A note for Discord users

Started by Rook Seidhr, October 19, 2018, 06:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rook Seidhr

Discord's recent change to their Terms of Service includes a mandatory binding arbitration clause. You have until Nov 15th 2018 to opt out by emailing arbitration-opt-out@discord.com from the address associated with your Discord account.

This link has some more information.

This link explains succinctly why mandatory binding arbitration clauses are bad.

Sara Nilsson

oO wow that is really scummy on their part.

Lilias

To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Lilias on October 19, 2018, 08:22:33 AM
The clause applies exclusively to US users. The rest of the world do not have to opt out.
I'm not sure how many other places mandatory binding arbitration clauses are even legally enforceable. I don't think they are in the EU, for instance.

Blythe

Thank you for the heads up on this so I could do that opt-out option.

The Dark Raven

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

Thesunmaid

I am thinking I did not get one because I am in Canada. But thank you for the heads up in case I get something for it.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Thesunmaid on October 19, 2018, 07:49:04 PM
I am thinking I did not get one because I am in Canada. But thank you for the heads up in case I get something for it.
I'm not sure what you mean by "get one"?

Oniya

The notification about the opt-out might not have been sent to all users, depending on their location.  Just like MMO's have different servers depending on where you're logging in from.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Rook Seidhr

Quote from: Oniya on October 20, 2018, 02:02:37 AM
The notification about the opt-out might not have been sent to all users
The only notice was a blue bar at the top of the screen the first time each user logged in on or after October 16. At the time, the clause was written to apply to all users worldwide. Discord reacted to negative feedback by narrowing it to US users on the 18th.

I know I clicked through that bar without paying attention. You may have too. EDIT: It's also possible, if you haven't exited and restarted Discord since the 16th, that you haven't been shown the blue bar yet.

Mirrah

Speaking of the blue bar, it just showed up for me today, after I restarted the program. It's labeled, "Our Terms of Service have been updated to support the Discord Store Launch! <See Terms>".
"Dream... not of what you are... but of what you want to be." - Margulis
Status: Closed. Semi Hiatus. | Have you taken care of yourself today?

Sain

This guy explains it to us non-law people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHKtl074B6k

Apparently it basically was a precaution against unjustful class action lawsuits, but at the same time gave regular users with legitimate concerns easier way to file class action lawsuits against Discord IF they do something that is actually harmful. So it is not really entirely as "scummy corporate move" as it might seem like at first reaction.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301