Kissing Clark Kent (‘Knowing a Kiss’)

Started by Twisted Crow, November 07, 2020, 09:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twisted Crow

So, there is this thing I see in Superhero stories where the girl kisses the guy superhero twice. Once while he is in a cape, and the other time where he is just Stan the Man.

Here is my question... can you really ‘know’ the hero’s identity from a kiss? Is that really a thing women can do or is that just some romantic flight of fancy? I ask for story writing/musing purposes.

Twisted Crow

Or rather... can you really remember a kiss and distinctively attach it to “Oh, he kisses like Stan does.”

Oniya

I'm going to say 90% fantasy - but the sense of smell is the one most closely tied to memory.  When one is kissing, you're right up on top of someone, and generally have your eyes closed (at least, comic-book females tend to).  You might have a better chance of catching a whiff of someone's aftershave or laundry detergent, or other distinctive smells.

If I had to 'science' that trope, that would be my angle.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tsenta

Quote from: Oniya on November 07, 2020, 09:31:18 PM
I'm going to say 90% fantasy - but the sense of smell is the one most closely tied to memory.  When one is kissing, you're right up on top of someone, and generally have your eyes closed (at least, comic-book females tend to).  You might have a better chance of catching a whiff of someone's aftershave or laundry detergent, or other distinctive smells.

If I had to 'science' that trope, that would be my angle.
To add onto it, there can be other mannerisms/tells as well. Sound of a voice, body language, etc.   On top of that, we can be a VERY intuitive species.   We secrete pheromones, and sometimes those pheromones of others make us REACT physically in a way.   Between overall familiarity (scent, build, looks, voice, etc) and small key indicators (hunches, reaction to pheromones, etc) it's very plausible it could happen. 

When we're infatuated with someone, we tend to latch on to small key things others would miss entirely.  We find them endearing, say for example one's partner's voice pitches when they're excited, or how they may have a small dot or two of another color in their iris.

For the most part, in comics though, it's a trope to either move the story along, add drama, or hint at the good old "women's intuition."   So while it's very plausible, it's a toss-up in reality.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

FyreFoxx

Is it a thing? I think so, yes. Kisses, touches, familiarity. It's a very real thing, however unlikely or improbable.

HOWEVER! And here's the tricky part.

Can she detect the difference between Hero and Stan? In just two kisses? Probably not. It's a fantasy trope that is overused to unrealistic ideals. I agree with the whole "oh, he kisses like X" thing, if she really paid attention, but knowing for certain? No, probably not. That's something that comes with *time.* And even then, it's not 100% accurate.

I remember watching a game show as a kid, and one of the mini games had a woman blindfolded and then a bunch of men standing behind her with long gloves on, sticking their hands through a hole in a wall. She'd have to reach out and feel for the touch of her husband. No sight, no telltale mark of "hey, this arm is hairy" thing, since gloves but they were thin enough to get a sense for lighter touches. It's just the general feel of his hand and the way he'd touch her arm in return. It was a silly mini game and sure, may not be something you'd see in this day and age, but it does lend some credence to the whole touch-memory idea.
 Current Status: CLOSED
 Den of Iniquity (O/O) Updated Aug 19, 2023
 What does the Foxx say? (A/A) Updated Oct 1, 2023
 Scrolls and Shinies (Story Cafe) Inactive

putrid

I'd be able to identify anyone I've ever kissed by how they used their lips alone.
I think it's perfectly plausible.
It seemed like a good idea at the time.