Avengers Grimm: Fairy Tale Superheroes (Recruiting! Please Join!)

Started by Mathim, September 24, 2016, 09:46:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mathim

Okay, third time's the charm, I hope (or is this the fourth? I can't recall.)

Do you like superheroes? Do you like fairy tales? Then this is the place for you! The idea is based on one of the most unexpected movies I've ever seen, Avengers Grimm, which I believe is still available on Netflix or in the $5 bargain bin at Walmart. It was made by The Asylum so if you know anything about them, it will either intrigue the hell out of you or put you off like nobody's business. The film itself is actually not half bad, all things considered, but it's more the core concept that I want to borrow for this game. Here's some more details if you're curious about the movie:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

So if that cover reels you in, here is the factual information:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4296026/?ref_=nv_sr_4
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avengers_Grimm

Essentially the concept is that most of our beloved fairy tales/folk tales' antagonists and protagonists have become empowered in some way, either by birth or by being gifted/trained with magic that manifests in a way that is reflective of their name, title or theme of their story. For instance, in the movie, Snow White lives up to her name by creating ice out of thin air and manifesting it into icicle stakes with which to fight. Cinderella can perform limited transfiguration spells (like her Fairy Godmother) and Sleeping Beauty can generate clouds of sleeping dust. Makes sense in each case, right? So we would try to follow in that spirit with a myriad of other characters for this game.

While the film revolved around them traveling to the 'real world' (not unlike Once Upon a Time) where they are the only ones with magic, for this game I think we'd be better of sticking to the fairy tale world and its mostly medieval-era setting, otherwise it gets too complicated.

The terrible villain Rumplestiltskin has his sights set on ruling the world and enjoys tormenting his victims and turning his conquests into his thralls. While in the movie his only ally was the Big Bad Wolf, this time around he's interested in recruiting any and all villains he can persuade into joining his campaign. Pretty much anything goes here, and even some neutral or ambiguous characters can be portrayed as villains in this game (I would suggest the Pied Piper, for instance.)

I would like to encourage some diversity here, rather than staying Euro-centric, so some suggestions are Ali Baba or Aladdin, Anansi the Spider, Sun Wukong/Son Goku the Monkey King, and Urashima Taro.

Pretty much anything works here, really, although I'd prefer to veer away from extremely obscure or vague tales that don't have much to them. Anyway, have at it! Let those creative juices flow and turn one of your beloved fairy tale/folk tale characters into a superhuman warrior or mage!

Let me give you an example of one of the characters I've modified to make into a superhuman:
Jack the Giant-Slayer
-Jack's journey up the beanstalk and the defeat of the Giant weren't the end of his tale. While up in the clouds, he learned the magic secrets the giant had been concealing and how it was possible to increase the size of almost anything made of gold. Jack collected all the gold coins he could carry and once back down from the beanstalk, turned them into wagon wheel-sized gold cylinders and made a fortune, retiring comfortably as a weaponsmith. But Jack was no fool and learned to protect his fortune with a fierce reputation; his knowledge of the Giant's secrets gave him the power to become a giant as well, thanks to the numerous enchanted gold face and body piercings all over him. Able to stand taller than a house, Jack is a force to be reckoned with. Basically he's Marvel's Giant Man or DC's Apache Chief, but with a fairy tale twist.

Here is our thread for posting character profiles and some general info about the world:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=256702.0
And our up-and-coming OOC thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=256703.0
And finally, the action-packed IC thread:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=256762.msg12682439#msg12682439

Easy, right? Just have fun with it. If you're interested but not sure who to pick, I have a ton of suggestions and ideas already written down. Here's a sample character sheet for submissions (this may update periodically so just fill in whatever new stuff comes in at your leisure):

Player Name:
Character Name/Identity: (Example - Princess Aurora/Sleeping Beauty)
Tale(s) of Origin:
Alignment: Anything from Chaotic Good, Lawful Good, Lawful Evil or Chaotic Evil
Abilities: This is for your abnormal magic-based talents that normal people can't do, including enchanted equipment and any spirit familiars they may have
Skills: Any normal weapons they specialize in and other talents like archery, tracking, setting traps, etc.
Backstory: Feel free to deviate from the norm to fit how you want to play the character as long as the core doesn't change so much that their ability wouldn't make sense. But you are welcome to change heroic characters to villains if you can make it work. The last bit should show their reaction to Rumplestiltskin declaring his violent intention to conquer the world's kingdoms and recruit other brutes and monsters to his ranks.
Personality: What sort of attitude do they have toward life, toward friends, strangers, enemies?
Orientation: Plenty of room for personal preference here (also any things kinky you might want done)
Appearance (please identify face claims where possible):
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Mac84

Interesting that Lou Ferrigno was in this movie as he played the Original Hulk from the 60's tv Series. X3

Mathim

LOL, yeah. If this were a more serious, big-scale game we'd make it set in the real world with both factions of good and evil recruiting normal humans to their side, with the evil side empowering them. But that would be way beyond a sustainable capacity for something like this.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Bekah Boo

Hmm placing my interest as this is right up my alley ;3
I'll work on a character sheet as soon as possible.

Mathim

Quote from: Bekah Boo on September 24, 2016, 07:06:05 PM
Hmm placing my interest as this is right up my alley ;3
I'll work on a character sheet as soon as possible.

Then I'll get a CS template up. BTW, who were you considering choosing?

Bekah Boo

Great I can't wait ;3
I was thinking either Rapunzel or Ariel.., haven't quite decided yet.

Fury Aphrodisia

This could quite possibly be legendary. I'm interested, but somewhat tentative at the moment because while I recognize all the potential, I have no idea what I'd play.
Fire and Flora - My Ons and Offs  - Updated May 17th '17 ---- Aphrodisia Acedia - (A&A's) - Updated September 9th '17 ---- Sinful Inspirations - Story Ideas - Updated May 17th '17

~I am not the voice of reason: I am the voice of truth. I do not fall gently on hopeful ears. I am strident and abrasive. I do not bend to the convenience of comfort. I am unyeilding. I do not change with wind and whim, but am always standing, unchanging, steady, constant and persevering. You rebuke me when you need me most, yet still I fight. The enemies of truth are everywhere. But I am not defeated.~

PrincessAriel

This is me taking another chance on a roleplay again. The other superpower ones I became interested in died quickly. :( Or never even got started.
Im up for a suggestion on a character. I'd love Belle because she is my favorite princess, despite my name being Ariel lol.
"Let Me See You
Stripped Down to the bone"

Mathim

Belle is a great choice. My suggestion for her is that the spiteful witch that cursed her lover let the curse infect her as well so that rather than curing him, it just made them both beastly, except that she can turn hers on and off at will. I'm open to other interpretations, of course, it's just what I came up with in trying to turn this into a short fiction.

If you're not sure, I'd suggest perhaps Gretel, if you're looking for a heroine, or if you're looking for a villainess, Maleficent or the Snow Queen.

PrincessAriel

Oooh! A beastly Belle! I like it! I didn't even think of that.
The witch tells Beast about true loves kiss, but instead of turning him back into human, it transforms his true loves kiss into a 'monster' like him.
I feel like she'd grapple with anger issues, but the beastly thing may not trouble her as much. I mean, Beast is pretty awesome after all and being just like him, well, that's not too bad! :3 Maybe her anger causes her to change in a Hulk kind of way, something she's trying to work on keeping herself stable so she doesn't change as much. 
"Let Me See You

Mathim

Quote from: PrincessAriel on September 24, 2016, 10:01:39 PM
Oooh! A beastly Belle! I like it! I didn't even think of that.
The witch tells Beast about true loves kiss, but instead of turning him back into human, it transforms his true loves kiss into a 'monster' like him.
I feel like she'd grapple with anger issues, but the beastly thing may not trouble her as much. I mean, Beast is pretty awesome after all and being just like him, well, that's not too bad! :3 Maybe her anger causes her to change in a Hulk kind of way, something she's trying to work on keeping herself stable so she doesn't change as much.

Well my idea was that the tradeoff for her being able to control her own transformations is that her lover's mental state fluctuates. So when she's beastly in form, he's his rational human self. But when she stays in human form too long, he degrades into a feral savage. So when she's called upon to join up with the rest of the heroes, she has to leave him locked in his dungeon for his and everyone's safety since she can't stay beastly all the time (like if she's asleep for too long, or something). But you can have her go the Hulk route with it, that might actually be more interesting. I'm just thinking of a way that they don't both need to be around in case we can't find someone to play him too.

PrincessAriel

Oh! I see! I like that idea quite a bit actually! It keeps her from simply staying human all the time. And it fixes the priblem with maybe not finding a Beast as well. Like you stated. :) Of course, he will have all he needs in the dungeon, she would have made certain of that. I think, for his sake, she will try to stay beastly for as long a period as she can so he can enjoy his time being human.
"Let Me See You

Mathim

Quote from: PrincessAriel on September 24, 2016, 10:39:37 PM
Oh! I see! I like that idea quite a bit actually! It keeps her from simply staying human all the time. And it fixes the priblem with maybe not finding a Beast as well. Like you stated. :) Of course, he will have all he needs in the dungeon, she would have made certain of that. I think, for his sake, she will try to stay beastly for as long a period as she can so he can enjoy his time being human.

And the cursed servants will bring him food and stuff (no silverware, obviously) like always since the curse didn't get broken like the story normally ends.

Majabya

I like the concept of this game, count me in!

Would the Steadfast Tin Soldier count? If not, I got plenty more ideas, it's just that I always liked that story for some reason.

Mathim

Quote from: Majabya on September 25, 2016, 10:47:31 PM
I like the concept of this game, count me in!

Would the Steadfast Tin Soldier count? If not, I got plenty more ideas, it's just that I always liked that story for some reason.

Ah, wonderful question. I'm thinking that it might be too Herculean a task to include characters from things like the expansive Oz universe, the Wonderland fables and Greek mythology since those alone would probably be able to provide a pantheon of characters sufficient to create their own games of this variety. If you wanted to play a similar character, I've got a suggestion for a way to make Hansel capable of taking on a metallic body for a time.

Majabya

Quote from: Mathim on September 25, 2016, 11:11:04 PM
Ah, wonderful question. I'm thinking that it might be too Herculean a task to include characters from things like the expansive Oz universe, the Wonderland fables and Greek mythology since those alone would probably be able to provide a pantheon of characters sufficient to create their own games of this variety. If you wanted to play a similar character, I've got a suggestion for a way to make Hansel capable of taking on a metallic body for a time.

I think we may have gotten our tin dudes mixed up a little. The one I was referring to was Hans Christian Anderson's short story about a toy tin soldier and a paper ballerina.  It ends with 'ringing finality', so I doubt there's any further cannon to deal with. That said,  it is good that you mentioned the whole "no expansive continuity" thing, cause that was a good chunk of my backup ideas.

Also, sorry for the slow reply, posting from work, gotta do it on breaks.

Mathim

Quote from: Majabya on September 26, 2016, 12:14:11 AM
I think we may have gotten our tin dudes mixed up a little. The one I was referring to was Hans Christian Anderson's short story about a toy tin soldier and a paper ballerina.  It ends with 'ringing finality', so I doubt there's any further cannon to deal with. That said,  it is good that you mentioned the whole "no expansive continuity" thing, cause that was a good chunk of my backup ideas.

Also, sorry for the slow reply, posting from work, gotta do it on breaks.

Ah, yes, my mistake. But that other stuff needed to be said. If we restricted Oz to the first story only, it might be okay, but I know there's loads more that Baum wrote.

You're welcome to use the Tin Soldier but I don't really know how you'd make him big enough to play a meaningful role, nor what kind of power he'd be imbued with other than being made of a moderately sturdy metal.

Majabya

Quote from: Mathim on September 26, 2016, 08:50:53 AM
Ah, yes, my mistake. But that other stuff needed to be said. If we restricted Oz to the first story only, it might be okay, but I know there's loads more that Baum wrote.

You're welcome to use the Tin Soldier but I don't really know how you'd make him big enough to play a meaningful role, nor what kind of power he'd be imbued with other than being made of a moderately sturdy metal.

I was thinking about my guy being an actual red coat that got enchanted with tin properties after getting/giving a raw deal with a wizard/witch. I've found a couple tales that follow that kind of mind set, (The bearskin, the blue light, the tinderbox, etc), and I'd honestly be alright with a almost literal dime store Colossus.

Mathim

Well what with being so diminutive and missing a leg in the story, it just would require a lot more imagination to make it work. But I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of it.

Mathim

In case anyone is still on the fence, here's a comprehensive list of characters I've put lots of thought into for turning this into a short fiction (i.e. devising powers and some backstory), so you might have a chance to gravitate towards a character you might not have thought of before:

-Snow White
-Cinderella
-Sleeping Beauty
-Belle
-Red Riding Hood
-The Huntsman/Woodsman (same person, involved with both Snow White and Red Riding Hood's tales)
-Frog Prince
-Thumbelina
-Jack and the Beanstalk
-The Little Mermaid
-Rapunzel
-Hansel and Gretel
-Puss in Boots
-Anansi the Spider
-Sun Wukong the Monkey King

And villains:
-Rumplestiltskin
-Maleficent
-Wicked Queen
-Big Bad Wolf

I've mentioned others (trying to find more diverse worldly fairy tales) but haven't fleshed them out as of yet. But if I can put a spin on any of them, surely others can do the same.

PrincessAriel

Someone better pick up Puss in Boots lol. That would be dang cute! ^_^
Also, I'm trying to find a perfect Belle face claim.
"Let Me See You

PrincessAriel

Player Name: PrincessAriel
Character Name/Identity: Belle
Tale of Origin: Beauty and the Beast
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Abilities: She can change her human form to that of beastly form whenever she wishes, though she usually does stay in her beastly form. Whenever she is around humans, she knows it's best to be in her human form, though it pains her beloved Beast; whenever she is human, he is not. When in her beastly form, she has control over herself, but has a habit of losing her temper quicker than normal. She is stronger, faster, her voice is gruffer, she has a set of horns and brown tuffs of hair in places humans do not.
*She also has a magical mirror that she uses to check up on Beast and her father (mainly Beast).
Skills: She can track, using her keen sense of smell to find foes that others may not be able to find. She has a proficiency in hand-to-hand combat, not really liking weapons all that much since such weapons were so often used against her lover and herself for what they look like.
Backstory: Belle had a father, a father she loved so very dearly, and two sisters who despised her for reasons she never could understand. They often whined and complained about anything and everything, especially when they didn't get there way, whereas Belle simply tried to enjoy the present and not let her troubles bog her down. When their father lost all his money to dept, she didn't complain, when they moved into a small house and had to eat little for dinner, she kept smiling. She helped out by working in a store for books, giving all her earnings to her father, keeping only a coin here or there for herself so she could buy books for herself or materials for making herself a new dress. One night, her father ventured out, away from town, to meet a cargo ship so he can get their money back and restore their fortune, but when he arrives, the money is already gone due to the dept he still owed. On his way home, he get's lost, but luckily stumbles upon a castle. Her father finds no one in the castle and helps himself to some food that had been prepared. When he awoke in the morning there was breakfast prepared for him and he assumed that this was perhaps the doing of a very kind fairy.

On his way out, her father stops to a pick a rose from the garden for Belle and this is when he is confronted by an angry Beast, who felt like Belle's father was now taking advantage of his hospitality. Upon hearing that the man has daughters, he agrees to spare his life on the condition that one of his daughters willingly take his place. Before the man is sent home, Beast allows him to fill a chest with a gold to take with him. When his children hear of the Beast and his demands, they are sorrowful and his two elder daughters wail loudly. They see that Belle is calm and not crying, and they despise her for it. Belle tells them that she will not cry because she will not allow her father to die because of her. She volunteers to take her father’s place as the Beast’s prisoner, and her sisters are secretly thrilled at the prospect that the Beast may devour her. When she arrives, the Beast is kind to her, so very kind.

Belle goes to the palace where the Beast informs her that she is now mistress of the castle and that he is her servant. There are other servents there, they had once been human as well, but they too had been affected by Beast's curse. They keep her company as she passes her time in the library and by exploring her new home. Each night she has supper with the Beast who stays by her side. Each night the two conversed and each night, the Beast would ask Belle to marry her, only for her to reject his proposal. Still fearful of the Beast, despite his kindness, she refuses his proposals for months. He becomes grumpier each time, but he still shows her kindness because he has fallen head over heals for her. It is because of these feelings for her that he allows her to visit her father and family again under the condition that she would return to him after one week. Belle agrees and is given a magic ring that could transport her back to her family on a whim, and she uses that to be reunited with her kin. Belle’s sisters, who had since married, were furious to see their sister alive and dressed more elegantly than they were. Being the spiteful, horrible souls they were, they concocted a plan to convince Belle to break her promise to Beast and to stay longer than a week in an attempt to anger the Beast into devouring Belle

Belle fell for this ruse. With her sisters pretending to be nice to her and showing her a level of affection she had never experienced from them, she promised them to stay one week longer. In this time, she began to feel guilty for being so long apart from Beast whom she longed to see again. It was on her tenth night away from him she had a nightmare of Beast dying that she awoke in tears. She used the ring right away, only to find Beast lying on the floor of his rose garden. She ran to him, so very scared that his time had run out, that his curse had come to a horrible end. So fearful was she, she held him close to her as she kissed him. Tears rolling down her face, she watched as he blinked at her, his tuffs of hair falling away. She watched him become human, only to have her body transform before him.

Their love, her true love for him, was suppose to break Beast's curse for good, but the curse changed her as well, transforming Belle as Beast became human. While one is human, the other cannot be. He cared not for what she looked like, having been transformed for so long himself, but the shock of such a transformation startled her. At first, she kept in her human form for as long as she could, but while in human form, Beast's emotional state would become unstable and he would become violent. So she embraced her beastly form, all so he could stay human.

When Belle first heard of Rumpelstiltskin, she had hoped maybe he could help to find a 'cure' for their curse, but when his declaration of wanting to rule the kingdoms became apparent and he started trying to recruit monsters and villains, she lost hope for getting his help. Instead, she decided to fight against him; he was just like the witch who had put a curse upon her Beast, evil and controlling.
Orientation: Pansexual
Appearance: (Emmy Rossum)

"Let Me See You

Tokyorose627

this sounds really interesting! I want to have a male magic user, mostly because I really want to you Tom Felton AKA Draco Malfoy as the Faceclaim, but there aren't many evil male wizards in stories, has there? :P

Bekah Boo

Almost done with our Thumbelina, she's going to be quite fun.
;3

PrincessAriel

Quote from: Tokyorose627 on September 28, 2016, 08:31:31 PM
this sounds really interesting! I want to have a male magic user, mostly because I really want to you Tom Felton AKA Draco Malfoy as the Faceclaim, but there aren't many evil male wizards in stories, has there? :P
Hm. I can only think of Jafar lol. xD
"Let Me See You