D&D Wizarding School: Interest Check (Room for one more)

Started by Skynet, June 12, 2013, 08:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skynet

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 13, 2013, 12:45:08 AM
Eh, I'm using an email address with them that's been dead for years.

I'd prefer to have my character around the age of 18, though being an elf... She's more likely to be around 118 >.>

That's fine with me.

Oh, by the way, here's a system-neutral record sheet for Redhurst student characters.  In case anyone's interested.

Sara Nilsson

still trying to read through the 155 page handbook :)

ShadowFox89

I think I'll remain surprised.... She'll probably have just stepped through the portal.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

RubySlippers

Quote from: Skynet on June 12, 2013, 11:29:52 PM
That's fine with me. 

Players can do this or the 25 Point Buy.

How do you re-roll 1's on the site dice roller its kind of odd?

ShadowFox89

Doesn't really work on E... you'd have to manually reroll.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

eBadger

Nys Vendatti
Elven Magus

Nys Vendatti is the young scion of the Vendatti clan, a group of elves committed to trade, diplomacy and neutrality.  The clan has a long history as nomads and craftsman, and several hundred years ago turned their travels and knowledge toward trade.  They now stand as a wealthy group with a mixed reputation: they are known to trade with anyone, for anything.  They function as emissaries and messengers without prejudice or pity.  They are the source turned to for the exotic, strange, or blatantly illegal.  Recently they’ve gained both renown and condemnation as sellers of exceptional slaves. 

The physical appearance of the clan – silver hair and black nails - is said to derive from a history as dusk elves coupled with an influx of drow heritage, as they utilized marriage unions to gain entry into the markets of the underworld.

Nys was raised with a clear expectation to one day assume a role of leadership within the clan.  His training was broad and included both magic and swordplay as well as some less conventional means of achieving goals.  A wickedly intelligent young man, he excelled at many of his studies and often found himself wearied by those who failed to keep up.  His father also attempted to teach him the skills of a master merchant, but the boy’s pride and youthful impatience sometimes interfered with his silver tongue. 

Still a young adult by elven standards, Nys is nevertheless well traveled and much older than most mortals he encounters.  His attitude towards schooling is mixed; he is excited about the opportunity to learn, but finds it difficult to shift from a leadership role to that of a student.  Likewise, although not unused to hardship he is displeased by the lack of comforts and servants, which his father considered necessary for discipline and he considers a pointless irritation. 

His attitude toward others is a bit mercenary, a carryover from his clan’s outlook toward business.  He dislikes inflicting harm and understands antagonism is unproductive, but is ultimately goal driven and opportunity or desperation can quickly dismiss manners.  Hopefully, as school progresses, he will begin to find himself humbler and more caring. 

As a potential character link, if anyone wishes to they could take the role of Nys' servant; a prized and respected companion sent to learn as well, but also expected to be loyal and obedient. 

Character sheet

Skynet

I really like Nys.  He looks awesome!

I'm looking at the sheet, and your character has 9 ranks at 1st level.  You should have 8 (2 for class, 4 for Intelligence, 2 bonus as house rule).

Also, class skills receive a +3 bonus in addition to ranks and ability bonuses.

apostateCourier

Skynet: I do believe you're forgetting the +1 for being in your Favored Class.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Skynet on June 13, 2013, 01:30:06 AM
I meant on Invisible Castle.

Edit: Oh, RubySlippers might have meant Elliquiy.  Still interested in how Invisible Castle's re-rolls work.

Put: 4d6.takeHighest(3).minroll(2)

That will reroll anything below a two and take the best 3 of the rolls. Though I'm not sure exactly how the coding works, that could result in rolling 4d6 taking the best 3, then rerolling any of those that are below 2.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Ebb

For most of these systems, something like

4d5.takeHighest(3) + 3

also works. Basically you're rolling 5 sided dice and adding 1.

On the Elliquiy roller, that would be:
Dice:4
Sides:5
Keep:3
Add:3

eBadger

Quote from: Skynet on June 13, 2013, 10:24:17 AM
I really like Nys.  He looks awesome!

I'm looking at the sheet, and your character has 9 ranks at 1st level.  You should have 8 (2 for class, 4 for Intelligence, 2 bonus as house rule).

Also, class skills receive a +3 bonus in addition to ranks and ability bonuses.
Thanks, glad you like him!  The extra +1 is actually from the Vagabond trait; lemme know if that makes sense or I should adjust it.  I'm an old school D&D guy, but this is my first Pathfinder character so please do give him a thorough review. 

Skynet

Quote from: apostateCourier on June 13, 2013, 11:10:29 AM
Skynet: I do believe you're forgetting the +1 for being in your Favored Class.

Does that apply to 1st level as well?  I forgot.

Quote from: eBadger on June 13, 2013, 12:45:28 PM
Thanks, glad you like him!  The extra +1 is actually from the Vagabond trait; lemme know if that makes sense or I should adjust it.  I'm an old school D&D guy, but this is my first Pathfinder character so please do give him a thorough review. 

He looks very good overall.  I haven't spotted anything else out of the ordinary.

Vagabond gives a trait bonus as opposed to a free skill rank.

The +3 bonus on class skills only activates when a character takes a rank in said skill.  So your total bonus with a rank should be +8 (+3 Dex, +3 class, +1 rank, and +1 trait).

ShadowFox89

It applies on every level I believe.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

eBadger

Ah!  Those are the little details it's easy to miss.  I'll adjust that asap. 

As for the favored class thing, per this first level is included (under #4) but I put that point into HP (seeing as my con is a bit weak, and level 1 character hit points always freak me out anyhow). 

Dropped a point of perception, added a misc mod to Disable

ShadowFox89

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=590270

Need a name and equipment, but otherwise done. Going for a Dervish-Magus.

Expect my character to be challenging others to duels and using Arcane Mark to tattoo them :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sara Nilsson

Skynet

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on June 13, 2013, 03:23:53 PM
btw.. traits are ok to use or no?

I'm looking at the trait system right now.  I won't be against it unless the trait is very ill-fitting for the campaign or has shoddy (poorly worded) rules.  If the trait can't be found in the Pathfinder SRD, show it to me via PM or post it here.

RubySlippers

This race just screams Summoner the Entobian. I guess it starts gender neutral until it metamorphs right now its a cute caterpillar creature.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/alluria-publishing/entobian#TOC-Larvite-Racial-Trait

Only Matrons are female and I can't be one until 15th Level but can pop out hundreds of babies a breeding. Others have other benefits but are all male.

Sara Nilsson

Skynet

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 13, 2013, 03:33:34 PM
This race just screams Summoner the Entobian. I guess it starts gender neutral until it metamorphs right now its a cute caterpillar creature.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/3rd-party-races/alluria-publishing/entobian#TOC-Larvite-Racial-Trait

Only Matrons are female and I can't be one until 15th Level but can pop out hundreds of babies a breeding. Others have other benefits but are all male.

Were you going for a particular 'stage,' because I don't think the campaign's going for a typical 1st-20th level arc.

Also, when an Entobian undergoes metamorphosis and gains new racial traits, does it discard the old ones or retain them?

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on June 13, 2013, 03:45:57 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/ghost-sight that is the one i was thinking of. mostly for flavour.

It sounds pretty cool.  Go for it!

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 13, 2013, 03:53:12 PM
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/social-traits/charming
and
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/race-traits/dilettante-artist-elf

Fitting for the character.  Approved.