What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caehlim

Quote from: Joel on April 13, 2015, 07:26:20 PM
>_> australian?

I'm guessing no. We do have compulsory voting but he said Presidential candidates. We have Prime Ministers down here.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Wajin

In other news, the Turkish ambassador to Denmark is getting pissed over a sculpture commemorating the Armenian Genocide.

Thankfully though, our national politicians actually seems to be doing a good job saying "hey, freedom of speech and expression. Besides, it's the city council who okay'ed it"

On a more serious note, I can't for the life of me understand why Turkey just doesn't man the fuck up and admit they screwed up and apologize. It was a hundred years ago, the Ottoman Empire was different from modern day Turkey.
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

Oniya

Just because it strikes me - what are the circumstances in which the sculpture came to be displayed?  Denmark and Armenia don't initially seem to have much of a connection. (but I could be mistaken.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Dashenka

Yes but even if Turkey does, Azerbaijan (who were technically involved as well) won't. Not after Armenia stole their land. Few people know about this and all claim Armenia are the victims but they are not as innocent as people think :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagorno-Karabakh_War
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Dashenka on April 15, 2015, 07:14:52 AM
Yes but even if Turkey does, Azerbaijan (who were technically involved as well) won't. Not after Armenia stole their land. Few people know about this and all claim Armenia are the victims but they are not as innocent as people think :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagorno-Karabakh_War

But that does not excuse a genocide.

'An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.'

Which is odd that im saying this cause im usually the kind of person calling for retaliation..i think I need to go sit down and think.

Dashenka

Haha no the Nagorno-Karabakh war was after the genocide of the Armenians.

It's just a very sensitive subject in that area. Both the genocide by the Turks/Ottomans as well as the civil unrest that's now called the Nagorno Karabakh war.

Sensitive enough for other countries to stay out of it. I understand where Denmark is coming from with the statue/memorial but I also understand the outrage is causes in both Turkey and no doubt Azerbaijan as well.  So while they probably meant well, I think they also pissed off quite a few people.

These kind of beehives are best left untouched by neutral countries.

Lustful Bride

:'( I don't know what to think anymore *throws arms up* I give up. im going home.  :P

Dashenka

That's always a good idea, regardless the situation :D

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lustful Bride

Onto other topics then.

A Veteran was put on hold for ten minutes while calling the VA suicide hotline.....You know im not surprised, after having been to a VA hospital multiple times I don't expect anything less from the veteran's association. An absolute failure and cannot even come close to giving our Vets the help they need. >:(

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/vet-sat-hold-va-suicide-prevention-hotline-article-1.2185785

Edit: Removed my rant.  :P

Ebb

Quote from: A Japanese Dane on April 15, 2015, 07:08:49 AM
On a more serious note, I can't for the life of me understand why Turkey just doesn't man the fuck up and admit they screwed up and apologize. It was a hundred years ago, the Ottoman Empire was different from modern day Turkey.

Although there are very complex reasons of national pride involved, there's also a straightforward practical reason for the Turkish government to avoid the word "genocide". Turkey is a signatory to the Genocide Convention (along with 145 other countries). If they admit to committing genocide, using that word, then they open themselves up to significant penalties, including potentially huge reparations to survivors and families. If there were a way for them to acknowledge the actions taken without using that specific term then they might choose that route, but it would likely be seen as splitting hairs. So there's a strong economic incentive for them to swing to the other extreme, denying culpability.

There's a lot of focus on this issue now, since the events of the genocide began in 1915, 100 years ago next week. I hadn't heard about the Danish sculpture, but in US news there's been a lot of attention on the Pope's recent comments on the issue.

(Note that the term "genocide" wasn't actually coined until 1943.)

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Beorning on April 15, 2015, 11:54:45 AM
A protester disrupts a press conference of the chief of European Central Bank:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/15/ecb-protest-woman-interrupts-mario-draghi-speech

The protester... is kind of cute  ;)

"Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I'm flying!!!"

Mikem

This isn't really national or world news, but it hits personally. A young couple in their twenties, as well as their toddler were killed (crushed) when a section of concrete wall from a highway overpass fell onto their vehicle as they were passing under it in my hometown. All three died from the impact. From part of a highway I had driven on too many times before, on a road I had driven on too many times before. I just can't believe the timing. Right place at the right time, for the worst reason.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/14/us/washington-overpass-accident-concrete-barrier/
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. So why not take the scenic route?"

My Ons & Offs

Dimir

Technically not "news" but CBC here in Canada is currently airing a follow-up documentary on the BP Gulf Oil Spill disaster. The chemical dispersment that was used to deal with the oil is banned in several countries and when mixed with the oil, becomes extra toxic. People have chronic coughs and rashes when exposed to the gulf water and dry suits are melting and coming apart. Also tar balls continue to wash up on shore.

I pity the residents of that region, I really do.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

gaggedLouise

The immigrants/refugees/people trafficking boat that sank between Libya and Malta in the night leading into Sunday is topping the news here, a very discomforting story that once again blows open a wound of despair, war (in Africa), secret people smuggling and inadequate sea patrolling and funding. I just heard that the ship was only about 20 meters (about 70 feet) in length and that some of the persons on board may have been locked under metal gates, trapping them when the ship sank. I'm just thinking, how can a ship that's only 20 meter in length hold about 700 people - even if some of them are kids. And how desperate or thoughtless do you have to be to try to sail that ship, with that number of people, across hundreds of miles of open sea?

The words "floating coffin" have rarely seemed more appropriate.  :-(

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Dimir

Quote from: Beorning on April 20, 2015, 11:38:06 AM
It's been in the news over here, too.

Another hot issue is the recent comments of the FBI chief about the Holocaust and Poland:

http://www.thenews.pl/1/2/Artykul/204015,FBI-chief-Poles-partly-responsible-for-Holocaust
http://www.thenews.pl/1/9/Artykul/204080,Komorowski-Painstaking-work-needed-to-quash-WWII-stereotypes

I wonder if this is making into the news over in the States?

I don't think the FBI chief realizes that any Nazi occupied country had to bend to the Nazi's demands, including aiding in the Holocaust, so I agree that his comments were misworded.
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Beorning

Quote from: Dimir on April 20, 2015, 01:00:04 PM
I don't think the FBI chief realizes that any Nazi occupied country had to bend to the Nazi's demands, including aiding in the Holocaust, so I agree that his comments were misworded.

It's worse than that, actually. Poland wasn't a case similar to France, where the Nazis set up a puppet government - in Poland's case, there was *no government*. Germans have simply annexed a big part of Poland and made it a part of Germany - and what was left, was made into a territory named "General Government", which was also strictly under German control. No Polish government in any shape or form ever bent to the Nazis and co-operated in the Holocaust.

gaggedLouise

Astronomers have discovered a huge super hole in space - a giant void in the fabric of the universe that seems mysteriously empty of galaxies...

Is this where you might enter another universe? *knock knock*  ::)

Beorning

Or... is it a place where an Eldritch Abomination is trapped?  :o

Oh! I know what it is! It is the Eye of Terror!

Kythia

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Kythia on April 20, 2015, 03:27:30 PM
We've known about these godless epicentres of pure suckitude and void for a while.

Have you bumped into any Mackems lately, Kythia?  :D

Dashenka

Quote from: Kythia on April 20, 2015, 03:27:30 PM
We've known about these godless epicentres of pure suckitude and void for a while.

My ex girlfriend, who's from Newcastle, calls it Scumderland...

On a different note:

The UK government is beginning to look silly. The implement sanctions against Russia and Russian companies but they clearly haven't thought it through at all what the consequences would be. First BP had to pay a 3 billion pound fine to Rosneft for terminating the contract, now there's this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-32389369