Gangland: Urban Decay - PvP System-lite (Recruiting)

Started by Moraline, September 05, 2013, 03:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moraline

I've decided that I'm going to pause this idea.

Thank you to everyone that volunteered, made character sheets, and/or participated in conversations.

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Opened up OOC and Character Profiles threads. 
(Please move the discussion over there, and post your character profiles in the right thread.)

Links:
OOC
Character Profiles

*Notice* We are still recruiting and are accepting neutral characters.
Drop a post in here if you're interested in joining the game.
Everyone else that's already applied for the game can post their profiles in the thread link above.

Gangland: Urban Decay - PvP System-lite (Interest Check)

I'm looking at possibly starting up a group game that revolves around 3 opposing factions in a setting of modern urban blight. All factions and locations will be completely fictional. Members will be multi-ethnic and non-gender specific. LGBT friendly.

I'm looking for flexible go with the flow sort of role players that won't take any PvP personally as this whole RP will revolve around constant threat of violence between the 3 factions.

My games tend to be fast posting with the expectation of several posts a week from players.

The system and setting is still under development. Your input is requested and appreciated. (Click here for system conversation).
T
he system will be simple, easy, and not require complex calculations or any sort of mess like that. The E dicebot will be used to resolve PvP combat and players are expected to roll with the punches and lose their fights when needed with style.

Factions:

• Police - Line County Police(LCP or "Black & Whites" to the locals) are the local law enforcement agency. They are understaffed, underfunded, have no room in their county lock-up and do their best to only involve themselves when innocent civilians get hurt/robbed. Otherwise they only come out in force for serious criminal offenses such as catching large quantities of narcotics or arresting murder suspects. They are fairly well respected by locals and the two major gangs but if they cross the gangs paths at the wrong time it can get messy. Messy can also lead to arrests/shootouts.
  • Rolling Nines - R9s, Color to represent are Blues. They get their name from the 9th Street Freeway that roars overhead of their district. A multi-ethnic area like the rest of Line County but they live down in a ravine. Predominantly with old 3-4 floor apartment buildings and small shop faces.
  • Sin City Ballers - SIN, Colors to represent are Reds. They get their name from the Ryersin Projects, a massive 20 story rectangle housing complex with a courtyard in the middle, the building sits on top of a hill that overlooks Line County, down into the ravine and out onto the beach. It's surrounded by tiny little single family one floor houses.   

Line County - Is part of a massive city similar to Los Angeles but in a state of Urban Decay more along the lines of Detroit. It's industry is all dried up and the state & federal governments are not giving any form of financial support. It means that unemployment is closer to about 50% in the area and public infrastructure is rapidly falling apart. Life is hard on the streets of Line County a once thriving tourist destination that had quaint little shops and beautiful beach front. Now the hotels are mostly abandoned. Only tourists come from up state or inland but even those numbers are dwindling fast.

Once it was a multi-ethnic hub full of life but that was a couple generations ago. Tourist jobs never did pay well but people were happy. Now the people are poor and desperate. The government largely ignores life here.

It's up to you to make your own way and protect what's yours from anyone that tries to take it.

We'll be recruiting for all 3 factions.
Each one will have it's own thread.
Then there will be one thread for a neutral area that runs along the beach.
The neutral beach area has the largest presence of police and is a common destination for locals and tourists alike. It's a lot like the Venice Beach boardwalk area - street buskers, small shops, little parks, and big beach with a pier.

Post your interest, thoughts, conversation, ideas, questions... etc...

Recruiting about 12+ people: 4+ for each faction. That should be enough to let each thread stand as an independent group RP with crossover to other threads.

Confirmed Players

Police
1SAZ
Rachubka
Lord Rupert Everton   |
R9s
Lithium   
DTW
agentlemanwithadream   |
SIN
Kaya
Dashenka
Winterborn
Indyo 
More needed and some neutrals

Yukina

I might join. Is it possible to play a citizen caught up in all of this, who ends up picking a faction mid-way through? If not, I'll pick the police faction.

Moraline

Quote from: Yugishogun on September 05, 2013, 05:43:28 PM
I might join. Is it possible to play a citizen caught up in all of this, who ends up picking a faction mid-way through? If not, I'll pick the police faction.
I would like everyone to start in one of the factions. The idea is to have 3 separate small group RP's going on at the same time that cross over one another in the neutral area or onto each others hoods.

Unless of course I get a lot of interest and can get at least 4 members of each faction. Then I would be open to letting people take on the roles of ordinary citizens (small business owners, etc...)

Note: There doesn't always have to be violence... I posted a rough idea of what I was thinking of for a simple system and it includes options for Rap Battles, Dance Battles, and Gambling.

First system-lite proposal (To be edited/or maybe changed completely)
Quote from: Moraline on September 05, 2013, 05:59:55 PM
Right now what I'm thinking is a simple D20 system with Ranks.

Skills:

Every Skill starts at Rank 0,
Every challenge won earns you a new Rank (That's a best 2 out of 3 rolls).

Dice Roll Modifiers
Rank 1:  +1
Rank 2:  +2
Rank 3:  +3
Rank 4:  +4
Rank 5:  +5
*  Bonuses come every 2 ranks thereafter. (Ex - Rank 7 +6, Rank 9 +7, Rank 11 +8, ...)
**Bonuses stop at a +10 but the Ranks get higher just as a sign or respect.

• Fighting (empty handed):  Starts at base roll
  • Melee Weapon (knives/clubs/chains):  +2 Over Fighting Skill (only +1 for brass knuckles) 
  • Gun Play:  +5 Over either Melee Weapons or Fighting 
  • Parkour/Running:  This is a running skill and can be used the same as fighting only to make a get-away instead. 
  • Dance Battle:  This is for those occasions when people just want to throw down some dance moves and show off their style. Life isn't always about banging on the streets. Sometimes it's alright just to make fun of the other guys. 
  • Rap Battle:  It's all about busting out the verses and spitting out the lines. If you don't have the skill to step up to the mic then get off the stage.  We all got a story to tell and some of us are just better at telling it then others. 

Battles/Combat
Combat would work by both players rolling 3 times and making one post of rolls only.
Whoever wins the best 2 out of 3 wins the combat.
The loser of the combat is the one to post/type out the flow of the fight.
The Loser gets one last chance here to escalate the fight or run away (If there is any way out.)
The winner types out the final winning couple blows/stabs/ or shot.

• The outcome of the fights flow would be determined by the dice wins and losses.
    So if Player A, won - lost - won his rolls.
    Then his opponent Player B (the loser) would post/describe the combat by indicating how he started to lose the fight right away, then made a comeback, and then got beat down.
  • Player B (the loser) could then opt to escalate the fight to a gun battle if it was any other type of fight.
    Or - He could opt to try and run away (If there is any way out.)
    Either will result in another best 2 out of 3 rolls battle. 
  • If the fight is escalated or there is a chase, the winner gets to post how the other guy ran or escalated the fight. If not then go to next step. 
  • Winning Post - Player A would then post how he won the fight with the final couple blows/shot etc...

Optional Gambling Game
(No skill for it, unless you cheat with loaded dice.)

Toma Todo

IC - A single six sided dice (OOC: Random number 1-6 on the dicebot)

Each player puts a dollar in the pot at the beginning and after each win.
Select the first player by dice roll or other means.
Each player rolls once, and the die tells you what to do:

If you Roll a:
1: Put in one dollar
2: Put in two dollars
3: Everybody puts in a dollar
4: Take one dollar
5: Take two dollars
6: Take the pot (you Win!). (Start over - everyone drops in a dollar again)

*Optionally the stakes can be raised*

London

Sounds interesting. I'm giving this one some serious thought. If everything works out I'll join.

Yukina

So if its possible, I think I'll just stay in reserve in case of the overflow option.

AurelieCatena

Lockepick

Also interested! I loves me some political semi-PvP.

Per usual with a group game, my interest will be partially based on how many other compatible gay dudes are in the game.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Moraline

Quote from: London on September 05, 2013, 09:41:04 PM
Sounds interesting. I'm giving this one some serious thought. If everything works out I'll join.
Hey, thanks for stopping by the thread, London. You know you're always welcome in my games.

Quote from: Yugishogun on September 05, 2013, 09:43:01 PM
So if its possible, I think I'll just stay in reserve in case of the overflow option.
I'll make a note Yugi that your looking at jumping in at a later point. Hope you get a chance to join us.

Quote from: AurelieCatena on September 06, 2013, 05:43:03 AM
Interesting. I'll keep an eye on this game.
Did you have any idea of a faction you might like to be a part of. Or any specific overall ideas on the concept? I'm really hoping that the potential players will be part of the overall development process.

Quote from: lockepick on September 06, 2013, 10:58:14 AM
Also interested! I loves me some political semi-PvP.

Per usual with a group game, my interest will be partially based on how many other compatible gay dudes are in the game.
Lockepick, if you know of anyone else that might be interested that fits your description, please invite them to take a look at the game.  I'd love to have more people on board. My hopes is to have a fairly large diverse crowd.

Totally looking for interested parties and hearing feedback/suggestions/ etc...

Dashenka

I'm in. Either the R9's or SIN. Thinking (if it's okay) to play a high member of the gang (if not the highest).
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Moraline

Quote from: Dashenka on September 06, 2013, 02:45:40 PM
I'm in. Either the R9's or SIN. Thinking (if it's okay) to play a high member of the gang (if not the highest).
Typical gangs have what they call "Sets" and "Cliques."

The Set covers a larger area or loose affiliation of Cliques.

Since these are small local gangs, they'd be "Cliques" and each one has a "Shotcaller."  The Shotcaller is the local leader.
Depending on who we have and how many want the position we'll see about who gets to be Shotcaller. So far you are the only one that's asked about it.

Kaya

Color me interested. I like SIN, just for the name.  ;)

I am not looking for the role of the leader, a normal member will do fine for me.

(Anyone who thought the last part was dirty, shame on you.  ;) )

Moraline

Quote from: Kaya on September 06, 2013, 04:40:11 PM
Color me interested. I like SIN, just for the name.  ;)

I am not looking for the role of the leader, a normal member will do fine for me.

(Anyone who thought the last part was dirty, shame on you.  ;) )
Kaya. that makes you our first confirmed player with a chosen faction. Welcome to the crew.

((Just me tinkering with trying to think of tags. Help welcome.))

First post updated on the bottom with confirmed player list.
Quote from: Moraline on September 05, 2013, 03:05:13 PM

Police
Kaya   

Lithium

Wtf Moraline, stop making sweet games you evil temptress! >.<

Sign me up for R9s damn it...

1SAZ

Sounds interesting. I'm thinking about playing a cop. Would be rather fun to try to avoid dying while doing my job.

Moraline

Quote from: Lithium on September 06, 2013, 10:42:37 PM
Wtf Moraline, stop making sweet games you evil temptress! >.<

Sign me up for R9s damn it...
Represent sista! Welcome to the dog pound!

Quote from: 1SAZ on September 07, 2013, 02:16:40 AM
Sounds interesting. I'm thinking about playing a cop. Would be rather fun to try to avoid dying while doing my job.
A word from Sgt Gruff, "It's time to get packin' recruit." He hands you a weathered looking shotty and standard issue sidearm.  "It's a war zone out there. Don't go trying to take down every two bit pusher and low life you see if you want to make it back home at the end of your shift... Oh and welcome to the Line County Police Department."

Outside the vehicles are all black and white's with chipped paint, rust in the wheel wells, bald tires, and the interiors are dark grey. The police radio looks like it's been ripped out with bare wires dangling and the place where the laptop should be bolted in is just an empty metal framed tray. A quick glance over your shoulder will find a caged in back seat, complete with cage windows, ripped seat and what looks like blood stains. Oh yeah, this car is a beauty. Nothing like top of the line equipment for our boys&girls in blue. Well, actually black uniforms with bullet proof vests but you know what I mean.

It's already been said but welcome to the Thin Blue Line.

"Serve & Protect"

*Updated first post with recruits list*
Quote from: Moraline on September 05, 2013, 03:05:13 PM

Police
1SAZ      |
R9s
Lithium   |
SIN
Kaya   

NiceTexasGuy

What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

Dashenka

Love And Submission

I could work with the R9s.

Any rules on character Creation though?

Discord: SouthOfHeaven#3454

Moraline

Quote from: DTW on September 07, 2013, 02:01:31 PM
I could work with the R9s.

Any rules on character Creation though?
I'll probably post up character creation stuff early next week. Still waiting to see if we get some more people interested before I get players to make characters.

Also we are still working on the system to be used (please feel free to join the conversation):
The aim is to create an ultra-simple system that can be explained in only a few paragraphs.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=184269.0

Added Dashenka, NiceTexasGuy, and DTW

Police
1SAZ
NiceTexasGuy   |
R9s
Lithium   
DTW                 |
SIN
Kaya
Dashenka   

Winterborn

Set me down as interested for SIN. I'm thinking a capable and trusted enforcer, not up to being a lieutenant or leader yet, but definitely not an errand boy or footsoldier. I can back that idea down to footsoldier, though, no problem.

Moraline

Quote from: Winterborn on September 08, 2013, 09:08:38 PM
Set me down as interested for SIN. I'm thinking a capable and trusted enforcer, not up to being a lieutenant or leader yet, but definitely not an errand boy or footsoldier. I can back that idea down to footsoldier, though, no problem.
I'll put you on the list for SIN.

We'll most likely only have a gang clique so the positions will just be shotcaller and soldiers. Unless we end up getting much bigger then expected.

Police
1SAZ
NiceTexasGuy   |
R9s
Lithium   
DTW                 |
SIN
Kaya
Dashenka
Winterborn   

Dashenka

With all due respect for a great idea but can we please not get bigger then expected?

Moraline

Quote from: Dashenka on September 09, 2013, 05:35:22 PM
With all due respect for a great idea but can we please not get bigger then expected?
The expectation all along, right from the very first post is 4 people in each faction. Each faction has it's own "main thread". If I can't get 4 for each faction then the entire concept falls apart.

Rachubka

Can I bust up gang members for being too rowdy? I'd like to bust up gang members for being too rowdy.

(Cop interest!)

Lord Rupert Everton

I'd be interested in being a cop. Maybe something undercover or some other relationship to a gang that makes it difficult for me to openly bust heads.