Smallest dx you ever spun successfully?

Started by Ajoxer, May 05, 2008, 08:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ajoxer

I've spun coins before, but they're not as much of a challenge as some of the more interesting dice. I've spun d6s, that's always fun to manage to get a cube spinning properly. I'm not sure if I've ever managed it with a D4, it'd be a pretty impressive feat.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

robitusinz

d4s are harder than the other dice, but not THAT hard, just use both hands.  Put your thumb against one edge, and your forefinger from that same hand against the edge perpendicular to the one your thumb's on.  Then put your middle finger on the opposing surface from your thumb, and your forefinger from that hand against a corner.  Then just spin.  :D  It'll take a few tries to get it right, but it's not as hard as it looks.

D20s basically spin themselves.  D12s too.  D10s are natural tops.  D8s are actually pretty hard to spin on their long axis, but spinning them on their sides is easy.  D6s are tricky, but they do have a natural axis once you find it.  D4s are definitely the hardest.

BTW, there are D20s out there that use a natural number progression where 1 is adjacent to 2, which is adjacent to 3, and so on.  If you look at one of those D20s, you'll notice that there's always a "side" that has 20, 19, 18, 17 and 16 all together, converging on one corner.  If you use the right motion, you can "spin" that D20 as you throw it and it greatly ups your chances of landing on a 16+.  I used to use one of those dice in a D&D game I was playing in and eventually got the throw right, which pissed off the DM (who's one of my best friends) to no end.  Once he figured it out, I stopped using the die, but me and my buddies had a huge laugh getting one over on this guy.  He was very "DM-versus-Players", and it was pissing US off...it was nice to flip the tables.
I'm just a vanilla guy with a chocolate brain.

Jeramiahh

I had a friend with one of those 'rigged' d20's... I told him to stop using it. It got very annoying when every other attack just 'happened' to be a crit. It got to the point the other players wanted to kill him for constantly stealing the spotlight. Of course, when he DM'd... he was worse. No adventure could be solved without his DMPC. So glad he's gone, now.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Hunter

Quote from: Ajoxer on May 05, 2008, 08:17:58 PM
I've spun coins before, but they're not as much of a challenge as some of the more interesting dice. I've spun d6s, that's always fun to manage to get a cube spinning properly. I'm not sure if I've ever managed it with a D4, it'd be a pretty impressive feat.

I have.  Kinda fun to do a d4, actually.

kongming

I spun a d2 once! Wait, that's a coin. Never mind.

Most of my DMs, back in Melbourne? If I continually rolled badly, I could just ask "Can we call this a (good roll) instead?" and they'd likely say yes. Heck, one DM has on a couple of occasions just given me a re-roll flat out.

"I got... a 4."
"Liar. Roll that where I can see it."
"O-kaaaaay.... 19."
"Much better."

On one occasion, that was rolling a statline on 4d6 drop 1. Using enormous foam dice (10cm3). There was no way he didn't see it. I tended to have good groups and DMs.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515