yeah, I try to limit my reliance on Google to a bare minimum. Especially since their scanner bot flipped out a few weeks back and tipped their hand that they were censoring even unshared docs based on content.

Verasaille

I have never had that problem, and I have written some pretty smutty things! More likely it is your ISP? Not sure how they would censor things? If you are that concerned, make sure you call your Congressperson to keep net neutrality!
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Reno

Quote from: Verasaille on November 27, 2017, 03:04:29 PM
More likely it is your ISP? Not sure how they would censor things?

No, your ISP can't alter Gdocs' internal logic and make it a display a message that the document violated the TOS.

It is trivial for them to censor based on content. They can simply hook a banned/red-flag word list into the same bot that crawls through and analyzes document contents for advertising data, and not let you open the ones that get flagged. It looks like that process went off the rails and started mis-flagging things for two days.

If you are that concerned, make sure you call your Congressperson to keep net neutrality!

This has nothing whatsoever to do with network neutrality.

Edit: Better link

Verasaille

That was in interesting article, thanks.

Reno

Quote from: Verasaille on November 27, 2017, 08:33:31 PM
That was in interesting article, thanks.

👍👍

Huh. That didn't work out so well. In case anyone doesn't have microscopes for eyeglasses, those are supposed to be "thumbs up" :)