Life at the Ludus [Ancient Rome]

Started by Blonde, September 18, 2012, 03:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whtbitch4u2own

I'll have mine up later today or tomorrow the latest. Didn't hear anything on the thread so i didn't know where we were standing
~White~
Offsite Contact info:
Gmail: jenwishuknew
Discord: jenwishuknew#6959

bubby

I was wondering if my PM was received?

gaggedLouise

Name: Lydia

Picture here
Role: Slave
Origin: Lycia (present-day SW Turkey, east of Rhodes)
Orientation: Bi, mostly leaning towards women
Measures: 5' 7", 130 lbs. Body shape curvy, well proportioned body; well-rounded butt and breasts but not overly large.

Blemishes: no major ones on her body. Her hands are sturdy and a bit boney, not delicately feminine, and sometimes look slightly rough - she had big hands to begin with and has done some hard manual work, also she's sometimes been punished in ways that were straining on her hands, but they are agile, finely tuned and eager for work. On the inside of her right knee, a branding mark from an earlier owner, which is now smudged and looks like a faint nest of welts.

History: The younger of two daughters of a shipbuilder and merchant in SW Asia Minor, Lydia grew up in some comfort; she was taught to read and write Greek (her native language) and read and speak Latin, though she doesn't write in Latin beyond simple, short messages. The family were Roman citizens, which brought social and legal privileges (remember Paul being one?) and her father traded in wine, tools, spices and slaves. But everything changed when Lydia was fifteen and her father took part in an attempt to make the Roman procurator recognize some pre-Roman city rights and make him and the soldiers work in more understanding with the local middle class and farmers. After heated negotiations and protests, the situation erupted into urban riots, city fighting and a smear campaign against the procurator. The protests were clamped down by the invincible Roman legion and Lydia's father was executed together with dozens of other leading men, her mother and the children sold as slaves and the family soon scattered out across the empire. Lydia was called on to teach and take care of the children of a family in northern Africa but after about two years fell out with the father, having been in a secret liaison with his wife; she was flogged and sold off to northern Gaul where she had to do tough farm work and was branded by her new owner, who also raped her and occasionlly let his other male slaves use her.

Having been raped and abused a couple times, but still looking very good, Lydia is more orientated towards women but she also realizes to herself that she sometimes gets off on being treated rough, something she knows she has to hide, especially when she is with those who have no trouble acting that way.
After one or two more owners Lydia has landed at the gladiator school, where she has been doing work both helping to cook and sometimes serve and perhaps do some secretarial work for the lanista when he needs someone with fluency in reading/writing Greek (although many educated Romans had some knowledge of Greek and the really educated men were taught it). She is also sometimes employed as a dancer during breaks at "showcases" of the school when it stages days of show fights for rich buyers and so on, and has been requested for sex a few times by some of the gladiators, with the blessing of the lanista.

Personality: Strong and intelligent, longing for love but also sometimes for sex. She has a strong survival instinct and is able to take some beatings and trouble on the way to reaching a goal; she is also a caring young woman but she has seen it turn against her a few times of course. Sometimes melancholic and locking in on her own feelings: the cruel, violent downfall of her family and some of her friends and the loss of contact with her mother and siblings have left a mark on her. She has dreams of becoming a free woman again. but realizes that's not very likely to happen here at the Ludus.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Blonde

Right.

Female positions are closed for now, we're out numbering the boys a bit here.

We need male Gladiators, perhaps a Doctore, maybe a Guard or slave, but we need more male characters now.

Blonde - Female slave, personal slave to the Domina.
GaggedLouise - Female slave
Kate - Female slave
whtbitch4u2own - Female slave

Elven Sex Goddess - Domina, wife to the Lanista.
Primarch - Lanista

azzmeister89 - Male Gladiator
MagicalPen- Male Gladiator

Five females, and only three guys? This isn't good, it'll get a wee bit boring. So we need some more male characters involved.
On&Off's | Request Thread NewestV.1 && V.2 | Visual Index | Gif Index

Caitlin

Oh cool, I was afraid that the gladiator positions were already taken. Originally I had made a sign up, but then removed it when I had the impression that I wouldn't be able to join.

The character I'm thinking of is a captured tribesman, from the area were later the Vikings originated from (northern Denmark to be more precise). The idea I had for my character was that he'd suffer from a post traumatic stress syndrome, after the Romans slaughtered most of his villagers/ family/ friends before his very eyes and he was helpless to stop them.  This in turn results in unpredictable and agressive behaviour, and grabbing a bottle of alcohol whenever possible, although he'll try to hide his weaknesses. It won't be just doom and gloom though, maybe a woman or two will be able to get his mind of his issues and help him relax. ;)

Ancient Rome has been a general interest of me since high school and I learned a fair deal of it. Additionally, Gladiator is one of my favourite movies and I watched the first season of Blood and Sand. I want to create a realistic character, but I agree on taking the creative liberties when necessary. ;D

I'd also like my character to know a thing or two about healing cuts and setting broken bones. I want him to be more than just a 'standard' tribe warrior. It could help resolve the need for a separate doctor, although my character wouldn't know much about healing herbs and curing all sorts of ailments and sicknesses. He also won't be able to operate on patients who sustained internal damage.

I do have one request though; although there are many pictures out there, I prefer to give a text description of my character. Finding a picture that does my character justice will be near impossible to find and I don't want to conform my character just to match a picture.

If you're okay with that request then I'll fill in the full template this midday. I expect to post every 24 - 48 hours, also depending on how often others update their posts.

Blonde

Quote from: Caitlin on October 01, 2012, 05:50:38 AM
Oh cool, I was afraid that the gladiator positions were already taken. Originally I had made a sign up, but then removed it when I had the impression that I wouldn't be able to join.

The character I'm thinking of is a captured tribesman, from the area were later the Vikings originated from (northern Denmark to be more precise). The idea I had for my character was that he'd suffer from a post traumatic stress syndrome, after the Romans slaughtered most of his villagers/ family/ friends before his very eyes and he was helpless to stop them.  This in turn results in unpredictable and agressive behaviour, and grabbing a bottle of alcohol whenever possible, although he'll try to hide his weaknesses. It won't be just doom and gloom though, maybe a woman or two will be able to get his mind of his issues and help him relax. ;)

Ancient Rome has been a general interest of me since high school and I learned a fair deal of it. Additionally, Gladiator is one of my favourite movies and I watched the first season of Blood and Sand. I want to create a realistic character, but I agree on taking the creative liberties when necessary. ;D

I'd also like my character to know a thing or two about healing cuts and setting broken bones. I want him to be more than just a 'standard' tribe warrior. It could help resolve the need for a separate doctor, although my character wouldn't know much about healing herbs and curing all sorts of ailments and sicknesses. He also won't be able to operate on patients who sustained internal damage.

I do have one request though; although there are many pictures out there, I prefer to give a text description of my character. Finding a picture that does my character justice will be near impossible to find and I don't want to conform my character just to match a picture.

If you're okay with that request then I'll fill in the full template this midday. I expect to post every 24 - 48 hours, also depending on how often others update their posts.

Big thumbs up to all of that. The reason I ask for a picture is usually when people do a written description of their character they just say "5'9, 158lbs, dark hair and dark eyes" and that doesn't really give anyone a good idea of the characters image. So, so long as you give a full and detailed description of your character, you don't have to use a picture. I like that you're going to give him his own personal demons to deal with, it'll make for a more interesting read. So yeah, go for it and post him up.

I am going to sort out and finish my character now.

gaggedLouise

Really like Caitlin's character too, and as I already told him in pm, I think that guy and Lydia are going to have a number of interesting encounters both in and out of bed.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Caitlin

Oi, sweet. ^_^

And yeah, no worries about my character description. I'll give an overview of his stats and I'm thinking of writing a short story that allows you to picture him better. I'll probably put that in his biography and make the biography more of an introduction story. Will be tough to keep that short, haha! ;D

I'll leave out childhood details in the biography, but those will get added later on through flashbacks during the actual RP. That way I don't have to flesh him out completely at the start, and it'll make for a better story.

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, I roll a char into this :).

Name: Leonidas

Role: Gladiator
Orientation: Switch
Nationality: Roman (Greek mother)

Height: 5'9'ft
Weight: 190lb
Blemishes: None, no scars, no blemishes, no tattoos. Only years use of sword practices covers his hands and soles of his feet from marching.

Personality: Leonidas is civilsized, educated, patriotic and well educated manners. But all these are forgotten if he is angered, his temper is not easy to tick off but once it's ticked off he looses all resemblance of control and goes berserk.
Biography: Leonidas is son of primus pilus, a seasoned roman empire soldier who has advanced such high rank. His mother, a greek in origin, was infamous in way as she was actress and screenwriter for roman plays. But she was far from much disputed role as whore; she was well educated woman who taught read, write and many other advanced educational arts to Leonidas and appreciation to arts. Leonidas however wanted career as soldier and thanks with his father's position he got early on training into arts of legionnaire.

He rised easily up to optio but sadly under command of a man who had earned his position because of connections than actual talent. He read orders from legatus legionis which commanded the cohort remain still while main army went to attack walls and ranshack a city. However his centurion decided ignore the orders and instead led his soldiers for pillage, but thanks him moving off the line the left flank was unprotected and it caused calvary unit charge head long to rear of roman army and forced a withdraw and delayed whole campaign! Commander what Leonidas served refused take responsibility and using connections and burning original orders he told Leonidas had told orders to go forward.....it led Leonidas convicted as traitor who had purpose misread letter to send enemy forces to rear thanks with false evidence of his alliance in his tent in form of foreign gold.

So he was convicted and his father and mother ashamed publicly he was given choice of two sentences; death or life as gladiator. He chose life as gladiator even if slim chances of survival in there but with mild distant hopes to win freedom or able buy time for his friends or father investigate the case more properly.

Other: Leonidas is intended to be freshman to the arena and he was almost green legionnaire soldier, only received first bloodbath early on and even then in easy fight. He is meant as 'young and pretty' gladiator and probably seen easily as boy because he does not shave at all yet (smooth chin and all).

Caitlin

Looks like the balance is restored with 5 women and 5 men. :-)

I don't know if you want more people to join the game Blonde, but you might want to watch out of having too many people join up. It can be a chaotic game and if additional characters are really needed then I'm sure somebody could (temporarily) roleplay an additional NPC. I would be okay with occasionally roleplaying a doctor if medical attention is really needed. He could be living in a nearby village, what would explain why he's not constantly in the Ludus and only joins the story when his services are needed.

We could deal with guards and other (male) slaves in a similar way. Maybe it would be an idea if you write a short bio for them and perhaps gather some pictures of what you envision them to look like?

Please note, all of the above are merely suggestions. If you rather wait for more people to join up then do so. ^_^

Blonde

I normally don't like group rp's with more than 6 people involved, including myself. This is the first time I have allowed one of my rp's to have so many people involved. I can guarantee a few will drop out though.

But yeah, this rp is officially closed. I will create some puppet characters at some point also.

Please work on finishing your profiles asap. I will post the IC thread at some point, and you can only post in it when your character is finished.

Caitlin

Understood. :-)

Once I finished my fitness training this midday and had something to eat, I'll sit down and work on my biography. I have some other tasks I need to do tonight as well, but I expect to have my biography ready before 9 pm your time.

Caitlin

By the way, will you also put a thread up where we can post our template? That way we'll have all the characters organised in one central spot. An OOC topic would also be nice to have at that point.

Blonde

To those who are messaging and saying about this and that, worry not, I will get on to it all. It is a work in process.

Caitlin

Name: Baersun (Son of Bear)

Role: Gladiator
Orientation: Straight
Nationality: Germanic (He originates from the north of current day Denmark. Several hundred years later the Vikings descended from his people.)

Appearance:
Height: 1.82 meter (6'1”)
Weight: 87.5 kilograms (192.5 lbs)
Hair: Very light blond, almost white. Used to reach until his shoulders before his capture. Was cut short to jaw-length in the Ludus. He used to have a full beard as well, which had the same color as his hair, but now he shaves every other day. Generally he has a stubble.
Eyes: Clear green color, they contrast with his hair color and stand out in his face. These days it's rare to see his eyes twinkle.
Face: He has a slightly crooked nose, after breaking it twice in battle. The druid managed to set it nearly completely straight and despite that it healed well, this is still visible. He has a broad jawline; full cheeks; light colored lips which are only a little darker than his skin color; full eyebrows which are just as blond as the hair on his head; and large ears which are half covered by his hair. His teeth are mostly, though not completely, straight. Overall he has a handsome face, despite the minor flaws.
Body: His skin color is suntanned Caucasian. Below the southern European sun, his skin turned darker than it used to be where he originated from. In turn, this made his hair color contrast even sharper with his body color.
He has broad shoulders, a  muscled chest and muscled arms, due to his many hours of training and working out. His chest hair is abundant, but not very visible since it's the same light blond color as his hair. It makes his chest feel like soft fur.
His arms and legs have just as much body hair, but this is also not very visible since it's light blond. Though he's very muscled, his abs aren't very visible. He has by no means a belly, but a small layer of fat formed on his abdomen due to the regular meals he gets.
His hands are callused from the many years of wielding arms.
His legs are fit and lean. Where he came from horses were a rarity and his tribesmen were used to running and marching for days on end, making his legs lean, rather than very muscled.
Clothes: He wears the barest minimum of clothes, typically only loincloth, unless he's training or participating in the arena. There are two reasons for this; first of all, even after living in Rome for two years he's still not used to the heat, and secondly, it's custom. His tribe always went to battle nearly nude. (More about this in the biography.)
Blemishes: No tattoos. He has a several minor scars on his chest, from battle wounds. Due to the care his druid gave him these were kept small, rather than large. He had one large scar on his right leg from a Roman sword, and he has several minor scars on his arms and back from all the combat he saw. Carries the brand mark of the House on his right thigh.

Personality: Loyal to comrades; used to be good-natured; used to joke a lot; strategist; calculated; intelligent; vengeful; partially lost his will to live; religious; honorable; dominant; has trouble with authority; lives to die in battle; misses his family a lot; alcoholic.

Biography:
They say that only in battle warriors are born and only in battle true warriors die. For the tribe of Baersun this was very much true. When the Romans had conquered nearly all of North Europe, his people persisted, and for a while even thrived. Their unorthodox battle tactics were very tough for the Romans to deal with, and initially their resistance was too great to overcome.

The tribesmen of Baersun covered themselves in a combination of coal and mud before battle, blackening their bodies, so that only the white of their eyes, teeth and hair stood out, giving them a demonic appearance. The druids drugged them, which allowed them to enter a collective rage and armed with nothing but axes, swords and the occasional buckle, they charged the organized Roman armies nude. Their loud battle cries and the ferocious frenzy they attacked with, unsettled even the most veteran soldiers.

Due to the drugs and adrenaline that coursed through their body, they could sustain more wounds than the average man, before they went down in battle. Their greatest weakness was also their greatest strength; the lack of clothing and armor made them agile and flexible in combat, not being slowed down by any additional weight. The Roman battle tactics were not prepared to deal with this style of fighting, and it cost them dearly. In fact, it was only due to these fearsome attacks that the tribes of the north had survived for such a long time, but eventually even their will to die in battle couldn't stop the mars of the Roman campaign.

One by one their villages burned; their women were raped; and their children were enslaved. Most of the warriors were executed, and only a few were spared to serve as gladiators in the arena. Baersun was the cousin of their chief. He was taken prisoner after the few remaining tribes were overwhelmed by wave after wave of Roman auxiliary. His chief and sons were prized possessions for the Romans and displayed to the good citizens of Rome as trophies of war and crucified in the arena. Depending on how one looked at it, Baersun was luckier and instead sold as a slave to battle as a gladiator. This happened two years ago. Recently the house of Magnus purchased him to fight for the honor of Augustus Magnus.

Baersun's father was a druid, that served their god Woadan, which later became known as Woden, Wodan or Odin. As such, Baersun is deeply religious and also learned how to treat battle wounds and set broken bones. His people is familiar with stitching wounds, and his father had mastered a technique that allowed for wounds to heal with minimal scarring. In general scars were carried with pride by his people, but the danger of festering wounds was also recognized.

His religion revolves around combat and those who do not die in glorious battle will not go to Valhalla either. According to his religion, women and children that die do go to Valhalla. When Baersun was captured he was forced to watch his wife getting raped by the soldiers, and then later taken away along with his two children. According to the latest news he heard, they were brutally slaughtered a month later, when they tried to escape.

Most of his tribesmen were either killed in battle, or shortly afterwards. Only those who were relatively unscathed were saved. All those who sustained too many wounds to make them fit for the arena were crucified on the spot. The same happened to the elderly, like this father and mother.

As a result he carries a deep resentment against all Roman citizens in general, but especially their soldiers.

Baersun longs to see his wife and children in Valhalla, but knows that he can only die in honorable combat, if he wants to enter Valhalla. On the one hand, he lost the will to live, but on the other hand, he wants to live so he can kill as many Romans as possible before he dies himself. Dying any other way than in combat terrifies him.

Other: The tribe I described of Baersun actually existed in the past and fought the way as described as well, but I wasn't able to find details back of them. Without the drugs administered Baersun fights just like any other man and when he sustains wounds he won't be able to ignore them either. He has also taken to wearing armor in combat now. During his capture, he sustained a sword wound from a Roman sword, which didn't heal as well as his other wounds, since he had to treat it himself, rather than letting his father handle it. It gives him a slight limp and he's not been able to run as fast as before he sustained the wound. On particular cold days he feels the old wound better than on normal days.

Due to all he's been through, he tries to drink traumas away, and finds comfort in being drunk.

Caitlin

I hope my character won't be seen as overpowered, since he's not intended that way. The battle tactics of his people that I described, fit him as well and though he was a good fighter, he wasn't a superior fighter. I won't be portraying him as such in the Ludus either. In fact, he's likely a little slower due to an old wound on his right leg. He has to rely more on technique than pure power and stamina to win a fight. :-)

Caitlin

By the way, I can see regular clashes occur between Leonidas and Baersun, considering how he is a former soldier and a Roman. :-p

Good thing practice matches aren't seen as an honorable way to die, or you'd be in real trouble. -grins-

Down the line it could also result in a friendship between our characters though. :)

azzmeister89

wow now that is a good idea. thats one epic rivalry already, i wonder how many we can create

Caitlin

;D

Glad to hear so! The idea only just occured to me, but it'd make a lot of sense right?

Rivalry will only occur ICly though, I hope people will be able to distinguish in what I say ICly and OOCly. I don't want to end up creating drama either, but in my experience I find that rivalry can create a great story. Especially considering how my character is the 2nd oldest of them all. He'll see Leonidas as a rookie, while he saw plenty of combat himself and used to have a family. It's a completely different way of looking at life. Additionally, unlike Leonidas Baersun doesn't strife to become a free man and prefers to die in combat. That could cause additional tension. Not to mention, my character is more or less a barbarian lol. The more I think about it, the more my char appears to be an opposite. :-)

I hope Zaer Darkwail is up for some rivalry, it could add a lot of fun to the story. ^_^

azzmeister89

haha it will certainly make things more interesting, and the best part is it doesn't just have to end like that through combat, love, combat, the masters favor, there are so many things for the gladiators to compete over that everyone could end up with a rivalry with everyone else!

Caitlin

I wouldn't mind seeing some female slave rivalry and a mud pool... Ahem. ;)

-snickers-

azzmeister89

you bring the deck chairs and i'll bring the booze? :P

Caitlin

Deal. We just need to find some popcorn and it'll make for excellent entertainment. Us gladiators need some R&R from time to time as well, don't we? ;D

Blonde

And here is the OOC. Re-read the rules, there are some added ones. Mostly, make your first post in the OOC your completed character sheet.

I've suddenly found out I am on a 12 hour shift tomorrow, was hoping to get the IC sorted then. However, I will hopefully get it tomorrow night cause schedule gets a little more busy. But yeah, worry not guys.