HTML/DW

Started by MagicalPen, July 14, 2016, 09:22:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicalPen

I have a DreamWeaver/HTML question for those who are more familiar with it than me.

I've created a template with a link/dropdown menu. It created a CSS file for the lnik area in order to edit it.

I have not made all the pages for the Webpage so I am wondering - if I edit the links in the template, will that change the links on all the additional pages I create?

IE: I make a new page. Complete it. Go back to the template page, edit the link to go to that page. Does it apply it to all pages?

Also, how does one link to other Dreamweaver pages?

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

Looking/Available for New Games

AmberStarfire

I knew it well (I have an ACA certification in CS5), but it's literally been years since I used DW.

If you want to know if it's going to affect other links/other pages, the best thing really to do is look at it in the code window and see where the page/template is drawing its styles from.

If multiple pages are drawing their styles from a stylesheet, and you change the applicable styles on the sheet, then they're going to change. You may find classes of styles apply to a range of links or text for example.

As for linking other pages, I found this info here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/dreamweaver/using/linking.html

MagicalPen

Okay.

So I've got the template sorted, finally. Took a while to figure it out. I have it set to apply to all pages that use the template, but that doesn't seem to be working. I don't know if I am not putting the files in the right place?

The other thing I've noticed is that the DropDownMenuLink area is not correct either. The New-Page-From-Template is also doubling the CSS/JS files for the Menu. No idea why or how to remove and its all making me quite frustrated.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

AmberStarfire

It shouldn't really matter where you put the files so long as you link to their location.

I'm not really sure why it would be doubling the links/script, unless they're either doubled on the Template (which applies it to each page) or you have the sheet coming in from a separate place as well so it shows up twice.

I don't have DW anymore so can't look at the program. What version do you have? It might be a good idea to have a look at the pages and tutorials on the Adobe site about templates, in case they show you something that you're not aware of that's going wrong.

MagicalPen

So this is what the Template looks like when previewing it/live viewing it:
Template
This is what the 'new page from template' looks like when previewing it as soon as it opens:
WTF

As you can see, not the same thing, though there should not be anything different between the two documents.

*bangs head against wall*

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

AmberStarfire

Are the links static or is it drawing them in through PHP/from a database??

MagicalPen

I think at this stage I am going to scrap everything I have and start new. And see where it leads me.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

AmberStarfire

Okay. Hopefully the problem won't recur.

MagicalPen

Just using the basic Link system...no fancy pants on this website...and it seems to be working now.

My On and Offs
When the Ink Runs Dry

AmberStarfire

That's great to hear. :)