Islam , A variety of discussions from a non extreme perspective.

Started by Formless, September 07, 2013, 12:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Formless

Quote from: ZephyrInk on July 05, 2017, 05:25:48 AM
Not sure if this helps, but it is worth a watch! : )

Praying in Space

That was interesting. ;D

Thank you, ZephyrInk. :-)

Esoterica

I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this comment or not, but I am going to anyway. I am a Sunni Muslim, and I appreciate deeply that you all could discuss my religion with this much respect. Thank you. That's all I have to say at this time.
"The image ALT here""The image ALT here"

Formless

Quote from: Susan Scuro on August 30, 2017, 08:01:09 AM
I am not sure if this is the appropriate place to put this comment or not, but I am going to anyway. I am a Sunni Muslim, and I appreciate deeply that you all could discuss my religion with this much respect. Thank you. That's all I have to say at this time.

You're welcome! And everyone is always welcome to this discussion regardless of what you believe or not believe in. ;D

Skynet

Prayer Duel: Sometime in the early 1900s, a Christian evangelist by the name of John Alexander Dowie and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, the founder of the Ahmadiyya Muslim sect, exchanged an acrimonious set of letters between each other. Eventually Mirza challenged John to a 'prayer duel,' where both would call upon God to expose the other as a false prophet. John declined the invitation, dismissing Mirza as a "silly Mohammedan Messiah." Mirza naturally took this as a sign of victory on his part.

It could be chance that this was nothing more than an egoboosting competition, but Googling an Islamic prayer duel didn't turn up much in the way of primary sources. Mostly personal anecdotes and references to the Mirza-John blowup.

Are there other inferences in Islam of this sort of competition, or was Mirza's way relatively novel?

Trigon

Quote from: Skynet on August 30, 2017, 05:33:09 PM

It could be chance that this was nothing more than an egoboosting competition, but Googling an Islamic prayer duel didn't turn up much in the way of primary sources. Mostly personal anecdotes and references to the Mirza-John blowup.

Are there other inferences in Islam of this sort of competition, or was Mirza's way relatively novel?

I suppose if you count the Crusades, and the rivalry between Richard and Saladin, then sure, this sort of thing was a regular occurance over the past 1500 years. They didn't fight with prayers, of course, but I reckon that it wasn't the first or last time that the Christian and Muslim worlds clashed in this manner...

Oniya

I think Skynet was specifically talking about the prayer duels, as opposed to generic conflicts.  I'm now imagining this to be the precursor of 'Epic Rap Battles'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Formless

Quote from: Skynet on August 30, 2017, 05:33:09 PM
Prayer Duel: Sometime in the early 1900s, a Christian evangelist by the name of John Alexander Dowie and Mirza Ghulam Ahmad, the founder of the Ahmadiyya Muslim sect, exchanged an acrimonious set of letters between each other. Eventually Mirza challenged John to a 'prayer duel,' where both would call upon God to expose the other as a false prophet. John declined the invitation, dismissing Mirza as a "silly Mohammedan Messiah." Mirza naturally took this as a sign of victory on his part.

The duel itself, I couldn't find anything relating to it in arabic searches. Though Mirza claimed to be 'Al-mahdi' not the Prophet. Al-mahdi is supposed to be the man born late into history to unify muslims till Christ descend unto earth.

Which makes this entire prayer duel an amusing thing if it happened. Basically Mirza wanted to pray to god so that John's savior would come own to earth. Not the smartest of challenges. ::)

Quote from: Oniya on August 30, 2017, 09:40:38 PM
I think Skynet was specifically talking about the prayer duels, as opposed to generic conflicts.  I'm now imagining this to be the precursor of 'Epic Rap Battles'.

Now I wish that could happen just to see how it plays out. :P