D20 Modern: Urban Arcana

Started by Vice, August 05, 2005, 04:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vice

I bought both d20 Modern and Urban Arcana quite some time ago, and have never really put them to good use...so what I'd like to do now is put them to naughty use. I'm thinking of starting the game at level 3, to allow for some of the ECL races (I know how much people love drow...), and it would also give everyone a good base to start on. For those of you unfamiliar with the setting, it's a low-magic modern-day campaign world, similar to our's except for the existence of various "fantasy" creatures and magic (including some magic items) deposited here by something called "the shadow". It's more or less similar to the tide of magic in Shadowrun that was responsible for turning people into elves, trolls, etc., except that rather than changing what is already here, it added more stuff. Human beings, for the most part, are unaware of the existence of these creatures, because psychologically their minds refuse to see them as anything other than mildly strange human beings (orcs are mistaken for large, unwashd humans, for example). Some humans are able to see these creatures for what they really are. I'm looking for the players to be either humans who are aware of the new arrivals, or new arrivals themselves, living in a small neighborhood (kind of like a Little Italy for elves, dwarves, etc.) together. Is anyone interested in this type of game?

Hunter

Jefepato

Count me in.  I'm thinking tiefling.

Vice

So far so good. Does everyone have access to the rules, or will you guys be needing some help with the rules and character building?

nick012000

I might be interested, if I have the time.

Tahiri Anashia

Vice

Just to help people get an idea of their options, here is a list of possible races, given the char gen parameters (3rd level). Stats will be point-buy with 32 points, using the rules in the d20 Modern Rulebook. Again, if you need help with this part, I can give you those rules, but I'm going to wait until it actually looks like we've got a game going. :)

Non-ECL Races:
Human
Dwarf
Elf
Gnome
Goblin
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Halfing
Orc
Snakeblooded Human

ECL Races available in this campaign:
Aasimar (+1)
Bugbear (+2)
Dragonblooded Human(+1)
Drow (+2)
Gnoll (+2)
Half-Ogre (+1)
Tiefling (+1)

Jefepato

I don't need help (although I'll need to seriously review the Wealth system in d20 Modern), fortunately.  I'm busy tonight, but tomorrow or Sunday I should be able to get my character done.

Vice

I might as well post the ability score costs here, in case anyone wants to try cutting their teeth on char gen...I noticed that the web generator posted acted a bit funny when I tried to use point buy, so it's best to know what you're doing before you go there, if you decide to use it.

Score:   Cost:

8          0
9          1
10        2
11        3
12        4
13        5
14        6
15        8
16        10
17        13
18        16

And you have 32 points to spend. So you could buy the following scores: 18, 16, 10, 10, 9, 9. I wouldn't recommend it (seems a little unbalanced), but you could do that. :)

Another option for character building is PC Gen, which you can download here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcgen/

Hunter

What's the plan when it comes to wealth?  Determine at 1st and add for each level or what?

Vice

Quote from: Hunter on August 05, 2005, 05:29:55 PM
What's the plan when it comes to wealth?  Determine at 1st and add for each level or what?

Asssume that the 2d4 roll at 1st level came up as a 6, add in your occupation, then do your levelling with the Profession checks. Does that sound fair?

Vice

Setting aside mechanics for a moment, what sort of themes are people interested in? Do we want something more like a modern day adventure, but with elves? Or focusing on dealing with fantasy/magical problems in the modern world? Occasional forays into sexy stuff, or more constant nookie? Tentacle monsters, or no tentacle monsters?

Jefepato

I'd say fantasy/magical problems in the modern world, with the occasional more-modernish adventure (which can be dealt with in creative ways by the misapplication of magic).  We're on Elliquiy, so a fair amount of sex is inevitable, but it doesn't need to be the focus of every (or even many) adventure (if players feel there's not enough sex, that just means it's charm person time).  And although I've played in unorthodox games before, let's leave the krakens out of this.  Tentacle sex doesn't strike me as very D&D.

Jefepato

Anyway, I've got most of my stats done (tiefling Dedicated 2, headed toward Acolyte), I just need equipment and backstory.

Unfortunately, someone decided to make medical kits a DC 15 purchase.  Oh well.

ZK

Please oh please fill more information. Please send more about it to my email. ( zulokitty@gmail.com ) I want to know more. :D
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

nick012000

Is d20 Future allowed? There's some decent Modern (and near-future) stuff in there.

Vice

Quote from: nick012000 on August 07, 2005, 05:15:13 AM
Is d20 Future allowed? There's some decent Modern (and near-future) stuff in there.

No, this is an Urban Arcana game, using that campaign book. Nothing against d20 future, but I find that campaigns tend to lose focus once you tack on too many expansions and character options.

Lamentation

I'm Definately interested.  I'l se what I can do about a character real soon now

Vice

Err...what's the best way to get a hold of a moderator? I was hoping to get a board opened up for this game soon.

Vice

Ok, just to keep things from getting stale...if you have a character currently, feel free to PM me so we can discuss things.

The game will be starting in a residential neighborhood called Yancey Square, located in the fictional metropolis of New Berkshire on the northeast coast of the United States. In the past, Yancey has always been a district for immigrants, and today it remains such; in addition to the many "shadowkind" creatures living there are a number of recent arrivals from countries around the world. Small eateries featuring cuisine from exotic and not-so-exotic locales can be found all over the place, and people often come to Yancey in search of food or textiles with a bit of something extra. At the players option, you are all tenants in an apartment building owned by an eccentric gnome who goes by the name "Isabelle Greenberg". She has a personal assistant who poses as her "mother" in front of 'mundanes' (most humans, if you remember, see gnomes and halflings as children); a half-elf named Elizabeth. Other notable neighbors are a Drow on the top floor who works a 9-to-5 office job at Markova Enterprises in midtown, a mundane (that is, she thinks you're some type of human) human named Thomas who runs an accupuncture office out of his apartment, and his pothead girlfriend who is quite capable of seeing what you really are, but of course knows that no one will believe her.

If the board isn't ready by tomorrow, I'll post more about the surrounding areas.

Hunter

Vice

Nothing to be sorry about. I just wanted to make sure I didn't leave things idle so long that you guys lost interest. Plus, it's fun to post more info about the campaign. Gets me in the mood for GM-ing.  ;D

Vice

Okay, the game is now up, currently under Light & Weird. If anyone thinks BDSM is likely in the game (i.e. you have a character interested in it) let me know so we can have it moved. In the meantime, it's under Light & Weird.