What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

I'm running the Witcher 2 on a mediocre (at best) laptop and with the settings turned down (although it's still beautiful) it's running pretty smoothly I have to say. Obviously, check you meet the minimum spec requirements but it's anything but unplayable on low end machines.

Hemingway

I'm finally done with my finals, playing L. A. Noire.

I do wish they'd give me some hints as to how to tell someone is lying, because I'm clueless. I know there are things you can watch for, but ... dammit, I'm not that perceptive in real life!

Edit: Liking the game so far. When I first started it up, I got flashbacks to the horrible disappointment that was Red Dead Redemption, but so far ... well, I like the characters, and that's important. It's always thrilling when you uncover some clue that twists the whole case around. I do hope the stories get more intricate and interesting, though. But we'll see!

Inkidu

Quote from: consortium11 on May 23, 2011, 12:01:36 AM
I'm running the Witcher 2 on a mediocre (at best) laptop and with the settings turned down (although it's still beautiful) it's running pretty smoothly I have to say. Obviously, check you meet the minimum spec requirements but it's anything but unplayable on low end machines.
Mine can barely run The Witcher on middle settings. So, yeah. Before I drop sixty bucks on a game I don't technically own and is non-returnable when I open the box, I'd wait for a console release. I'm sick of PCs. Too much work and money for unstable results.

Hemingway: A neat little trick I learned is that if you think they might be lying go ahead and accuse them of lying. Cole will often state what he thinks they're lying about in some way. If you don't think you can prove it, just hit B. There's not penalty. If you have no contradictory evidence and think they're still not on the up and up it's probably a doubt.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

I like Cole. Cole has a stick up his ass.

Anyway, the problem is I don't know how, err, scientific they are about facial expressions and lies. Supposedly there are several ways to tell if people are lying, because it involves creative thinking and all ... but if the developers didn't account for that, then I'm just guessing.

Inkidu

If all else fails get a girlfriend. Women are supposed to be better at facial recognition and what not. Another trick is down and to the left, down and to the left. They kind of use that one a lot. Truth tellers typically don't shift their eyes.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Nadir

It's more the tone of voice than facial markers that indicate a person is lying...

Inkidu

Quote from: Eden on May 24, 2011, 02:31:54 PM
It's more the tone of voice than facial markers that indicate a person is lying...
When they're bad at lying sure, but when you've got someone experienced the face tends to act involuntarily. Trust me some of the people you interview in that game are believable by word alone, but are obviously lying.

Oniya

Quote from: Eden on May 24, 2011, 02:31:54 PM

There's a variety of physical 'tells' as well, but I doubt they'll have programmed many of those in. Touching the face (especially if it obscures the features) is one that I can remember off-hand.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

I don't think that anyone in L.A. Noir obscures their face. It's really all facially focused that way, but you can look up while you're looking through your notebook and they might have an extra tell.

Oniya

Nah, I figured.  I've just seen a lot of that sort of thing on my court shows (the trial of Dr. Sharpe was the one that came vividly to mind). I would be really impressed if they used more than a few blatant ones. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

rhev

Currently playing mass effect 2 through for the second time.  Trying to go max renegade this playthrough, but dag nabit, it's so hard to be so bad.

Hemingway

L. A. Noire has a black and white mode! Hee hee hee ...

dready

Played LA Noire and got my cases  right so far, but I keep missing one single effing clue or getting one single question wrong.

Specially because of this BS vague system of 'doubt or lie'

*hits doubt because they're lying but i don't have proof, detective states that they doubt something entirely different than what i was thinking*

Wyrd

Not gonna lie. By what you guys say about it... LA Noire sounds terrible
Ragtime Dandies!

dready

Less terrible, more frustrating if you want to 100% everything. It's a fun game when you're not trying to conquer it the first run through.

RPMate

Currently playing World of warcraft mostly with my friends. Have a Rift account too which I've been neglecting recently because of wow.

Other platform games I've been playing are on my psp such as Monster hunter, Final fantasy 4 the after years and Fable 3.

dready

Sabby

My Xbox just updated my firmware, which seems to be screwing with my mod chip, since none of my games will work now... only one that will is Far Cry 2, which is boring as fuck now x.x

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on May 26, 2011, 05:11:00 AM
My Xbox just updated my firmware, which seems to be screwing with my mod chip, since none of my games will work now... only one that will is Far Cry 2, which is boring as fuck now x.x

And what did we learn? :P

Lirliel

Quote from: Wolfy on May 26, 2011, 07:45:36 AM
And what did we learn? :P

Don't update when you've got a cracked console?

Also, fucking PS Store I want to redeem my mass effect 2 codes, HURRY THE SHIT UP.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Hemingway

Quote from: Wyrd on May 25, 2011, 08:22:25 PM
Not gonna lie. By what you guys say about it... LA Noire sounds terrible

It's a matter of preference. If you don't like gameplay that's, you know, more cinematic, you're not gonna like it. The thing with the doubt and lie system, and getting things wrong, is really a matter of ... I don't know - you don't need to get everything right, so as far as I'm concerned, it's just making things more realistic. You're not going to get everything right. From what I can tell, missing something or discovering some hidden clue can change the whole nature of the case. Which is fun. Miscarriages of justice are fun as long as they're in video games.

Inkidu

Gosh, the next big thing is what? Deus Ex: Human Revolution? I'm going to need to get a job before that one comes out.

Wolfy

Quote from: Inkidu on May 26, 2011, 04:18:50 PM
Gosh, the next big thing is what? Deus Ex: Human Revolution? I'm going to need to get a job before that one comes out.

You forgot Duke Nukem Forever and Zelda OOT 3D.

Sabby

Zelda is a rerelease of a game that gets by solely on the Nintendo fanbase, which is mostly like a Jack Russel with a maggoty bone. It doesn't care that that bone isn't as good as it used to be, it will stay in denial and violently defend it no matter what.

Seriously, I've never seen a fan base as ravenous and retarded as Nintendo .__. theres being a dedicated fan, and then theres being a fanboy, and then theres being a loyalist with shrapnel lodged in your brain, and THEN theres being a Nintendo fanboy.

Wolfy

Quote from: Sabby on May 26, 2011, 11:11:24 PM
Zelda is a rerelease of a game that gets by solely on the Nintendo fanbase, which is mostly like a Jack Russel with a maggoty bone. It doesn't care that that bone isn't as good as it used to be, it will stay in denial and violently defend it no matter what.

Seriously, I've never seen a fan base as ravenous and retarded as Nintendo .__. theres being a dedicated fan, and then theres being a fanboy, and then theres being a loyalist with shrapnel lodged in your brain, and THEN theres being a Nintendo fanboy.

And yet said game is held as one of the best of all time, even by non nintendo fans.

Plus, it's not just a release, it's a remake with updated graphics and things.

Plus, it's portable. Playing Zelda OOT on the go? Yes please.