Early voting. . .

Started by ShrowdedPoet, October 20, 2008, 09:57:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShrowdedPoet

It started today at 8am and lasts until 5pm.  How many of you are going to the polls early?  Why?  How many are waiting?  Why? 

I am going today, because I just wanna go ahead and get it over with.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

I mailed in my Ballot already weeks ago, I didn't have any problems I knew exactly how I wanted to vote so did.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 20, 2008, 10:06:17 AM
I mailed in my Ballot already weeks ago, I didn't have any problems I knew exactly how I wanted to vote so did.

I didn't know you could mail in your ballot. 
Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

In Florida I just had to tell the supervisor of elections to mail my ballot and they did it. I think all States allow that just we have no "reason" to do so. In some states you may need to have a legal reason like be in the military or be disabled.

I just had to make sure everything was filled out and signed properly so my vote counts.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 20, 2008, 10:32:08 AM
In Florida I just had to tell the supervisor of elections to mail my ballot and they did it. I think all States allow that just we have no "reason" to do so. In some states you may need to have a legal reason like be in the military or be disabled.

I just had to make sure everything was filled out and signed properly so my vote counts.

Interesting, I had never heard of that.
Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

Well I did have to pay the postage but its convenient and easy to do, you just have to make its signed and properly filled out, and postmarked on time. No problem for me.

Vote Libertarian for Real Change (pardon the cheap plug but its free advertising)

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 20, 2008, 12:05:18 PM
Well I did have to pay the postage but its convenient and easy to do, you just have to make its signed and properly filled out, and postmarked on time. No problem for me.

Vote Libertarian for Real Change (pardon the cheap plug but its free advertising)

*laughs*  I'm sorry, I've already made my choice.  I know you are passionate about your chosen party but I do not wish to debate.
Ons and Offs

RubySlippers

Not to debate just a plug after all its not like my party has money to actually advertise like the other two. lol

Back on topic forget who cares how you vote or for who - just get out there and do it. Men and women died for our right to vote its sacred and your duty as an American poor or rich.

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 20, 2008, 12:12:14 PM
Back on topic forget who cares how you vote or for who - just get out there and do it. Men and women died for our right to vote its sacred and your duty as an American poor or rich.

Here here!!!!  *raises glass for a toast*  Voting is a responsibility that we all carry.  If you do not vote you have no right to bitch, that's my opinion on the matter.  You had a choice to possibly change how things came out but you didn't take the simple step and vote. . .therefor I don't want to hear your whining!
Ons and Offs

Trieste

Quote from: RubySlippers on October 20, 2008, 10:32:08 AM

Actually, if you sent in an absentee ballot, they don't even open those until and unless they receive enough in each state to change the vote ...

... which they never do. Not even in 2000 were absentee votes counted.

As for early voting, eh ... I don't know. There's something about doing it ON Election Day ... it's a ritual, I guess.

Jefepato

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on October 20, 2008, 12:19:22 PM
Here here!!!!  *raises glass for a toast*  Voting is a responsibility that we all carry.  If you do not vote you have no right to bitch, that's my opinion on the matter.  You had a choice to possibly change how things came out but you didn't take the simple step and vote. . .therefor I don't want to hear your whining!

My right to bitch is inalienable.

I am in fact voting, thanks to the magic of absentee ballots, but I don't see your logic.  My vote won't, and can't, possibly change how things come out.  What makes this empty gesture an important responsibility?

RubySlippers

Actually that is not right in Florida every properly submited Absentee Ballot must be counted and with around a third of ballots this year being Absentee how can they not count them - it would make Florida embarrassed again.

Trieste

RubySlippers

I beg to disagree I checked on Google and although some ballots sent from abroad were not counted and there were issues as far as I can tell they did process most of them as voting results. I will keep looking but again with one third being submited that way this year it seems not counting them is going to create some serious issues. It could be they changed the laws after 2000 also I can't be sure but I can't see where legally under Federal Law they could deny a voters right to vote the way you say.

Trieste

They cannot deny the right to vote, no. What they can do is say "We don't have enough to bother counting and it will save us money if we don't". They look at it and say "We have 15,000 votes for McCain, 10,000 votes for Obama and 2,000 votes for various other candidates. We have another 3,000 absentee votes, and even if they all vote Obama, they won't change the outcome, so we won't count them." And they don't. Obviously the numbers are made up right here, but that is how it's justified.

And besides, it's only one third vote that's cast by absentee ballot, so that means the majority is counted, right? Isn't that what matters?

I wish I didn't need this, but I know I will: /sarcasm