Interest check: Spears of the Dawn!

Started by MadPanda, September 25, 2021, 11:55:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

Thumbnail--OSR style sandbox fantasy role-playing in an African-themed setting rather than the usual oft-retrodden Tolkienesque quasi-European Feudalandia.  PCs are extraordinary persons striving to rid the Three Lands of the remnants of the Sixth Kingdom, the accursed and undying Eternals who were defeated in battle a generation ago by the Last Emperor.  Amazonian warriors, fabled treasures, fantastic beasts, ancient ruins, and more await!

Looking for three to five brave and stalwart souls willing to clear out a few mastabas, put the smack-down on bandits, maybe save a village or two (if not a kingdom) and change the world by their deeds and their choices.
Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

Muse

Ooh!  Me!  Me!  Pick me!  Excited dancing and screams!
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

MadPanda

Yali has a predesignated spot at the table, amigo.  ;D

In Memory of Bishrook

Chulanowa

MadPanda

It is certainly a bit different...but part of what attracted me to the project was the designer, whose work never fails to be worthwhile, saying in essence "here's a whole milieu that gets almost no attention in the hobby but which has everything we expect! Let's see what I can do with this".

In Memory of Bishrook

Juggtacular

MadPanda

Okay!

At the moment I'm thinking about just cutting to the dungeon (to get things off to an active start) and maybe doing "side" initiative instead of individual initiative to help reduce delays.

Thoughts?

In Memory of Bishrook

Allangar

Vlexia

This sounds amazing. I have always wanted to do a more African based fantasy setting!

My only hesitation is that I haven’t played the RPG game. I will definitely be reading up on it, but my hand is raised for the effort!

If you cannot honor a No, then you certainly could never honor a Yes.

MadPanda

Vlexia, if you  have any experience at all with BEMCI, AD&D of any edition, or Pathfinder, you almost certainly know how this game works, which is exactly why the designer chose OSR rules: they are familiar and fairly simple. (And if you don't? No worries! Just remember to ask questions of your fellow players and you'll pick it up in no time at all. The only likely problem is that because these rules are more like Basic D&D than Pathfinder, you might need to unlearn some things.)

Okay, sounds like we have enough brave and extraordinary souls to consider this. I know Muse has a character already.

For everyone else, you start with the old standby of rolling your six stats on 3d6.  :D  I'll get some char-gen help together on my gdrive.

In Memory of Bishrook

Muse

Vlexia I'm happy to help if you like.  I help a lot of beginners, and I'll give as much or as little aid as you like.  I can just point you towards stuff if that's what you need.  If what you want i for me to talk you through it from a story perspective, help you put together a character that fits, and then provide the numbers to fit that character, I'm just as happy to do that. 

M.P., I do love Yali but I'd be perfectly happy trying someone else, too. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Chajesdad

Is there still room at the table? I am so into this. Will it be using the standard class concepts, for r will there be medicine woman/witch doctor concepts?
What were you thinking just now?

https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=31109 Ons and Offs

MadPanda

Muse, it'd be a shame NOT to use poor Yali!

Chajedsdad, you are likely going to be interested in the Nganga class. And we are probably close to capacity, but there's always room for a nganga.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Official chargen, resource, and OOC thread coming when I figure out rating and title.

Have some resources! At a minimum, read the Player Intro, char gen, and system summary. If time permits, read Life in the Three Lands and the History.

If Marabout, Griot, or Nganga, read the magic bits.

If Marabout, also read Religion.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1O1E2tu70GbJ5Ik8VOuTXeGrWS7lEtebl

In Memory of Bishrook

Allangar

Can i keep Afia, my nganga, my lagredi girl

Juggtacular

Quote from: Muse on September 28, 2021, 11:00:23 AM
  Vlexia I'm happy to help if you like.  I help a lot of beginners, and I'll give as much or as little aid as you like.  I can just point you towards stuff if that's what you need.  If what you want i for me to talk you through it from a story perspective, help you put together a character that fits, and then provide the numbers to fit that character, I'm just as happy to do that. 

M.P., I do love Yali but I'd be perfectly happy trying someone else, too.

Can I ask for some help too? I absolutely love system games but sometimes my brain gets all wonky when trying to work out my character.

MadPanda

Allangar, you may.

Juggs, just ask!  ;D This is almost BEMCI simple, but not quite.

In Memory of Bishrook

Juggtacular

Quote from: MadPanda on September 29, 2021, 09:53:59 AM
Allangar, you may.

Juggs, just ask!  ;D This is almost BEMCI simple, but not quite.

...I ask.  XD

MadPanda

Go grab the char gen doc from the shared folder. Follow the steps. Ask questions when you get stuck.

First step is to roll your stats: roll 3d6 six times to get your Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. I allow you to assign the results as you wish but it is simpler to roll them in order.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Also, apologies in advance if I ever answer the wrong question. I do that a lot--feel free to circle back if my answer is off base or makes no sense.

In Memory of Bishrook

Chajesdad

The Chargen Doc says too big to dl. What should I do.
What were you thinking just now?

https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=31109 Ons and Offs

MadPanda

Yikes! That's unexpected.
Okay, when I am home I will post snippets here.

ETA: apologies, folks! For some reason that file clocks in at 45Mb which is about 4 times larger than the core book! Not sure what happened. If I have to, I will pdf smaller sections for you.

In Memory of Bishrook

Chulanowa

I simply bought the book from drivethruRPG  ;)

MadPanda

...or that, yeah...

(laugh)

But seriously, I have 2 PCs already (generated for an earlier attempt at this game) and with these numbers there will be no need for a certain smol, bald, cranky nganga.

In fact, with this group, there are more than enough for me to try some AW 2e style "love letters" for kingdom turns in between adventures! So watch your inboxes, O Spears!

ETA: printed as an image, it's down to about 25mb. Which is effing nuts because the core book itself is 16mb.  Ayyy carumba.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook