News:

Main Menu

League of Legends

Started by Aiden, May 22, 2011, 02:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

Quote from: Changingsaint on June 13, 2012, 02:01:55 AM
To be fair, Ashe really isn't aggressive. She's not a cait or graves, who can either poke at you from range or blast you in your face. Were I supporting an Ashe, i'd pick a champ like Janna or Soraka who promotes safe farming.

Mind you, when I support I don't trust anyone to play aggressive :p Since like... 6/10 times, I notice aggressive bottom lanes seem to lose hard. Just too risy in solo queue without better communication.

I don't like to play aggressive in normal games, but when I do, I find Ashe pretty damn effective. Her poke is much harder to avoid than Cait's, it slows, and if she does engage with the enemy carry it's going to require them to either blow their escape abilities to get out of her range or have their support force her away. If she starts an engagement she's going to win you can't just run away unless you've already got a boots advantage on her.

There's a reason she's one of my favorite champs to get in ARAM, after all. Volley can really shut down a lane and catch people off guard for kills, or at least to push them out of lane with consistent harass. I suspect people don't consider her "aggressive" enough because they just don't trust themselves to be effective without some extra gimmick like a jump or a smokebomb or a snare or something.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

SinXAzgard21

I still have yet to play ARAM.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Drenlai

I enjoy LoL quite a bit, though I do not playing the support role. I prefer being up and close as bruiser or tank.

SinXAzgard21

I'd be playing right now if Riot didn't fuck up their new patch and now we are on 3 hour login que times.

Shjade

I played a game this morning and it had other little "fun" bugs in it, too. Darius' ult wasn't always animating, for instance, which had the somewhat amusing result of people just EXPLODING next to him with a thunderclap, but nothing seeming to actually hit them.
◕/◕'s

Drenlai

I rather dislike darius, deals too much damage for being so tanky. They need to balance him or at least make his ult no longer refresh or deal true damage.

Shjade

He's not tanky unless you build him tanky, and if you build him tanky he doesn't really do more damage than your average tanky dps, with the exception of his hot-knife-through-butter ult which only matters if he gets you low enough for it to finish you off, meaning the aforementioned average damage he deals has to whittle you down first. He doesn't do bad damage, but in one-on-one fights he can still flat-out lose to people like Wukong, Riven, Olaf, etc., you know, your other standard tanky dps. Conversely, if you build him for damage by stacking BTs or whatever, he blows up since he has exactly zero inherent defensive abilities: no escape, no mitigation, no anything. He's 100% offense-oriented.
◕/◕'s

Samael

Quote from: Shjade on June 22, 2012, 09:45:37 PM
He's not tanky unless you build him tanky, and if you build him tanky he doesn't really do more damage than your average tanky dps, with the exception of his hot-knife-through-butter ult which only matters if he gets you low enough for it to finish you off, meaning the aforementioned average damage he deals has to whittle you down first. He doesn't do bad damage, but in one-on-one fights he can still flat-out lose to people like Wukong, Riven, Olaf, etc., you know, your other standard tanky dps. Conversely, if you build him for damage by stacking BTs or whatever, he blows up since he has exactly zero inherent defensive abilities: no escape, no mitigation, no anything. He's 100% offense-oriented.
Three things.
1. His enormous bleed damage.
2. His naturally high damage
3. Being True Damage, which means he can pulverize people even without having a lot of straight AD items.

Even the worst players, who lose their lane, never seem to end the match without a positive KDA.
He is that much of a force right now.

I keep seeing him being banned on High Elo streams, too.
There's a reason for that.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

Drenlai

You say Riven, Wu, and Olaf, but you have to consider you're naming 3 of the best top laners. Riven with her stun and hop away. Wu with his instant invisible escape. Still, Riven and Wu, even good players will lose to a mediocre Darius. It's not exactly hard to start with cloth armor and pots with some def runes to just whittle them down in lane. Most fights don't start in lane until level 3 anyways, at that point Darius can out muscle the others or zone them. The only one, from personal experience, that doesn't have much of a problem is Olaf since a smart Olaf will go boots and pots to go in and out with reckless strike to wear them out.

However as Samael said, opinions can differ, but the one getting banned from high elo is Darius and not Olaf.

Shjade

Nothing you just said addresses the concept of "deals too much damage for being so tanky." Whether he deals too much damage in general is debatable; his tankiness isn't (in that he just isn't particularly tanky). Only his ult is true damage and, without many AD items, it maxes out at something like 800 damage after he's hit you 5 times prior. That's a lot of damage, don't get me wrong, but it's damage that requires a good amount of build-up first and, if he hasn't built much damage, the lead-up damage isn't going to be nearly as impressive, meaning you can probably either burn him down first or get to safety in the time it would take him to get to that magic execute point.

Thing is, at low ELO people tend to position terribly, pick fights terribly, build terribly and prioritize terribly; any of these things make you basically a free kill for Darius because you're either 1) out of position such that you can't escape before he can get to the point of bleeding you down to execute, 2) picking a fight you cannot win (and as such deserve to die, really), or 3) not killing Darius when he's killing your team. He's pretty much the definition of a pubstomp champion.

Why is he banned at high ELO, then? Because he works great with team support. In a high ELO game that's disorganized, Darius probably wouldn't come out with a very impressive showing as his opponents are intelligent and practiced enough to avoid falling into the low ELO traps I mentioned above, so he doesn't get the free feeding time that makes him look unstoppable at low ELO. In organized games, however, teams can set things up to enable Darius to put his axe to work regardless of the above, and similarly discouraging results follow.

This is true for several "pubstomp" champs. Katarina, for instance: works great at low ELO where people don't know any better, not so good in generalized high-mid ELO where people are generally better players but don't quite have the teamwork down pat yet, works great again at high ELO where players can build teams around her to make her abilities lethal despite how many counters there are for her. Does it mean she's too strong? Probably not, but she's very good at what she does if you set things up to enable it.

This is contrasted with champions like, say, Blitzcrank, who are pretty much always good for a team as long as they're played well almost regardless of comp.

Quote from: Drenlai on June 22, 2012, 09:59:54 PM
You say Riven, Wu, and Olaf, but you have to consider you're naming 3 of the best top laners.

Consider I also said nothing about his laning. I was talking about fights.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Samael on June 22, 2012, 09:52:44 PM
Three things.
1. His enormous bleed damage.
2. His naturally high damage
3. Being True Damage, which means he can pulverize people even without having a lot of straight AD items.

Even the worst players, who lose their lane, never seem to end the match without a positive KDA.
He is that much of a force right now.

I keep seeing him being banned on High Elo streams, too.
There's a reason for that.

Jax enough said.

SinXAzgard21

So sick of people who think they can jungle and fucking can't... and who the fuck plays support and goes mid.... sighs  Nothing but losses because games are 4v5 and someone doesn't know how to focus....

Shjade

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 23, 2012, 09:22:35 PM
So sick of people who think they can jungle and fucking can't

<---

v.v
◕/◕'s

Brandon

So sick of people who think they can jungle and fucking can't... and who the fuck plays support and goes mid.... sighs  Nothing but losses because games are 4v5 and someone doesn't know how to focus....

The 4v5 thing is the most annoying part. Seems to me that when someone leaves the game there should be an option to call it there and then without loss/win to either side. Obviously that would have to be disabled in ranked just to avoid teams abusing it to save them from a loss
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Shjade on June 23, 2012, 09:38:40 PM
<---

v.v

At least you own up to it... had a fucking WW just roam through jungle and ignored top the entire game and fed the fiddle jungler.... It was ridiculous....  Mind this is only happening when I play support Taric.

Samael

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 22, 2012, 10:35:10 PM
Jax enough said.
Must be because I don't play top lane, but I never found Jax much of a problem.
Of course most of the Supports I play (mainly), have a form of CC, so he generally doesn't fight me much, and in Teamfights there are better targets for him.

Yesterday did 3 ranked matches. Two of them had leavers.
I feel your pain.
If someone leaves, the rest of the team shouldn't take an Elo drop, imho.

Talking about Junglers, I love playing the more beefy ones, i.e. Nautilus, Malph, Maokai, even Nocturne is great fun.
Today I gave Jungle Pantheon a try, ended the match with 8/0/2, but still lost.
Draven on bot fed, and Annie was first time playing the champ mid.

Oh, I also want to say: Draven sucks. Don't play Draven.
No CC, no escape, his ulti is more of a gimmick than actually useful. You're better off going with Varus, who, at level 6, has a guaranteed kill, if your support has a stun (Taric/Sona).
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Samael on June 24, 2012, 02:02:39 AM
Oh, I also want to say: Draven sucks. Don't play Draven.
No CC, no escape, his ulti is more of a gimmick than actually useful. You're better off going with Varus, who, at level 6, has a guaranteed kill, if your support has a stun (Taric/Sona).

The only way draven is any good is if you can throw both axes while you are in a team fight and have been hella fed.  Then Ulti at the end to pick up kills.  Draven is a ranged assassin and I hate people who try to play him as the ranged ad carry.

Ryven

I kind of want to play again, but I don't really want to play with PUGs.  The community is really the only thing that keeps me from playing that game again.

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Ryven on June 24, 2012, 11:22:56 AM
I kind of want to play again, but I don't really want to play with PUGs.  The community is really the only thing that keeps me from playing that game again.

I am so up for teaming up with people from eli.  I don't care about winning and losing just have fun.

Ryven

Quote from: SinXAzgard21 on June 24, 2012, 02:52:25 PM
I am so up for teaming up with people from eli.  I don't care about winning and losing just have fun.

I'm down with that.

Chris Brady

I have a nooblet question, so far I've seen various terms and read what the roles are, but what is Fighter?  I see it often paired with Melee, but no real definition as to what role.  Is it mainly DPS?
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

Fighter is basically the "official" label for what most people refer to as "tanky dps." They're characters that can wade into a fight and deal damage without going squish instantly.

In theory, at least. Some do this better than others.
◕/◕'s

Chris Brady

I guess my three day ban is over. :P  (OK, that was almost a year ago) and they changed the set up a bit.  I'm going to go through the tutorials again.  A second time, because the Summoner Rift battle training owned my ass as Garen.

Man, 0 for 4.  I really do suck, and I tried all of the basic guys they give you...
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Shjade

0 for 4 in the tutorial map?

Hm. Looks like that's a solo-player affair so I can't join in to offer advice/see what's giving you trouble. I could join a vs. AI game with you sometime though.
◕/◕'s

SinXAzgard21

Callax is my summoner name.  I'll be on after while if people wanna play.