Blackout - Futuristic Mafia [Interest Check and Sign Up Sheet] (Coming sometime)

Started by Galactic Druid, May 25, 2016, 01:13:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galactic Druid

Blackout is an idea I've been working on for a while now. The idea is to make the rules and restrictions for communication commonly seen in mafia games into an active part of the rules, with roles and powers that will allow players to bend and break those rules during play.

The game takes place in a dystopian future in which a rebel faction has just completed the first phase in their plan to take down the city's totalarian government. A weapon has been deployed that has completely taken down the city's communcations. During each day phase, the players represent leaders of society that meat in a public square to debate the best course of action and figure out who among them is responsible for the attacks. During the night phase, players secretly loyal to the rebel faction will have a chance to eliminate the remaining leaders. Just like in classic mafia, the goal of the loyalists is to remove the rebels from the game before they whittle them down to even numbers.

Player powers will largely revolve around the ability to communicate. At the beginning of the game, there will be no PMing allowed, aside from role PMs with the GM. Those rules will change over the course of the game. I'm still working out the fine details, but some of these will include;

A society player that can still login to the system to run a scan on another user's loyalty. The result, however, will be sent to a different player.

Two players that have a hardline, and can always PM one another.

A society player that has the power, once per game, to restore the system for a single night phase, allowing 24 hours of free communication between all players.

A society player that can send encoded messages, once per day phase. They will send the PM and intended target the PM, who will receive the decrypted message the following day phase.

A rebel player that can moniter a player each night, and will learn if they sent a message, and to whom (maybe).

As well as a few others, in addition to the traditional mafia roles. How creative I can get largely depends on how many people are interested in playing, so I'd like to see if anyone is interested while I continue to work on the details.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

yugi006

Rel Mayer

Madame Professor

The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

SunshineSparkle

O&O    A&A    Avatars

Seranova

Sera's Ons/Off's
Hello darkness, my old friend.
I've come to talk with you again.

Verasaille

MEEE!!!! (calms down a bit)

Sorry, I wish to join. Please let me know when we are ready to start.  ;D
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Ceralilly

I am the Mistress of Hearts, the Consort of Broken Ones, the Lover of Lost Souls, and the Queen of Goodbyes

Clio

Signature by the amazing Amaris.

KatKwik

Update: Tentatively Posting~Updated A/As: October 2017

Aiden

Galactic Druid

So I've gotten a lot of feedback from the werewolves game I'd been running regarding communication rules and restrictions, and I think my idea for this game is misguided, as many players prefer open communication, as the game has shown me.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is ditch the proposed rules and keep the theme, making it into something else. I'm thinking instead of roles that restrict and regulate communication, having ones that encourage it instead...

Ceralilly

Quote from: ThatRPGuy on June 12, 2016, 01:52:57 PM
So I've gotten a lot of feedback from the werewolves game I'd been running regarding communication rules and restrictions, and I think my idea for this game is misguided, as many players prefer open communication, as the game has shown me.

I'm thinking the best thing to do is ditch the proposed rules and keep the theme, making it into something else. I'm thinking instead of roles that restrict and regulate communication, having ones that encourage it instead...

Whatever you decide I will try.xoxox
I am the Mistress of Hearts, the Consort of Broken Ones, the Lover of Lost Souls, and the Queen of Goodbyes

Galactic Druid

Verasaille

I like the idea as you have it, Guy. I think restrictions will make people more cagey and paranoid. I also like the idea of making it something that opens up eventually. So that the restrictions can be gotten around. If you put in some rp flavor to it and let people make definite characters and play those out, it will make it even more fun.

Letting people PM you without restrictions will put you in the position of GM. A co-GM is good as well. I like the idea of people having assigned roles, and finding out or maybe becoming their role through decisions made as we play is good too.

The more I think about this the better it looks for a rousing game of cat and mouse. I want to hear more ideas from Saffron. I love me a good game of something akin to a pen and paper rp.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Derwaysh

Space permitting, I'm in as well. ;D

I'm assuming you'll expand on the rules whenever you have the opportunity, right? Cheers!
And I, methinks, am gone astray
In trackless wastes and lone.

Pleased to meet you, hope you guessed my name! | A peek is worth a thousand words!

A/A

Finals Week: Posting delays of up to 1 week/10 days

Galactic Druid

I wanna push back the launch of this game two reasons. First, I think we're all going to need some downtime after Classic Werewolf 3; I know I certainly want to get caught up around E a bit, and a good cooldown does help prevent mafia burnout. Secondly, I'm still working on the new angle for this game, which I haven't fully decided on yet.

Verasaille

You just keep working on it Meme King. I love the game and I am so in. Rules are meant to be challenging and fair. But also a good way to give people something to plot around.

Keep up the good work!!  ;D