Gaia's Furies (Werewolf: The Apocalypse)

Started by Jaded, August 01, 2013, 02:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaded

This is a Werewolf the Apocalypse game using the 20th Anniversary Rulebook.  I don’t own the earlier versions, so don’t know how they differ, but if they are similar enough I will allow them to be used as well.  I am also only using the core rulebook for now, as it is the only one I own (I have read a few others when I tried tabletop, but don’t own them).

The characters will be Cliaths who have recently completed their Rite of Passage.  They have been grouped together to help interfere with the installation of an oil rig.  Black Furies characters are preferred, but I may allow females of other tribes. (Bone Gnawers, Children of Gaia, and Silent Striders are the most likely to be accepted)

This game will be rated as Extreme.

-=-=-

The Lost Eagle Nature Preserve, located on an island off the coast of Florida in the Gulf of Mexico, is home to the Troubled Eagle Caern.  The Caern is protected by a Sept comprised primarily of Black Furies, though a small number of females from other tribes have been invited or allowed to stay. 

The Sept itself is hidden within a grotto on the island, though some of the lesser members live on the coast instead.  The island can be accessed by boat, though travel to it is largely restricted, or during low tide a person can walk across a sandbar where the water is around two to three feet deep. 

The nearest town to the Sept is a tourist hotspot known as Elegan, famous for an old Spanish fort and beautiful beaches.  There are also a number of lagoons and swamps nearby, which are largely untouched by mankind. 

Recently an oil company by the name of Northeast Petroleum received permission from the government to place an oil rig not far from the island.  To the Black Furies, this is unacceptable, and they have begun a campaign of interference and destruction to stop it from being completed. 

-=-=-

Xylona ‘White Tail’ was the Sept Leader, an elderly woman well into her seventies, she still had a wiry strength about her and moved with a slow grace.  She stood on a small stone platform in the center of the flooded cave, illuminated by a beam of moonlight from a hole in the roof above. 

“You have all recently completed your Rite of Passage, now you must prove yourselves again.  An oil company wants to defile our Caern, you must help to stop it.”   Her voice was soft, almost quiet, but the gravity of the situation came through clearly.  “You will become a pack and bring about their destruction.  Do not kill if you can avoid it, we don’t want that kind of attention.  But destroy their equipment, sink their ships, burn their warehouses.  They must not be allowed to start drilling.”   Her gaze slid across those gathered, few could meet it for long, certainly not a Cliath.  “Go forth, with the blessing of Pegasus and enact the will of Gaia.” 

As she turned to go, a second woman, younger by about two decades, stepped forward.  A massive silver battle-axe was strapped to her back, and she radiated power.  She was Delphine ‘Serpent Render,’ the Warder of the Caern and a renowned warrior. 

“We have acquired a boat for you to use, it is currently docked in Elegan.  Do not, under any circumstance, bring it to the island.  If you need to, dispose of it.”  She informed the group.  “Now, to the business at hand.  They are building a pumping station up the coast to pipe the oil directly from the rig.  Your first task is to make sure it doesn’t become operational.  Remember, the equipment is your target, not the people.  While you work, try to stay away from the Caern, we don’t need you to be linked back here.  We have kinfolk, and a few Garou, in Elegan, go to the Rose Garden if you need to talk to one of them.  But be wary, something is stirring in the Weaver’s den.  Northeast Petroleum has opened an office, and we believe something unpleasant has its hands in the Devil’s Playground night club that recently opened.  Now, any questions before you depart?”

-=-=-   

Character Sheet
[tt]Name:
Breed:
Auspice:
Tribe:
Experience:

Rage:
Gnosis:
Willpower:

Glory:
Honour:
Wisdom:

Physical
  Strength: 1      Dexterity: 1      Stamina: 1
Social
  Charisma: 1   Manipulation: 1   Appearance: 1
Mental
Perception: 1   Intelligence: 1         Wits: 1

Talents
Alertness:
Athletics:
Brawl:
Empathy:
Expression:
Intimidation:
Leadership:
Primal-Urge:
Streetwise:
Subterfuge:

Skills
Animal-Ken:
Crafts:
Drive:
Etiquette:
Firearms:
Larceny:
Melee:
Performance:
Stealth:
Survival:

Knowledges
Academics:
Computer:
Enigmas:
Investigation:
Law:
Medicine:
Occult:
Rituals:
Science:
Technology:

Backgrounds

Gifts

Rites

Fetishes

Other

Background/History

Appearance (Picture and/or Description)

Player Ons:
Player Offs:
Player Limits:
Character Ons:
Character Offs:[/tt]

JDrew Spider

"Congratulations, you are no longer the most screwed over person on the planet". JD

Spider Hole
Apologies

Jaded

Quote from: JDrew Spider on August 01, 2013, 05:02:05 PM
You have my interest!

:-)  Did you have any thoughts towards a character concept?

Muse

You defiantly have my interest here Jaded. 

There was another Werewolf game sought earlier, but when it turned out to be free form I'm afraid I lost interest. 

I had a silver fang idea that would be fun to play--if you don't think it's odd for a cliath to wield a klaive, but this story seems to call for me to at least consider some black fury concepts. 

I've rarely done a theurge if that roll interests no one else? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jaded

I'm not opposed to a cliath having a klaive, it will attract some attention though, as with any 4-5 dot background. ;)

I may loosen the Black Furies focus a bit, the Sept will still be, but I will probably be more open to other tribes if people really want to play something else. 

Yandros

I am curious about this, as I do much very love W:tA.  I am wondering, how will you deal with the Litany?  Namely "Garou shall not mate with Garou"?

Jaded

I'm not sure what you mean.  The litany, and violations, would be dealt with in game.

Yandros

I'll send you a PM, rather than clutter up the thread here.

Atarn

Hmm, I'd be quite interested in a WtA game.
A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

Jaded

If the three of you who have expressed interest are still interested we could probably get the game off the ground and add more players as we go. 

Muse

Will this girl work?  Will some of her backgrounds be unavialble in this setting?  Like, I see her growing up in DC, will her kinfolk or supportive family be avialble? 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name:      Dame Sessory “Edgewalker” Michaelavich of house Wormfoe
Ausicpice:   Ahroun
Breed:      Homid
Concept:   Klaivinsar Genius
Tribe:      Silver Fangs

Birthday:   May 19th, 1997. 
Height:   5’5” (6’1” in glabro.) 
Weight:   135lbs (220 in Glabro.)
Measures:   36”C, 24”, 30” 
Skin:      Creamy medium tan with a klaive scar on her right wrist. 
Hair:      Platinum blond falling in a ponytail to the small of her back. 
Eyes:      Blue, sparkling with sophistacted mischief or flashing easily into cobalt-hard wrath. 
Style:      Sessory’s causal dress includes a pair of snug blue jeans and a white blouse open down to her naval.  Beneath the blouse, she wears a top that consists of a blue band around her breasts, held together in front by a golden ring. 
      She tries to doff the blouse before changing as so far it’s just the jeans, top, and one pair of panties she’s managed to get dedicated. 
      In appropriate situations, she carries Razor Edge of Night, the Klaive her grandfather wielded and her uncle trained her in. 

Strength      3
Dexterity      4
Stamina      3

Charisma      3
Manipulation      1
Appearance      4

Perception      2
Intelligence      2
Wits         2

Talents: 
Alertness      1
Athletics      1
Brawl         1
Empathy      3
Expression      1
Leadership      3
Intimidation      1
Primal Urge      1
Streetwise      0
Subterfuge      1

Skills: 
Animal Ken      0
Crafts         1
Drive         0
Etiquette      2
Firearms      1
Larceny      0
Melee         4   Klavinsar
Performance      1
Stealth         0
Survival      1

Knowledge’s
Academics      1
Computer      0
Enigmas      0
Investigation      0
Law         0
Medecine      0
Occult         1
Rituals         3
Science      0
Technology      0

Rage         5
Gnosis         3
Willpower      5

Gifts: 
Persuasion

Glory      
Honor      
Wisdom   

Backgrounds: 
Fetish:      4   Razor Edge of Night, a klaive of her lineage. 
Kinfolk:   1   
Mentor      2   Uncle Jeremy/Edgewalker: Rank 3 Philodox and Klavinsar Master
Pure Breed:   3   
Resources:   3

Merits: 
2   Fair Glabro
1   Family Support

Flaws: 
-2   Curiosity
-1   Overconfident

Sessory Michaelavich has known about her family’s secret gifts for as long as she can remember.  Her grandfather was garou, as is her uncle.  Her parent’s are part of her uncle’s kinfolk network. 

Uncle Jeremy was taking her and her little sister—Natasha—camping and teaching them to defend themselves with blades long before her first change.  He talked to them about being Garou, trying to prepare them for the possibility that they would change and help them understand their responsibilities as kin if they didn’t. 

She always was good with a blade, though she didn't hurt anything more alive than a fish 'til her rite of passage. 

Sessory’s is descended from a variety of aristocratic families.  Her parents are lawyers and idealistic liberals.  They made sure she had an expensive private school education, with a healthy smattering of the arts. 

Last year, Sessory had her first change under the full moon.  She was terrified.  Terror triggered rage.  Rage nearly drove her to frenzy.  When Natasha came into her room to see what was wrong, the younger girl wasn’t afraid.  They’d both seen uncle Jeremy’s other forms.   “Sessory!” she gave a delighted squeal at seeing her sister wearing a coat of silver fur.  “You really have the gift!” 

It broke through her fear and rage.  She remembered what she’d learned growing up, remembered her lessons on what she was, how she was blessed with duty and privilege.   

She was a Silver Fang, and she would do her family no harm. 

As part of her training, Jeremy prepared her to inherit her grandfather’s klaive and presented it to her on the night of her Rite of Passage..  She wants to lead a pack, vanquish the wyrm, and save Gaia. 

As she hears more and more horror stories of the first changes of others, Sessory has began to form a definite opinion about the importance of kinfolk in raising a young garou properly.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AndyZ

Quote from: Yandros on August 03, 2013, 06:52:13 PM
I am curious about this, as I do much very love W:tA.  I am wondering, how will you deal with the Litany?  Namely "Garou shall not mate with Garou"?

Quote from: Jaded on August 03, 2013, 06:56:30 PM
I'm not sure what you mean.  The litany, and violations, would be dealt with in game.

I believe the question here is whether lesbian relations count as mating.  Arguments have been made both for and against, and ultimately it often comes down to a ST call.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Jaded

Can you list where her freebie points were spent Muse?  Also I believe you get 3 Gifts, not 1. 

I'm sure we can figure out how to include most/all backgrounds if you want to take them.  Though a kinfolk in a distant state may not be as useful as a local one in the short term.

Quote from: AndyZ on August 06, 2013, 07:37:25 PM
I believe the question here is whether lesbian relations count as mating.  Arguments have been made both for and against, and ultimately it often comes down to a ST call.

It would depend on the character who is making the judgement, though personally I lean towards no.  I am not planning on making exceptions to the litany due to the game being on elliquiy however.

Muse

Ack!  :) 

I can try. 

You're entirely correct about the gifts.  I guess I didn't upgrade this girl from the last game I submited her too as well as I wanted too.

Muse

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Name:      Dame Sessory “Edgewalker” Michaelavich of house Wormfoe
Ausicpice:   Ahroun
Breed:      Homid
Concept:   Klaivinsar Genius
Tribe:      Silver Fangs

Birthday:   May 19th, 1997. 
Height:   5’5” (6’1” in glabro.) 
Weight:   135lbs (220 in Glabro.)
Measures:   36”C, 24”, 30” 
Skin:      Creamy medium tan with a klaive scar on her right wrist. 
Hair:      Platinum blond falling in a ponytail to the small of her back. 
Eyes:      Blue, sparkling with sophistacted mischief or flashing easily into cobalt-hard wrath. 
Style:      Sessory’s causal dress includes a pair of snug blue jeans and a white blouse open down to her naval.  Beneath the blouse, she wears a top that consists of a blue band around her breasts, held together in front by a golden ring. 
      She tries to doff the blouse before changing as so far it’s just the jeans, top, and one pair of panties she’s managed to get dedicated. 
      In appropriate situations, she carries Razor Edge of Night, the Klaive her grandfather wielded and her uncle trained her in. 

Strength      3
Dexterity      4
Stamina      3

Charisma      3
Manipulation      1
Appearance      4

Perception      2
Intelligence      2
Wits         2

Talents: 
Alertness      1
Athletics      1
Brawl         1
Empathy      3
Expression      1
Leadership      3
Intimidation      1
Primal Urge      1
Streetwise      0
Subterfuge      1

Skills: 
Animal Ken      0
Crafts         1
Drive         0
Etiquette      2
Firearms      1
Larceny      0
Melee         4   Klavinsar
Performance      1
Stealth         0
Survival      1

Knowledge’s
Academics      1
Computer      0
Enigmas      0
Investigation      0
Law         0
Medicine      0
Occult         1
Rituals         3
Science      0
Technology      0

Rage         5   
Gnosis         4(3)
Willpower      5

Gifts: 
Inspiration (1 Gnosis)
Lambant Flame (1 Willpower)
Persuasion

Glory      
Honor      
Wisdom   

Backgrounds: 
Fetish:      4   Razor Edge of Night, a klaive of her lineage. 
Mentor      2   Uncle Jeremy/Raycutter: Rank 3 Philodox and Klavinsar Master
Pure Breed:   3   
Resources:   2
Totem      3

Merits: 
2   Fair Glabro
1   Family Support

Flaws: 
-1   Banned Transformation: In the presence of her little sister. 
-2   Curiosity
-1   Overconfident
-2   Phobia, Mild: Cats
-1   Slip Sideways

Sessory Michaelavich has known about her family’s secret gifts for as long as she can remember.  Her grandfather was garou, as is her uncle.  Her parent’s are part of her uncle’s kinfolk network. 

Uncle Jeremy was taking her and her little sister—Natasha—camping and teaching them to defend themselves with blades long before her first change.  He talked to them about being Garou, trying to prepare them for the possibility that they would change and help them understand their responsibilities as kin if they didn’t. 

She always was good with a blade, though she didn't hurt anything more alive than a fish 'til her rite of passage. 

Sessory’s is descended from a variety of aristocratic families.  Her parents are lawyers and idealistic liberals.  They made sure she had an expensive private school education, with a healthy smattering of the arts. 

Last year, Sessory had her first change under the full moon.  She was terrified.  Terror triggered rage.  Rage nearly drove her to frenzy.  When Natasha came into her room to see what was wrong, the younger girl wasn’t afraid.  They’d both seen uncle Jeremy’s other forms.   “Sessory!” she gave a delighted squeal at seeing her sister wearing a coat of silver fur.  “You really have the gift!” 

It broke through her fear and rage.  She remembered what she’d learned growing up, remembered her lessons on what she was, how she was blessed with duty and privilege.   

She was a Silver Fang, and she would do her family no harm. 

As part of her training, Jeremy prepared her to inherit her grandfather’s klaive and presented it to her on the night of her Rite of Passage..  She wants to lead a pack, vanquish the wyrm, and save Gaia. 

As she hears more and more horror stories of the first changes of others, Sessory has began to form a definite opinion about the importance of kinfolk in raising a young garou properly.
[/quote]

Bonus Points: 
9   Backgrounds
2   Melee
3   Merits
6   Gnosis
2   Willpower

Jaded

Unless I've counted wrong, you've taken 7 flaws, and 3 merits, but spent 22 freebie points, so are 3 off (you spent like you didn't have merits). (edit: I counted wrong :P )  I'm also not sure I'd allow the Banned Transformation, Sister as a flaw unless you wanted her to be local (and a major part of the story).  Otherwise it looks good. :-)

Pumpkin Seeds

Kind of leaning toward a Lupus Black Fury Theurge.  Unsure yet, but just liking the idea of someone so deeply connected to the Wyld being involved in a campaign to stop an oil rig.

Jaded

Sounds like a good fit. :-)  Let me know what you decide. 

Muse

Do you still want to run this, Jaded?  I can nudge a few people. 

Jaded

I'm still hoping too.  If anyone is interested I'd appreciate if you nudged them, thanks.  :-) 

Atarn

Name: Elena Sanchez.
Breed: Homid
Auspice: Galliard
Tribe: Black Fury
Experience:

Rage: 4
Gnosis: 2
Willpower: 4

Glory:      2/0
Honour:   0/0
Wisdom:   2/0

Physical
  Strength: 3      Dexterity: 3      Stamina: 3
   Social
  Charisma: 3   Manipulation: 3   Appearance: 4 (Hard Bodied)
   Mental
Perception: 2   Intelligence: 2         Wits: 2

Talents
Alertness: 3
Athletics: 3
Brawl: 3
Empathy:
Expression: 1
Intimidation: 2
Leadership:
Primal-Urge: 1
Streetwise:
Subterfuge:

Skills
Animal-Ken:
Crafts:
Drive:
Etiquette: 3
Firearms: 1
Larceny:
Melee: 1
Performance:   4   Singing
Stealth: 1
Survival:

Knowledge's
Academics: 1
Computer:
Enigmas: 1
Investigation:
Law: 1
Medicine:
Occult:
Rituals: 1
Science: 1
Technology:

Backgrounds
               Pure Breed   3
               Resources   1
               Spirit Heritage   1
   Totem      1
   Gifts
Persuasion
Mindspeak
Man's Skin
   Rites

Fetishes

Fair Glabro
Physically Impressive

Background/History

Player Ons:
Player Offs:
Player Limits:
Character Ons:
Character Offs:
A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

Jaded

Looks good Atarn, though I believe you only start with 2 Glory and 1 Wisdom.  (Unless I am missing something, which is possible ;) )

One or two more characters and we should be able to start. :-) 

Atarn

Got my wife to be interested, will make the char with her tonight. Sorry for beign a bit slow Jaded, but work's kept me occupied.
A sudden storm in
    summer, the brightest
    star at night; an
    opportunist rogue,
    confessor of sins
    a master of hearts
    a dominant lover

Jaded

Sounds good. :-)

No rush, I haven't been posting much lately myself. 

AndyZ

Name: Frosty
Breed: Lupus
Auspice: Ragabash
Tribe: Wendigo
Experience:

Rage: 4
Gnosis: 6
Willpower: 8

Glory: 1
Honor: 1
Wisdom: 1

Physical
  Strength: 3      Dexterity: 4 (Lightning Reflexes)     Stamina: 3
   Social
  Charisma: 2   Manipulation: 1   Appearance: 3
   Mental
Perception: 3   Intelligence: 2         Wits: 3

Talents
Alertness: 3
Athletics: 1
Brawl: 3
Empathy: 1
Expression: 1
Intimidation:
Leadership:
Primal-Urge: 3
Streetwise:
Subterfuge: 1

Skills
Animal-Ken: 1
Crafts:
Drive:
Etiquette:
Firearms:
Larceny:
Melee: 1
Performance: 1
Stealth: 3
Survival: 3

Knowledges
Academics:
Computer:
Enigmas: 1
Investigation: 1
Law:
Medicine: 1
Occult: 1
Rituals: 1
Science:
Technology:

Backgrounds

Ancestors 3, Pure Blood 2

Gifts

Heightened Senses, Open Seal, Call the Breeze

Rites

Fetishes

Other

Merits: Concentration +1, Self-Confident +5

Background/History

Frosty still isn't convinced that becoming a Ragabash wasn't a big joke on her by Luna.

She grew up far north of these lands, where the winters are cold and a thick coat of fur isn't always enough to keep you warm.  She wasn't the smartest, wasn't the fastest and certainly wasn't the strongest, but she did her best to keep up and help the pack every way she could.  She always saw humans as just another predator above her in what some Garou call the chain of food.

Her First Change was as horrifying as it was liberating, though in hindsight, she feels some shame even do this day as per the situation.  The strange device that the human was using wasn't actually a weapon but a "Ca-Ma-Ra," and her pack was in no true danger, but that didn't stop her desperate attempt to step in.  When the Garou found her, she was shaking like crazy trying to get all the blood off of her.

Although she knows she's not overly intelligent, there's a number of things which seem idiotic to her, and she often says so.  The elders claim that this is why she was chosen as a Ragabash, though she can't help but wonder about that at times.  The most outrageous thing she's ever said was that, with the coming of the Apocalypse, perhaps Garou should start breeding with other Garou.  After all, it's far better to have ten Metis breed true than a single Lupus or Homid, and they won't have to worry about breeding.  However, it's not something she's ever put into practice.

Her Homid form is a young Native American woman in dirty clothes, who is pretty enough but hasn't really taken to the idea of "bathing" other than to wash off her scent so as to better hide.  In Lupus, she has pure white fur, nearly indistinguishable from snow.

Player Ons:
Player Offs:
Player Limits: I have a big limit for permanently losing body parts.  It doesn't come up often and doesn't fit in the system rules, but I've had it happen to characters before.  I don't mind the mutilation of others, just my own char.  (I think this will only be an issue with Battle Scars, but best to list it implicitly.)
Character Ons:
Character Offs:
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.