Heroic Fantasy Desert Island Game (D&D 3.5) – (Need Male Characters)

Started by LisztesFerenc, May 29, 2011, 09:21:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LisztesFerenc

I am planning a heroic fantasy game set on a remote island, known as Ender’s Island. Both the water and land is teeming with dangers wild life, natural hazards are far from infrequent and the harsh environment leaves little passion for respite, even amongst the humanoid factions of the island.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Factions:

The Drow Caves: The caves on the north western beaches of the island have been completely taken over by the dark elves. They number around 300, with a third as many slaves, a secondary community of mercenaries and a notable array of tamed animals and vermin, as well as possessing the ability to use spells to create undead and call upon the services of fiends. These factors combine to make the Drow a serious threat to the other humanoids of the island, their power kept in check only by the Hill Fort, without whom it is unlikely the other factions of the island could resist being absorbed into the dark elves’ slave population.

The Cliff Nest: Atop the cliffs that overlooks the uninhabited stretch of sand between the Drow Caves and the Hill Fort is a modestly sized twig nest of small, birdlike humanoids. The Bird Folk are a small faction numbering around 70, but their location and gift of flight leaves them in a valuable position as they are able to sell their services as scout to either of the nearby settlements. For payment they typically request items they themselves cannot construct. Despite their lack of military power, this settlement is perhaps the most secure, being removed from the fighting on the ground below, and safe from ever suffering too many deaths at the hands of a predator, since none of the larger ones can fly.

The Hill Fort: A military group numbering around half a thousand and consisting primarily of humans, this fractioned has constructed a sophisticated fortified camp in the south eastern parts of the island on the sparse grassland above the beach. As a military society the warriors of the Hill Fort work to keep the Drow at bay, with the ultimate goal of subduing them the colony. They also keep the peace between the Forest Camp and Pirates. In the absence of a large military campaign in recent decades, the people have expanded to the surroundings to make farms to feed the population and relieve the cramped living spaces that prevail within the fort. Never-the-less, the Hill Fort is always wary of an attack from the dark elf, and always has officers standing by to implement the required protocols.

Forest Camp: A loose structure of nomadic camps around a glade that serves as their equivalent of a parliament, the woodlands above the Hill Fort are home to a less organized group of elves and halflings, who supplement their hunting with gathering and farming on the coastal areas where the trees thin out. Protected from the dark elves by the Hill Fort, their primary concern are the dwarven pirates, and they have been known to launch pre-emptive strikes against ships that may intend to raid them. They number at around 250, but it can take several days for all of them to be gathered at their glade.

Pirate Island: Based on a small secondary island, connected to the larger one by a thin strip of sand submerged for 23 hours a day, this tribe of dwarves and gnomes attempts to use their technological expertise to overcome their lack of land. Despite preferring to work with metal, they have adapted well to organic building materials, and do moderately well harvesting the surrounding waters for food. Being the only faction capable making ships they exploit this advantage to raid the isolated farms of the Forest Camp, and anything else they can reach whilst staying in the shallow waters, avoiding what could be hidden in the deep. Despite their tendency to steal, they make sure they keep this act in moderation, and their crafting expertise ensures relations of at least strained neutrality with the other settlements on the eastern side of the island.

The Abandoned Galleon: Situated in the middle of the north side beach, this warship once brought a group of humans to this island, the survivors of who can now mostly be found in the Hill Fort. Presently, the overturned ship, damaged beyond repair, is home to a mass of goblins and kobolds that have filled the surrounding land with their foul traps. Fearing the might of the other factions without the advantage of home terrain, the goblinoids keep to themselves, but anyone travelling through their lands should be weary of their greed and cowardly sadism.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  Wildlife:
  As all of the humanoid factions are located on the fringe of the island, away from the untamed centre, the wildlife they need to deal with, whilst fearsome, could be but the weaker species pushed out of the prized hunting ground further in. Whilst diverse, the island’s bestiary is not quite as archaic as legends of abandoned islands may suggest. The frequency with which each creature is encountered can roughly be recorded into the following categories:

Common: Animals, Fey, Monstrous Humanoids, Magic Beasts, Plants and Vermin.
  Uncommon: Aberrations, Elementals, Giants and Oozes.
  Rare: Constructs, Dragons, Outsiders and Undead (beyond skeletons and zombies animated by mages)
  Environment:
  The island is sub tropic, with hot summers and mild winters, but the temperature is rarely high enough to present a serious risk. Storms on the other hand have been known to claim lives, especially for those unfortunate enough to be caught in the water, but they are not very frequent. Far more dangerous are the certain locations hiding environmental hazards, from mundane but dangerous quicksand which threatens to trap you, embracing you until you die of thirst, to the more magical bog fires, which could lead you astray, or simply burn you.
  The edge of the island is mainly sand and rock, with some sparse grassland. On the eastern side there is a forest, but apart from that it is all pretty bare. Braving the dangers of the untamed land deeper into the island reveals a far wider range of environments, from thick forests to marshes and valleys, both desert and lush. At the centre is a tall cliff which, according to some, is capped in ice. As dangerous as these lands are, they hold exotic materials and resources, a valuable commodity to such isolated settlements.
  Local Mythology (And thanks to my friend who helped my write this):

Enders’ Island is bulwarked from all shipping traffic by the vast expanse of ocean that surrounds it, meaning that in most civilised places of the known world, the island is not mapped, though certain pirate and merchant vessels have scrawled “Hear Be Monsters” on the area that would otherwise bear the island’s location. Part of the reason for the island’s elusiveness and lack of shipping traffic are the two siblings who haunt the shallow waters that ring the island in a great and brilliant reef. The reef is home to two rival Carcharocles Megalodon, a male and a slightly bigger female, who inhabit the southern and northern waters of the island respectively. The presence of the two colossal, prehistoric monsters – known to the Drow as the “Nightmare,” and to the Human tribes as “Fear” and “Panic” (it’s unclear which name refers to which sex; between tribes, and sometimes within, the names are used interchangeably) – has negated all efforts for the island’s citizens to try and make a break for one of the continents, or has stopped any ships getting through with supplies or fresh colonists. Despite the inherent dangers of establishing a civilisation near the ocean, neither the Drow nor the Humans have dared to venture too far into the wild and unmapped centre of the island, for not knowing just what menaces lie within. If creatures as hellacious and horrific as the Megalodon can scour the Ocean beyond, it can’t help but be wondered just what lurks in the darker places of the island. Unconfirmed reports from those who have dared to venture inland speak of the existence of a juvenile, “sandy brown” dragon, who makes the centre of the island it’s domain. Naturally, these reports are not taken seriously – the description of size and colour often varies so greatly that authorities put the tales down to folklore and/or hysteria.
  Gaming System
  I planned this to be a game using D&D 3.5 rules. Knowledge of the system is a bonus, but not a must; I don’t mind helping you with your character. I allow practically any source, from official to third party to homebrew, just ask. I want to make this game E6. In case you haven’t heard of this system, you stop advancing at level 6 and instead gain a feat for every 5,000 XP (the characters would start off already being at level 6). I’m willing to work with you on some houserules if your character concept isn’t supported that much in E6. Edit: Here is a PDF of the exact E6 rules: http://esix.pbworks.com/f/E6v041.pdf
  As for the game style, each character would start alone, (unless their backgrounds placed them together) and would set about trying to achieve their own goals. The island would be small enough that they could run into other players from time to time, but they would be under no obligation to work together.

So, yeah, that’s the outline of the game I have planned. I won’t be able to start it for about a month, but I just thought I would post it here to see what people think of the game. Any questions, comments or requests can be posted here or PM-ed to me.

RubySlippers

Sounds like fun I was thinking of being a cleric not flashy I know but is the best self-contained class in the game, armor and weapons and spells and turning undead or commanding them in one package.

LisztesFerenc

Clerics are welcome. Some of the islanders worship the Megalodons, but the standard deities from the Players Handbook are also present, and I will most likely allow homebrew and other sources. Any ideas on whether your character arrived recently or is already involved with one or more of the factions?

RubySlippers

She will be a local cleric born on the island, human so likely with the Fort. Not sure of the deity though at this time it depends on her alignment. And dice rolls to worship Kord she needs to be warrior-esque in fitness I would think while a average build another deity might be good.

The big plus side are spell using clerics are valued assets most likely so she should be treated well overall regardless of the community.

TheHangedOne

A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

LisztesFerenc

Oooh, divine characters appear to be popular.

Quote from: RubySlippers on May 31, 2011, 08:32:35 AM
She will be a local cleric born on the island, human so likely with the Fort. Not sure of the deity though at this time it depends on her alignment. And dice rolls to worship Kord she needs to be warrior-esque in fitness I would think while a average build another deity might be good.

The big plus side are spell using clerics are valued assets most likely so she should be treated well overall regardless of the community.

Are you attached to rolling stats? If not, you can use 32 point buy.

Quote from: TheHangedMan on May 31, 2011, 08:42:12 AM
Hmmm. Any chance of playing a Favored Soul of Ilmater?

The class is fine. The setting isn't quite Forgotten Realms, but I don't see why Ilmater couldn't exist in it. Maybe via a planar traveller many years ago.

Also: update – added link to E6 pdf file.

TheHangedOne

I could always pick a deity with a similar portfolio/flavor.  :-)
Check out my poet tree!

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TheHangedMan on May 31, 2011, 02:50:40 PM
I could always pick a deity with a similar portfolio/flavor.  :-)

It’s really up to you. I assume my games take place in planscape even if only one world is used, so somewhere out there there is the forgotten realms setting, but if you'd rather choose a different diety that also works. Also, same as before, would your character be new to the island, or have they been there a while and are already involved with one or more factions?

TheHangedOne

I'm leaning towards native, maybe one of the bird folk.  Not sure quite yet, though.
Check out my poet tree!

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TheHangedMan on May 31, 2011, 03:14:03 PM
I'm leaning towards native, maybe one of the bird folk.  Not sure quite yet, though.

Okay, they would be treated as raptorians, with some possible tweaks.

Aether

What a fascinating concept!

I am reading the E6 rules to see if I can truly get up to speed on this.

Aether

I am thinking upon a dwarf privateer of some sort, possibly with a small schooner?  But that is obviously up to you, LF.

I am reading the E6 material and am wondering how you are going to allow feats to be chosen, gestalt style or limited to your actual class?

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Aether on June 01, 2011, 05:28:47 PM
I am thinking upon a dwarf privateer of some sort, possibly with a small schooner?  But that is obviously up to you, LF.

I don't think you'd start the game with your own schooner, but you could be a crew member of rank on one with the goal of eventually becoming captain. You’d be from the Pirate Island then?

Quote from: Aether on June 01, 2011, 05:28:47 PMI am reading the E6 material and am wondering how you are going to allow feats to be chosen, gestalt style or limited to your actual class?

Gestalt approach.

Aether

Aye, pirate island.  Will I be able to rp a non cut throat type that might not get killed on sight if he were on the mainland?  I just really like the idea of character that can put together some neat items or just build in general really.  I may need your help putting this together although I know 3.5 pretty well, just not sure how to best line it up with E6.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Aether on June 01, 2011, 06:20:09 PM
Aye, pirate island.  Will I be able to rp a non cut throat type that might not get killed on sight if he were on the mainland?

Yes. The Drow will (well enslave, not kill), but apart from that the Forest Camp is only group you would have any real trouble with, and the chances of them killing you are low.

Quote from: Aether on June 01, 2011, 06:20:09 PMI just really like the idea of character that can put together some neat items or just build in general really.  I may need your help putting this together although I know 3.5 pretty well, just not sure how to best line it up with E6.

Do you have access to the artificer class?

Aether

Looking at a list of classes now, was leaning towards something primarily combat orientated and good on a ship, but will see what artificer has to offer  ^.^  Is a 3 / 3 character in E6 stupid?  Or a 4 / 2, etc...

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Aether on June 01, 2011, 06:42:02 PM
Looking at a list of classes now, was leaning towards something primarily combat orientated and good on a ship, but will see what artificer has to offer  ^.^  Is a 3 / 3 character in E6 stupid?  Or a 4 / 2, etc...

Depends on how well the classes synergies. Artificer tends to be only good with itself. Also, it’s more about magical crafting than mundane crafting, although some infusions can be used to boost craft checks.

Aether

Okay, I think i would like to go as a gnomish ranger from the pirate island.  This character would fashion his own throwing axes and will also build his own gnomish double hook hammer.  Darkwood hilt, mithral touchy parts.  He will work towards alchemy as a profession to make his weapons magical.  So yes, he will be a dual weapons ranger, but since E6 is so versatile, he will also become a moderate spell caster and ranged wildcard.

It looks like i need a feat progression to get to were I need to go, Greater Two weapon fighting, evasion, etc...

What ya think?

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: Aether on June 02, 2011, 08:37:26 AM
Okay, I think i would like to go as a gnomish ranger from the pirate island.  This character would fashion his own throwing axes and will also build his own gnomish double hook hammer.  Darkwood hilt, mithral touchy parts.  He will work towards alchemy as a profession to make his weapons magical.  So yes, he will be a dual weapons ranger, but since E6 is so versatile, he will also become a moderate spell caster and ranged wildcard.

It looks like i need a feat progression to get to were I need to go, Greater Two weapon fighting, evasion, etc...

What ya think?

Sounds good. Gotta love them crazy Gnomes and their alchemy. By the way, a houserule of mine is that Ranger's do not need to halve their level to determine the qualities of their animal companion.

RubySlippers

I'm going with a druid at E6 and a standard race should be good. Not sure of race though but she will ne neutral in the middle somewhere and be rather eccentric.

I figure she makes her living gathering rare herbs, some mining in areas no human could get to since she can fly and healing plus lilkely would trade with anyone on a case by case basis. Drow and goblins/kobalds only certain indivduals on her terms likely the deal is she leave herbs here, you leave a some things she can use or trade and its all good. And likely will have a skill at making medicines if I take Craft (medicines) could it produce useful items she could trade not potions more use this and in a day you can regain 1d3 hit points if you rest.

RubySlippers

My stat rolls -

17:04:07 At 2011-06-02 17:04:07, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 16
27063 Noone or Anyone 2011-06-02 17:03:56 At 2011-06-02 17:03:56, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 15
27062 Noone or Anyone 2011-06-02 17:03:31 At 2011-06-02 17:03:31, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 17
25321 Noone or Anyone 2011-04-30 19:44:41 At 2011-04-30 19:44:41, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 12
25320 Noone or Anyone 2011-04-30 19:44:23 At 2011-04-30 19:44:23, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 10
25319 Noone or Anyone 2011-04-30 19:44:07 At 2011-04-30 19:44:07, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 14

I will be a Level 6 druid but race is undecided but she is going to be neutral and get her powers from the general force of nature itself over a deity.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 02, 2011, 03:50:19 PM
I'm going with a druid at E6 and a standard race should be good. Not sure of race though but she will ne neutral in the middle somewhere and be rather eccentric.

So not tied to any particualr faction? That works too.

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 02, 2011, 03:50:19 PMI figure she makes her living gathering rare herbs, some mining in areas no human could get to since she can fly and healing plus lilkely would trade with anyone on a case by case basis. Drow and goblins/kobalds only certain indivduals on her terms likely the deal is she leave herbs here, you leave a some things she can use or trade and its all good. And likely will have a skill at making medicines if I take Craft (medicines) could it produce useful items she could trade not potions more use this and in a day you can regain 1d3 hit points if you rest.

Craft (alchemy) makes the most sense. Also goodberry is a first level druid spell. 

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 02, 2011, 05:15:05 PM
My stat rolls -

17:04:07 At 2011-06-02 17:04:07, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 16
27063 Noone or Anyone 2011-06-02 17:03:56 At 2011-06-02 17:03:56, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 15
27062 Noone or Anyone 2011-06-02 17:03:31 At 2011-06-02 17:03:31, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 17
25321 Noone or Anyone 2011-04-30 19:44:41 At 2011-04-30 19:44:41, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 12
25320 Noone or Anyone 2011-04-30 19:44:23 At 2011-04-30 19:44:23, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 10
25319 Noone or Anyone 2011-04-30 19:44:07 At 2011-04-30 19:44:07, DianeK (uid: 670) rolls: 4d6k3 Result: 14

I will be a Level 6 druid but race is undecided but she is going to be neutral and get her powers from the general force of nature itself over a deity.

Nice stats, this druid is going to be quite good.

TheHangedOne

I'll be doing a 32 point buy for my character, who I am deciding, will probably not be a Favored Soul at all. Leaning more towards a Sorceror/Dragon Disciple now. Is that alright?

Edit: Addendum: On second thought, Human Warlock. Sorry, I'm typically quite flighty when it comes to character creation. I wouldn't be surprised if I changed my mind again.
Check out my poet tree!

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TheHangedMan on June 02, 2011, 06:56:15 PM
I'll be doing a 32 point buy for my character, who I am deciding, will probably not be a Favored Soul at all. Leaning more towards a Sorceror/Dragon Disciple now. Is that alright?

Edit: Addendum: On second thought, Human Warlock. Sorry, I'm typically quite flighty when it comes to character creation. I wouldn't be surprised if I changed my mind again.

Warlocks wouldn't be common (well, maybe amougst the drow), but PCs are often about being the exception, so yeah, that works. So you won’t be with the bird folk then after all.

TheHangedOne

Correct. I'll be with the humans...the way I figure it, my character's primary motivation for leaving the safety of the fort is basically him being run out for what he can do. Though I may ditch that idea. I'll probably have a dozen more before I pick one.

By the way, a question for you, Lisztes. May I please have the option of taking a feat OR gaining a new invocation for my warlock? Or, if I'd accumulate them too quickly, maybe I can only take 1 for every 3 feats I earn? Something to that effect?
Check out my poet tree!