News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 21, 2014, 06:04:08 PM
True, there are minor orders and non militant ones, but outside of an Inquisitors retinue, you're not likely to see them on the tabletop anywhere :)

Actually, both the Dialogi and the Hospitallers have their minis and can be included in a Sororitas army (as a part of a Canoness' command squad). So, you *can* see them on the tabletop :)

TheGlyphstone

Hospitaliers I can see, medics and all that. But what does a Dialogous member contribute to a battlefield?

Beorning

They operate laud hailers, which strenghten the rest the army's faith. Meaning, they help with the miracles.

In fact, this ability makes them more useful than the Hospitallers, whose presence basically makes the command squad (and only the command squad) harder to kill (I guess that's what the Feel No Pain rule effectively means...).

TheGlyphstone

So they're the radio(w)men, then. That's probably the most useful job you're going to find for a linguistic scholar on a battlefield.

HairyHeretic

Probably a long shot, but do any of the Marine players here happen to have leftover bits from the Sternguard plastics? I'd like to try and get hold of some of the alternate bolters with drum and box magazines and don't particularly feel like picking up the whole set for a handfull of guns :)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Lustful Bride

Do we ever get a look into what the average Imperial Civilian's life is like?

Also do soldiers of the Imperial Guard/ Navy get shore leave?

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 22, 2014, 02:30:56 PM
Do we ever get a look into what the average Imperial Civilian's life is like?

Here and there. What you need to keep in mind is there are literally a million worlds within the Imperium. These range from feral worlds barely above iron age barbarism to high tech metropolises, factory worlds, agricultural worlds, shrine worlds, death worlds (where simply surviving to maturity is an accomplishment). Finding an average citizen might be somewhat tricky.

The Inquisition related novels will give more a view of the non military side of things though.

Quote from: Lustful Bride on November 22, 2014, 02:30:56 PM
Also do soldiers of the Imperial Guard/ Navy get shore leave?

Some would. I know some navy crew are press ganged, so I can't see them getting shore leave. Regular navy .. probably.

Imperial Guard would likely get leave when on garrison duty / rotated out of active combat. It's unlikely to be on their home world though.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

Beorning

I painted a new mini... this time, it's a Sister Superior (meaning, a squad leader):

It looks... alright, althought the face is a catastrophe, as usual. I didn't intend her to have those marks on her cheeks, they're the result of me trying to paint her eyes. Also, the shading doesn't work at all...

BTW. It took me 3.5 hours to paint her. Am I slow? How long does it take you to paint your minis?

HairyHeretic

For me, painting depends a lot on what I'm doing. I did a test piece today for my Night Lords Kill Team, as I didn't have the colours in the paintbox that I thought I did. It looks a bit darker than I was counting on, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I took a couple of pics, but they came out pretty poor, so I'm going to take more tomorrow when there's decent light. The model I did today took me about half an hour. I probably should have taken a bit longer on it, I know some of the paint was still wet when I was going over it with a second colour, but it still looks okay. Not wonderful, but it'll do for tabletop quality. I've spotted a few bits I missed or need to redo, but that's touch up work, and I can get it done tomorrow.

I have the squad of 10 to do tomorrow, so I can take an assembly line approach with them. Pick one colour, and work through all the stuff on each model that needs that colour. By the time I've done the lot, the paint should be dry enough to start on the next colour I want to do.

I also suck at painting faces, which is why I try to keep bare heads to an absolute minimun in every army I do :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Wow. Half an hour for a mini? You're fast... or, maybe, I'm really slow, then. As I said, it takes me about 3-4 hours to paint one mini... Hmmmm.

HairyHeretic

I've been in this hobby for 25 years, give or take. You kinda expect me to be a bit faster :)

Plus I'm not painting to a high standard. All I want is tabletop quality, which means I'm not using fancy techniques, or multiple coats and layers of shading and all the rest of it. I could probably try some of those, and maybe end up with a better painted model, but for me the fun is in the playing, and the fiction around the characters .. painting is a chore for me, and one I try to get through as quickly as possible :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 23, 2014, 05:24:27 PM
I've been in this hobby for 25 years, give or take. You kinda expect me to be a bit faster :)

Plus I'm not painting to a high standard. All I want is tabletop quality, which means I'm not using fancy techniques, or multiple coats and layers of shading and all the rest of it.

I'm not using them, either...  ;) Still, 3.5 hours!

HairyHeretic

Break it down into a timeline. What takes you 3 1/2 hours?

I did my Kill Team this afternoon, 10 models, in about the same length of time, going with something of an assembly line approach.

I sprayed the undercoat the other day, which I haven't included in the time.

After that I work by colour.

Base colour on the models (Necron Abyss). By the time I've done the 10th, I can come back around to the first and start on the next colour. It's darker than I planned to use, and looks almost black under the lighting here, but it's all I had in the paint box (I thought I had Kantor Blue, but meh). It's darker than I intended, but it'll do the job.

Bleached bone on the shoulder pads and helmets. I'm seriously out of practice on painting. Messier than I intended on the first couple, but I can touch up where it's overspilled. On a couple of trophy skulls too.

Red gore on the wings (shoulderpads and team leaders helmet), as well as on the helmet eye pieces and a few scopes and laser dots and such. And on the flayed head attached to the team leaders backpack. Teeth got picked out using the bleached bone in the previous pass.

Boltgun metal. Shoulder pad rims, chainblade teeth, weapon blades. I normally do the entire guns using boltgun metal, I wanted to see how they'd look in legion colours this time around. Thinking I may want to add it to some parts of the weapons to break the overall colour up. Probably to things like armour cables too. Right now, the models are very uniformly dark, for the main.

Lightning blue. First attempt at the Night Lords lightning bolts on the armour. Lightning blue for the corona, then skull white down the middle. I need a thinner brush and steadier hands. Meh, it's not too bad. Tabletop quality :)

Touch up. Necron abyss and red gore where other colours have overspilled.

They're sitting to dry now.

I wouldn't call them my finest work, but given I've painted nothing in the best part of two years, I'll take 'em :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Hm. I don't remember what I did when, exactly. But I'd say that I started with painting the armour red - that took about half an hour. Then, I painted the robe and the bolter black - another half an hour. And so on...

Overall, I try to paint colour by colour, in some sort of order that makes sense. As I mentioned, I started with the large parts: armour, robe and bolter. As I painted, I wasn't too concerned with the colours overspilling on small elements, like the silver chain at the waist, the hair, the insignia itd. When I was done with those two colours, I think applied silver to the sword's blade, the chain, the insignia, some bolter sections and the neck tubes. When I was done, I painted the sword's hilt with brass and so on...

I don't know. Sounds simple, but somehow it took half of my evening...

HairyHeretic

Do you use a very fine brush? The basic colour work I tend to use a fairly large one, then a finer brush for the more tricky bits.

I'm finding it hard to figure out how you'd spend so long on a single figure when it sounds you're doing things much the same way I am.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 24, 2014, 06:25:25 PM
Do you use a very fine brush? The basic colour work I tend to use a fairly large one, then a finer brush for the more tricky bits.

This time, I was using an 000, mostly. And a 0/10 for some really small details.

HairyHeretic

Hmm. My brushes are also old. I have basecoat brush, detail brush and fine detail brush :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Hm. I really don't know why I'm painting so slowly...

Anyway. Any photos of your minis, HH?

HairyHeretic

None worth sharing. The last batch were either too dark or out of focus. I'll try to get some at the weekend.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

Random thought: if they were gong to make a live action Warhammer movie, I would want it to be about the Imperial Guard and be sort of an underdog type tale with  a guardsmen regiment defeating or stallng an invasion. And hopefully be a 3 hour long movie.

I just don't really see any other kind of warhammer tale being movie worthy. But then again I might be wrong. :P

Lustful Bride

Actually I would be fascinated to see one on the Sisters.  ;D

Or maybe one on The Blood Ravens.

HairyHeretic

There's been at least one live action movie, a fan made one called Damnatus. I believe you can find it online if you go looking.

There's also the CGI one that's in production, The Lord Inquisitor.

For a live action movie, I'd love to see The Horus Heresy done. I know with all the books they've released it would be next to impossible to cram more than a fraction of that into even a trilogy. Maybe something like GoT though, a multi season mini series ... that'd work.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Lustful Bride

Quote from: HairyHeretic on December 02, 2014, 04:17:59 PM
There's been at least one live action movie, a fan made one called Damnatus. I believe you can find it online if you go looking.

There's also the CGI one that's in production, The Lord Inquisitor.

For a live action movie, I'd love to see The Horus Heresy done. I know with all the books they've released it would be next to impossible to cram more than a fraction of that into even a trilogy. Maybe something like GoT though, a multi season mini series ... that'd work.

My god I would totally pay for a mini series.  ;D