Magic...It can get a guy killed. Dresdenverse/Modern fantasy Rp Idea.

Started by Cuchulainn, October 07, 2012, 10:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anon315

helvorn

Cuchulainn

Caela

Will get a post up by this weekend. Have the next four days off to get caught up on my stories! Yay! :)

Genbu83

I hadn't decided yet if he should be a full fledged wizard, or just a high level talent. If he were an apprentice or wizard, potions and magic theory would apply to him more. However as Dresden explains it, belief is morw important. So working like a living circuit board would be his individual laws to magic.

As far as interaction with technology goes, there are two ways he can go about that. Being under running water, or reducing power. Crossing a threshhold obviously is the most surefire way to.do that.

My theory on magic as an energy, actually works to make the use of technology possible. Capacitors and inductors mostly. Say my hacker store energy in a series of crystals, akin to Dresden's force ring. That energy is being directed and stored as it is created, and thusly creates less interference with technology. However once his "batteries" are charged, standard rules apply.

The batteries are his first source of magic, and he would have a plethera of items similar to the ring, belt, buckle, and such.

As far as being out of juice goes...I imagine him as the rugby/soccer hooligan type...which will make him a bit scrappy and gives option to have him go warden or join another equivalent mage brute squad.

What is certain about the character so far is that he likes enchanting chains and studs, and likely has a cricket bat for a rod.

Cuchulainn

Hmm, I know Dresden goes on on and on about how "He's got so much magic that thinks break easy." But it doesn't add up for me, when he goes to the aquarium and they make that circle he suddenly starts panicking because the only magic he can use is what he takes in with him which suggest not a lot and that the exhaustion he feels is the act of using it, not so much the magic itself. Which also suggests it is not there personal reservoir of magic that messes with the technology more the fact they are wizards.

The other point is also that they weren't technologically inept and that before witches and wizards had warts and pimples appear on their body because of the fact they where sorcerers. Also the fact that every other creature, even the ones with magical mojo can use technology without problem and only interfere with it when they want to.

I don't mind a bit of work around to make the use of technology possible but I don't like the thought of wizards using computers successfully, specially consider how often regular humans having problems with them.

If you wanted to take him down the one practioner root and make him a one trick pony, like the girl who can see into the future and the flash with tats then yea I could see him using computers, as long as he remained very zen. Although as a practioner  that would mean no spells which would mean no blasting rod as a blasting rod is just a focus for fire spells similar to his cane sword built for earth magic.

Caela

I think part of his being able to break things easy isn't just the level of his own personal magic, but that he can channel a lot of magic around him as well. He can draw in a lot of the energy (heat, kinetic, etc) from around him and use it to empower his magic as well. With the circle in the aquarium, the Denarians were cutting him (and the Archive) off from that outside source of energy, leaving him with only what he could carry in himself and that made what he could do much more limited since he wouldn't be able to replenish, or use, those outside sources of energy.

I don't think a lot of the other magical creatures can use technology either. It could be more just a natural aversion to it than an inability but you don't, typically, see them using it much. The vamps certainly seem to use it more than most, especially White Court but they aren't really much for the waving around of magic (for the most part) so they probably don't disturb it like Wizards do.

Cuchulainn

No I'm pretty sure non mortal practitioners can use magic, sure bob mentions how good the internet is, also I am pretty sure in summer knight? There is a line somewhere like about non mortal practitioners not affecting electronics unless they want to.

helvorn

The non mortal practitioners did not use magic like human wizards or were one trick ponies like the werewolves.  I think that along with the power of a mortal wizard is the effect on technology.   I'd say you could figure out a way to use magic and at least some tech but you'd be limited otherwise in your magic.

Pumpkin Seeds

HairyHeretic

The affect on technology is a magical leakage, so to speak. If you have 100% concentration on the magic, it doesn't leak out and affect stuff. Your mind wavers, you get leakage. That's waht causes stuff to get messed up.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Caela

Quote from: cuchulainn on November 09, 2012, 01:16:27 PM
No I'm pretty sure non mortal practitioners can use magic, sure bob mentions how good the internet is, also I am pretty sure in summer knight? There is a line somewhere like about non mortal practitioners not affecting electronics unless they want to.

I didn't mean that they couldn't use technology, just that they don't seem to. I think some, like the fairies have an almost natural aversion to it (all those man-made material and metal) and Harry tends to deal with heavy hitters and leaders and in most of the non-mortal groups that also equal OLD in a big way and lots of them just seem to distrust modern technology. Might be interesting to see how some of the younger (less than a century old) characters of those groups act around modern technology.

As for how tech reacts around them, like Helvorn said, most are one trick ponies so they don't have the same build-up that a mortal Wizard does and the ones that aren't (like the Black Court vampire Mavra) never seem to be using tech either. I think some of it might have to do with the type of energy drawn on as well. Harry mentions using natural energy in his magic and most tech runs on that as well so it's easy to see why magic would screw with it really since it would disrupt the flow of energy to the machine itself. From a tech pov a fairy might have an easier time with a computer because their magic is drawn from the Nevernever so that energy might not be as disruptive to something from our plane.

Just thoughts. :)

helvorn

I think that fairies don't use tech so much because that is not their nature.  Butcher makes a big deal of human free will and the fact that the fey at least are locked into behaving according to their natures.  So if tech is not in their nature then they don't use it.  Plus for most of the fey they can do what they need without recourse to using tech.

Lastly, iron bothers the fey so I'd imagine anything with a significant hunk of that metal in it will be uncomfortable for them.

Now the White and Red court vamps are huge users of technolgy but then they have no real 'magic' like that of a wizard.  They do have powers but they are powered by feeding on others rather than use of natural magical energy.

Cuchulainn

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on November 09, 2012, 05:07:18 PM
Is this game still accepting players?

Yea totally feel free to join.

As for technology,
Quote"Magic wasn't always screwing up post WW2 tech. Before WW2 magic had other effects. It sorta changes slowly over time, and about every 3 centuries it rolls over into something else. At one time, instead of magic making machines flip out it made cream go bad. Before that magic made weird molls on your skin and fire would burn slightly different colors when you were around it." Currently, magic interferes with technology and causes it to randomly break down; the more magic in the area, the greater the chance of something wrong happening.
This does not effect minor practitioners as much as full wizards because of the different energy levels they control

Basically to me it sounds like Wizards are lightning rods for ambient magic and their bodies basically pull it towards the wizard. So no computers for a wizard, computers are by far to complex and complicated. It is to established it is one of those facts of magic of the Dresden universe and I am almost certain it only really affects mortal magic, sure butters managed to hook bob up to the internet.

Genbu83

Busy week, where is the IC and OOC thread link? I think i have.my character prwtty fleshed out. I just need to watch attack the block, hackers, and the goonies again.

Anon315

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 09, 2012, 05:19:23 PM
The affect on technology is a magical leakage, so to speak. If you have 100% concentration on the magic, it doesn't leak out and affect stuff. Your mind wavers, you get leakage. That's waht causes stuff to get messed up.
It also just has to do purely with how much power you're tossing about. It's easier to control a leak from a garden hose on low pressure than from a pressurized fire hose.

Genbu83

Quote from: Anon315 on November 20, 2012, 12:24:56 PM
It also just has to do purely with how much power you're tossing about. It's easier to control a leak from a garden hose on low pressure than from a pressurized fire hose.

Think of the Wizard Interference with technology, as a magnetic field with variances in both frequency and power. A wizard is like an EMP, so to speak. just as with an emp, which can be shielded against, one can shield against magic users. Granted magic using humans are ground out when under running water or when they cross a threshhold univited.

My concept is akin to how you shield against emp, the ambient magic energy is going to find the path of least resistance and get ground out. that is also where the magical capacitors come into play. My character beleieves magic works like electricity, and so he quantifies it in terms of it's load potential, path of current, and how it can overcome resistance.

Natural reserve, drawn power, and stored power come into play when it comes to my character casting spells. His naturally reserve is not nearly as high as Mr. Dresden, however I'd imagine he is powerful enough to be a council wizard. What he does with his own power is all done with efficiency in mind. Next is the drawn power, this is taken from nature, spirits, bargains, or in my characters case magic occuring around him or directed at him. Where as a lot wizards use shields against each other, my character has shield spells, but rather harness all the energy being direct at him. Think in terms of akido, an attack is a gift. Physics wise, that is energy to be manipulated, redirected, or stored for later use. finally stored Power, in the books, rituals, charms, areas, and potions all store power. They all have a liited ammount of time to be active for the most part, however that is where i got the idea for magical capacitors. Magic slowly leaks out, so if you build charms in the way that they are designed to slowly drain energy and absorb energy, there is an ebb and flow. You still have energy to work with, but you don't need to worry so much about constantly reinforcing certain effects upon them.

Sorry to get intoo all the electronic their, but it's how I imagine magic works in Butcher's series, outside of the belief thing. Magic is much more complex for mortals than it is for fey and outsiders.

Anon315

So are any of those who posted characters / interest going to post ICly? It's rather lonely with just the two of us.

helvorn

Working on one.  Life has finally settled down for tonight.

Caela

Will get a reply up later today...Helvorn, your vampires assumption that my girl isn't powerful made me giggle. It's exactly the sort of underestimation she has spent her whole life attempting to inspire in people. Utterly perfect! :D

Genbu83

Working on my post now. I had no luck findinga good punk-rock looking caster. So I just found a normal looking punk rocker.

helvorn

Quote from: Caela on November 24, 2012, 05:19:09 AM
Will get a reply up later today...Helvorn, your vampires assumption that my girl isn't powerful made me giggle. It's exactly the sort of underestimation she has spent her whole life attempting to inspire in people. Utterly perfect! :D

I wanted to slip that in.  You've done such a great job with the character I felt the need to add it to my own reaction.

HairyHeretic

Work has left me rather drained of late. I'll try and get something up soon.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cuchulainn

I give you guys the social event of the year, one that would be teaming with interesting men and women both real and fictional...and you all go hang out down the local pub. Cretins, you clearly lack a refined palates. Well the sword was just supposed to be a filler item, an ordinary finely crafted sword that was mistaken for something else but if you want it to be magical sure why not you all seem to be giving it a lot of attention anyway. Well I shall stand back for the moment, let you all engage in your meet and greet, don't forget all those games to help you remember everyone's name. If you seem to be stuck I'll start throwing plot devices at you to get you moving...maybe someone hits the fire alarm, who knows?

...wait a minute this isn't the OOC thread.

*starts shooing the discussion over there.*