Anima Prime Interest Check

Started by MadPanda, April 05, 2014, 03:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadPanda

No, not Anima from Final Fantasy Games.

Anima Prime (Berengad Games)
(available for free here: http://www.animaprimerpg.com/main/docs/Anima_Prime_CC_04-07-2011.pdf  or in the really stripped down Pocket Version which fits on two pages here: http://www.animaprimerpg.com/main/docs/PocketAP_11.pdf )

This is as close to a Final Fantasy themed system as I've ever found that has the right 'feel'!  Skyships.  Summoned beasties.  Strange tech.  Steamtech.  High-flying stunts that defy logic, reason, and the laws of physics as we know 'em.  What's not to like?

I have three general ideas in mind.  There's the core setting, the Ghostlands, with imperial occupiers, rebel forces, criminal syndicates, and the empowered beasties called Beyonders sneaking through dimensional gates to provide a modicum of danger and excitement for the normal residents of the world.

Second, partially inspired by another little RPG called Monkey, there's the Ministry of Thunder idea: one part Roaring Twenties fantasy noir, one part Jackie Chan movie, one part Hellboy, and a dash of RWBY.  PCs are disgraced gods working off their demerits with the Jade Court of Heaven by helping the Duke of Thunder, Lei Gong, clean up after various messes that the mortals can't handle on their own.

Third, and currently under active discussion, something more like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs meets Gold Digger by way of RWBY.  'Cause nothing says pulpy post-apocalyptic fun like catgirl treasure hunters, muscle cars, and velociraptor ninja!     ;D

Voluptas ailuri fulgentis decretum est!
Omnis nimis, temperantia ob coenobitae.
(Jes, tiuj frazoj estas malĝustaj. Pandoj fakte ne komprenas la latinan!)

One on Ones Suggestion Box
Group Game Suggestion Box
Pandariffic Ons and Otherwise
In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

Well, I'm in, but the MoT idea is the one that sounds the best to me!  I've even got an idea (inspired by Marvel!) for a character in that particular universe.

MadPanda

That's true--we sort of skipped straight to the Xenozoic thing, didn't we?  Okay, here's what I have in mind for Ministry of Thunder.  This is all very work-in-progress, and I have a brief bit of fiction that'll go into this when it's formalized.

UPDATE: Links added!

Ministry of Thunder
PCs are immortals, or demons, or animal spirits who have screwed up and are working off their misdeeds through community service...namely helping the Duke of Thunder, Lei Gong, police the mortal world and handling any problems that the mortals can’t.

The whole has a retro-cool feel to it, a mashup of art deco and wuxia: tommy guns, Model Ts, big jazz bands, fedoras, swords, fans, temples…Hellboy meets Gangbusters by way of Drunken Master 2 and Final Fantasy.

The MoT is a ramshackle detective agency on the second floor of a three storey building in a crowded neighborhood.  The Boss, a stern older woman who traditionally wears pantsuits, is known only as Duke.  There is a tiny reception area with a small desk and telephone, three rickety chairs, and a table with several old magazines on it. The main room has a desk and phone for each PC, plus another two.  Duke’s office has a bigger desk, a phone, a tickertape machine that periodically spits out instructions from one of two sources (identified as EBH and WDH), and a most unusual Go board.  There is also a file room, a bathroom, and a kitchenette.  Apartments for the staff can be found on the third floor, but these are rarely used since the Operatives are usually out in the field somewhere.

The Go board on Duke’s desk is a situation map of the world.  Each of the points on the 29 by 29 grid can be ‘expanded’ into an 8 by 8 grid for more precise locations.  How this manifests is that the stone on the point turns blood crimson and a golden trigram appears on it to denote the subsector.

Operatives are allowed their own weapons of choice and are issued an official badge in a plain black leather carrying case.

Thought--the main office is in an Otherspace, accessible only by Operatives and other empowered persons (like, uhm, demons…).  As such, Operatives can walk into any “branch office” anywhere in the world, go through the ‘staff only’ door behind the receptionist, and there’s their desk.  This is also how they get to the trouble spots so quickly, exiting the main office through the nearest branch kiosk. All this assumes that someone hasn’t blown up that branch office, or that inauspicious circumstances haven’t crashed the transport network, or that some other mishap won’t make it safer and saner to travel by normal means.

The Main Office is a good source of Character Scenes and Flashbacks, but almost everything else should happen in the field.

We're live.

Background Information:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=201442.0

The OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=201443.0

The Cast Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=201444.0

Character sheet template is in the Cast thread.

In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

Okay.  My idea is mainly inspired by the Marvel comic hero Iron Fist (aka, the Immortal Iron Fist).

Basic idea of the character is that they're more a kung fu style of character (Though they also follow the Tao of the Thomas-Cannon), but the whole reason they're in hock to the MoT in the first place was because they were a bit...randy.  Even by Chinese hero standards.  And it was decided, after he inadvertently went and did up the wrong broad, that if he liked cooches so much, then maybe he should have one...

MadPanda

(laugh)  Helloooooooo, Ranma-chan!

One other thought is that the PCs should have names based on the various animals of the Chinese Zodiac, possibly with alliterative epithets.  Y'know, like...Modest Mouse (instead of Rat).

In Memory of Bishrook

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on April 05, 2014, 03:51:38 PM
Basic idea of the character is that they're more a kung fu style of character (Though they also follow the Tao of the Thomas-Cannon), but the whole reason they're in hock to the MoT in the first place was because they were a bit...randy.  Even by Chinese hero standards.
Is that even possible ;D?
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

MadPanda

There's a whole laundry list of reasons why a god or demigod or demon might end up doing community service with the MoT. 

To paraphrase the list in the rulebook for Monkey (D101 Games): Cowardice, Corruption, Miserliness, Violence, Lust, Pride, Vanity, Laziness, Selfishness, Theft, Gluttony, Tyranny, and Lack of Discipline are the usual reasons for this sort of thing.  Of course, this could be anything from slacking off once during a double super-secret inspection of your appointed rounds to openly declaring war on the Celestial Jade Court after starting a food fight in the cafeteria...and winning.

(FYI According the the Pfffft of All Knowledge, Lei Gong is supposed to be kind of a prude, so it wouldn't take much to exceed the Duke's allowances for lusty behavior.  However, nobody's asked the Ducal opinion on the matter, so the scribes might have embellished a tad.)

Hmmm. There's another suggestion for char-gen...make one of your Traits reflect the flaw what brung you to this pass...

In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

....really?  Nobody else is really going to respond to this?  Come on, people!  Just as least give it a try!  The game's free!

Vanetias

Jefepato

Sorry I was out of touch a few days.  I'm in if you'll still have me.

MadPanda

I shall see what I can cobble together over the weekend, tax prep permitting!

In Memory of Bishrook

ShadowFox89

My only question is- Would a foxgirl thief work? :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Saric

If the Panda will have me, I'm totally in for any version of this!  ;D
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

MadPanda

We'll see what we have!  Already have one Foxgirl but won't say no to a second!  Spares me from having to send in either the Monkey or the Jade Pig as backup.

In Memory of Bishrook

ShadowFox89

Well, going with the idea that she's a fox-spirit thief, she probably (duh) stole something and got caught, landing her in community service.

What can we expect for the game in terms of smexy times and any kinks that might be included?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Saric

The Dragon is unamused by your shenanigans. The Dragon is above such petty- Oooh! Shiny!
"I believe in dragons, good men, and other fantasy creatures." - Slovotsky's Law #42

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”― Neil Gaiman, Coraline

“The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.” - Terry Pratchett (Rest in Peace, Master Storyteller)

Izaya Orihara

Curious.
Not particularly knowledgeable about the Chinese stuff, though I know a bit more where it overlaps with some Japanese mythology.

Still, the premise that seems most popular (according to the posts above) seems like it would have some space for creativity, and shouldn't be too hard to conjure up character ideas for. I might make a Kami akin to Yato, who's a god of calamity (magatsukami), though I'm not sure if he'll be qute as materialistic and lazy at times as Yato is. He'll probably be a bit like Yato used to be; serious, merciless and cruel. Though still uncomfortable around women, and quite easy to embarass, since he hasn't really got involved in any relationships over time.

Anyway...
Well, if I had to give a reason for my actions, I guess it's because I love people. I guess I wanted to see the faces that mankind has to offer.

ReijiTabibito

*counts* Six...things looking up, finally.  Hopefully the GM will be by to start helping people out.  Of course, if he can't, then I'm available to point people in the right direction.  Least, far as making a character goes.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Izaya Orihara on April 11, 2014, 02:37:34 PM
Curious.
Not particularly knowledgeable about the Chinese stuff, though I know a bit more where it overlaps with some Japanese mythology.

Still, the premise that seems most popular (according to the posts above) seems like it would have some space for creativity, and shouldn't be too hard to conjure up character ideas for. I might make a Kami akin to Yato, who's a god of calamity (magatsukami), though I'm not sure if he'll be quite as materialistic and lazy at times as Yato is. He'll probably be a bit like Yato used to be; serious, merciless and cruel. Though still uncomfortable around women, and quite easy to embarrass, since he hasn't really got involved in any relationships over time.

Anyway...

And I'll be playing a kitsune girl who likes to flirt, dress in tight black outfits, and steal things. Looks like they'll get along perfectly!
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Izaya Orihara

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on April 12, 2014, 09:40:36 AM
And I'll be playing a kitsune girl who likes to flirt, dress in tight black outfits, and steal things. Looks like they'll get along perfectly!

So it would seem. :P
Should definitely be interesting, however things pan out.
Well, if I had to give a reason for my actions, I guess it's because I love people. I guess I wanted to see the faces that mankind has to offer.

MadPanda

Bear with me, folks!  Is a bit busy here in Pandaspace but I'll do my best to get something solid up this weekend.

No actual knowledge of Chinese mythology is required, here, at least beyond what you can find in ten minutes on Wikipedia and/or google.  When in doubt, ask!  The core material for the D101 Game, Journey to the West, is a very popular novel in Asia.  IIRC there are something like a hundred different variants of it in Japan alone (where the Monkey King is known as Son Goku.  Yes, THAT Son Goku, thank you Toriyama-sama.) and more than a few anime and manga are based on it.  Saiyuki's my personal fave.  Think of it as the equivalent of the Arthurian Tales.  Only with kick-ass martial arts and superpowers thrown in.

Yes, Reiji is effectively my second-in-command for char-gen purposes, on grounds that he and I have spent a LOT of time discussing this stuff offsite.  Trust him as you would any other brother.

What I'm shooting for here is an open and friendly little game, more light-hearted than gritty most of the time (the, uh, Jackie Chan elements) while still verging on some serious nastiness for the major baddies.  Adult content?  Not going to focus on it, but it makes for a good scene for a couple of inclined PCs (and since character scenes are one way of recovering post-battle damage, feel free to indulge).

I may have to split you guys into two groups if we have six people.  The Duke will like that, at least.  Mo' agents, mo' problems get solved.  Unless Monkey is involved, of course.  Damn that Monkey...

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Hey, y'all?
No characters posted yet!  Nothing happens if nobody does char-gen, yeah?

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Just in case the problem is that people haven't found the links for some reason, or aren't sure which is which, I'm bouncing them to the top.

In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: MadPanda on May 04, 2014, 02:00:43 PM
Hey, y'all?
No characters posted yet!  Nothing happens if nobody does char-gen, yeah?

I don't think no characters is quite accurate...but I do say that for all the interest we had, it appears the Life Is Havingeth Its Way with our players...

MadPanda

Same thing happened to my S7S game.   :-(  Lots of enthusiasm followed by crickets...

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

Yeah, I...haven't got much excuse on this one.  I have a bad habit of falling off the Internet exactly when I have actual games or something I'm really supposed to be doing.

If there are still enough people around who want to give it a shot, I can try to have a sheet up tonight, not that I expect you to trust what I'm typing at this point.

MadPanda

Yes, please do.  It's easier to add someone else once the game gets going!

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

On that note, I have part of a character sheet up in the cast thread.  The idea is that his big flaw is reckless pride and not paying attention to the risks until his weird projects blow up in someone's face.

By the way, as far as skills, are Gadgets and Engineer probably too redundant?

ReijiTabibito

Not really.  They can be different - Gadgets is Batman, whereas Engineer is more Iron Man.

MadPanda

Just so!  Engineer is knowing how to do stuff with big machinery.  Gadgets is always having just the right tool on your person.  They overlap, yes, but aren't redundant.

Ratty looks pretty good, actually.  I like what you did with the guns.

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

I was pretty amused by it myself, but...it might not really work here?  If I'm reading right, with only one level of Soulsmith, you can't actually switch 2-slot effects around (even by taking time to do so), and it would be a terrible shame for our boy to have a weapon he can't tinker with.

MadPanda

That sounds about right.  Soulsmith I can swap out 1-point effects, one per character scene.

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

Alas.  I thought the insane plague pistol was fitting, but, well...edited.  This'll have to do.

MadPanda

Something to work toward, perhaps, for when we get to an advancement point or the like.

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

Quite.

Should Backgrounds and Links be a little longer-winded than Traits, or is it not too important as long as they're reasonably evocative?

(Also, is there anything I should know about Passion, or is it basically kind of like Motivation in Exalted?)

MadPanda

A little bit longer, perhaps.  The point is to keep it brief, though.

As for Passions, allow me to quote:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Passion
The passion describes the profound emotional state of the character, that is, not just their current mood, but the one passion that permeates everything they do. It tells you something about the character, thereby allowing you to roleplay them in interesting ways.

The passion also lets the character’s player earn charge dice when certain conditions are triggered. Those conditions are listed with each passion. If the triggering of a passion would earn more charge dice than fit in the character’s Charge Pool, the remaining dice are turned into strike dice instead.

Passions are not freeform--there is a discrete list with set effects.

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

Oh, well, that one's easy.  I might need to give Backgrounds/Links a bit more thought though.

MadPanda

Just enough to work with, not enough to totally define the entire family tree out to eighteen generations.   :-)  AP is meant for spontaneous play, after all.  And also, given the source material...we don't usually learn all that deep, dark, convoluted backstory at first in your average FF game.  Leave yourself room to change your mind down the road...or for someone else to suggest something!

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

I dunno, I think actually knowing one's entire family tree out to eighteen generations would really say a lot about the character.  ;)

MadPanda

(laugh)  "I know my family's entire family tree out to eighteen generations." is a perfectly valid bit of background.  Or maybe Links...

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

Well, I may need to crash soonish, but I will see if I can finish it up tomorrow then.

(Also, sorry for not paying enough attention on some bits.  I should have realized I couldn't Ctrl-F that PDF.)

Jefepato

Well, it took much longer than I had planned (partly due to illness but mostly due to poor time management), but I finally got some tentative links and background added to the sheet.  Let me know your thoughts.

MadPanda

Yaaay!  You and Reiji appear to be it, so I'll kick something off soonish.  I may even bring in Monkey so that you two have someone as backup.

In Memory of Bishrook

Saric

Sorry! I was waylaid by Networking finals while reading through the rules and forgot to get back to it. I'm reading it now and hope to have a character for you as soon as I know what the heck I'm doing. Feel free to start without me though, I can always be a late transfer or something.

MadPanda

I'll wait a bit longer, then, to let you catch up.

Let's just say that with the catastrophic lack of interest that followed my posting that S7S game, a "hey, I'm still here!" is met with some joy...

In Memory of Bishrook

ReijiTabibito

Just as a double-check - the last spot on our 3 Aspects is reserved for another PC, yes?

MadPanda

It's recommended that you tie at least one of those in with another PC somehow.

In Memory of Bishrook

Saric

Quote from: MadPanda on May 20, 2014, 08:08:10 PM
I'll wait a bit longer, then, to let you catch up.

Let's just say that with the catastrophic lack of interest that followed my posting that S7S game, a "hey, I'm still here!" is met with some joy...

I'm glad to have brought some joy to someone in my time here. Also I have a very tentative character sheet up. Please tell me what you think.

ReijiTabibito

Saric, MP wanted me to pass on a message to you...let's see, where did I put it...oh, right.

"Looks good.  Keep going."

That's it.

Jefepato

Should I interpret "Yaaay!" to mean "the links and backgrounds on your sheet are fine and require no further revision"?  :P

...Also, I guess the Soulbound Weapon on my sheet should really be Multisoul 1, but it doesn't really make much difference as long as I don't go over the limit.

MadPanda

Let me catch up with stuff...

The thing about these ideas going dead slow for so long is, other projects pop up.  I'll review soon, I promise.

In Memory of Bishrook

Jefepato

Sure, no problem.  I'm hardly in a position to get impatient at this point anyway.

Saric

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on May 21, 2014, 08:23:27 PM
Saric, MP wanted me to pass on a message to you...let's see, where did I put it...oh, right.

"Looks good.  Keep going."

That's it.

That's nice and all... but I have no idea what else to add! I suppose I could try looking up some pictures but other then that I'm out of ideas...

MadPanda

You're pretty good as is, I think.
I rather like that he seems to have a somewhat bombastic and self-aggrandizing touch to his speech.  That fits the original source material perfectly!

In Memory of Bishrook

Saric

Quote from: MadPanda on May 21, 2014, 11:50:10 PM
You're pretty good as is, I think.
I rather like that he seems to have a somewhat bombastic and self-aggrandizing touch to his speech.  That fits the original source material perfectly!

I do try, we'll see how well I keep it up after the RP starts... no promises. On a slightly related note did you want to tie him and Monkey together via traits? Since he's got resent history with her father and all...

I've never RP'd with the other two players before so I don't know how well our writing styles will mesh but I've looked over some of your work when signing up for a previous game.

MadPanda

Monkey may or may not be taking a major part in this so there's no requirement.  Unless, of course, you guys WANT the Beautiful Monkey Princess to run amok?

Ideally the running gag in the Ministry of Thunder is that so long as Monkey is on another job, whatever you're doing won't be all that bad  :D

In Memory of Bishrook

Saric

I feel like Monkey will be a major part of this whether you want her to be or not... ;D

Also the idea of an on again/ off again, conflicted relationship with a character that may or may no always be there sounds like fun! ;D

MadPanda

(One vote for the Monkey being an active presence...)

Am off from work sick today so have a bit of extra time.  will get something up shortly.

In Memory of Bishrook

MadPanda

Story thread is up. Go forth and have a character scene before I launch the madness.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=204659.0

And enjoy the Ah!MG cameo.

In Memory of Bishrook