Looking to Put Together a Mature, System Based, Game Group.

Started by HarleyGirl, September 15, 2015, 01:32:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

So does anyone have any games they want / plan to run at the moment?

I'm intending to do a 3rd ed Exalted game, once the backer PDFs go out. Not quite sure when that will be, other than Soon (TM)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Kolbrandr

As I say, I'm already running a bunch of stuff. About the only thing that would give me the pull to add to that pile would be getting an OWoD elder vampire game going.

HarleyGirl

Quote from: Kolbrandr on September 18, 2015, 01:48:04 AM
With that said as far as the offered game premise in your post, I would sell a relative of your choosing and or kill and or do both to actually play CtD instead of run it for a change! Even if my preference as a player is not to play starting characters.

Lol Ok so that is one in for Changeling.  ;) If I can get enough players lined up that I can trust to stick with it I will run the game.

Did I understand you correctly that you are in favor of trying out something like the League idea?

I've yet to play Exalted but might be willing to give it a go depending on the circumstances.

Firefly makes my heart go pitter pat.

Thanks for the feedback guys and gals!  :-*

Kolbrandr

I'd be willing to at least give the idea a try and see if it results in anything at all better.

I know the one other person that would play a changeling game and seems fairly stick to it as a player, if it goes anywhere.

I suppose as far as things I'd like to play otherwise... a jla/avengers scaleish Mutants and Masterminds game, Fading Suns, Adventure! Aberrant, Vampire the Masquerade (dark ages or otherwise), Lords of Gossamer and Shadow, Amber, the Song of Ice and Fire rpg, Unknown Armies, Demigod or Higher Scion, and 7th Sea.

I massively burned out on Exalted, and I'm kinda sour on playing 3.5 or Pathfinder on ell, as opposed to running.

In general as far as playing preferences, I'm just not super into playing starting characters online, there's only so far you can go with depth of backstory messing around, I like feeling more capable, and, if we're being real, play by post is slow, and it generally basically means not really ever experiencing a big chunk of things a character might be able to do (like ever, /ever/ having a mastered swordsman school in 7th sea, as an off the top of my head thing. Or even being a journeyman in it)

wander

I'm down for A Song of Ice and Fire...

BUT...

It will have to be that the party is under the same House. Having each player control a House brings the worst out in people. It's better for the NPCs to be antagonists, not each other.

EDIT:

Is anyone else down for Firefly too? Because I have so much material for it, wouldn't mind trying some of it out.

ChaoticSky

I'm up for Changeling too.

Though i must say i strongly disagree with the league idea. Elitism/clannish behaviour are at best toxic and at worse, risk causing damage to the wider Elli community. We are all tired of games dropping/dying/people flaking out, but trying to create a elitist sub-group that will only play with other people in the sub group A) discourages games to begin with B) further divides our pool of potential players.

The notion of someone going 'you cant join my game because your not on The List', 'I dont want to play with bob because hes not on The List' or 'Game for List players only' is.... ridiculous. Toxic. And frankly rather arrogant. I would want no part of such a thing on principle.

AndyZ

Speaking as Ramona's Eight Evil Ex, I can...oh, wait, different league, right?

Yeah, I don't see much reason for having one either.

A lot of people have lots of diversity in games.  There are some that I'll totally jump onto and some that I won't, but it's fun to have a lot of different people and different options for who to play with.

That said, if there's Changeling, I'll certainly consider it, and I'll also send a couple people your way.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Muse

I pretty much feel the exact same way Sky and Andy do about a leage idea. 

I'd also absolutely adore a chance to play changeling 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

wander

Quote from: ChaoticSky on September 18, 2015, 07:18:58 PM

Though i must say i strongly disagree with the league idea. Elitism/clannish behaviour are at best toxic and at worse, risk causing damage to the wider Elli community. We are all tired of games dropping/dying/people flaking out, but trying to create a elitist sub-group that will only play with other people in the sub group A) discourages games to begin with B) further divides our pool of potential players.

The notion of someone going 'you cant join my game because your not on The List', 'I dont want to play with bob because hes not on The List' or 'Game for List players only' is.... ridiculous. Toxic. And frankly rather arrogant. I would want no part of such a thing on principle.

Yeah... +1.

Also, if Changeling is happening, any chance of playing the nwod version (Changeling:the Lost) if anyone's interested? I don't own Dreaming and flicked through character generation once, was not really a fan of it. I found the magic confusing and underpowered compared to the Contracts in Changeling: the Lost.

Muse

Changelign the Lost is a completely difeernt animal, as well it should be for the New World. 

(Changelings are also very powerful if they're willing to invest the personal nessecary to do something powerful.  :P )
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

wander

Oh, I know that already, which is why I thought it best to ask if there was any interest going for that too.

I'm pondering on the thought of a small Firefly game that I could run on a casual basis, if more people are interested. I don't really have a fire of inspiration to make it into a full request thread, though I think if I get the interest, I'll put the game together.

I'm also surprised at the lack of interest for Dungeon World, I saw it mentioned by other's in past posts, though I find it one of the most fun games out there, yet seems to have such a small fanbase for a well known title here...

HarleyGirl

Quote from: ChaoticSky on September 18, 2015, 07:18:58 PM

So just so we understand one another.

It is ok to try to put a game together where the people agree to not be flakes.
It is not ok to make a list of those people so that when they or others are looking for people who are not flakes to game with they  know who to contact.
All this within a forum that had you fill out a questionnaire and go through a several day approval process where they decided whether or not you were up to snuff to join...which could be considered elitist.

Is that about right?

What discourages games is people not wanting to put work into something that either the players or the GM flake out on after 2 posts. Membership in the League would be open to anyone so I don't see how it is elitist. You are just pledging not to be a flake and reaffirming many of the tenants that Elliquiy itself asks you to uphold. It would give piece of mind to GM's and Players alike.

Changeling would have to be the Dreaming as I don't know Lost well enough to run it and I have very limited time to myself these days with a one year old daughter on the loose. (Hence why I want to avoid wasting time on creating characters and plots for games that fizzle.)

Batman4560

I'm happy to play anything but I'm currently running a large group of games, IRL and here. So if possible I'd like to simply play at the moment. I like to learn new systems so whatever everyone else wants to write is cool with me.

HairyHeretic

I'd like to play Changeling the Dreaming, but wouldn't have much interest in Changeling the Lost.

With regard to people dropping out, it's going to happen. Stress rises, muse departs. School or work hours suddenly pile up and there aren't enough hours to do everything you need to, as well as the things you'd like to do. There can be very good reasons for someone dropping a game. In and off itself, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

If you're having issues with the direction of the game, if you feel your character isn't working with the game, or the game with the character, then talk about it. Bring it up with the GM and see what can be done. That's better than just silently dropping out, so the GM is left not knowing who is busy, who is still around and waiting for others to post and who is really gone.

Communication is key, particularly in an online medium.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Senti

Slips in quietly ...if there is still room, I have had some RL issues but am back on track. I love WoD old and new and have also run and played a number of games. So am very interested.

I have always been interested in running a vampire game here that I ran Table top. London 1888.

wander

Well good luck with this gang, I'm probably going to have to split from this idea, I'm beginning to dislike the tone the thread is dipping into. If you like any of the games I've listed and would like to play with me however, you can reach me in PM about that. Take care all.

Blinkin

Color me interested.

People who know me will tell you that I tend to stick with a game to the bitter end, or until the GM gives up.

I have GMed in the distant past, 2nd ed AD&D, GURPS and... anyone tell me if they remember this one.. Torg: The Possibilities War?

But, my GMing days are far, far, far behind me and while I am happy to work with GM's to create a fun and engaging game, I'll never put the hat on again.

I'll also play just about anything if someone will tell me the rules and work with me on character creation. Relatively few are free these ays, much less on the net, so my exposure to newer systems is limited... but I will play and play consistantly.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

HairyHeretic

I remember Torg. I think I still have a couple of the novels hiding on my bookshelves somewhere. It was .. the second I think .. RPG I bought, after Shadowrun.

Did you know it's being revamped, and should be released next year?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/141712-Torg-Eternity-Announced-for-2016

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Blinkin

Ummm this league idea... isn't the "oath of the Drake" suppose to of done the same thing... and I can't tell you how many of those people have consistently vanished from games, so the whole concept has pretty much amounted to nothing except for people saying "I won't play with anyone who hasn't taken the oath." A "League" would have the same problems in the end.

On the whole elitist thing. I actually went through an application process to write with this group and about half way through, I simply said fuck it. If it takes all of this to write with a group who wasn't all that good to begin with, I'll just pass. I searched up their discussion thread while 5 or 6 people were trying for 2 spots and they were cracking jokes about the applicants and how great the group was and too good for this place... If I had to actually go through the same process to get a job,they couldn't pay me enough...

You wouldn't have to go through all of that to get a security rating in the US Government. So... if all this is amounting to is some people being able to say, "I'm in "The League" and because you're not... can't write with you..." I'll pass. No offense to anyone, but if I have to prove that I'm good enough... you're not.

Ok, moving on...

I've heard that Torg has been in rewrite and update for something like 10 years. If it ever comes out, I'll jump all over it, but I'm not holding my breath. It's the only game that I ever played that had a shelf life because the company produced an end to the war. I loved the game, but no one wanted to play it after the war officially ended.

Anyway... back to our regularly scheduled programming.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

HarleyGirl

The point of this thread is to find folks who share my philosophy on gaming. I expanded it to the League idea when it appeared we had more interest than could fit into a single game. I don’t look at gaming or writing on Elliquiy as something I may or may not have time for, if I commit to a game or to write with you I treat it the same as committing to any other activity or group I might be involved with in person. Your time is no less valuable to me simply because we communicate over the internet.

If you sign up to be part of a bowling league people are expecting you to come to practice and to games on a consistent basis, why should games on a forum be any different? People are counting on you to play your character or run the game and if you don’t make it some kind of priority in your life it affects the whole team and the overall quality of the story just as it would affect the average of your bowling team.

Now if you want to bowl casually that is perfectly fine, but you wouldn’t sign up for a team if you didn’t think you could commit to meeting weekly and practicing. With the League of Gamers idea I was thinking along the same line. If casual gaming/writing works for your life have at it, but I’m looking for consistency and teamwork and I figured I probably wasn't alone.

I hope that analogy clears things up.

HairyHeretic, I know sometimes life happens and you may need to duck out of a game, but it shouldn’t be your first course of action at the first sign of trouble so to speak; hence why I’m looking for mature gamers. I was hoping Elliquiy’s approval process would weed out the flakes but I’ve only been here a few months and have had far too many partners bail with no word after 2 posts or no posts at all…after contacting me and going on and on about what a great writer I am and would I please write with them. When it is just me playing Harley Quinn I can easily brush it off, but if I’m running a game or playing an original character it is a muse killer.

I’m really doing what I can to keep my muse from being murdered. I will run a deep, personalized, and challenging Changeling game for those who share my philosophy. I put a considerable amount of time and effort into my posts and games and I’m looking for folks who can appreciate that effort and match it with their own.

Blinkin, at no point was I proposing having people jump through hoops, just looking for folks who share my philosophy and being upfront about how I view gaming so that we, in theory, have less problems down the road. You'd just have to read the gaming philosophy and if you decided that was something you could be on board with you would be a member. I think it is terrible that you had such a bad experience with snooty people in the past. :( I don't think I'm better than anyone because I want a long term, mature game. I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea but I figured I'll never get what I want if I don't at least ask for it.

Blinkin

I understan your point of view. I wouldd simply point out that other forms of this have popped up on E, it's not an uncommon element for players to be put off by the amount of drop rates in group games, nevermindsolo-games. I think we can all say that we have been dropped for reasons that range from partners who simpy decide that it's not going the way that they wanted and didn't want to work on it (My personal peeve) to RL just gets in the way. I've seen a lot of people tell me that they won't play with me because I haven't agreed to this or taken that oath... agreed to this philosophy or that set of guidelines. 90% of the time, these things are the same as those that I've played by for 30 years now, both in table-top, LARP, Email Forums an Messengers. Most of them are common sense.

Sadly, they are not a remedy to the problem. Maturity has something to do with it, as does laziness and simple disinterest. It drives me nuts to spend weeks in PM to work out a storyline and the game die within a couple of weeks. People get a little miffed at me because I want to spend those weeks in prep time for a story... it lets me have some idea if the player is committted to communication and actually wants to write with me. It also helps me to learn if the person and I are actually able to craft a game that both of us wants to play. Just a few ays ago, someone and I decided that we couldn't partner on a story concept because what we wanted was too far apart. That happens and no huge issue.

Anyway,As inticing as the league idea may seem to you, I have to tell you, it is very unlikely to work. People can join and you may fin a few who will follow the reasons behind it, but in time, you'll find that it's little different than the Oath FOOf The Drake. Everyone swears to it, but it's meaningless as a means of establishing a pool of reliable payers.

The only thing that I've foun that really works... most of the time... is to just vet anyone who wants to play. Look at their posting history, talk to people and find out if they meet your requirements. If they do, great. If not, well, you know what you have to work with.

In general, I agree with most of what you said. If I join a game, I intend to be in it for the long haul. Usually, I outlive the game... and know who not to play with as a result. If the game becomes something that I don't want to be involved with, or becomes something other than what was avertised, I'll talk to the GM an see if it can be worked out, but if not, I'll explain myself in OOC and apologize for my leaving. Ultimately though, RL must come first and if I can't get a post out on a regular schedule, I'll try to let someone know. But, if RL is telling me to deal with it, then there is little than I can do about it but try.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: HarleyGirl on September 19, 2015, 08:33:26 PM
HairyHeretic, I know sometimes life happens and you may need to duck out of a game, but it shouldn’t be your first course of action at the first sign of trouble so to speak; hence why I’m looking for mature gamers.

No, I'd like it if whoever I was writing with spoke to me if they were having issues that were going to interfere with a game, or mean they wanted to drop it.

I was hoping Elliquiy’s approval process would weed out the flakes but I’ve only been here a few months and have had far too many partners bail with no word after 2 posts or no posts at all…after contacting me and going on and on about what a great writer I am and would I please write with them. When it is just me playing Harley Quinn I can easily brush it off, but if I’m running a game or playing an original character it is a muse killer.

I've been here the best part of 10 years now. I don't know how many games I've played in and run, solo or group. Games come to an end. When it's been my fault, I've tried my best to learn from that, and see that I don't repeat those mistakes.

At the end of the day though, I shrug philosophically, take what I can learn from the experience and move on to the next. There's always going to be another game.

I’m really doing what I can to keep my muse from being murdered. I will run a deep, personalized, and challenging Changeling game for those who share my philosophy. I put a considerable amount of time and effort into my posts and games and I’m looking for folks who can appreciate that effort and match it with their own.

I can understand and appreciate that, and I'd love to see all the games I played and ran reach a proper conclusion to the stories too. If it doesn't happen though, it doesn't happen. I won't let it spoil my enjoyment of writing here, or interfere with the next idea that I have.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Thufir Hawat

Can I join this League of Estimed Gamers?
I like pretty much all the requirements in the OP, and I dare think I cover the qualifications. I think I'd also be able to predict when my time would be at a premium, so I'd just sit the game out.
Actually, I'd probably have to sit the first one out, but I'd like to apply with an eye towards the future.

System-wise, all of you together have mentioned less than ten games I don't know. The number of systems I've read and own is well in the triple digits.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Senti

Has anyone played NwoD Innocents? set it before mobile phones but at a time where kids ran 'wild'  and ate sweets.

It is an interesting setting because there is no meta gaming, but it is also a lot of fun.

Also it is darker than Scooby doo or the famous five.

Batman4560