Armageddon in the first degree. *Interest thread!*

Started by Wolfie, January 09, 2013, 09:41:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfie

So I got a group roleplay I want to do. Here is the gist of it:

It is the year 2515 and the entire world is torn with war over the planet's diminished resources. It is at the point where no country has an ally. After a chemical strike from an unknown source hits major cities around the globe; millions perish from what would appear to be heart failure. To the world's surprise however, some of these persons rose to live again with very special abilities. The question remains however, who tried to eradicate the human race? One man is responsible, and the world has put aside its differences to find him.

This is NOT a zombie rp! It is based on my own ideas for a book I would like to write at some point in time. So I would really like this one to work out well. If anyone has any ideas for me at anytime let me know. I'm always happy to hear your thoughts on this!

AribethAmkiir

So is this game about the people who "rose again"?  Normal citizens simply trying to survive?  The military personnel trying to find the culprit of the attack?  All of the above?

How many people "rose again"?  Are they easy to spot or do they look like everyone else?

Wolfie

Ah yes, I suppose it would be best to clarify that.
It would be all of the above for a big group, the reborn for a small group. In regards to how many were reborn, it would be one in every million. They appear no different than anyone else.

Interested

What are our powers linked to ? Genetic abilities or X-Men type impossible mutations, like Storm's ability to control the weather?

Wolfie

I would prefer to keep these abilities primarily genetic and relating to ones own body.

Caitlin

How large a group are you aiming for? If you're going to do all of the above then I'm guessing 10 - 15 people? However, if you're aiming at a group of 5 or so then I'd recommend picking one of those groups and build up on that.

Your idea definitely sounds interesting, but with only a few basic ideas and without a real plot line it'll be hard to make up my mind about this. I think that in general it'd help if you could clarify what the game will be about and what it will definitely not be about. It helps knowing that the reviving doesn't include zombies, but it still leaves a lot of questions open as well. :-)

Either way, good luck with developing this game. I think you're potentially onto something big that can be a lot of fun.

Wolfie

I didn't think of that. Granted, this is still a work in progress and I don't have much experience when creating my own plots but this is a general idea I've had for some time. Everyone pointing out these things has put to my attention that I really need to fine tune this idea, and I appreciate it. Over the course of the day I will be working on the 'bigger picture'. More than likely I will take a small group and push for it to be about the reborn. Keep checking in and you'll see it improved in no time!  ;D

Caitlin

Having a story involving a new breed of humans with enhanced skills would be very cool, especially if you can't see the changes on the outside.

Years ago there was a series on TV that involved an evolved version of mankind with that possessed superior intellect and were eventually aiming to overthrow the dominant homo sapiens. At the time of the TV Show their numbers were small, but growing. I believe they were also resistent to disease, stronger, more intelligent, aged older and in better physical/ mental condition, quicker reflexes, etc.

Maybe you can use some of that for your ideas, possibly adding in telepathy as well that would allow them to communicate without speech. Just imagine of the tactical advantages that would give when such a group comes together (with 1 in a million it'd be easier to find others with such an ability as well), and want to find a place to call their own where they can settle.

Possibly plot lines you can explore is finding out what caused them to be like this, have them find an (isolated) place where they form their own community, possibly give them a couple of bad traits like having very dominant men that easily get into fights with one another (having sources that create drama is great for a game), have them get attacked by normal humans who fear them, etc.

Since it plays in the far away future you could even involve a plot line with aliens trying to take over the planet through stealthy methods. You could have a storyline where they're never actually visible, but could be the ones pulling on the strings behind the scenes. You're already going to have scifi elements anyway since it plays in the future, and you could explore that more as well. For all we know it's actually another species alltogether that caused the armageddon, and these new humans could be an unexpected, or possibly intended, side effect of whatever they did to cause it all.

All of the above were just some ideas from a brain storm I had, feel free to use or reject as much of it as you want.

Wolfie

I don't really want to go into the whole alien category, as I feel it is overused.

I will be playing the man that pulled the strings to the worldwide attack, initially attempting to eradicate mankind. So far I think that those are some good ideas, regarding disease, telepathy and the like. I will be sure to make use of those in some way. I think the longer lifespan may work too. It's a lot to think about.

Thank you for the ideas, it's always helpful to have some alternate input.

Caitlin

No problem. To be honest, I think the alien hook would be a bit far-fetched as well, but I figured I'd throw it in as an option to consider. You could have had something like it play on the background without ever naming it. Switch alien with 'secret government organization' or 'Illuminati' and you get the same kind of idea. :-)

I suppose a better term would have been a covert organization that you use as a plot device without it becoming apparent.

As an alternative suggestion; you could also have people come back alive that have their negative personality aspects enhanced on top of everything else. They'd make for great antagonists who are equally matched in strength and intellect. Having several groups struggle for survival makes for interesting games in general. Once again, all of this are just ideas. :-)

Wolfie

Caehlim

I like the sound of this idea. Keen to hear more.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Wolfie

MaiMizzu

The definition of a hero, at least in my mind, is someone who can protect what is right. To change and stop the wrong. To fight against the forces that seek to destroy you. And, at the very least ... live life well, and enjoy it with those you love.

Wolfie

Awesome. I got busy but ill be updating everything soon.