D&D Wizarding School: Interest Check (Room for one more)

Started by Skynet, June 12, 2013, 08:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

I vote for an "Introduction to Anatomy" class where a teacher ties up one student from each gender then points out and explains what each part does... followed by allowing a "hands on" examination >.> (and offer Mel up as a model)

For starting... maybe start with a bang? A hot (ie, action-y) opening usually does better than a cold (ie, dialogue filled) one.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: Skynet on June 13, 2013, 10:57:12 PM

I can't think of anything specific.  Just some thoughts, but I wouldn't mind having a PC be a noble scion in disguise/hiding. 

can do if you wish

RubySlippers

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 13, 2013, 11:33:24 PM
I vote for an "Introduction to Anatomy" class where a teacher ties up one student from each gender then points out and explains what each part does... followed by allowing a "hands on" examination >.> (and offer Mel up as a model)

For starting... maybe start with a bang? A hot (ie, action-y) opening usually does better than a cold (ie, dialogue filled) one.

Good luck with my characters species.  ;D

Sara Nilsson

ShadowFox89

Quote from: RubySlippers on June 13, 2013, 11:41:57 PM
Good luck with my characters species.  ;D

It could be done just as easily, though I don't think there would be as many willing to get "hands on" with a caterpillar person as with an elf maiden :P
Call me Shadow
My A/A

eBadger

Well, one of our girls is a genderless insect, while the other isn't into sexytime, and I'm pretty hetero.  I suppose we could instead have Basic Dungeoneering Defense course instead, and see how you fare against that tentacle monster? 

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 13, 2013, 11:33:24 PMFor starting... maybe start with a bang? A hot (ie, action-y) opening usually does better than a cold (ie, dialogue filled) one.
My fave is a couple days worth of dialogue (to establish our characters have actual personalities) and then a bit of a bang.  Just no long, completely actionless phases.  Although action isn't always combat (sneaking out to town for a night in the bar, for instance, could make for great shenanigans)

Skynet

Quote from: eBadger on June 13, 2013, 11:25:41 PM
As for starting the adventure, yes, basic "arriving and settling in" sorts of posts will take a few days by themselves.  It sort of depends when you want things to kick off.

I'll wait until tomorrow to see if we have any other takers.  If not, I'm happy with the 4 players already and can get things started with an opening post.  Don't worry if you don't have a backstory, or just a threadbare one.  You can develop things along the way.

Seems kind of too... out there for an opening scene for me.  But having the opening take place in a class can definitely be a fun idea.  Maybe a more situational sexy idea arising out of a mundane situation:

The students are practicing with counterspelling in a "Defensive Magic" class, and one of the spells goes awry and sheds one of the student's clothes off.

While practicing illusion magic, one of the pervy students goes for a more "adult-oriented" illusion.

Skynet

Quote from: eBadger on June 13, 2013, 11:45:55 PM
Well, one of our girls is a genderless insect, while the other isn't into sexytime, and I'm pretty hetero.  I suppose we could instead have Basic Dungeoneering Defense course instead, and see how you fare against that tentacle monster?

I actually kind of like this idea.  The monster might get too handsy with Mel, and is then immediately dispelled before anything too explicit happens (if you're OK with that, Shadowfox).

QuoteMy fave is a couple days worth of dialogue (to establish our characters have actual personalities) and then a bit of a bang.  Just no long, completely actionless phases.  Although action isn't always combat (sneaking out to town for a night in the bar, for instance, could make for great shenanigans)

That could work as well.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Skynet on June 13, 2013, 11:54:09 PM
I actually kind of like this idea.  The monster might get too handsy with Mel, and is then immediately dispelled before anything too explicit happens (if you're OK with that, Shadowfox).

Could just move the explicit stuff to the sexytime thread....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Sara Nilsson

(WIP just so people can get an idea of my char so far)

Na'ima Rabd-Al-Rashida bint Omar ibn Khalid al-Fulan

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=590302

The only daughter of a wealthy silk merchant in the Emerald Sultanate she started displaying magical powers at an early age, her father was hesitant to send his only girl child off to receive training in order to harness her ability so instead of having her attend a school he merely tried to keep her powers under control by lots of prayers. It all seemed to work as his young daughter was spending all her times praying feverishly to try and contain the evil that was oozing in her head. But even with all her prayers her growing powers soon proved to be impossible to contain and things started happening around her, disembodied voices would whisper unintelligent messages, faint glowing orbs would be seen in the dark. Since her prayers weren't working she came to the conclusion that the Gods had forsaken her and she was damned. So to spare her father the shame she picked up a dagger and used it to slit her wrists open, all that virgin blood potent with her magical energies attracted the attention of the spirits of the desert and as thy rushed to devour her immortal soul her father found his dying daughter and calling upon the Gods he used his powers to seal her wounds but the close brush with death forever left her marked by the underworld and she would forever keep hearing ghostly whispers that can be used to help her find and identify the undead.

Her father finally understood that his daughter needed schooling or the powers of the underworld would come back and devour her this time so he quickly bundled her up along with her possessions and traveled to the great university of Redhurst hoping that they could help her or at least point him towards a good place where his priceless girl could be safe. To his relief the Academy teachers decided to take her in and teach her to harness her abilities. Of course having grown up being told her abilities where evil to her this was a betrayal of the highest order, her own father handing her over to these evil wizards!

Being an obedient girl she did as her father had instructed her to and set about trying to learn to control her powers as good as she could, the teachers soon found that the dagger she used to try and kill herself with had formed a bond with her and turned into her magical focus. The second shock of her stay at the Academy was at the end of her first year and she took the aptitude test and it was clear that her talent lay in necromancy. To powers over the dead came naturally to her, while she struggles to even light a candle with flint and steel.

Skynet

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on June 14, 2013, 12:01:21 AM
Could just move the explicit stuff to the sexytime thread....

Yeah, might be better off as a thing which happens later in the plot.  Wouldn't want the first scene to be moved to another thread!

@Sara:

I really like Na'ima's backstory.  Not too many mages had such a traumatic awakening to their powers.  How might it influence her view of magic, and fellow arcanists?

eBadger

Yes, your beautiful, clever, magical, rich, virginal daughter will be perfectly safe, I'll see to it.  As a fellow merchant prince, I suggest we move her to my suite immediately for her, ah, protection. 

@sky - may I suggest we get a Character thread up?

Sara Nilsson

Quote from: eBadger on June 14, 2013, 12:20:19 AM
Yes, your beautiful, clever, magical, rich, virginal daughter will be perfectly safe, I'll see to it.  As a fellow merchant prince, I suggest we move her to my suite immediately for her, ah, protection. 

@sky - may I suggest we get a Character thread up?

*chuckles*

Skynet

Things added to the OP:

Game Pacing: I want to move the plot forward, so if one person lags behind or goes on hiatus, we'll move forward.  In some cases I (or a trusted partner) can determine character actions in things like combat.  Otherwise the PC will be on "pilot mode" and remain passive.

Tagging: For easily determining time of day and adventures,  I was thinking of using a "tag" system.  Sample below:

Name: The PC's name.
Time of Day:  Time of day.  It's assumed that almost all planes operate on the same 24-hour clock.
Tagged: PCs participating in the scene.  "Open" indicates that others can join in.

eBadger

Expanded Nys' background, added some hooks, and tweaked the languages on his character sheet.

Haven't figured out yet how to upload a new version on google docs and keep the same URL, so I'll just keep the one on the character page current. 

Frank Reshman

Interested. Very interested, actually, but I've only ever played 4e....So, how big of a problem would that be? 

ShadowFox89

I am so sorely tempted to run an expy of this using Legend, but I've already got 2 games I'm supposed to be starting....
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

Quote from: Skynet on June 13, 2013, 10:05:51 PM
Looks like we've already got a good 4 people.  AndyZ expressed interest earlier, but he hasn't responded.

What do you folks think?  Should I leave the thread open for a little while more?

Either way, I'll need time to come up with an adventure.  I could write something up in a few days, although I'd be interested in PC backstory first for things to build off of.

Sorry.  Work's been kicking my butt and I just won't be able to keep up with this pace at this point in time.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Skynet

Quote from: Frank Reshman on June 14, 2013, 02:20:06 AM
Interested. Very interested, actually, but I've only ever played 4e....So, how big of a problem would that be?

Not much.  Pathfinder has a lot of the same things as 4E (skills, feats, classes, the 4th Edition Powers system is based off of Vancian magic spells/day).  It requires a little more tweaking in terms of character creation (skills don't scale automatically with level unless you put points into them, for example).

eBadger

I believe two of us, including myself, are making pathfinder characters for the first time for this game - so you're in good company if you need to ask a few questions. 

I basically just followed this outline, following links as needed.  The race and class pages also laid things out pretty clearly. 

Muse

Good afternoon, Skynet, do you still have an opening? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sara Nilsson

should have my full char sheet up soon, migraine is kicking my ass today