Looking for a First/Third Person Shooter where your not a camera.

Started by Sabby, May 11, 2012, 09:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

I know the name is a bit strange, but it's difficult to Google this... it's not an easy question to pose, and Yahoo Answers is about as useful as asking a chatbot.

Basically, I'm looking for a shooter, whether it be first or third person, where the aiming reticle isn't stuck to the centre of the screen. I know that may sound like a very minor detail, but it's something I love and don't find very often. I like how the gun can roam about the screen, sweeping across enemies, darting between them. It just adds so much immersion for me, since the fixed reticle is just so robotic :/

I'd give Perfect Dark as an example, but even with the Xbox 360 HD edition, the free aiming controls are just too wonky to use. But there was a game on the Xbox and PS2 called Second Sight that did it really well, the only problem was you had to hold a button down to enable it, and the reticle was being drawn towards the centre of the screen. It worked well enough, I guess, but it was still kind of awkward.

This is a good example of what I'm after. It's a mod for Half Life 2, but I want a game that actually was made with it.

HL2 Wiimote Mod day 22

MezzaNotte

I don't know of many, but the control scheme reminds me of the Red Steel series on the Wii. I haven't played the game in years, but I remember the controls being something of the sort.

Sabby

Oh yes, I've had a Wii. Red Steel and Metroid Prime 3 are great examples of what I want in a PC game.

LunarSage

Wasn't Resident Evil 5 like that?

I personally hated that aspect of it, but it may be what you're looking for.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Sabby

No Resident Evil game is like that, aside from RE4 on the Wii. The Wii has the games I'm after, but I tapped that mine dry years ago and sold it.

LunarSage

I'm thinking you'd have loved Bayou Billy (a very old NES game) then if I'm understanding correctly.

Sabby

...huh? Dx How does that relate to this in any way? It's a crappy SNES beat 'em up.

LunarSage

Bayou Billy was a shooter, dude... or at least had shooter stages.

Sabby

It had some racing scenes where you had to dodge obstacles, but its not even remotely close to the topic o.o I'm looking for first or third person shooters with aiming sights not stuck to the centre of the screen.

LunarSage

As opposed to the old side scrolling "Gallery" shooters of the 80s?  I gotcha now.

I still remember RE5 as being like that, though.  Are you positive it didn't have a movable targeting sight?

Inkidu

The only thin I can think of third-person wise like that is Wet. :P

And that's only really in bullet time, which is  all the time.

It's a pretty unnatural control scheme for a standard controller.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Resident Evil 4 on the Wii had it, but Resident Evil 5 was a standard over the shoulder shooter. The kind of shooter I need is where you only begin to turn your vision when your reticle approaches the edge of the screen.

AndyZ

What about the games in The House of the Dead series?  Or Time Crisis?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Inkidu

Yeah, Sabby, I figured you wanted you shooter off the rails, but if that's not the case then Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles and its sequel are okay.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Yeah, there are two systems that have this kind of perspective in abundance. The Nintendo Wii, and arcade shooters. And the latter is on rails, which kind of defeats the purpose to me. All I need is a standard shooter, take Halo or Half Life, where when you move the mouse or control stick, your reticle moves, and your screen doesn't IMMEDIATELY follow. I want to be able to be shooting directly in front of me, and then swing around to shoot at an enemy who appeared somewhere else without my whole viewpoint swinging around.

Miss Kathinja

My immediate thought was Jurassic Park: Trespasser, but there's kind of a reason no one ever mentions it.

I suppose Goldeneye probably qualifies, but I'm going to wager that you've played it already.

Outside of the ones I've mentioned and the ones mentioned in this topic already, I can't think of any.

Incidentally, such a control scheme is generally regarded as more annoying, troublesome and unwieldy than the Quake methodology, thus the relative rarity.  Good luck in any event.

Sabby

JP:T is actually one of the few games I've finished ^^' I got the fully patched version, so most of the technical stuff people hated was fixed, and I know a lot of the content got cut out and simplified, but I actually liked the desolate game area and feeling of complete abandonment. It's not often I feel 'alone' in a game, it was imposing and it did more to unsettle me then the usual horror games can. But that's just because I'm strange and I have gaming tastes too specific at times to even properly describe to myself, let alone track down. No one could actually argue in the gameplays defence, the whole thing was a mess.

Hemingway

Maybe ARMA2 would fit what you're looking for. It's heavily on the simulator side of things, though.

That said, there's supposedly a very good zombie mod for it. I haven't checked it out myself, but it's supposed to be ... err, very good.

Sabby

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Sabby

clrpurp

They are more simulation type games than FPS, but the Mechwarrior series allows you to aim weapons independent of your view. There is also the questionable Universal Combat games, when in first-person mode your aim is also independent of where you're looking.

Craz

The Red Orchestra series does this quite well, I believe.

OrangeCream