A place to talk about great partner experiences?

Started by TwoHundredTabs, June 02, 2014, 04:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwoHundredTabs

If I want to give public feedback to a partner (e.g. vouch for something about them, praise their writing at length, comment on what I enjoyed about working with them), should that be done in their O/O thread?

My reasoning is that individual request threads are in sub-forums that have a "No bump" policy, and testimonies would only be seen by people as long as the request thread was up. I also don't think that putting testimonials in individual threads in "The Good and the Cuddly" would make sense (because of the board's broad scope of purpose). A thread in "The Good and the Cuddly" could be a good idea in order to keep them all in one place (and thereby encourage people to provide them), but the aim of a testimonial is to provide detail and highlight exceptional writers - and the culture of "The Good and the Cuddly" seems to be more about quick posts and happy feelings in general. Plus, not posting a testimonial in a thread by the writer that the testimonial is about means that people who are considering partnering with said writer might not see it.

On a related point of clarification, "On Topic" is the place to post non-site requests for help, right?

For example:

"[Request] Read this scenario request description and tell me what is unclear or might need more detail"

"[Request] Post links to websites that I can use to ask questions about and/or learn more about ____ (sexual topic)" (Whereas a non-adult request of similar sort would go in "Off-Topic".)

[tr]   [td]
.............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td].............................................  [/td]   [/tr]   [tr]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td]
Hover over a link to see a description
[/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [/tr][tr]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [/tr][/table]

Lilias

No one should write on another member's O/Os. That's their own personal corner.

For writing feedback, we have this thread as a game, or you can always make a Good & Cuddly post. Or just PM them.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Blythe

Quote from: TwoHundredTabs on June 02, 2014, 04:01:17 PM
On a related point of clarification, "On Topic" is the place to post non-site requests for help, right?

For example:

"[Request] Read this scenario request description and tell me what is unclear or might need more detail"

"[Request] Post links to websites that I can use to ask questions about and/or learn more about ____ (sexual topic)" (Whereas a non-adult request of similar sort would go in "Off-Topic".)

I'd say this sounds correct, yes. On Topic would be the place to discuss things of a more mature or adult nature (sexual topics included), so it's the best place for that. "Off-Topic" is good for anything that doesn't fall in "On Topic" and doesn't contain off-site contact info.

jouzinka

If I understand you correctly... E doesn't really sport popularity contests and as such, there's no "reviews" system on people you have RPed with or who have RPed with you, mainly because of the size and diversity of the site - there's a place for everyone and there's a partner for everyone - people are allowed to judge for themselves the qualities of a prospective partner.

If you do absolutely wish to have a place, I have seen a person append reviews of their writing partners to their O&Os.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

TwoHundredTabs

Thanks for the replies. I guess the solution to my original question would be having a G&C thread and writers linking to testimonial posts in said thread.

I also don't want to start a popularity contest. I think it's helpful for the community at large to see what people like most about their favorite partners, and healthy for there to be a positive space to publicly praise people at more length than is common for the forum games/socializing sections.

Because this idea seems potentially controversial, I'd like to get feedback about it from more people/discuss the idea in greater length.

Also, I wasn't aware that O/O threads were intended to never be posted in by anyone other than the original author. I re-viewed the General Guide and the Rules threads, but didn't see a reference to that intention. I suggest highlighting it in guide, or adding that policy to the sub-forum's description/tooltip.

Edit: Re-worded a sentence that might have sounded like I was offended.

Edit 2:

To clarify what I'm thinking of for "testimonials":

I might write with something like five (if the match % is high) or 20 (if there are a lot of misses) partners before finding one that seems like an all-around great match. Their writing style and format would be enjoyable, but - more than that - we'd get along very well and be on the same page when it comes to developing plans, manner of discussion, refining ideas, patience, etc. Most importantly (and what I'd highlight in a testimonial), the way in which they interacted and the kinds of things they did that were especially helpful or interesting would be the reasons for my public praise - things related to conscientiousness, thoughtfulness, novelty, and so on.

While I could give a few words of praise about them in a game/socializing thread, it wouldn't really do the great experience justice. And, really, if I'm going to make an at-length public post praising someone's conduct and writing, it makes sense to me to do to in a way that allows other people in the community to see what qualities/behaviors might be especially valued by others. The partner also might not be aware of how valued those qualities/behaviors are, and/or may not be skilled at describing them as part of their behavior in their O/O thread.

I wouldn't write a testimonial/recommendation for everyone I write with, and I wouldn't write one if I didn't have a lot of good things to say (concisely).

I understand that some people might feel "left out" if I don't write a testimonial about them, and that others might worry that cliques are forming. I wouldn't want either of those things. However, the same can be said for who one chooses to focus on writing with in general - as described in one's O/O thread or as actually occurs in group games or and who is chosen out of people who comment on request threads. And, unlike the "seeking"/group/request situations, testimonials provide information to the community that would be of service, and might be seen as another example of Elliquiy being a more positive and friendly forum than other roleplaying sites.

Personally, rather than viewing the idea as being about popularity or instruction (e.g. "This is what a good partner is"), my reactions to seeing partner testimonials elsewhere have been "This person/culture really celebrates good interactions. This is the kind of place i want to be." and "There are things that I can learn from this."
[tr]   [td]
.............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td][/td]   [td] [/td]   [td].............................................  [/td]   [/tr]   [tr]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td]
[/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [/tr][tr]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] [/td]   [td] .............................................  [/td]   [/tr][/table]

Nadir

If you want to sing someone's praises, you can do so in Bly's Shoutout thread or in Love the person above you's writing though they each have their own rule set to abide by.

RampantDesires

There are also the Give an Ego Stroke as well as the other two threads  mentioned :) which can be used to highlight partners who you really enjoy.  I think part of the problem with having a thread just for ... recommendations, is that everyone is looking for something different and has their own preferences and definitions.  It opens the door to somewhat injure the feelings of some of your partners if you chose to highlight the writing of others over theirs.

They say best men are moulded out of faults, and, for the most part, become much more the better for being a little bad...
Absences 11/10 ≈ BlindfoldsRequests ≈  On's and Offs
<THIS SPACE PRETTIFIED SOON>
Tentatively Open to a few more 1v1's but also come write with me in Grey Matters--->

Nadir

There's also a "Favourite Tales" thread where you can link and squee over a game you enjoy *hunts for the link*

eta - here we go. Favourite Tales and Favourite Elliquian Writers

TwoHundredTabs

Quote from: Dim Hon on June 02, 2014, 05:29:38 PM
There's also a "Favourite Tales" thread where you can link and squee over a game you enjoy *hunts for the link*

eta - here we go. Favourite Tales and Favourite Elliquian Writers

These are exactly the kinds of things that I was wanting to make. Thank you.
[tr]   [td]

Nadir

(because we need MORE LINKS)

there is also Bookmarked where you squee about stories/people you don't write in/with but love.

Cycle

Quote from: RampantDesires on June 02, 2014, 05:25:30 PM
I think part of the problem with having a thread just for ... recommendations, is that everyone is looking for something different and has their own preferences and definitions. 

I agree with RD.  What I enjoy in a writing partners is likely to be very different from others, and vice versa.  I think I'd learn more about a person's compatibility with me by talking to them or reading their existing works.  If they want to learn about me, I can refer them to sample stories or talk to them.

Moreover, even if someone is highly recommended, that doesn't mean they're available to take on more RPs or want to take on more RPs.  Rather, if I knew someone is a good writer--and they're looking to write more--I'd try to PM someone else I thought would be a good match and try to make an introduction.

Lastly, I think there would be people who would not like want that kind of public critique and attention.  A simple shout out is fun.  But for some, too much focus on how they write or RP can be uncomfortable or unsettling.

TwoHundredTabs

Quote from: Cycle on June 02, 2014, 05:43:35 PM
I agree with RD.  What I enjoy in a writing partners is likely to be very different from others, and vice versa.  I think I'd learn more about a person's compatibility with me by talking to them or reading their existing works.  If they want to learn about me, I can refer them to sample stories or talk to them.

Moreover, even if someone is highly recommended, that doesn't mean they're available to take on more RPs or want to take on more RPs.  Rather, if I knew someone is a good writer--and they're looking to write more--I'd try to PM someone else I thought would be a good match and try to make an introduction.

Lastly, I think there would be people who would not like want that kind of public critique and attention.  A simple shout out is fun.  But for some, too much focus on how they write or RP can be uncomfortable or unsettling.

RampantDesires' response made me see how people might take the wording I was using as a sort of "advertisement for someone else" kind of thing, which is defitely not what I wanted. So, I'm glad I got feedback about that.

I also think it's important to consider how a writer might feel about the attention, which is why I'd always PM them first to ask permission, and I'd remove any posts that a writer changed their mind about later on. The latter is close to a requirement for the Favorite Writers thread.

Quote from: SpiralSpider on January 18, 2014, 11:53:01 AM
(*Disclaimer: Should someone contact you with wishes to be removed from this thread, you must comply. It may come to pass that someone you enjoy writing with will not appreciate unwanted attention that may come from shared adoration. At which time, you are welcome to keep your praise, but remove their name from it. It will end up being like secret admiration.)
[tr]   [td]

Peripherie

"Clouds come floating into my life, no longer to carry rain or usher
storm, but to add color to my sunset sky." - Rabindranath Tagore