Good Work Never Ends [PATHFINDER]

Started by Ghostwheel, October 13, 2013, 10:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostwheel

The Institute of War has kept the peace of Valoran for over two decades now. Two Rune Wars had already changed the landscape, changing good, arable land into a wasteland of magical energy where nothing could grow, raising cliffs where once were plains, and changing the landscape of the world forever. Magic-infused storms rage across the landscape despite the best efforts of the strongest casters in the world to halt their advance. Even with all the magical energy invested in restoring the world to how it was, it's still not enough. Yet still, the Institute of War knows just how easily the world can once again fall into darkness, and has sent its agents far and wide to stop such things from occurring again, to stop war from erupting between Demacia and Noxus, to put an end to the destruction of the very planet by various forces. The League of Legends was a great step forward, but the good work of the Institute never ends, and there is always more work to do. This is where you come in. Agents of the Institute, you joined only recently or long ago. Regardless, loyal to the Institute, you have your own reasons for joining and have been assigned to a team to stop the forces that threaten the entire world of Runeterra at any cost. Highly skilled, you have been selected for your individual talents to meet those whom no diplomatic overture will affect with lethal force.

This game will take place in the world of Runeterra, whose original source is the game League of Legends. The character themselves will be members of the Institute of War, and should include in their background what region of Valoran they came from. If you know nothing about the game--that's fine! We'll not be focusing on what the game brings to the table, but rather on the above flavor text, and if you have a concept I'll try to give some examples of places where the character may have come from.

For those of you who are familiar with the game, players will not be playing as the champions who take part in the League, though they might be related to them in some way to the mythical heroes that take part in the League.

As follows are the character creation rules:
  • Level 14
  • 26 point buy
  • Max HP per level
  • Balanced Wealth variant
  • Lengthened Spellcasting variant
  • Allowable material is anything created by Paizo or Dreamscarred Press. I'll allow third-party material on a per-case basis.
  • Characters start with any two non-magical weapons, any non-magical armor, and an additional 1,000 gold.
  • Characters start with 3 Least, and 3 Lesser magical items (see the variant above).

More to be added as I get questions. Please include your character's appearance, background, the class(es) you're thinking of taking, and a picture if at all possible (as well as your character sheet as soon as you can have it ready).

Yordles will have the stats of Halflings, and other races might either be newcomers to Valoran or we can say that a specific race has "always been there".

Note--I want to keep the game active. If you foresee yourself with having a problem posting once every 3 days or so, or losing motivation for the game and not posting after I poke you, I don't think this is the game for you. While I don't mind taking things slow, I'm looking for people who can commit to posting often, usually once every other day, and once every 3 days at the VERY least.

Current Applicants:
Muse - Sweetwater - Half-Giant Wilder
Blinkin - Human Fighter / Ranger
lockepick - Human Spellthief
Zaer Darkwail - Summoner
Thorn14 - Human Sorcerer

Blinkin

Human Fighter/Ranger (Not sure if there will be an archetype yet.)

Physical Description:
Lydia could be best described as a striking woman of unusual beauty.  A mass of rich chestnut colored hair falls about her face and shoulders in curly locks, framing a lightly tanned face that’s dominated by slightly upturned almond shaped Midnight blue eyes. Slightly pouty lips under a straight nose and a firm, almost stubborn chin completes her visage.  An athletic figure with a combination of soft curves and firm muscles are accentuated with generous C-cup breast, a slender, toned waist and flaring out into rounded hips and rear. Long, lean legs and well toned arms complete the image. She is most often seen in well made, serviceable, if not overly expensive clothing in nature toned colors.

Personality:
Lydia is a woman who enjoys life with a zest that could leave some winded simply by watching her. A constant, vibrant energy seems to infuse her every breath and she firmly believes that life is meant to be lived, people anoyed and humor above all is to be encouraged. If you’re as likely as not to die tomorrow, live for today! A relatively good natured person, she is as much at home in a crowd of people in a tavern as she is in the wilds of the forest. If you make it through her demanding standards, you’re a friend who’ll never find anyone more loyal to the concept… If you’re an enemy… well, there’s loyalty there too.

Background:
Lydia is the only child of parents with a serious taste of wonderlust and desire to see what was around the next hill; settling down only long enough to restore their supplies, make some more coin and gather up items to sell in the next town or settlement that they came to. As a result, Lydia was never sure where she was born, or where she came from… only that the world was vast and she longed to stay in one place.

When Lydia was in her early teens, her family was set upon by an Orc band and it was, as to be expected, a slaughter. Her parents were killed and Lydia left for dead among the wreckage of the wagon and supplies. Lost and alone, she continued along the roadway and avoided the same band of bandits only by shere luck before she was found by an half-elf who had been tracking the band for some time. The man, a ranger by profession, took Lydia under his wing and aside from caring for her, taught her the basics of his own calling when she showed a knack for survival in the wilds.

As time went on, Lydia and Elister, her mentor and adoptive guardian, became an not uncommon sight in the forest and surrounding lands as she learned her craft and sold the occasional bow in the settlements or towns for the few things that she couldn’t obtain from the land.

Eventually, she felt the need to make her own life and mark in the world; heading off into the wider world and learning about it. Eventually, she encountered a woman who was impressed enough with her potential that she was offered a job working for the organization. Being able to potentially stop further wars from occurring appealed to her… as well as a steady income and the option of seeing more of the world. In spite of herself, she was indeed her parents child.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Ghostwheel

Sounds good, prestige classes are fine, and added a request to the original post for character sheets when you can have them done at your convenience.

Also, I'm allowing SANE "evil" characters that have an excellent reason not to screw over the rest of the party. Not really interested in insane evil characters. Also, any inter-conflicts will be strictly non-lethal, period.

Remember that the item/wealth system is very different from the conventional one in Pathfinder, so make sure to read it carefully!

Florence

Hmmmm... as much as I want a Pathfinder game, the setting just really isn't doing it for me. :<

Good luck on this one, but I think for now I'm gonna pass on it. No point in me signing up now and losing interest in it down the road.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Blinkin

I'm having a little trouble reading the table, which isn't surprising considering how much the screen reader loves website tables.

Tell me if the assumptions are correct...

Fighter 1/Ranger 13 (Human)

Primary Ability: +7
Equipment Bonus: +4?
Armor: +2
Weapon: +2
Deflection: +3
Natural Armor: +3
Resistance: +4

Magical Items:
Least: 8
Lesser: 8

So, question.. Would a +2 bow of speed be a lesser or a greater item?

Haven't looked at the magic system, but may go for an archetype that doesn't use it.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Ghostwheel

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on October 13, 2013, 12:04:58 PM
Hmmmm... as much as I want a Pathfinder game, the setting just really isn't doing it for me. :<

Good luck on this one, but I think for now I'm gonna pass on it. No point in me signing up now and losing interest in it down the road.

For what it's worth, I'll be using a lot of Paizo material, including perhaps modules and the like. That said, no problem :-)

Quote from: Blinkin on October 13, 2013, 12:15:51 PM
Tell me if the assumptions are correct...

<snip>

So, question.. Would a +2 bow of speed be a lesser or a greater item?

Haven't looked at the magic system, but may go for an archetype that doesn't use it.

You'd get the following according to the table:
  • +7 to your primary ability score
  • +7 spread amongst other ability scores
  • +4 enhancement bonus to all ability scores
  • +4 enhancement bonus to AC
  • +3 enhancement to your weapon
  • +3 deflection bonus to AC
  • +3 natural armor bonus to AC
  • +4 resistance bonus

You'd also have been able to craft 3 Least items (cost of 4k or less), and 3 Lesser items (cost of 25k or less) and start with 3 1st-level potions or 1st/2nd-level scrolls and 3 2nd-level potions or 3rd/4th-level scrolls. Note that you can only use/wield up to 5 magic items at a time.

Weapons can have up to one damage enhancement and one boost enhancement, and can be made of a special material. For each of these three they count as one rank higher.

Thus, a Speed (boost enhancement) Bow would be a Least item, while a Frost (damage enhancement) Speed (boost enhancement) bow would be a Lesser item. It would automatically have a +3 enhancement bonus, as that's granted by your in-build damage progression.

Does that make sense?

Thorn14

Oh damn, I was just wondering if someone would do an RP that used original characters in the LoL setting. Level 14 though? Whew.

What can we expect theme wise including adult?

Ghostwheel

Fairly light on the adult side--it's there if characters want to partake in it, and they can go wild with each other, but I'm not going to shove it down the PCs' throats or make it a major part of the plot.

Thorn14

Right.

Does Pathfinder allow one to be like, half elemental or something?

I was thinking of someone who is like half nature elemental/ thorn elemental...which....may have already be taken by Zyra thematically...hm...

Ghostwheel

The old Genasi from 3.5 were replaced with other elemental races, the Ifrit, Undine, Sylph, and Oread.

So the answer is yes. That said, I'm not allowing monstrous races, but the above are good.

You could always be an Ifrit sorcerer with the Verdant bloodline, for example, to have both those natures.

Thorn14

Hmm...Maybe just a human with the bloodline. I'll look it up.

Not sure how I can have my character be sperate from Zyra theme wise though, other than, you know, not being a murderous plant.

Ghostwheel

If you're looking for more nature-based spells, druid might be the way to go :-)

Thorn14

Eeeeh...I kinda am digging the Verdant Bloodline. I'm just trying to think of character themes.

Blinkin

Quote from: Ghostwheel on October 13, 2013, 12:44:28 PM
For what it's worth, I'll be using a lot of Paizo material, including perhaps modules and the like. That said, no problem :-)

You'd get the following according to the table:
  • +7 to your primary ability score
  • +7 spread amongst other ability scores
  • +4 enhancement bonus to all ability scores
  • +4 enhancement bonus to AC
  • +3 enhancement to your weapon
  • +3 deflection bonus to AC
  • +3 natural armor bonus to AC
  • +4 resistance bonus

You'd also have been able to craft 3 Lesser items (cost of 4k or less), and 3 Least items (cost of 25k or less) and start with 3 1st-level potions or 1st/2nd-level scrolls and 3 2nd-level potions or 3rd/4th-level scrolls. Note that you can only use/wield up to 5 magic items at a time.

Weapons can have up to one damage enhancement and one boost enhancement, and can be made of a special material. For each of these three they count as one rank higher.

Thus, a Speed (boost enhancement) Bow would be a Least item, while a Frost (damage enhancement) Speed (boost enhancement) bow would be a Lesser item. It would automatically have a +3 enhancement bonus, as that's granted by your in-build damage progression.

Does that make sense?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Lockepick

I know we're talking via PM, but thought I'd ask this question publicly:

Are you allowing custom races using the RP system from Advanced Race Guide?

If so: what is the max amount of RP we can spend? I believe it is usually 10, but I think Dwarves are actually 12 or something.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Ghostwheel

Nope, just what's published, though I might nerf tieflings and aasimars *slightly* (prolly just take away energy resistance or something).

Bear

Whilst I have no knowledge of the League of Legends setting, I'm interested.

When would you like characters by? I need to refresh my Pathfinder knowledge, before getting into the meat of things.

Ghostwheel

In the next few days, once I fill up on players or decide to start the game, we'll get going. At most I'll probably leave this up for a week, give or take a few days, and then choose the concepts I like best.

Muse

Hi. 

Thank you for pointing this out to me, Ghost.  I have to leave now, but I'll finish Sweetwater by morning. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Blinkin

My Ranger has 3 favored enemies, are you going to be using the usual monster types? It's kinda hard to pick these without knowing what is somewhat common in an encounter as one learns about the world.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Ghostwheel

Yes, usual monster types will be used. You could either decide by flavor of what your character has faced in the past (flavorfully), try to choose the widest-covering ones, or take an archetype that replaces it like Guide.

godfang

i have a tryn build, he's a barbarian (as is fitting) which uses great cleave and has die hard, can i use him as tryndamere or do you want me to play ocs? I also have an udyr build but that requires him to be played as a deadly fist (psionic archetype of soulknife).

I'd love to play one of those two :D

Ghostwheel

Quote from: godfang on October 13, 2013, 06:09:10 PM
i have a tryn build, he's a barbarian (as is fitting) which uses great cleave and has die hard, can i use him as tryndamere or do you want me to play ocs? I also have an udyr build but that requires him to be played as a deadly fist (psionic archetype of soulknife).

I'd love to play one of those two :D

1. What? What's "ocs"? What are you talking about?
2. I can't understand you. Is English your native language, or are you native to a different part of the world?
3. Please read the opening post carefully. I said explicitly and specifically that players are not champions, and won't be playing them.

godfang

oc's are original characters. I don't actually think there's anything wrong with my english, but if you can't understand them i guess i'll play with someone else who does.

Lockepick

BTW: Are we allowed to take any traits? If so, how many?
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!