News:

Main Menu

Razzle Dazzle 'Em

Started by RhymesWithOrange, January 24, 2012, 08:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RhymesWithOrange

I'm a theatre person - everything I learned about writing characters came from learning to act them. What are your favorite stage shows and musicals?

Inkidu

The Music Man, but I actually like the Robert Preston movie version the best. Though, Jeff Goldblum did a stage show of it, and it was really good.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Faustus

A child of the theatre? Well, hello there, fellow thespian!

For me, my favoured musicals are :
  • Les Miserables - I did not get the chance to see this perform live in London, and I whine and mope about this every day. I feel like I missed something. I had to read the novel when I was in High School, and to make sure everything stuck I picked up the musical to watch. That evening, I went online and ordered the CDs - It hooked me so fast!
  • The Fantasticks - I'll always have a soft spot for this due to when I performed in it. I was cast as the Mute (or Mime, to some), and while that isn't some "title" role, I'll tell you. . . I did a heckuva lot more than those main actors did. Prop box just about killed me, and all the confetti I had to pull out of my pockets. . .
  • Phantom of the Opera - Totally counts. I love the music, I love the songs, I love the story. I think it's most every theatre-kids dream to work with this one, though.
  • Oliver - Obligadory answer, as it was my first large theatre performance when I was a child.
  • 1776 - One of the only ways I continue to pass American History classes. Somehow, it all becomes better with this. Same could be said for Assassins.
  • Fiddler on the Roof - Ugh, my other dream piece. One day I will perform in you.

I second The Music Man, but also add without commentary, good pieces such as CATS, Hedwig and the Angry Inch, and Wicked.

For actual stage productions, most of mine are classics, such as : Midsummer Nights Dream (When you've played Puck, you kinda have to put it, I think it's a requirement, haha), Twelfth Night, The Tragedy of Doctor Faustus / Faust, and this other piece. . . Ugh, damn me, I can't think of it's name right now. I'll add Faust under the opera category too, along with pieces like Don Giovani.

Why, no, theatre wasn't one of my minors, why in the world would you think that?

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]

Inkidu

I've also got a weird place in my heart for The Death of a Salesman. I can't say I like it, but I appreciate it. I appreciate the hell out of it.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

RhymesWithOrange

Well, hello! (It's okay, you didn't minor, I don't teach it - we're all normal people here!) I'm going to blaspheme and go ahead and say you're probably better off not having seen Les Mis; it's incredibly difficult to do well, and I've seen a few different productions including the touring B'way cast, and have yet to be impressed. The music is gorgeous, though.

I never liked Death of a Salesman until I saw a really phenomenal production where Willy was played as having pretty severe Alzheimer's. It was a really gorgeous piece of work; there's something to be said about drama that has the guts for unhappy endings. 'Night, Mother is like that, too.

Styx26

My favorite musical has got to be Guys and Dolls. I fell in love with the movie, watched it performed by high-school kids once...
I count The Wiz as a musical, though some might not see it that way. West Side Story is a classic, and I saw Grease at a concert hall with a performance by the guy that sang 'Beauty School Dropout'... 
And Rent has a special place in my heart. :)
Ons and Offs
RP Ideas, Characters
A/A's
Patience is a virtue... it's a good thing I'm trying to be more virtuous! ^^
Quote from: Wolfling72 on December 06, 2013, 06:23:12 PM
Do NOT encourage the Padawan!

Faustus

Quote from: RhymesWithOrange on January 25, 2012, 08:15:11 PM
Well, hello! (It's okay, you didn't minor, I don't teach it - we're all normal people here!) I'm going to blaspheme and go ahead and say you're probably better off not having seen Les Mis; it's incredibly difficult to do well, and I've seen a few different productions including the touring B'way cast, and have yet to be impressed. The music is gorgeous, though.

I never liked Death of a Salesman until I saw a really phenomenal production where Willy was played as having pretty severe Alzheimer's. It was a really gorgeous piece of work; there's something to be said about drama that has the guts for unhappy endings. 'Night, Mother is like that, too.
The one that is strongest for me is the original Albert Hall cast - However, I did not actually see the full stage-production of it done by said cast. I witnessed the reunion piece, where it basically flowed song-to-song, and the bits inbetween were covered by very brief, silent acting and cues from projectors. I still want to see it, but only if they do it nice and right. I've seen some of the latest touring cast and...I wasn't impressed either. I even winced a bit.

'Night, Mother? That one I haven't heard of. Off to google with me!

“You may my glories and my state depose,
But not my griefs; still am I king of those.”

ON's and OFF's || Plots and Ideas || A/A's and Owed Posts [Updated 02/12! Please see.]