Mid-to-high level D&D 3.5? (Basically Full)

Started by TheGlyphstone, August 02, 2010, 08:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katina Tarask

*Shrug.*  Most of casters' power doesn't come from math.

WyzardWhately

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on August 09, 2010, 08:19:24 PM
So, if this was triple gestalt, what would you guys pick as your third class?

Monk, probably.  My saves would get a little better, and with Kung Fu Genius it'd buy me a bunch more AC.  I actually considered taking one level of Monk just so I could spend a feat on Kung Fu Genius and get like +6 to my AC.  I could also stop carrying a sword, since Rygel could simply punch those enemies not worth magicing.

Anyway, I will continue to hunt for pictures.  Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I'll dig into those new sources tomorrow.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

PhantomPistoleer

Katina, it might be prudent to start up an OOC thread/Character Thread.  I think we are verging on annoying the E populace by continuously bumping this cad on the GAMES WANTED board.

Quote from: WyzardWhately on August 09, 2010, 11:31:56 PM
Monk, probably.  My saves would get a little better, and with Kung Fu Genius it'd buy me a bunch more AC.  I actually considered taking one level of Monk just so I could spend a feat on Kung Fu Genius and get like +6 to my AC.  I could also stop carrying a sword, since Rygel could simply punch those enemies not worth magicing.

Anyway, I will continue to hunt for pictures.  Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I'll dig into those new sources tomorrow.

I was thinking ARCHIVIST myself, but then decided on the advanced ranger. :o
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

WyzardWhately

Archivist is a sweet class, that's what my cohort is.

Yay sexy librarian.  ;)
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0

Katina Tarask

ff

Quote from: Katina Tarask on August 09, 2010, 10:47:53 PM
I have a Warmage build that can deal enough raw damage to kill Zeus in a single round.

LOL! Have a link or text-dump of that build handy? Always thought warmage looked fun but never used it.

Or if you don't have the stat block handy, what are the tricks? Several sources of spontaneous metamagic? Feats whose designers didn't think about their applicability to ranged touched spells? And what *was* Zeus's HP anyway?

WyzardWhately

Is this one of those magic missile trick things?

Katina Tarask

*Checks.*  Oh, wait, can't one-shot Zeus.  He's a lot stronger than the FR gods.  But it deals, like, 900+ damage and can kill the vast majority of the FR gods.

Anyways, the trick involves stacking Arcane Thesis, Incantatrix, Practical Metamagic, and the like onto an Orb of Fire, reducing metamagic costs until you can pull off an empowered, maximized, twin, enervating, admixed, searing et cetera Orb of Fire for massive damage, possibly using metamagic storms to get the necessary metamagic feats.

ff

LOL. The orb spells were great, I remember...bypassed SR, and touch attacks might actually get easier at higher levels against many enemies (i.e. the True Dragons all have Dex 10 so the older, larger ones have lower touch ACs), and 4th level has a lack of direct damage spells in core. 

Metamagic level reduction is great, I knew Incantatrix and Archamage but not those other ones. Metemagic's one way to truly get multiplying multiples, as opposed to the doublings-stack-additively from physical damage multipliers like crits, lances, spirited charge, cavalier, etc. And I guess all that multiplying applies to that Int-bonus-to-damage warmages have.

Wyzard reminded me, I vaguely remembering seeing some crazy thing with Magic Missile. It was something uber-cheesy like a monster with could cast 6 spells at once as an Extaordinary ability, so technically you could polymorph into one and do it. Combined with some obscure Magic Missile themed prestige clas. And since It's Magic Missile you can metamagic the heck out of it. In fact I believe the thread was specifically a competition for most magic missiles in one round.

TheGlyphstone

Yup, the Mailman build (sorcerer base, but Warmage technically works too) is excellent. Seriously tricked-out uberchargers can beat Mailman for sheer damage output....the Hulking Hurler gets its damage expressed exponentially, but they're one-trick monsters. In situations where damage isn't needed, the Mailman is still a Tier 2 gamebreaking full caster.

Katina Tarask

This build isn't the Mailman, though it uses similar tricks.  It trades practicality and consistency for the very kind of one-trick status that the Mailman tries to avoid, getting more raw damage along the way.

TheGlyphstone

See, I'm not sure how using a Warmage basis for the Mailman skeleton (Incantatrix, Arcane Thesis, Orbs, all those shebangs) makes the damage any better. Warmage gets a few bonus Sudden Metamagic feats, but those are usually 1/day, and Warmage Edge is a nonentity in terms of damage at this scale.

Katina Tarask

I use Warmage for lulz.  It really doesn't matter.

TheGlyphstone

Maybe we're using different definitions of the Mailman then - I use the term to just describe what you were mentioning - a spontaneous caster into Incantatrix, stacking loads of metamagic feats onto an Orb of Fire/other element for 1000+ damage. The Sorcerer's usually the starting point because it gets things like Arcane Fusion (spell spam) and Wings of Flurry (uncapped force damage), while still having a big back of OP tricks for other times. Maybe less damage per shot, but it'll demolish any other caster in terms of damage/round.

Tonalberry

So um, did this get off the ground?  If so, do you need another player?  Sorry, didn't want to read through 15 pages, and I could use me some D&D.

Katina Tarask

The game's not quite started, but has an OOC thread and is coming along, nearly ready to begin once a few more people finish.  You would have to wow me very fast to get in.

Tonalberry

Ah, I see.  I might have to back out then.  I'm not very good at coming up with characters very quickly.  I usually have to think a bit on what I want to make, and how.