Pathfinder Organized Play: Testing the Waters

Started by Callie Del Noire, November 05, 2012, 10:37:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callie Del Noire

Okay.. I've gotten enough interest to consider offering running the First Steps series as an organized PFS online run.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderSociety

If there is interest (and folks want to get a pathfinder society number to play) I can run the First Steps series..

I'll need 4 to 6 players.

Build is in compliance with the PFS Organized Play booklet (Free pdf download on that linked page, Player's Resources on the right side of the page). Here

Build rules. 1st level, 20 point buy, 150 gp starting funds.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Blinkin on November 05, 2012, 04:27:53 PM
Ok, I think I'm just really, really dense. I'm interested, but I see several guides and no idea which one you are looking for... and getting a number? help?

First..

Go here, read through the page.
Then...(now that you have the number)
Download and read the player sections of the free Guide to Society Play.. (No hurries)

Basic thumbnail criteria for player characters.

-20 Point Buy
-150 Gold.
-Core Races, PLUS Aasimar, Tengu and Tiefling only (unless you get a boon at a convention for other races)

Meliai

So I know roughly what pathfinder society games are, but I've never played one or seen one played. Could you tell me what they're like? Aside from the character creation restrictions and the official tracking and stuff do the games themselves differ significantly from your average pathfinder game? The only thing I've heard is that they tend to be kind of combat focused, but I have no idea how impartial that opinion was.
    {{A/As updated 5/8}}           

Blinkin

Ok, I'm trying to download the guide... as for a number... let me see the guide first.

I am very interested however and will see what happens.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Callie Del Noire

Scenarios are designed to be about 4 to 5 hours in a go. You go in, do them and get out. Some are very combat orientated and others are a mix of mission tasks (which can be knowledge, diplomacy(intimated/bluff) checks, and so on), and a very rare few are very social orientated.

There are typically between four and six encounters in a scenario.

First Steps are a mix of the three styles.
-In Service to the Lore is a 'social/quest' event within Absalon, with combat
-To Delve the Dungeon Deep is your classic dungeon crawl, looking for trade agreements and a treaty weapon in a recently found siege castle
-A Vision of Betrayal is a cross country trek.

Modules fall into 2 categories.
-'Free Game Day Modules' are the freebies you can get off the site, and give  you 1 xp and 1 prestige point. (No faction misisons) because they tend to be short and quick (I've done We Be Goblins! in like.. 4 hours, would have been less but we were all laughing)
-Modules: Award 3 XP (A level) and 4 PP because they are longer and more involved.

Some scenarios are really fun. Rise of the Goblin Guild was lots of fun, creepy singing pyromaniac goblins in a sewer complex. Others have a 'mystery element to them. (Murder on the Throaty Mermaid and The God's Market Gamble). Others pit you against the Societies rivals the Aspis Consortium (Before the Dawn Pts 1 &2, Severing Ties (of particular note since the mission is to RUIN issues between the consortium and an ally rather than outright killing everything in sight))

Blinkin

Hmmm... went to the link, I now have an account and clicked the link to get a number... and didn't seem to get a number...

Is it someplace particular on the site, or inside another link on the site, or am I really as dense as I fear?

I downloaded the guide, and it seems to just be a series of numbers from 3 to 39 and that's it... I'll have to try to download it again, but the number thing concerns me... I would like to figure that damned thing out first.

And, of course, when I'm trying to do something like this, everyone in the house is calling my name. lol
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Callie Del Noire

Blinkin

It must have a major case then... I've clicked the link three times (Not the confirmation for a card, etc, but the "Join Pathfinder Society" link... it just sends me back to the same page again...

It's frustrating as hell, to be honest about it.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Blinkin on November 05, 2012, 06:20:57 PM
It must have a major case then... I've clicked the link three times (Not the confirmation for a card, etc, but the "Join Pathfinder Society" link... it just sends me back to the same page again...

It's frustrating as hell, to be honest about it.

Sorry.. best I can do is cut one of my confirmed numbers and scan it and send it to you. I'd suggest waiting for a bit and try again tomorrow.

Blinkin

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

swordwind

*raises hand* Would these be counted towards current PFS character in circulation? Or just for fun?

Kathadon

Never played Pathfinder, but I understand it is like D&D 3.75 right?
My ON'S and OFF'S:

I'll do whatever pleases but I'll bleed 'em in the end.

My BDSM test results.

Marie Reynolds

I would be intertested but i am not sure about joining a d20 based  organized play society cause I had very little love of Wizards abomination of one and was wondering if fi would be able to just use this game as a trial before i decide to join it.

Blinkin

Well, I have a character just about worked out, but the site still will not give me a number. (Either that, or it's not appearing on the site in a format that my screen reader can see at all).

I have a character about worked out, but again, don't see any way to register it and the guide appears to only have nnumbers from 3 to 39 and that's it... must be some major graphics around those numbers as it's more than 7M... but that is all I see. Another loss.

As I cannot seem to register with the society, can't find a way to enter a character into said ociety or even figure out how to find out more about the factions or even navigate the site particularly well... It may be time for me to give up on this idea. I would love to play, but it's starting to not be worth the hassle... particularly as there doesn't appear to actually be a way to contact the site's admin to see if something is wrong.

Suggestions will be welcome however... anyone else have trouble with a number thing?
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Blinkin on November 06, 2012, 03:43:53 AM
Well, I have a character just about worked out, but the site still will not give me a number. (Either that, or it's not appearing on the site in a format that my screen reader can see at all).

I have a character about worked out, but again, don't see any way to register it and the guide appears to only have nnumbers from 3 to 39 and that's it... must be some major graphics around those numbers as it's more than 7M... but that is all I see. Another loss.

As I cannot seem to register with the society, can't find a way to enter a character into said ociety or even figure out how to find out more about the factions or even navigate the site particularly well... It may be time for me to give up on this idea. I would love to play, but it's starting to not be worth the hassle... particularly as there doesn't appear to actually be a way to contact the site's admin to see if something is wrong.

Suggestions will be welcome however... anyone else have trouble with a number thing?

Hmmm.. Have you updated your browser recently? I'd also put comments up on their website message boards too. The technical help section most likely.

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on November 06, 2012, 03:00:13 AM
I would be intertested but i am not sure about joining a d20 based  organized play society cause I had very little love of Wizards abomination of one and was wondering if fi would be able to just use this game as a trial before i decide to join it.

Sorry, I know that Wizards has created some hate. My Venture-Captain has done organized play through Living Greyhawk/Forgotten Realms and Blackthorn.  He says they'd addressed most of the issues these groups had bi would suggest that you read through the play guide to see for yourself then.

Blinkin

I use IE 8... That's as good as it gets on this dinosaur... It's time to try to find some technical help, true...
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Blinkin on November 06, 2012, 09:30:05 AM
I use IE 8... That's as good as it gets on this dinosaur... It's time to try to find some technical help, true...

I use Firefox so I can't help, not to mention I typically use a Mac. The only time I use IE is for class work.

Blinkin

Ok, I got a registration number, thank you Callie, and I THINK a character registered... The site is not exactly easy to navigate, but Gyles should be there... at least the attributes.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Genbu83

Looks like I will finally be able to run my Arcane Duelist or Inquisitor

Blinkin

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Callie Del Noire

Sorry.. senior project and last weeks PFS real life obligations came up. .

Callie Del Noire

Any paizo class is allowed but some archetypes aren't. As well as some prestige classes

swordwind

So fighter of Brevoy would be a no go? Or a go ?

Callie Del Noire

You can be from Brevoy. Any traits, archetypes ect you want that are allowed by the society addition resources page?

swordwind

Well you see I do play PFS, but I've never heard about it being played forum based. Wondering if this would get reported on Piazo itself.