Vampire: the Masquerade Mafia [OOC]

Started by Blythe, April 04, 2016, 09:37:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blythe

Hi, all! This is a VtM-theme for a mafia game that I'll be running in May. This will be my first ever mafia game that I've run. First and second and third post are reserved for game info, etc. Feedback is welcome via PMs if you have comments or suggestions.

Post here if interested, or PM me! I'm ideally looking for a big group! If you know someone interested in playing a mafia game, by all means refer them here!

(For those of you not as familiar with the VtM theme, the Wikipedia entry provides the basics! You don't need to have ever played that tabletop or be familiar with it to play this if you don't intend to write RP posts during gameplay!)

~ Vampire: the Masquerade Mafia ~

The undead rule the night in a society that mortals cannot ever truly fathom. All vampires are descended from Caine, the first vampire, but that doesn't stop the undead from waging internal sect battles with each others. Vampires, also known as Kindred, are divided into 13 Clans, but more importantly, into two sects, the Sabbat and the Camarilla. The Sabbat revel in their undead state and their organization is a frightening blood-soaked wicked mirror of the Catholic Church. The Sabbat sees themselves as above humanity and the keepers of truth about vampiric elders. The Camarilla, on the other hand, maintain the Masquerade that keeps the secrets of vampiric existence from humanity, and maintains its influence over the mortal world via behind-the-scenes feudal hierarchy.

More importantly, the Camarilla and Sabbat are at war. And that war has some to a head in the small city of Mire. They also have to contend with the pesky presence of Anarchs, vampires who want to bring down the status quo and establish a new order for the undead, a more democratic order...but the Anarchs are just as often initiators of chaos as they are anything particularly good.

This is a mafia game with a theme based on the tabletop rpg system Vampire: the Masquerade. It's a very loose theme, and I've never run a mafia game, so I hope that people like it. I'm not sure I'll get any interest, but hey, no risk no reward! :)

The goal of this game is for the Camarilla to eliminate the ruthless members of the Sabbat from the city of Mire....before the Sabbat or Anarchs manage to destroy their Masquerade and eliminate them instead!

I am also adding a special variant idea in here. I think dead players don't get a chance to do a lot. So I'm adding a special role called the Wraith! Dead players will have a very special set of rules to abide by and their own intrigue to handle. ^^

~Interested Players~
1. ThatRPGuy *
2. yugi006 *
3. persephone325 *
4. Intimate Ink *
5. SunshineSparkle *
6. Madame Professor *
7. Mintprincess *
8. Rel Mayer *
9. Remiel *
10. Seranova *
11. theLeslie *
12. Geeklet *
13. Christa *
14. AndyZ *
15. AmberStarfire *

(* means recently reconfirmed interest in response to my pM)

Blythe

~ Roles and Rules ~

- Rules -

What is this?

In a mafia game, players are divided into two teams; the 'good guys' (in this case, the Camarilla), who outnumber the other team roughly thee to one, and the 'bad guys' (in this case, the Sabbat or Anarchs), who have the advantage of information. While the villagers have the numbers advantage, they have no idea who among the entire group of players are the werewolves.

On the first day of the game, players will have a chance to introduce themselves, as well as vote for the town Sheriff. This player will be the tie breaker in the event of a majority. The Sabbat will also learn who is on their team at this time. The Anarchs will learn who is on their team at this time. Once a Sheriff is elected, the game moves on to the night phase.

During the night phase, players with night phase powers will be given the chance to use them. During this time, the Sabbat will get a chance to attack a player, removing them from the game. The Anarchs will as well. There may be a few Camarilla who also have night actions, as well.

During the following day Phase, and every day phase after, all players will be voting (publicly) for a player to lynch, removing them from the game. If necessary, players may also need to vote for a new Sheriff as well. During the first three day phases, players can choose to vote for No Lynching, if they feel they don't have enough information to go on. Starting Day 4, voting to lynch a player is mandatory. Once the day phase concludes, the game will move to the next Night Phase, and the day-night cycle will continue as described until the game ends.

How do I win?

• If you are on the Camarilla team, you win by eliminating every last member of the Sabbat and Anarch teams.
  • If you are Sabbat, your team wins when you match the Camarilla in numbers, going on a feeding frenzy and overpowering the remaining Camarilla members. To win, your team must also have killed off the Anarchs!
  • If you are Anarchs, your team wins when you match the Camarilla in numbers, going on a feeding frenzy and overpowering the remaining Camarilla members. To win, your team must also have killed off the Sabbat members.

Things worth mentioning.

• Players will need to be able to access their PMs in order to receive their roles and properly scheme. Because of this, only approved members are able to join. Apologies to those still awaiting approval.
  • Once the game has begun, I won't be able to add new players, with the exception of allowing someone to take on the role of a player who has to leave.
  • Your role will be PMed to you just before the game begins, along with any revelations, such as the Sabbat's team members. Please be sure to check your PMs.
  • Sabbat cannot attack other Sabbat members, and Anarchs can't attack other Anarchs.

- Roles -

- Not sure if I'll be using quite all of these roles, just noting ones "themed up" for the game in the list

Camarilla Roles
Caitiff Neonates: Neonates are newly made vampires who have been conscripted by the Camarilla into helping fight the Sabbat! They have no special abilities, and they are clanless...but they support the Camarilla, all the same! This role functions as a Villager in a standard mafia game.

The Malkavian Prophet: From the Clan stricken with madness by Caine, this vampire might not always be in touch with reality...but they have trained their Auspex, a discipline revolving around divination, very well. Once per night, the Malkavian Prophet may look at someone to see if they are Camarilla, a Special member of the Camarilla, Sabbat, or Anarch. Functions as the Seer in standard mafia.

The Brujah Primogen: Once per night, this clan leader can choose to protect someone.  Functions as the Bodyguard in a standard game.

The Gangrel Scourge: The Scourge's job is to patrol the city of Mire and enforce the law. They have the authority to kill in the name of their duty! once per game, they can eliminate a player...but the Anarchs are too clever by half, being familiar with avoiding authority, and cannot be killed by the Scourge. Sometimes the Scourge will find their efforts thwarted by the Primogen if the Primogen is protecting their target. Functions as the Witch in a standard game.

The Hidden Salubri: A member of Saulot's brood, the Salubri are a hunted and persecuted clan in these modern nights. They are masterful healers and possessed of a hidden third eye. Once per game, the Hidden Salubri can choose to save someone from death with their healer's arts. Functions as the Healer in a more standard game.

The Toreador Harpy: The Toreador are a clan well-known for their intrigue and beauty. They are exceptionally adept at knowing all the juiciest gossip. Once per game, before someone is to be lynched, the Toreador Harpy can call upon their connections in Elysium to determine if someone is Camarilla, Sabbat, or an Anarch. If someone is a member of the Camarilla, they are not lynched. This will not reveal any special roles, and it will not reveal the Wraith. This role functions as the Priest in standard mafia.

Nosferatu Ancilla: It's not a good idea to slay a Nos. They're...pretty gross. Their curse is to be forever beastly and horrifying in looks...and trying to touch or taste the blood of one is awful. They hide their appearance with the powerful illusory discipline of Obfuscate, so no one knows how awful the Nosferatu truly looks. Sabbat or Anarchs who kill the Nosferatu Ancilla will find they can't slay anyone the next night.  Functions as the Diseased Villager in a more standard game.

The Ventrue Diablerist: A vampire who has committed a terrible crime...devouring another vampire, blood, body, and some say soul. This taints their spirit. The Diablerist, when looked at by the Seer, will have their trace marks of their crime visible upon their spirit, and as such, it will be believed that they are a Sabbat member, even though they are actually part of the Camarilla. This role functions as the Lycan in standard mafia.

- The Wraith -
The Wraith role is a special one. After all roles are handed out, one member of the Camarilla will be determined to have a spirit so strong that they return as a Wraith if they are lynched or killed. The Wraith cannot interact with players directly, but during the Day phase, dead players only may PM the GM with one message for the Wraith consisting of no more than two small sentences. Once every Night phase (as the first action to be resolved at Night), the Wraith can send a message to a living player via the GM. The Wraith cannot reveal who he/she/they are. Their message cannot be longer than two small sentences. Think of the Wraith as a "Medium," but it only activates after the player's death. Any dead player can talk to the Wraith once Day phase anonymously through the GM, so be careful--someone could be the Diablerist or be the Cardinal!

Sabbat Roles
The Antitribu: The rank and file of vampires who were once of the Camarilla, but who abandoned their ties and became part of the Sabbat. They will know who is in the Sabbat at the start of the game. This role functions as the Werewolf in standard mafia.

The Tzimisce Pack Priest: Preaching the gospel of Caine, the first vampire, these flesh-crafters often lead packs of Sabbat vampires. Once per game, the Tzimisce pack priest can forcibly feed his/her/their blood to a member of the Camarilla, turning them to the side of the Sabbat! (The Tzimisce can do this whenever they like, even if the regular Sabbat members prefer not to, even overriding a preferred Sababt target, but that is highly discouraged). The earliest this power can be used is Night Two; it cannot be used the first night. The Sabbat cannot kill the Night this power is used. This role roughly functions as the Alpha Wolf from standard mafia.

The Lasombra Cardinal: A powerful vampire in Sabbat society, the Lasombra is a master of infiltration and politics. To any scrying eyes, the Cardinal looks like a member of the Camarilla. This role functions as the Wolfman in standard mafia.

Anarchs
Anarchs have no special roles, but they are immune to the Scourge's role, and they are immune to Sabbat attacks. They win the same way the Sabbat does, but neither team can win the city of Mire while the other team still remains--they must ensure their foes meet the Final Death! This role is *snicker* the equivalent to the Vampire team in werewolf/variant mafia games.

Blythe

~ General Mafia Rules for This Game ~

Going to keep this short and sweet. My rules are a tad different, but not by much!

- Your team can still win if you die, so long as someone is still left alive on your team! Play accordingly!
- If you have died, you should not talk about in-game information with others. Only the Wraith (and dead players sending a message meant for the Wraith) at GM direction should do that, and the role defines how that works.
- Do not use Elliquiy's 'quote' function in PMs. Paraphrase only, please!
- Make sure to include me, the GM, in all PMs! This helps me keep track of activity.
- Do not edit or delete in-game posts, please.

- Voting is mandatory, and votes can be changed until I, the GM, determine that time is up and make a final tally. Your first vote should be in bold. Put changes in red bold text, please. Please vote on time; nothing holds up a game like people stalling when voting. You can never vote for yourself.

- Metagaming: Don't target people because you think they have been talented in other mafia or subterfuge games. This makes them not want to play. I'll PM people and ask them not to do this if I see it. Your strategy should be based around this game only, not the outcome or events of previous games.

- Lastly, have fun! Please endeavor to keep the atmosphere here friendly and welcoming, and don't be upset if someone that is your friend turned out to be on the enemy team! We are all here to have fun, and its important to remember that there are people behind the screen. Please remember to find a balance between playing the game strategically and being respectful. I reserve the right to ask those who create a negative or hostile atmosphere to leave the game. Please PM me if you are having problems.

Blythe

And okies, I have enough of this completed to officially declare my interest check open! Since Guy PMed me with interest, I'll just go ahead and sticky this. Please post here or PM me if you'd like to play!

Intimate Ink

Blythe

Whoo, more interest! I've got your name added to the list, Ink!  ;D

Galactic Druid

A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

SunshineSparkle

O&O    A&A    Avatars

Madame Professor

The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Blythe

Blythe

Rel Mayer

Blythe

Quote from: Rel Mayer on April 12, 2016, 09:38:01 PM
Do you mind if I dip my toes in here?

Welcome, and I would be most happy to have you aboard, Rel! :)

Blythe

Quote from: Remiel on April 13, 2016, 03:35:10 PM
I know nothing about V:tM, but I'll sign up.

Added!

No need to know about VtM to play. I've endeavored in the role list to mention what VtM-themed roles correspond to in 'normal' mafia when possible for those who don't know about VtM but do know about mafia games. :)

Madame Professor

The Professor's Research Notes (O/O)  Locked away in the Laboratory (A/A) 
Not currently available for new roleplays
Procaffeinating: (verb) The tendency to not start anything until you've had a cup of coffee.
Perkatory: (noun) The anguished, prolonged period spent waiting for a fresh pot of coffee to be ready.

Seranova

Sera's Ons/Off's
Hello darkness, my old friend.
I've come to talk with you again.

Blythe

theLeslie

Blythe

Geeklet

Galactic Druid

Turnout is looking pretty solid, Blythe! Getting excited to run?
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!