[scrubs] - Hospital based RP - Interest thread

Started by Alias, March 15, 2015, 07:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alias

Welcome to the fictional world of Trinity Basin.

This idea is heavily inspired by the Television show; scrubs. I want this to be a sexier version of that theme with absolute roleplay freedom. I have this idea of character rotation that will keep every possible new player’s involvement easy to deal with, and flawless in execution. More on that later, for now, some meaty exposition.

Blossom County’s first hospital had been originally named “Holy Trinity, surgery and medicine.” Once in operation for 80 years, it’s recognition for having one of the best reputations in the state of California earned it a new name that was more representative of the area that it serviced. The Trinity Basin is a geographical formation. Cossula, Temoha, Tracer, Yula, Plateu and Gwenn County all reside in something akin to the garden of Eden. Based in the City of Araville near the center of the basin, the care at Trinity Basin was uncomparable to any other facility. Citizen’s from all over are willing to travel for proper medicine and helpful guidance. From Rosetown,  and Chello, stretching north to Reading, Gold Bluff, Patterson, the bustling county seat; Saldamento, The twin cities of Carysville, and Yula City; The poor and wealthy alike are welcomed to the enormous halls. This large population happens to be stuffed together along packed highways and beautiful stretching hills; just south of the mountains, and north-east of the Sonolla wine country.Trinity Basin Hospital is the creme de la creme for young doctors and veterans alike. To be a resident intern is the dream of all medical grad-students west of Texas.

This fictional world is built for one major purpose, to play out the private, and professional lives of young attractive doctors and nurses. I want the energy from that first season of scrubs, however I insist on creative freedom. I don’t want to force everyone that is interested to play a new intern doctor/surgeon. I don’t want there to be a designated doctor that makes life a living hell on one particlar hard-worker. And, in all likely hood, I do not expect there to be a janitor. If some one is hellbent on playing the chief of medicine, or even a hypochondriac that ends up spending more time at the hospital than they do at home or at work. I’ll encourage it. However, the most important thing about this creative freedom is to inspire collaboration.

I’m looking for a few people to get things started, but this is just a gauge of interest. I want to make sure that chemistry is moving correctly before we push forward. I’m not looking for a big game, something more manageable and intimate would be nice.

This would also be the first time that I ever hosted a roleplay like this. So I’m excited and nervous. With all of the good stuff up front, now.

The Fine Print

-Admittadly influenced by House as well, So  I’m VERY willing to bend the rules of logic and physics for the sake of entertainment and plot-work.

-good posts. I am being elitist, and I AM sorry about it. I know that some people are going to want to enjoy this world that I don’t want to be involved with. I hope you respect my preference to write with some one that makes me feel like I’m reading a book. I like lengthy posts, with detail and story development. I’m looking for a good group of writer’s as much as I’m looking for a sexy encounter with a doctor in the basement of a high-quality hospital.
-relatively frequent attention. I am asking for a little bit of time from everyone. This isn’t even a fair-trade thing. I’m not trying to make guilt-ridden enough to pay attention to every little word I write; or anything like that. I just ask for something that comes naturally to me; obsessive commitment. Joking! Just, passing commitment in-between our boring daily-escapades.

-a small group. I believe I mentioned it somewhere in the text above, but, I’m looking for four to six members of the group at first in order to keep everyone close, and keep everything from getting jumbled.

-We will be using real people as avatars, which will also mean that we will be using tags and at least five message boards to keep everything in order. I’ve learned everything I know from Orange Marmalade, he’s managed to run a group game of over 20 people. He didn’t train me, but I learned from him, and I have a very detailed idea of how the game will be formatted. The major rule to this format, real people, real photos, uniformed amazingness

-there’s probably more but I think I’m done for now.

The Magical Idea that I'm excited about
Let's start with a hypothetical to make things easy. These imaginary players control these imaginary Characters. The RP will revolve around these characters as they grow and change, and screw and fight with each other.
Danthegangstar - Nina Carpenter (star resident)
Phyllusdenver - Allison Good (struggling surgeon)
Graddiver33- Jordan Willis (head MD)
Perrycocker- Angela Wight (chief of medicine)
Greyghost9- Peter Curtis (hospital lawyer)

As these characters live their lives and communicate. The hospital that they work in will not be filled with random faces. See, I'm obsessive, and I'm excited about this idea. There will be almost 20 NPC's that I'll control in addition to the major character that I eventually create. Trust me, I can totally handle this. Every nurse and receptionist will have an actor/actress to match. This goes for NPC doctors, NPC surgeons, NPC attendants, interns, residents, and so on. For now, we'll just imagine them with names so that I don't make a longer list that doesn't matter. We'll say that there are 23 of them.

See, I'd like to see this game grow slowly and surely, and as new players work their way in, they can easily replace NPC's that don't matter, and step in just like a real work-place. I'm incredibly sure that this will work. I'm excited to see what all of the interested people come up with. I think it'll be fun!

Character Shett Template:
Yuhp, the template for your future character here at Trinity Basin is in the code below, go ahead, copy, paste, hunt for hours for the perfect picture, and shoot me a pm with the CS filled out. I'll read it. You get the idea. I don't write in second person very often. My apologies. The code!

[float=right][img]the picture for your character's url here[/img][/float]
[b]Character Name[/b]:
[b]Gender[/b]:
[b]Age & Date of Birth[/b]: (don't include year)
[b]Place of Birth[/b]:
[b]Ethnicity[/b]:
[b]Blood type[/b]: (I went there, it's a hospital, these people would know)

[b]Height/Weight[/b]: (in metric or pounds or whatever)
[b]Hair color/Eye color[/b]: (if different from picture or not)
[b]Physical Description[/b]: (feel free to describe your character in any way. Mostly use this space to differentiate your character from the photo that you are using for your character. i.e.- if you are using Taylor Swift for a face, but your character has a huge neck tattoo and a peg leg. This would be a great place to mention that physical distinction.)
[b]Personality Profile[/b]: (This could be one word if you want it to be, I do not encourage that, or this could be a thirteen page indulgence into the human psyche as it relates to your character's ego. besides the obvious though, feel free to elaborate about how this character might behave in the workplace. Try to avoid historical events of their past, that's for another place)

[b]Professional History[/b]: (your character's previous jobs and h/er education)
[b]Background Check[/b]: (other notable things about your characters past that have little or nothing to do with the career that s/he is pursuing at the hospital.)
[b]Medical History[/b]: (If relevant, has your character recieved any medical treatment in the past that wasn't mentioned before?)
[b]Sexual Orientation & History[/b]: (feel free to be vague here, sometimes mystery can be more sexy)
[b]Hobbies & Passions[/b]: (A career is one thing, sex, yadda yadda, what else does your character have going on?)

[b]Vices & Bad Habits[/b]:
[b]Other[/b]:

Alias

Technically, this is (not) a bump, cause I'll eventually use this space for organization

hopefully. Also, just read the one month rule out of paranoia. Turns out I was right to be paranoid. Yikes, a whole month. Sorry about that....

Alias

Bump, I waited so long to bump this, even I forgot about it.

xx all

Foxy DeVille

Rustic

I might be interested. Always loved scrubs. Not a fan of house so much though. Two very different shows.

Just not exactly sure what you're looking for. Are you controlling the characters you mentioned, and all the npcs?

I wouldn't  mind playing a new intern or patient.

Alias

It was silly of me to even mention House or Scrubs to be honest.

There are 10000 different things to write about in a hospital, and all kinds of different tones and themes would work inside of a hospital. It was almost three months ago when I thought of this. Just looking for interest to see if its worth building or not.

I do plan on controlling all of the NPC's, more importantly the NPC's will all be consistent with Character sheets of some kind. And all of them are completely replaceable.

Lady Kitsune

I might be interested in a nurse but they have more time on TV then in real life, LOL. :)
I am working on it, I swear!

Mellific

Quote from: Lady Kitsune on June 20, 2015, 03:30:30 PM
I might be interested in a nurse but they have more time on TV then in real life, LOL. :)

^ Isn't that the truth!

Pending the number of other interested people, I'm interested in this. I'll be keeping an eye out to see how things progress. I'd lean more toward playing a clerical role, if you're accepting people to fill such positions. If not, I could consider another.

O/O | A/A | MM

Alias

Character Sheet Code is at the bottom of the original post of this thread.

^^^^ Up There

It looks like interest is building slowly. So far, four people have expressed one thing or another

I would say that all are welcome, but the hospital cleric does come as off to me. I know I just mentioned that ALL kinds of tones can take place in a hospital. That occupation seems like a secondary character for sure. If you can convince me otherwise, I'm fairly lenient. PM me if you would about it, don't wanna clog the interest thread with too much legitimate discussion. :P

This brought up a question in my mind? 'Alias, can other people control NPC's as well as their main character role?' The answer is yes, of course. It would be lovely. But I would limit each player to three (3) NPC's, this is to allow for flexibility and freedom of expression. Even if someone controls three NPC's, I would still hope that they find their main character more interesting. Like, at least twice as interesting as all of their NPC's (combined). I won't really have a main character, I'll just be writing like twenty 'two-bit' flat roles with four or five particularly interesting and particularly active cutie pies.

Anyway!

I'll put together a code for a character sheet, so that I can start getting a better idea of what people are thinking.

Chrystal

This is an interesting idea.

May I make a few suggestions?

If you want characters to interact with each other, have them all in the same unit. The ER would be a good place, because it has people of all sorts of specialities, is very dramatic, and has a lot going on, plus the team is quite small and everyone knows everyone.

Otherwise, you could end up with people spread out all over a very big building - one person in X-ray, one in gynaecology, one in oncology, one in haematology.... etc... and they will never meet up.

NPC stands for Non-Player character, something people often forget! By allowing players to have "their own" NPCs, those characters become PCs, albeit secondary ones. If you want to allow players to have multiple characters, that's fine, but the characters should be played with equal emphasis. NPCs should either be played exclusively by the GM, OR be available to all players to take control of as needed.

Allow for drop-outs. Sadly it is a fact of life on E that most group games attract twice as many players as end up playing. If you want six, start with twelve! And make sure that people are aware that if they drop out, their characters WILL become NPCs in the game.

That said, I might be talked into creating two or even three different characters for this, one central and the others secondary...

I'm assuming, by the way that actually having any medical knowledge would be more of a hindrance than an asset? I might be interested in playing a doctor, possibly the harried and overworked receptionist in the ER (I keep wanting to say A&E which is what we call it over here), and maybe a paramedic who pops in from time to time to flirt with the nurses.

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Alias

nice to see your interest Chrystal. Having actual medical knowledge will help mostly with the creation and imagination of plots. You could help me think of realistic problems that our characters will face, and then writing the RP with a little fact bending here and there for enjoyments sake.

The more the merrier.

logistical responses

I was going to put everyone in the same unit. I just didn't have the knowledge to express it like that. Depending on the characters that people build, I'll slice a setting together that all of them use. In scrubs, the show that I had had on the background of my life to keep me company, the show is mostly in the ICU, when characters had to use other parts of the hospital for tests and other work, they would skip it if it was boring, and show it if they had an idea for comedy there. I wanted people to create characters organically before I forced them into any kind of box.

NPC, does stand for non-player character. Yes, I don't think I ever really knew that. lol. So, People can control up to four characters in this game. However, one of them will be an MPC (main-player character), and the other three will be SPC's (secondary-player characters). But the equal emphasis thing, I'll have to override there. The feel that I want for this rp will create a lot of two-bit characters, and if someone has an idea for a two-bit character, they are encouraged to share the idea. But, people are not encouraged to have a multiple MPC's, not to start. In the beginning, one MPC per player will help me regulate the rp much better.

Drop-outs were a key element to the creation of this idea. IF players drop out, their MPC's instantly become SPC's that I control. Some of their characters may even leave their employment at the hospital, or move to a different area away from the action. I totally realize that people come and go often, and my many-faced presence as 20-30 SPC's is designed to make player turnover almost entirely inconsequential.

:)

The paramedic that pops in from time to time is perfect for an SPC
The doctor and the ER receptionist both sound like MPC's but one of them could easily feature as an SPC.

very well written SPC's could likely end up becoming MPC's after a month or two of IC stuff. And then they could go right back to SPC, or they could even leave the game. This rp is designed to be very fluid and comfortable.

Chrystal

Quote from: Alias on June 23, 2015, 06:53:59 AM
nice to see your interest Chrystal. Having actual medical knowledge will help mostly with the creation and imagination of plots. You could help me think of realistic problems that our characters will face, and then writing the RP with a little fact bending here and there for enjoyments sake.

Nope, I have no actual medical knowledge. Sorry! My entire knowledge comes from whatcghing TV, movies and reading books, plus the internet, and the fact that I have an older sister who works in radiography - That's the one where they inhect you with something radioactive and use it to show up the problems. Oh and multiple visits to a hospital with my wife for blood tests and gall bladder removal, and a brief stint thirty years ago working in the Medical Engineering department of a local hospital...!

responses to responses...

QuoteI was going to put everyone in the same unit. I just didn't have the knowledge to express it like that. Depending on the characters that people build, I'll slice a setting together that all of them use. In scrubs, the show that I had had on the background of my life to keep me company, the show is mostly in the ICU, when characters had to use other parts of the hospital for tests and other work, they would skip it if it was boring, and show it if they had an idea for comedy there. I wanted people to create characters organically before I forced them into any kind of box.

Okay. Whatever works best for you. And actually, ICU could work as well as ER, depending on the characters. The only real snag is if you get someone submit a main character that seriously doesn't fit in the department you decide on, for example a midwife. But I thinknyour plan is good, and that is a bridge to be crossed when we get there.

QuoteNPC, does stand for non-player character. Yes, I don't think I ever really knew that. lol. So, People can control up to four characters in this game. However, one of them will be an MPC (main-player character), and the other three will be SPC's (secondary-player characters). But the equal emphasis thing, I'll have to override there. The feel that I want for this rp will create a lot of two-bit characters, and if someone has an idea for a two-bit character, they are encouraged to share the idea. But, people are not encouraged to have a multiple MPC's, not to start. In the beginning, one MPC per player will help me regulate the rp much better.

Ah, that works just fine. Will players be able to "borrow" another player's SPC? Just asking.

QuoteDrop-outs were a key element to the creation of this idea. IF players drop out, their MPC's instantly become SPC's that I control. Some of their characters may even leave their employment at the hospital, or move to a different area away from the action. I totally realize that people come and go often, and my many-faced presence as 20-30 SPC's is designed to make player turnover almost entirely inconsequential.

Good. I'm pleased you thought it out. (And seriously, it's not "if", it's "when").

QuoteThe paramedic that pops in from time to time is perfect for an SPC
The doctor and the ER receptionist both sound like MPC's but one of them could easily feature as an SPC.

Yep, the paramedic would be attached to one of the ambulances that serve the hospital and would only appear when her ambulance was delivering a casualty or doing a patient transfer.

The doctor... Still thinking about. I probably don't know enough medicine to pull it off successfully.

The receptionist could work in whatever department you choose to set the story in, sit behind a desk and try desperately to keep patients from becoming impatients, direct visitors to the correct place, and control the text-paging system, all while resisting advances from male doctors and flirting with the female ones!

I will give her some thought...

very well written SPC's could likely end up becoming MPC's after a month or two of IC stuff. And then they could go right back to SPC, or they could even leave the game. This rp is designed to be very fluid and comfortable.
[/quote]

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!