Harry Potter: Spreading Shadows (EX interest check)

Started by Google, December 30, 2013, 09:07:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Google

Caela, there is no reason at all that students, teachers, and ministry workers couldn't be involved in the game but really there is no one type of character that I am looking for. You could play the student, you could play a Wizard Private Investigator, you could even be a refugee from a part of Europe where the Death Eaters have taken control.

GhettoMagick, some wonderful questions.
1. I envision the adult age for wizards being 18, mirroring the general age in most states where one is considered an adult... I am thinking the Federal Magic Beura would be the equivalent of the ministry while the council are the people in charge there would also need to be the many different departments and department heads who report to the council.
2. The park itself might not be quite that massive but there is no reason that parts of it couldn't be accessible to only those who know how to find them.
3. Muggle always felt like a universal wizarding english term to me rather then a slang term so muggle will stand.
4. As in Wizarding Britain wizards can wear robes and such... but there are no rules against muggle fashions being embraced and perhaps even tweaked, use your imagination
5. Apparition, Port Keys, Floo, and if you know how to make yourself invisible then a Broom... all of these are of course acceptable.
6. I was thinking there could be a subway station for wizards that take them to either the school (which would be outside the city just because of the scale that would be needed) and the American Wizarding Government... I am thinking the Federal Magic Bureau (not overly attached to that name) would be the equivalent of the ministry while the council are the people in charge there would also need to be the many different departments and department heads who report to the council.
7. There would be an academy, I actually figured North America would have a few of them but if students were involved then it would primarily focus on one outside of the City.
Psychopaths cannot feel love.
Not in the traditional meaning.
To a psychopath DOMINATION is the closest sensation to love.
Though it is much greater.
Its intensity is all consuming.
(Note... I am a touch under the weather so replies may be slow for the next day or two, I do apologize.)

RubySlippers

Question what is the relationship with the Muggle government and magical authority in the USA, are they willing to work together?

Nymphadora

I'm trying to think of interesting names for places.... did think of this though.  8-)

A version of the Knight Bus as a handful of NY Cabs
McSorley's Old Ale House  As an entrance to a Diagon Alley type of place. 
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Rate:Weekly give or take
Availability:
Unavailable for new plottings, sorry.
O&Os Please review
♪As flawed as you may think you are, you're perfect to me!♪

Google

Well Ruby I was thinking that the President might be made aware of of the existence of Magic when he is elected... essentially a We exist and hopefully we will never have to meet again sort of thing.

Nymph... thank you... epic ideas there
(Note... I am a touch under the weather so replies may be slow for the next day or two, I do apologize.)

RubySlippers

My character will be a modern witch, half-blood with a Muggle career interest and well magic was secondary with a focus on utility, I was thinking she would be fairly cross educated this is not the dark ages if she wants to work she is far more likely to work among Muggles over magical folk.

So not sure how she would fit in if there is a magical Academy she would at most be working on Charms while going to a regular college for her career plans.

On the plus side she would be the first to propose tapping the Muggles on two grounds their technology should be unusual for the Death Eater purists giving a decisive benefit and if we fail and Muggles decide to retaliate on all magical folk they outnumber the magical folk several millions to one they will win a war if they go to war.

Google

The accademy would be for the not yet adult characters... think Hogwarts... I may also establish a magical college for those who are pursuing special careers but there is no reason that a graduate of the accademy couldn't work her way into a muggle school

Google

Also trying to bring Muggles in might not go over well... I mean yea sure they would likely attack the Death Eaters... but they could also freak out and try to kill any and all magic users.

Joslyn

I made a character sheet we could use for this if its okay.  :-)

[float=right][img padding=10 width=400]URL[/img][/float]
[tt]Name:   
Sex:   
Weight:

Blood Status:
Affiliation: 
Strength:     
Weakness:     
[/tt]
[b]Personality[/b]

[b]History[/b]

Google

Honestly I do appreciate that... I think when the ball gets rolling I will put that into play...

Nymphadora

I'd be interested in helping with the shop keepers, most of whom I assume would be NPC unless someone creates a specific shop and character.

Also, currency, I think it would be best to keep wizarding currency. I don't think I missed that in the posts... sorry if duplicating or cutting in on thoughts if I did.
A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

Google

I was... actually I was going to be lazy on that one and just use the same currency system

Google

Ok so Location ideas we have so far, names are liable to change or be decided on...

Resistance HQ (Need a better name for them, something symbolic... not order of the pheonix but perhaps a reference to Potter's Name"
Voldemort Supporters HQ (remember that they are technically operating in secret... not necessarily trying to raise protests or public support but to soften the target for the take over)
The North Eastern Magical Academy of the Americas. (Hogwarts Equivalent, education usually starts when child is ten and ends when they are eighteen, though depending on the time of the year the birthday falls they may enter at nine and graduate at seventeen and in the richest of traditions the school will be broken into Houses arranged in the tradition of Hogwarts)
Central Park (Plenty of hidden away places charmed to repel muggles)
Diagon equivilent (need a name for it)
McSorley's Old Ale House (strictly enforced political neutral ground, favorite watering hole of the magical community and one of the hidden entrances into the Diagon equivilent)

That is six areas I have so far and I might just establish an Other board... for RP taking place in private domiciles or the New York Subway system

RainyHigh

Ideas for the name of the Resistance HQ
Potter's Invisible Cloak
The Golden Order
The Fourth Task

and that's all I have for now...
Rainy's Ons and Offs
Currently not open for solo stories

Google

I do like the fourth task... perhaps a PUB (Potter's Unfinished Business)

I have a rough first draft of my own character, refinements will be made but this way we can see how the character sheet that Joslyn was kind enough to type up for us works... if anyone sees anything that should be added to the sheet just bring it up now...

Name: Dominic Blackwell
Sex: Male
Height: Six Foot Two
Weight: Two Hundred and Ten Pounds
Blood Status: Pure Blood, as far back as anyone has been able to trace his family tree
Affiliation: Neo-Death Eater
Strength: Quick Reflexes which have made him one hell of a Quidditch player and in school he excelled in Defense Against the Dark Arts.
Weakness: Transfiguration was always a bit of a struggle for him and Ancient Runes was a class he dropped at the first opportunity.

Personality: Dominic was born into a privileged life, his family was not Malfoy rich but they were very well off. As an only child he was given just about anything he could ever want and not hearing no no ended up doing more damage then one might expect to the developing young man.

He is a man who is confident to the point of arrogance at times and yet he is often able to get away with it, blessed with a charisma that makes people forgive such a character flaw because they often want him to like them. Determined and driven Dominic will do whatever it takes to get what he wants, when he sets his eyes on something he desires then it will be his, he does not see obstacles as something that block his path but instead as temporary inconveniences that will soon be overcome (even if those are people). The charm and charisma can often mask the darker side of his drive and determination, if there is a situation where he isn't getting what he wants he will often be quick to anger, hiding it behind a smile while the rage burns cold in his heart.

He is a believer in Pure Blood Superiority, it isn't something he displays publicly but he is a pure blood and he is superior to most others around him... the world would just make more sense with Pure Bloods in charge.

History: Dominic was born about a year after the fall of the Dark Lord on the fateful night that he went to kill a Young Harry Potter and was sixteen when the resurrected Dark Lord took control of Wizarding Great Britain and killed Harry Potter. He grew up hearing about how Lord Voldemort may have been the last hope for the Pure Blooded Wizards of the world, how if he had lived then he would have ushered in a new golden age for Pure Bloods... His family was of course quietly pleased when the Dark Lord returned.

Of course by the time that happened he was practically grown and had started to form his own opinions. In his time at school he met plenty of mixed blood students and even more muggle borns and while none of them seemed to be obviously flawed at a glance he noticed a lack of respect for the rich tradition they had found themselves a part of, as though they wanted to drag Muggle traditions into the clearly superior world of Wizards. There was no major event that he could point too but in a hundred small ways over his time in school he began to appreciate the views of his parents more and more.

Of course his time at school did more then just teach him about Pure Blood Superiority, he did rather well in his studies and graduated in the top five of his class academically and was the top rated Student Chaser in North America, quickly drafted to play professional Quiditch after his graduation. Though the Chaser is not often considered the most glorious or flashy position Dominic earned a reputation as one of the most talented players out there, a regular on the roster of many a Fantasy Quidditch Teams.

But the glory days can't last forever, he is getting a little bit older and the sport is not a forgiving one, recently he has been considering retiring and following his fathers footsteps into politics, a few contacts that his father had made over the years putting him in touch with the Neo-Death Eater movement.... and Dominic has been swiftly rising through the ranks.

Xanatos

Hmm... I could be interested.

First off, how many characters can we play? I have two already in mind, that I would love to play.

Secondly, how will PvP happen/be resolved? I would personally advise it being a consenting affair between the players involved, if PvP is allowed in the first place. Basically players PM each other, work out the details - tell the GM so he/she knows. Then RP out the results. That way it ends with everyone happy and no hurt feelings.

Google

I didn't really see it as being to heavy on combat but so long as both players involved are willing to work out the situation I don't see any reason to get involved. Now if a character is going to die then a heads up to me or anyone assisting me would be lovely (so that possible ideas for a Meta Plot can be tweaked) but I think everyone is mature enough to handle their own business.

Now I think 2 per person is a good base line, exceptions may be made on case by case but I don't want to flood it with too many character straight off

Xanatos

Sounds good.

I might be willing to help assist with the game, so shoot me a PM if wish.

Now another question for everyone's benefit, are we allowed to create new spells? If I remember correctly, Snape made a few of his own. It has been awhile since I immersed myself in Potter, however.

Google

Huh... the spells might be a no... I would need to think it over but I am sure we could find a database of the spells from the movies, books, and games... perhaps a few fan spells or non vocals spells in certain situations (more for fun then for any real effect in the game) could be tossed in but I don't want to open the door to someone trying and cooking up a fourth unforgivable curse.

Nymphadora

A&As UPDATED Oct 26/23

Availability:
O&Os Please review

Caela

Quote from: Xanatos on December 30, 2013, 11:06:14 PM
Sounds good.

I might be willing to help assist with the game, so shoot me a PM if wish.

Now another question for everyone's benefit, are we allowed to create new spells? If I remember correctly, Snape made a few of his own. It has been awhile since I immersed myself in Potter, however.

Made a few of his own, and heavily modified those in his Potions book in "Half-Blood Prince".

Quote from: Google on December 30, 2013, 11:09:00 PM
Huh... the spells might be a no... I would need to think it over but I am sure we could find a database of the spells from the movies, books, and games... perhaps a few fan spells or non vocals spells in certain situations (more for fun then for any real effect in the game) could be tossed in but I don't want to open the door to someone trying and cooking up a fourth unforgivable curse.

Just a thought, but maybe any new spell ideas would have to go through the GM's and within certain limits, like nothing that could kill/maim or be excruciatingly painful, no love/lust spells, nothing that would block/take a person's free will, that sort of thing...or maybe just things that are fun...new "joke" spells, or special effects type things like raining down sparkles or flowers type of stuff. ~shrugs~ Or even just the amusement of....you can try, but it's not likely to work so be prepared to write how it blows up in your face. :D

Google

One reason I like the Potter setting is the relative ease of balance... sure you have the occasional all powerful dark lord time but being clever or creative seems to work better then raw power.
And of course just about anyone can use any spell... there are of course exceptions like the Patronus which not everyone will be able to fully manifest and the Killing Curse (you really need to want them dead)

Right now I am going to put a tentative no on any sort of major affect spell, if you want to get creative and have some fun with spells that you cook up then go ahead... anything bigger though should probably be run past me or anyone who is assisting me...

I mean some spells that aren't listed in the book pretty much have to exist... they never say what the spell that heals broken bones is (though there is a very comical failure) so I wouldn't begrudge anyone throwing in a spell to fix a fracture or inflate a tire (maybe even magical cabs have a breakdown)

Sorry I am close to burned out for the day... please don't let my absence stop you from thinking and plotting but I NEED SLEEP

Xanatos

I'll show you two spells I created for a previous Potter game to give you an idea of what I was thinking of. I agree that we don't need any more unforgiveable curses, but well managed spells could be really cool. If you still don't want new spells, I understand.

These two spells would be my two characters signature spells, created and used exclusively by them (as they jealously guard the use of said spells).

Acerbident (Curse): (acerbi-dent) This creates flames which seem to burn with a bitterness, symbolized by a greenish brown tint to the glowing orange flames. This creates magical flames which can be shot straight or with an arch to them to achieve greater distance.

Wand Motion: The wand and hand, to achieve a straight flame, must be pointed straight ahead at the target. To achieve an arching flame the hand and wand must be upraised and pointing slightly downward (it usually ends up straight being in the upraised position which casts the spell efficiently enough, but those who can master the slight bend, can cast the spell in a superior more powerful fashion).

Original Latin
Acerbus: bitter, gloomy, dark
Ardent: Fiery 

Acidusbasi (Hex): (acidus-basi) Causes sharp pains as if being stabbed with needles. Does no physical damage.

Original Latin
Acidus: Sharp, sour.
Basium: Kiss

Caela

Quote from: Google on December 30, 2013, 11:18:57 PM
One reason I like the Potter setting is the relative ease of balance... sure you have the occasional all powerful dark lord time but being clever or creative seems to work better then raw power.
And of course just about anyone can use any spell... there are of course exceptions like the Patronus which not everyone will be able to fully manifest and the Killing Curse (you really need to want them dead)

Right now I am going to put a tentative no on any sort of major affect spell, if you want to get creative and have some fun with spells that you cook up then go ahead... anything bigger though should probably be run past me or anyone who is assisting me...

I mean some spells that aren't listed in the book pretty much have to exist... they never say what the spell that heals broken bones is (though there is a very comical failure) so I wouldn't begrudge anyone throwing in a spell to fix a fracture or inflate a tire (maybe even magical cabs have a breakdown)

Sorry I am close to burned out for the day... please don't let my absence stop you from thinking and plotting but I NEED SLEEP

Actually, Madame Pomfrey uses a potion (Skelo-Grow) to mend broken bones...or in Harry's case to entirely re-grow them in his arm. :)

ETA: In the Potter-verse it seems like there actually isn't a spell for everything...but there may be a potion for it if there's not. There seems to be a balance between what can be done with a wand and what can be done with potions.

Google

She did but she did state that she could have mended them quickly... maybe the same potion does that or maybe its a different potion or maybe a spell... sorry lack of sleep is catching up.

Caela

Quote from: Google on December 30, 2013, 11:25:17 PM
She did but she did state that she could have mended them quickly... maybe the same potion does that or maybe its a different potion or maybe a spell... sorry lack of sleep is catching up.

She did...I always just got the impression that a break was a much faster fix than actually having to regrow the whole bone. :)