What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Which is why I plan to get it for both. Lol

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 04, 2010, 06:30:35 PM
On just roaming around in New Vegas, anyone else find that the Mojave seems pretty tame compared to the Capital Wasteland? And even more so compared to the wasteland in the older games?
I think that's intentional. You have to remember that in D.C. it's dog-eat-dog for real. There's no big faction, no unification of any tribes. It's total anarchy with exception to a few settlements that you can wipe off the map.

The West is where the real bastions of civilization lie. As for the previous games out West: The NCR wasn't a big player then and the only really big name was the Brotherhood and they didn't give a shake about anything but tech. Now the NCR, the Legion, and House are all big players. It's a much more civilized wasteland.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on November 05, 2010, 04:13:31 PM
I think that's intentional. You have to remember that in D.C. it's dog-eat-dog for real. There's no big faction, no unification of any tribes. It's total anarchy with exception to a few settlements that you can wipe off the map.

The West is where the real bastions of civilization lie. As for the previous games out West: The NCR wasn't a big player then and the only really big name was the Brotherhood and they didn't give a shake about anything but tech. Now the NCR, the Legion, and House are all big players. It's a much more civilized wasteland.

I know, it's just that the whole idea of the wasteland sort of loses some of its appeal for me when it becomes civilized. Much better atmosphere in the other games. New Vegas is obviously inspired by World War 1, and I guess there's not only a certain irony to that but they also pulled it off quite well, but it still doesn't feel as good to me as the previous games. It's just my opinion, though. I happen to respect that opinion! :'D

Inkidu

I guess there point is it's not going to be a wasteland forever. Still that brings up an interesting question. What setting is next? I can't really think of one I'm dying to see.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Geeklet

I'd like to see something a bit further north. Or in the mountains. Ideally set in the winter, so that its more of a frozen wasteland.

Hemingway

Well, when civilization starts re-building, doesn't it sort of cease to be post-apocalyptic? I mean, strictly speaking, it's still post-apocalyptic, but that's not really the main focus any more. It's more about rebuilding the world, less about living in the ashes of nuclear war.

Hmm. I also wonder when people are going to start building their own houses. Seriously, the game takes place like 200 years after the Great War, and people are still living in pre-war houses with boarded-up windows. I don't buy it.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on November 05, 2010, 05:29:34 PM
Well, when civilization starts re-building, doesn't it sort of cease to be post-apocalyptic? I mean, strictly speaking, it's still post-apocalyptic, but that's not really the main focus any more. It's more about rebuilding the world, less about living in the ashes of nuclear war.

Hmm. I also wonder when people are going to start building their own houses. Seriously, the game takes place like 200 years after the Great War, and people are still living in pre-war houses with boarded-up windows. I don't buy it.

Hmm..which is easier to do. Build new houses, or just live in the old ones?

*whaps Hemingway* Think! xD

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on November 05, 2010, 06:04:28 PM
Hmm..which is easier to do. Build new houses, or just live in the old ones?

*whaps Hemingway* Think! xD

It's been 200 years! It's a miracle any of those houses were left standing after the war, and these lazy assholes living in the atomic wasteland haven't even bothered fixing the WINDOWS? COME ON.

Wolfy

Quote from: Hemingway on November 05, 2010, 06:58:43 PM
It's been 200 years! It's a miracle any of those houses were left standing after the war, and these lazy assholes living in the atomic wasteland haven't even bothered fixing the WINDOWS? COME ON.

Hemingway, think of it this way. What's a better resource use..something productive, or fixing the damn windows? xD

The thing you SHOULD be wondering about is why the hell there are no working vehicles (Beside the bomber and trains)....I mean, seriously..you'd think you'd see SOMEONE with a car.

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on November 05, 2010, 08:13:50 PM
Hemingway, think of it this way. What's a better resource use..something productive, or fixing the damn windows? xD

The thing you SHOULD be wondering about is why the hell there are no working vehicles (Beside the bomber and trains)....I mean, seriously..you'd think you'd see SOMEONE with a car.

I think fixing up your house is pretty productive. And cars, too! You've got the right idea, it's the same exact thing!

Brandon

After 200 years with no maintenance I find it hard to believe that any old style house is still standing. After 25 years roofs start to become soft and leak. So multiply that by 8 and explain to me how that thing still stands
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Oniya

Suppose the houses are being repaired - only the survivors have minimal if any experience in doing it correctly.  Windows might be simply boarded up from a shortage of glass, and crumbly roofing might be the result of sub-standard materials used in fixing the holes.  Instead of doing a proper job of it, the tenants are slapping up a piece of plywood or siding that they pulled off of some building in even worse shape, then rain/weather/whatever seeps in around the edges of the patch, assuming that the repair job itself doesn't do additional damage (making holes in flashing, taking a splinter off a support beam instead of being nailed firmly into it, person's weight making a previously 'passable' board give way a bit more...)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

I count Post Apocalypse as this... is the world still facing challenges that were created by the apocalypse? If so, then yes, this is Post Apoc.

If you build your cities, establish trade and commerce and law, clean your streets, get yourselves back on track, but there's still dangerous roads out there between cities, or radiation based sickness, or any difficulty you're recovering civilization faces that spawned from the war or the aftermath, then it is Post Apocalypse.

Brandon

I agree with that definition of post apocolyptic Sabby.

That said, I am not opposed to a story arc where the fallout setting recreates civilization, we can already see the beginnings of that in new vegas. In fact founding a powerful city/state in and of itself, using the various skills or perks a character learns over time could make for an interesting fallout game. However its not post apolcolyptic, at least not IMO
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Wolfy

Quote from: Brandon on November 05, 2010, 08:43:47 PM
After 200 years with no maintenance I find it hard to believe that any old style house is still standing. After 25 years roofs start to become soft and leak. So multiply that by 8 and explain to me how that thing still stands

I dunno. Why did the world not move past the 1950's? Why are aliens visiting? Why do we somehow have Laser and Plasma Guns? How is it that I can shoot the head off a super mutant with a BB gun?

MAGIC.

Brandon

Quote from: Wolfy on November 05, 2010, 10:48:39 PM
I dunno. Why did the world not move past the 1950's? Why are aliens visiting? Why do we somehow have Laser and Plasma Guns? How is it that I can shoot the head off a super mutant with a BB gun?

MAGIC.

Actually cultural themes tend to repeat themselves Wolfy. I figured the timeline was when the 1950's style came back in style yet we still had a long run of technological marvels going on like lasers and plasma guns

Tonalberry

MAGIC.

For the whole laser and plasma weapons, and the powered weapons, that's cause it's an alternate history.  Just HOW we came up with that kind of technology in the '50s, I'm not sure of.

Wolfy

Quote from: Brandon on November 05, 2010, 10:57:01 PM
Actually cultural themes tend to repeat themselves Wolfy. I figured the timeline was when the 1950's style came back in style yet we still had a long run of technological marvels going on like lasers and plasma guns

So..you're saying some time in the future, the Roaring 20's are gonna become popular again?

Brandon

Could be possible, I cant count how many times my cousin has said styles from the 60s and 70s are becoming popular again (usually said while discussing her kids clothes). I dont see why styles of dress and music couldnt come back for a period of time and thats sort of what I assumed happened in fallout

Sabby

I think the official story is that after World War 2, we decided to keep using Nuclear power. Either Hiroshima didn't happen, or it didn't scare us away from the technology like it did in our history. That's the point our realities fork.

So 270 years of perfecting nuclear power... for all I know, the kind of technology presented in Fallout is completely possible with that kind of science :P

Brandon

Come to think of it, you know one aspect of fallout brotherhood of steel that I miss? Home made weapons. In that game you got home made rifles, laser pistols and such. I know BOS is not supposed to be cannon but I still wish the newer fallout games would allow us to make weaponry from scratch like that. They could be easier to repair and last longer but sacrifice damage and range as a trade off

Geeklet

MAGIC.
That is where you are wrong. Its not MAGIC. Its SCIENCE! Emphasis on the all caps and exclamation point.

Wolfy

Quote from: Geeklet on November 06, 2010, 03:18:56 AM
That is where you are wrong. Its not MAGIC. Its SCIENCE! Emphasis on the all caps and exclamation point.

Of course! Don't you know anything about Science?!

(Points to whoever gets this reference..:P)

Inkidu

Actually I read the Fallout wiki and it says in the Fallout universe that the world never moved past the culture of the 50s. Yes more advanced, but it's nothing cyclical. So I don't think it's a fear of nukes, I think it's a lack of hippies.

Sabby

Geez, never moving past the 50's... being called 'sport' just one pisses me off xD