Behind the Name

Started by Fruitsteak, September 13, 2014, 02:38:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fruitsteak

Welcome! Come one, come all to Behind the Name: the thread where you explain the story, challenges, and scandals in the creation of your username. The names on Elliquiy are diverse and unique, similar to the people on it. As such, they can have stories hidden within! Even the name, "Elliquiy," is unique. Perhaps that influences this?

My username, Fruitsteak, is what happens when you take, "fruitcake", mangle it around a bit, and shove a steak in it. I've used it on approximately one other web site, but intended on using it again because I liked it. There isn't much to it, so I'll try not to make it seem as mundane.
I looked at other words that sounded similar, and looked for other sounds in them. I thought it would be slightly funny to put fruitcake and steak together. I don't know why. It all happened so quickly! I was playing god, and the rush overtook me.
When I name things, I mainly just focus on the sound behind them. I take words and alter the phonemes until it sounds just right. Sometimes, it's undistinguishable from the original term, and sometimes, I only take one syllable from a word, or start with a sound that isn't actually a word. Generally, the base words don't have much meaning. Certain sounds appeal to me, so I take them.
Whenever somebody gave me a RC car for my birthday/Christmas, I took it apart to try and guess how it worked, then tried to put it back together. This made relatives angry. Even in something like this, I'm a tinkerer, and my name indirectly reflects that.

What lead you to pick your username? What were your thoughts, and does your name hold a hidden meaning? Do you still like your name? Talk about it, and more, here!

Nowherewoman

Mine's pretty straightforward- it's a Beatles song ref, adopted when I was in an especially dark mood, and felt like my life was going...you guessed it- nowhere!
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Etherealgirl

Not sure why I chose the name I did. I liked the word 'Ethereal' so I just added girl behind it. Kinda reminds me of the 'ether' potions from Final Fantasy. :)

Alhanna

Alhanna was inspired by my mother's name. It was considered rare even by her generation's time. I use it because it sounds rather elegant and it's a tribute to her.

The Oath of the Drake

She's real, she's deep, she's logical and mystical. She believes in kindness and oneness and romance. She's sensitive and distant, a warrior, a lover. She believes in road trips to the stars and dancing with the universe. She's fearless and gentle, wondrous and brave. She lives in waterfalls and forests and sunsets and galaxies. She's the artist, the thinker, the poem and the dream. - Creig Crippen

Elysian Radiance

For a long time, my online handle was Love Like Wynter. However, I went through a lot in my life and changed a great deal. I felt like Wynter was a gloomy, dreary representation and I wasn't that person anymore. Aurora and Rose were both names that I adored for a long time. Aurora means light and sun, and Rose is a beautiful flower. It's a lot more indicative of my personality and me as a person.
"We are beings of starlight; we were meant to thrive in the darkness."
"I am a raging sea trapped inside of a raindrop."

<a href=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=200656.0>Fantastic Dragons and Where to Find Them! (05/30/17)</a>
Get Laid or Get Slayed - A Guide to Make the Dragoness Roar!
Muse/Mood Status ~ I'm currently on hiatus from Elliquiy. Send me a PM if you need to be in contact; I'll get the email about it.
Current Posting Output ~ None.
Buy RPG Dice Soap From Me!