Sith-War Era Star Wars Game GM?

Started by Bayushi, May 21, 2005, 08:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Natalie C. Barney

Well Risus RPG as my example you want to have a Force Telekinetic battle with another each roll dice, whoever loses takes 1 Hit Point who goes flying across the room. You want to run very very fast roll dice for a target number set by the GM usually 12-15 for normal powers. It leaves rooms for specialties if its wanted like FORCE LIGHTNING, DEFLECT BLASTER SHOTS, PRECOGNITION or FORCE CHOKE whatever. Most Jedi and Sith share certain powers like superhuman ability to leap, move fast, sense Force users, limited foresight, block blaster shots and such. And frankly I'm least likely to play if this is too complicated rule-wise or if there are no rules at all. I just hope we use an easy system that is flexible but not dependant on having any books.

My hit point system is very easy you start with 3 adding one for every PHYSICALLY DEMANDING CLICHE' over 2 Dice (like an athelete) and that plus one extra Hit Point for COMBAT ORIENTED CLICHE' (like a barbarian warrior). Each time you lose a dice roll you lose 1 Hit Point. You get to 0 you die. Under the basic system each time you lose you lose a Die from the pool this gives more realism but not overly complicated. You don't lose and dice to you dice pool for a skill. Like if you have Jedi Knight (4) you would under the core system lose 1 Die for the next roll, under this system it stays at 4 Dice.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Zaer Darkwail

Sorry fi I sound dumb, but I did nto understand anyword what you said about the rules (head to thick about DnD, Exalted and d20 star wars rules :P). IS there link wich explains these rules somewhere?

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on May 24, 2005, 04:42:35 PM
Sorry fi I sound dumb, but I did nto understand anyword what you said about the rules (head to thick about DnD, Exalted and d20 star wars rules :P). IS there link wich explains these rules somewhere?

RISUS: The Anything RPG.  ;D FREE, EZ TO USE ;D

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm

The English HTML rules are at the bottom of the website under RISUS IN ENGLISH. There are tons of rules there for everything from sci-fi to fantasy to super hero rules.

Hit point system is not there its my creation but takes a few paragraphs and can post it if the GM cares to see it.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Zaer Darkwail

Thanks for the link :). That system looks quite fun and simple. I would recomend we use only cliches and roll d6 instead multiple number types however.

Natalie C. Barney

Well the extra dice are good for some games but most use just D6. Like a super hero lgame might use other dice. But I like Risus RPG rules for many games where you focus more on role-playing. The HIT POINT system is real nice for more realism since save for PUMPING CLICHE'S the dice pools don't drop. In the short form...

All characters start at 3 HITS (normal humans get 2 HITS but I assume characters are a little tougher. Taking each dice pooll determine if its Non-Physical [example: Secretary], Physical [example: Scuba Diver] or Combat [example: Storm Trooper]. If the first no change but may have other benefits. Second for each die in the pool over 2 Dice add 1 HIT. If the last add an EXTRA 1 HIT if they get any bonus treating it as a Physical Skill. [After all they are trained to fight so should be fit and capable in a fight...so should be better able to take damage.]

In dice rolls its simple if you fail you lose 1 HIT. If you or the pump a skill you take 2 HITS if you lose the challenge and automatically lose one die from the pool as you "overextended" with the character as its a risky move. If you win the challenge THEY lose 2 HITS. Think in HIGHLANDER going for a head shot to end the duel in the movies. Normally the Dice Pool is unaffected. GM can require rolls that affect HITS like poison, traps etc. Setting a difficulty to match or roll over like needing to roll a 15 or lose 2 HITS from a pit fall trap.

We should use Hooks and Histories though they can add 1 or 2 extra dice if someone does both, and helps flesh out the character.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Brandon

After some thought Ive decided that Im going to bow out of this before I acctually come forward and say "Ill run it". My reasons for this vary but I think theres a little to much drama about systems, time lines, character conflicts, etc for my taste. If I were to run this it would be my own way and Im not a big enough star wars fan to care about a lot of this stuff when obviously you guys would. Some things would get changed that didnt match with something that I wanted and then the die hard SW fans here would get on my ass about it.

Im sure some people are saying "no we wouldnt" but Ive seen it happen before with people who said that exact same thing and for my time and effort I dont think its worth it. I do hope you guys find a GM who can handle this the way you guys want it done.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Hunter

It's Star Wars.  It's all drama.   ;D
Has anyone actually volunteered to run this?

Zaer Darkwail

Aaaaww! That's sad :(. Well, I do not know old republic times besides the games, also if most people do the dice rolling and my GM attention is not THAT much needed (besides run few npc, arrange encoutners, think big plot and such). I could try run this IF I get assistant DM who is expert in Old Republic lore (had read magazines wich I have not read) and players who do not mind if I run my own char as npc :P.

Bayushi

I know a bit about the Sith War era, which happens to be pre-Old Republic. But, much knowledge really isn't needed. It's effectively still the same as the Old Republic seen in Episodes 1, 2, and 3. Save that there are more Jedi, and far more than 2 Sith.

The Sith have their own Armies, depending on the particular Sith Lord, and there is one Great Lord/Lady of the Sith. The Jedi are much like as seen in the new Trilogy, except that there are a number of seperate enclaves on different planets, like the Enclave found on Dantooine in Knights of the Old Republic. There are a number of smaller Jedi Councils, usually one per Enclave, and one "Grand Council".

There are several different "departments" of the Jedi Order. First, there is the "military" arm, consisting mostly of Knight and Paduwan "Guardians". Qui-Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Mace Windu, and Anakin Skywalker are examples of Jedi Guardians. Guardians are usually highly proficient in lightsaber combat, tactics, and snubfighter piloting.

Second, there is the more "diplomatic" arm, the beauracracy, the teachers, the diplomats, and the researchers. As in the d20 version of Star Wars, this would consist of a few older "Guardians" and the Jedi "Councilors". Yoda and Palpatine are examples of Councilors, with Palpatine being a Sith Councilor. The Guardians tend to be most proficient in the use of the Force in means other than combat with a lightsaber. Telepathy, foresight, among other force powers are their forte.

Finally, there is the one secret 'order' of Jedi, which are known only to a few privelaged members of the Jedi "Grand Council". They are the Jedi Shadows. As far as the members of the Order know, the Shadows are simply powerful Jedi Guardians. The Shadows are the Secret Police of the Order, meant to hunt down Sith and root out the Dark Side within the Order itself. The Shadow is proficient in lightsaber combat, highly proficient in hand-to-hand combat, and stealth, disguise, trickery, and "dirty" tricks. Some Shadows have been known to completely eschew the use of lightsabers in favor of unarmed combat.

Tahiri Anashia

I know alot about the old republic :D I'll help.  oh oh pick me pick me ! :D

Brandon

Quote from: Hunter on May 25, 2005, 08:45:56 AM
It's Star Wars.  It's all drama.   ;D
Has anyone actually volunteered to run this?

Drama before Ive said theres going to be a game is bad. Drama within the game is good, very good.

and I do believe that I was the only one who said they would think about it.
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Zaer Darkwail

OK, Tahiri/Anashia will be the co-DM help me to create the plot. So EVERYONE, do the chars by the cliche rules and background/hook bonuses ARE also allowed, but they need either me or Tahiri/Anashia approval and also mention what cliche you plan buy those bonuses. We begin whit standard 10 cliches, everyone.

So, you can start post your chars to both me and Tahiri/Anashia and Tahiri/Anashia will discuss how we fit the char into the old republic world. We start before the rule that there can be only two sith, so there ar enumerous apprnetices and the one 'big bad' who then run all things in local sith enclave. So far all sith are humans, failed jedi adepts and fallen jedi and dark jedi. But there will be some 'real' sith who follow sith becuase it is their religion instead a different force path.

Zaer Darkwail

Hey! I saw that many created their chars! Post to me your chars so that I cna start ask Lilac a game thread space in Heavy Sexual :P.

Anycase I ahve comed to agreement to time where game is settled in. The time is Ulic's Redemption era, jsut after Ulic had got killed. Base story is that in Outer Rim is a conflcit between galactic corporatiosn over untouched resources in Outer Rim planets. So they have minor skirmishes so what! But the actual story begisn that someone or someone's are stirring the soup up, alot! Now that non-corporation planets are involved into conflict and the war is expanding too far form accetable level........

Natalie C. Barney

Sounds like fun seems to have lots of possibilities for mischief and mayhem, and some serious role-playing.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on May 27, 2005, 01:42:06 PM
Sounds like fun seems to have lots of possibilities for mischief and mayhem, and some serious role-playing.

Yeah, and thanks that it is most little known era, so I ahve alot creativity space :P.

Hunter

*has got too many ideas*
I'm so oblivious lately that it's not even funny.  Did game system, etc get decided upon and I missed it?

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on May 24, 2005, 04:54:01 PM
RISUS: The Anything RPG.  ;D FREE, EZ TO USE ;D

http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/risus.htm

The English HTML rules are at the bottom of the website under RISUS IN ENGLISH. There are tons of rules there for everything from sci-fi to fantasy to super hero rules.

Hit point system is not there its my creation but takes a few paragraphs and can post it if the GM cares to see it.

I decided to use this system because it is simple. Everyone chooses 10 cliches to descripe your characther. If you plan play Jedi, then simple 'Jedi Guardian' includes force use (offensive), jedi combat and combat acrobatics, while 'Jedi councilor' includes jedi combat, force use (non-offensive) and social interaction.

I also allow +1 extra cliche for long and well writen background and +1 extra from hook too.

Zaer Darkwail

OK, Tahiri/Anashia has convinced me to use d6 starwars rules. Everything is found below link, so click 'Handout' link to find out the char creation rules and characther template can be found in 'characther' link.

http://members.aol.com/vstarblaze/main.html

Zaer Darkwail

Oh, if any tempaltes do nto fit, you cna give a suggestion to anew template and you need send it both me AND Tahiri/Anashia for approval.

Natalie C. Barney

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on May 29, 2005, 12:58:47 PM
Oh, if any tempaltes do nto fit, you cna give a suggestion to anew template and you need send it both me AND Tahiri/Anashia for approval.

I don't mind these rules but I'm not going to run a force user- too complicated.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Zaer Darkwail

In what way? In playing wise or creation wise? If it is latter, I could try create your char for you :).

Natalie C. Barney

Well I played West Ends first rules for Star Wars so understand the system, but doing a Force User got harder in latter editions. When I played a Jedi or whatever I simply added the SENSE to the Lightsaber Skill for blocking and attack and CONTROL to damage. No specific Force Skills required. And a Jedi could try any skill they had the needed base Jedi skills for. In my opinion for authentic to the movies and novels allowing them many skills but some just harder to use taking more maturity as a Jedi. As it is now the whole idea of a Force Wielder using these rules is a turn off. The site doesn't even list the Jedi Powers and what they do.

What are the rules for a Basic Human (Attribute Allocation) I likely will do my own non-template character. I have ideas I kind of fancy the MERC COMBAT PILOT has their own fighter with personal modifications and upgrades from an old hull she found at a salvage dealer, aint pretty but she's good. She would be a mercenary for hire and fight in her ship whoever pays her well with maintenance and repairs extra. I was thinking a modified small transport like Fett's ship size (more streamlined) that could put up a really good fight. I can see it blazing blaster cannons, missles and little bombs that can fly out the back. Add armor and sheilds could be fun!
Might even have room for a few pasengers but be kind of cramped.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Zaer Darkwail

Aha, I see. Well what is others opinion about this? Do we use cliche rules or the d6 starwars rules? I prefer more personally the cliche rules becuase whit single cliche you can list things what you want able do whit and even I know what char is capable of rulewise.

Natalie C. Barney

Thats my choice too after all did you see the films once a Jedi hits 3D they should have access to all the standard jEDI ABILITIES (they do tend to have many skills with the Force with some specialty perhaps).
Natalie Clifford Barney

Zaer Darkwail

Yes, I think so. One d6 to each power and you need pass number 2 whit d6 roll to succeed to use a Jedi power whit 'common' effect (nat 1 is a botch and some reason force does not answer to your call).

Much harder performances need pass number 4 and then 6. Then legendary are 8 and 12. In way to reahc legendary results, you need add at elast one die more to specific force area; Sense, Control and Alter.

In all other skills hsve Difficulty numbers like normaly it does.