Dilma Impeachment or Resignation being called for...

Started by Deamonbane, March 15, 2015, 10:28:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deamonbane

As any google search would tell you, Dilma was recently re-elected into the office of President of Brazil last year by a margin of maybe 2%(It ended up as 51% for Dilma to 49% for Aecio Neves, the runner up. There has been talk of tampering with the elections, although investigations were inconclusive. Personally, not really surprised about that). Thanks to the FIFA World Cup expenditures last year as well as announcement on top of announcement of corruption at the highest levels (And going on some levels of extreme and ridiculous, including high standing officials creating non-existent positions for their friends and family, not having to work and still recieving upwards of R$10,000 a month) has brought people to the breaking point. Today, people have decided to go on a march on one of the central avenues of the city, called Avenida Monumental, and which leads up to the center of the Government, to call President Dilma Rousseff's resignation from office or, failing that, Impeachment.

Honestly, I applaud the people going for it, even if I feel that falling short of a full overhaul of the country's political and judiciary system, even the president's impeachment will do little good other than let the next president know that he/she should be a little more discreet. I'm a little cynical about the government that way.

However, what drives me to post this is the fact that while there are protests like these happening all over the country, with cities like São Paulo and Rio De Janeiro gathering over 30,000 people each, where I live and am now working, in a hotel in the center of Brasilia, the Capital, are currently gathering what local police are estimating at 50,000 people, with hopes of going north of 100,000 in hours, less than 100 yards from where your Dear and Beloved Bane is currently sitting.

I couldn't find any relevant new clippings in English, but feel free to search. Thoughts, comments and opinions are welcome.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."