No magic D&D

Started by Mindhazingsquid, September 26, 2006, 10:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mindhazingsquid

Well, I've sort of scrapped my idea for a no magic d&d world for a no tech Heavy Gear world since it works better.  The setting is the same just the game system is changed.
I'll do a big thing about the world if anyone is interested but for now, a short thing about the world.

Basicly the world is a desert... or the known world is a desert.  The world rotates around the sun such that it never moves for it's position in the sky.  The known world is inhabited by small pockets of humans number about 100.  The reason is that there are lots of monsters roaming the lands and eating people.  For this reason these tribes have made castes.  There is a warrior caste called Hunters, an explorer/cartographer type caste called Water Seekers and a teacher caste called Creche Keepers.  Few peolpe live to see 40.  If they do, they're revered and much doted on for their wisdom but almost no one lives to 50 since there's no actual retirement.  All people have black, like pitch black, like ebony black, skin.  Technology is pretty primitive.  Days are denoted by when you sleep, everyone pretty much has a fairly accurate internal clock.
The different tribes are based on different animals in the world and have hunting characteristics similar to that creature.

If people would rather D&D over heavy gear (Heavy Gear rules are really simple.  Especially compared to d&d.  You only need D6s for one) I'm willing to try that but Heavy Gear would be a lot simpler.

indarkestknight

Hrm... Sounds Dune-ish...

Hermes

I like the idea, though I don't know anything about the Heavy Gear system.

So yeah, I might be interested.

Mindhazingsquid

Just one person?  No one else?  Do you want me to put more info before you decide?
It's only duneish because the discovered world is a desert.  There's a side that's frozen solid since it never sees the sun.

Ixy

Sounds like a very interesting world, but-- without asking you to reveal too much-- what kind of plot elements would be the foci here?  If there were overall thematic elements, would it be strictly a clan-war type survival game, or more inter-character oriented?

Mindhazingsquid

The clans don't fight among themselves.  I have an overall story which involves a lot of exploration but it starts off a little survivally just to get you used to the world and to work out any system tweeks that I might need.