I need some computer help.

Started by SinsOfEden, January 13, 2010, 04:59:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SinsOfEden

Okay, so.... Several days ago I was on my laptop. It was running normally and things were as usual. My other half tried to help me put some program on it so I could customize my entire laptop, from boot screen to the start menu icon; just like he had done with his. The program he was using was StyleXP or something of the sort. Both him and his uncle have used it before and it's a safe program - unless of course something is tampered with that shouldn't be.

.............................               Either way, it wouldn't work on my computer for whatever reason. So I deleted it and went on my way. Then I shut down the computer, because I was supposed to be leaving to start my trip home.

Well, the trip didn't happen. And when I booted my computer up again later that evening....all of my icons for all sorts of things on my computer were replaced with the recycle bin icon. And some folders have some weird white icon, like a page that has another web-page looking thing inside of it. (I know, my terms are just so wonderfully helpful and technical. Hah.) The trippy thing is that the icons on my desktop are fine....except for the fact that where the shortcut arrow should be there is a mini recycle bin, and my recycle bin icon is now that white page thing.

Both him and I have wracked our brains trying to figure out what happened, why, and how we can fix it. We came up with nothing.

So can anyone help me here? Pleeeeeeaaaaaaasssssse??     ><
  |≈|  Apologies/Absences  |≈|  On's/Off's & More  |≈| 

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 
{Between Zyrkirius and Lloyd... Zyr is currently present.}

~ Current avatar ~

|≈|  Zyr's Beast  |≈|  Lloyd's first intro.  |≈|

Thanatos

Here are 4 suggestions:

Try the Last Known Good Configuration. Here is a link for it: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

You can try to rebuild the OS Icons. Here is a link for that: http://www.computing.net/howto/simple/slowbuild/

Windows XP has a System Restore utility that may be able to help you. Here are your steps to use it. You want to restore from some period of time before the corrupted icon's were an issue: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/support/sysrestore.mspx

Also, its possible that your profile was corrupted. You could create a new Administrator level profile and see if everything looks okay on it.  Here is a link for steps to do that: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope those help. Good Luck.

SinsOfEden

Thank you, Thanatos. I will definitely have to try those out.

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

SinsOfEden

I created another administrator level account to check it.... The icons were fine. But the recycle bin icon was missing. However, there was still a desktop thing there for it. Just no icon.

This is so irritating. Everything else is fine. But the mini-bin on all of my icons is bothering my OCD and stuff. That's my only issue.

Not to mention that I don't want to lose anything on my computer, or mess it up, if I happen to do something wrong. So....yeah.   T_T

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Oniya

This may sound simplistic, but have you tried simply resetting the icons that are wrong?  I have XP, and if I right-click on an icon, and select Properties, it gives me a screen that has (in addition to other info) a button for 'Change Icon'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

SinsOfEden

Quote from: Oniya on January 13, 2010, 08:25:15 PM
This may sound simplistic, but have you tried simply resetting the icons that are wrong?  I have XP, and if I right-click on an icon, and select Properties, it gives me a screen that has (in addition to other info) a button for 'Change Icon'.

Dude.... I didn't even think about that...    *facepalms, feeling pretty dumb at the moment*

I just have Vista though. But I would think it would still work. I'll certainly try that right now.

Edit:

Okay... So that didn't help. The little recycle bin icon is where the 'shortcut' arrow should be. 'Fixing' the icon didn't do anything. And that white page is still where the recycle bin should be and also in place of some of my folders, instead of the folder icon.   =\

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Oniya

Well, it doesn't answer the question of why it happened in the first place, but it should help with the OCD-ness.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

SinsOfEden

Quote from: Oniya on January 13, 2010, 08:36:48 PM
Well, it doesn't answer the question of why it happened in the first place, but it should help with the OCD-ness.

It didn't fix it, though. I'm almost to the point of just saying: 'Forget it. Nothing else is wrong.'

Because there isn't anything else wrong except for the messed up icon thing.   ><

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Oniya

It wouldn't let you select a new icon?  *hasn't messed around with icons on Vista, but that sounds ultra-weird*

SinsOfEden

Quote from: Oniya on January 13, 2010, 08:40:50 PM
It wouldn't let you select a new icon?  *hasn't messed around with icons on Vista, but that sounds ultra-weird*

No. That worked. I could select a new icon. But it didn't help get the mini recycle bin to go away and get the little arrow back. And the recycle bin icon just wouldn't come back. I changed it and it remained as the little white page thing.  ><

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

SinsOfEden

This is what my icons now look like on my desktop:

That white page at the top of the other icons is what some of my folders look like when I look at them. Most of them 'load' and change to what they should be. But some of them stay like that.  =\

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

Serephino

Would it be possible to start up in safe mode and look for all files of this program and getting rid of it, or do a scan disk or something?

SinsOfEden

Quote from: Sparkling Angel on January 13, 2010, 09:59:25 PM
Would it be possible to start up in safe mode and look for all files of this program and getting rid of it, or do a scan disk or something?

Which program? The one I mentioned in my first post here? I deleted everything as far as I know. I've done everything I could possibly think of - aside from wiping everything and starting clean (which I can't afford to do) - and nothing's happened.

So I'm sort of at a loss.

|≈|  Elluiki   |≈| 

~ Current avatar ~

DrFier

This may have been said in one of the links but...

What I would try is changing the overall theme back, right click on the desktop -> Personalize -> Theme.

I'm not sure that will do anything, but I figure it's worth a shot.

Also: you may want to save your current theme first, because it will change other things, like your background.

Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

Zylvyn

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67615-shortcut-arrow.html

Give that page a read-through.  Try replacing / restoring your shortcut arrow through this.  If that doesn't work, throw me a PM.  (Odds of me looking here again are fairly slim).
A million faces each a million lies, for each and all a chrome disguise.  Prompts for action, force reaction.  Embody promise in a sheen so pure.

Ons, Offs, and things left unsaid
My status - Updated:  1.17.2013 - THPT, life... Thpt!
My RP Requests

Zylvyn

A million faces each a million lies, for each and all a chrome disguise.  Prompts for action, force reaction.  Embody promise in a sheen so pure.

Ons, Offs, and things left unsaid
My status - Updated:  1.17.2013 - THPT, life... Thpt!
My RP Requests