Welcome to Dobutsu Town! (okintsukoro/spincycle)

Started by okintsukoro, April 03, 2023, 09:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okintsukoro

Max stared at Citrus, a pit growing in their stomach as the bunny tried to draw their conclusions based on the letter. It was a reasonable conclusion to draw, for anything less would've seemed much more suspect, much less...respectable.

So when Citrus asked if she knew the sender of the letter, she slowly shook her head.

"...that's... what I wanted to tell you. I wanted to try and clear it up as soon as I got here. But I was too startled by everything and hit with so much all at once that I couldn't really speak. And... you know by now my trouble with speaking to strangers. It's... still kind of a miracle that I've opened up to you so soon. But I think it's because... you're the first aside from Isabelle who's been super kind to me. And... that sort of kindness deserves honesty. The truth."

They placed the letter down on the bed, while her face lowered to look down at her own lap, her hands folded tightly in it.

"...I tried to explain to Isabelle, but she was just so happy that a new mayor had finally come. She told me how she'd been running things on her own, how hard it was to do it all by herself, but that the idea that a new mayor would be arriving soon to take Mr. Tortimer's place was what kept her spirits high. After she told me all that... I couldn't bear to come forward with it."

She slowly looked back up at Citrus's eyes past her glasses, wondering what the bunny might think of her now.

"I wanted so badly to say this job isn't for me... I just wanted to move here as a citizen, not take on a huge responsibility like being a mayor. But... after hearing all of you be so supportive... and hearing how much you look forward to new and great things for this town... it just got me thinking. If I left, who would be here to help Isabelle? Who else would this town be willing to trust to be their new mayor? There was no telling if the person they were waiting for would come by. Sure I held out hope they might, that maybe I'd just be the interim and hold their position until the true mayor got here. But..."

Her eye narrowed down at the letter.

"...they're not coming."

After a few seconds to pause, she immediately went to punch the pillow on her side of the bed out of frustration, tears in the corners of her eyes.

"...they set me up! They must've seen me getting off the train! That's the only explanation! They must've known that the first person to enter Dobutsu station would've been seen as the new mayor!"

Punch. Punch. Punch. The pillow had a large, fluffy dent in the center of it now, with Max's fist still in the center of it.

"...Citrus, I... I hope you don't hate me. But I don't blame you if you do. If you feel like you've been tricked... at least we'll have that in common..." she spoke softly.

spincycle

Citrus stared blankly with furrowed eyebrows, swallowing before taking a seat beside Max. She chose not to interrupt the punching. The pillow wouldn't hurt anybody. Instead she crossed her legs and placed her hands on her knees. She would usually pat the human's back or something along those lines, but instead waited for Max to calm down.

"I don't resent you for that...not exactly your fault, y'know?"

She pushed her glasses up, but it was useless since she decided to stare down at the simple bedding. She fidgeted with a loose thread and thought about what the situation meant. She was almost embarrassed. Maybe she should have recognized what was wrong the moment the two bumped into each other. Some people were shy, sure. But maybe she should've recognized Max seemed more than a little bashful when she arrived.

But she pushed her embarrassment aside and decided to focus on what might happen now. She wouldn't share Max's secret, but maybe they would decide to come clean on their own. Maybe she'd move away. Maybe she'd promote Isabelle to mayor and skip town so she didn't have to worry so much about this place. But why would they care? Max wasn't obligated.

"Are you...gonna go? I mean...I guess you didn't sign up for all this. I don't want you to go. I like you a lot, y'know? But I would understand if you wanted to. Being thrown into being a mayor is hard."

She truly didn't want Max to leave. But even more than that she wanted Max to be happy here. People often came and went to Dobutsu, but few made an impression as quickly as Max did.

"If you don't wanna do this anymore, we can switch," she suggested.

"You be me and live here, I'll be mayor. I'm a native, I know lots of things about this place. I'll figure it out."

The suggestion was half genuine. Citrus wasn't a natural leader, but she was a reliable friend. One to do the heavy lifting if it would make someone else happy.

okintsukoro

Max slowly glanced up to look up at Citrus as she spoke. To hear the rabbit say that she had grown to like Max too had her flustered a little. Did that mean the feeling of being fast friends was mutual? That would be a huge relief to hear. After all, she had admitted to thinking Citrus was pretty cool. Certainly reminded her of the friends she used to have before they moved away from Bogstead. But Citrus was cool within her own right. As nice as her old friends were, none would be so bold as to lead a complete stranger around town, especially if they didn't think they were getting anything out of it.

Max's eyes went wide slightly when not only did Citrus think there was a chance that Max might still want to leave, but that she was already offering options for her to go to a less stressful life, for Citrus to take up the mantle as mayor. Almost instinctively, Max grabbed Citrus's paws, a little tight but not so tight to be uncomfortable.

"No!" she blurted out, staring at Citrus for a second before realizing what she did, clearing her throat and removing one of their hands from Citrus's paws. However, her right hand remained on the bunny's paws, grip much more loose than at the start.

"...I-I mean... no. You don't have to do that. I... know you said you wanted some change and excitement in this boring town, but I'm not sure jumping at the chance of being mayor would exactly be what you want. You'd be too busy doing mayor stuff to dig up fossils. And as soon-to-be mayor, I can't deprive Dobutsu of their best fossils expert, second only to the museum curator," she partially joked with a soft giggle, managing a small smile.

She was quick to lean in for a tight hug around Citrus's shoulders, nuzzling their cheek into the rabbit's fur.

"...I'm not leaving. And... I'm scared but... I want to be able to earn my keep here too. I'll admit... I don't think I'm good enough at collecting natural resources yet to get a whole lot on my own in the long run. I don't think I could make fishing or fossil-finding my job. So... I'll do it. For you, and Bob, and all the good people here, even the ones I haven't met yet. Besides... I'm just one letter away from being mayor anyways. And I think, maybe... I can do it... especially if I have a wonderful friend like you around."

She couldn't bring herself to let go of the hug just yet, settling for staying in it until Citrus made it clear she wanted some space.

spincycle

Citrus nodded as she returned the sudden hug, left ear twitching in admiration and piercing tingling as a result. She let the hug linger for a moment.

"For what it's worth, I don't think you have to earn anything. You can just be here with us. We already like you, y'know?"

Her cheeks warmed and she quickly became bashful. Like a switch flipped in her mind, she ended the hug and pulled back. But she was still smiling shyly as she started to scratch the back of her neck.

"But don't get too sappy or anything," she jokingly warned.

The bunny was easily embarrassed by affection, and preferred to express admiration in other ways. Her love language was helping others, acts of service she believed it was called. Passing Bob a napkin after he finished a snack. Offering to refill Lily's watering can. Dusting off fossils on display at the museum. Not much of a hugger, but willing to hug a friend if they wanted.

"If you think you can handle being mayor, then Bob and I will help you. We'll show you the basics of gathering resources. Mayoring is its own special job, but you'll need to know at least a little about the other jobs, y'know? But if you don't mind me asking, does nobody fish in Bogstead?"

She didn't want to embarrass the human for not knowing about resource collection. But it was hard to imagine meeting someone who wasn't familiar. This had been the way of life in Dobutsu as long as there had even been a Dobutsu. Did bigger cities rely on shops like Nookling Junction? But even that old store seemed too small for a city like Max's.

okintsukoro

Max sheepishly smiled when Citrus warned her not to get too sappy, her cheeks pink as she kept her hands in her lap once the hug was over.

"Sorry... But... thank you. So much. I'm so used to expecting no help from anyone. To get this much help after moving to a new town... even under these weird circumstances... it means a lot."

They stopped rambling when they realized Citrus asked if no one fished back in Bogstead. Max's left hand went to rub the back of their head nervously, maintaining that sheepish smile.

"Eheh... well... there aren't many left. From what I heard about my city's history, it used to be actual swamp land, with plenty of fish and bugs to catch. But over time, more people came, and they all wanted convenience over everything else. So more stores popped up, the demand for resources grew. But so much was built and so many people came that the resources started to go away, until the swamp was practically all dried up. Today it's basically like the downtown area here in Dobutsu, but bigger and with more shops and buildings all crammed together. More cars too."

She shook her head, sighing as she managed to look Citrus in the eye again, a little more relaxed now.

"...but... I promise that's not what I want for Dobutsu. I don't want it to be anything like Bogstead. After all, what's the point of moving away from home if I'm just gonna recreate it? But... you can see where I'm gonna need a lot of help learning about these things. I've seen bugs, but I don't usually try to catch them. The only time I've seen a fish close up was on a plate at a restaurant. And I've only seen fossils on TV. I didn't even know you could still dig for them if you knew where to look."

It was a little embarrassing, and maybe even a little depressing, admitting how little she knew about the average culture of Dobutsu.

"But," they added quickly, feeling a little proud of themself, "I did manage to buy a couple tools from the Nookling Junction yesterday. A shovel and a fishing rod. So... once I'm done going through all the urgent mayoral stuff, I hope I'll be prepared to learn everything I need to know."

spincycle

Citrus listened in awe with shimmering eyes as Max described her foreign home. Not being the best at things like catching bugs or fish was natural. Almost expected. But living your entire life without doing so was...strange. But she didn't think less of the human for her experiences. It was just a hard concept to grasp since Citrus had never been to such places. No fossils? Did they check? Or did they just place buildings over the soil and move on with their lives?

"Well, having your tools is the first step to doing it, I guess. We all started somewhere. We can teach you how to catch things and find fossils. Not just me and Bob, but everyone else here too. Everyone has their own thing they're best at, y'know?"

Which was entirely true. Lily is best at gardening. Bob is best at catching fish. Apollo is surprisingly good at catching bugs, very much to Amelia's dismay.

"You just have to know where to ask. The only thing none of us are good at is diving. I'm assuming nobody dives in Bogstead either. But animals don't like having wet fur. But you don't have any, so maybe you can become an expert at it one day! Ribbot wants to dive, but Isabelle had to ban him from the beach. For obvious reasons, y'know? He just loves a challenge."

She giggled as she thought about the frog's persistance.

"But starting small with fishing and digging is perfectly fine too. The only problem is that fossils might make you a lot of money. If you discover something new, you'll have to donate it. The museum doesn't pay. But doubles of things we already have are like, worth thousands of bells, y'know? But you'll want to make money to get on your feet. So Bob and I will start by teaching you to fish."

As much as she hated to admit it, digging fossils wasn't a good starting point for someone trying to stand on their own two feet in Dobutsu. She herself was a hobbyist. She knew more than the average citizen about dinosaurs, but still was lucky to find one fossil a week. Maybe Max would become a natural paleontologist and find a new fossil everyday. But until then she needed to make some cash.

"But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Mayor stuff first, the easy life second. Do you know what you'll say to Roscoe?"

okintsukoro

Max found it a relief that there was potentially a lot of willing teachers in town to show her how to live as a true citizen of Dobutsu. But when Citrus proposed that Max become an expert in diving one day, she rubbed the back of her head with a nervous laugh. Though, hearing about Ribbot's attempt at diving was a little funny.

"Eheh... I-I mean... I'm not too bad at swimming. I don't think I've ever actually gone diving though. I guess that does kinda sounds like fun. I've read all sorts of stories that described underwater as a 'cerulean kingdom, filled with rainbows treasures and lush alien forests'. It really does sound kinda magical down there. Actually... might be a good topic for my first novel: an underwater kingdom, following the adventures of a mermaid sorceress..."

She got a little too lost in her own thoughts for a moment before quickly snapping out of it when Citrus brought up fossil hunting. Apparently the museum didn't actually buy the fossils you found? She could only wonder how the museum made any money or stayed in operation. At least other places like Re-Tail were willing to buy fossils at a large price.

She nodded when Citrus eventually conceded that teaching Max to fish would probably be the best way to earn some spending money. It certainly sounded like the most reasonable course of action, and she'd be more than willing to learn. It would also be a good way to spend more time with Bob and learn about stuff he actually knew how to do.

She gave Citrus a wry smile upon hearing her ask about her letter to Roscoe.

"I... think I have a decent idea. He just wants an introduction letter, right? So... I'll put my best foot forward, give him a proper greeting and introduction that I couldn't when we first properly met," Max assured the rabbit. "But... I think I can leave that for tonight. The post office is open 24/7 luckily, so as long as I get it in before 6 AM tomorrow, it'll get delivered to Mr. Roscoe in time..."

She tilted her head at Citrus, kicking her feet a little. Now that all the business talk was out of the way, and Citrus had assured her she would keep her mayoral secret, she thought maybe it was about time they relaxed a little and just enjoyed themselves for a while.

"So... what do you usually like to eat, whenever Lily isn't making delicious apple pies? Is there a place where we can grab a bite or something?"

spincycle

"Well...not exactly. We don't have restaurants like you're probably used to. We all cook for ourselves. Food comes from Timmy and Tommy or trees, y'know? It's okay if you're not a good cook though. Bob isn't either, but he gets along fine. Probably because he's not a picky eater."

Citrus toyed with a loose thread on Max's duvet, but made sure not to damage it. She just twirled it while she spoke. But then it hit her. She had left out a staple of the simple Dobutsu lifestyle. Dropping the thread she sat up quickly.

"Oh! I totally forgot- we have The Roost!" she explained with wide shimmering eyes. The roost was popular among the people of the tiny town and Citrus was a regular. Just about everyone was a regular. Especially Isabelle, who always took her coffee to-go back to her desk. Before Max could ask questions about what in the world a 'roost' was, she excitedly pushed her glasses up her nose.

"The Roost is our coffee shop! This guy named Brewster owns it- he's really nice. You'll have to go meet him soon. You have plenty of signatures, but it's good to be friendly with the shopkeepers too. But also you should go anyway since the coffee is delicious. If you like coffee, that is."

She threw in the last part quickly, just to clarify Max was someone who liked coffee. Citrus loved coffee, but it had to be sweet. More milk than coffee. Coffee on its own was too bitter, and made her too jittery.

"It's not far from here, it's that cute little place we passed near the town hall. Brown with a little bird sign outside. Kinda looks like a big house, but that's the place."

okintsukoro

Max smiled sheepishly. Admittedly, they weren't the best cook themselves. So to hear that someone like Bob was getting along well without a strong ability to cook was definitely encouraging that they wouldn't simply thrive off of apples alone.

But as the bunny stood up, Max's eyes widened, now quite invested in this new place she brought up: the Roost. It certainly sounded like a very ritzy place, especially for such a small, secluded town. But it didn't surprise her that even the residents knew this owner by name. It really did seem like everyone was on a first-name-basis here, even the shopkeepers.

"Eheh... I actually like mocaccinos with plenty of cream myself. It was kind of my addiction back home. Coffee shops are the best place to find a quiet space to write if you didn't want to be at home all day," Max informed, already smiling at the idea of visiting this place. She slid off the bed to stand up alongside Citrus.

"Well, how about I treat you to a coffee then? As thanks for helping, as well as keeping my secret. I may not have a steady income yet, but I've got plenty saved up. If I can get a house here for 10,000 Bells, then I think I'll have enough money to last me until I can learn how to fish and do other things." She'd walk over to the front door and opened it, allowing Citrus to lead the way.

Meanwhile, at the Roost, slow jazzy music was playing while a green pigeon stood behind the main counter, cleaning out coffee cups. Along the walls were pictures of old Roost locations, including one where Brewster was stood next to the indie sensation, K. K. Slider.

He'd been in this particular town for about five years or so, having been in the business for nearly his whole life. The life of the big city just didn't catch him so much. It was a bit too fast-paced, too competitive for his tastes. He knew K. K. saw it too, but his particular vocation meant that it hit his wallet harder. K. K. couldn't just be a travelling bard who gave out his music for free all the time. Eventually, he would have to get something steadier. Last he heard, he'd been advertising himself as a DJ for clubs and special occasions. It certainly had the pigeon nostalgic for the old days, when K. K.'s music would grace his humble establishment.

But, he would not let that affect his work. For he was a very professional barista, and the satisfaction of the customer, and the quality of the coffee, always came first.

spincycle

Citrus led her new friend into the establishment and made a straight shot to the bar. She loved the atmosphere of the cafe, its jazzy environment matching Brewster's energy perfectly. High class, but relaxed and smooth at the same time.   

"Don't worry about the money too much. Only 200 bells," she mumbled in Max's direction.

Citrus took her usual seat at the very end of the bar, giving a cheery but casual wave to the bird working behind the counter. She always sat nearby, always hoping to get a story out of the bird. After all, he knew the K.K. Slider. He was one of the very few in Dobutsu who did. Citrus sometimes offered a tip in exchange for stories about her favorite musician. When she was broke, she offered dinosaur facts. The barter wasn't always successful.

"Hi, Brewster! I'll have my usual please!"

She kicked her feet back and forth excitedly as she watched the preparation of her order. Blended roast, no sugar, extra milk. Her mouth was already watering, but she stopped daydreaming about the taste when she realized she forgot to introduce Max. The two were becoming close so quickly that she found herself forgetting that Max was still a stranger.

"Where are my manners? I didn't bring Bob today- it's his nap time. This is Max! She's gonna be our new mayor, y'know? She'll want a coffee too. Mocha something...I forgot already."

She put her elbows on the counter and rested her head in her hands. Knowing so few cities, she couldn't help but daydream that maybe K.K. and Max bumped elbows before. Unlikely, but a silly thought for the bunny to have. She'd bring it up another time, but until then she waited for the human to give her own order.

okintsukoro

Max was quick to follow after the golden bunny, happy to walk at a more leisurely pace now that there was no rush to obtain signatures. However, her eyes widened a bit when Citrus mentioned the price of one cup of coffee.

Only 200 bells?! Back home it'd be close to 600 or 700!!

But the shock on their face was quickly replaced with a warm sense of awe the moment she got a good look inside. The interior seemed to be decorated in warm colors fitting the equally warming cups of coffee. The scent of freshly ground coffee beans was strong. Max almost felt like she was stepping into someone's well-loved home instead of a business where people came and went in droves on the daily. She'd gotten so distracted by the atmosphere that she almost didn't see Citrus take a seat. But just as Max took her own beside the rabbit, her eyes drifted up to the calm, professional bird, eyes obscured by his glasses while it seemed he was already in the midst of making Citrus's usual.

As Citrus gave her greeting, Brewster gave her a respectful nod in the midst of making her order. As soon as he was done mixing in the milk, he'd walk over and gently place the saucer and cup before her, her cup steaming hot still.

"It's at the perfect temperature to draw out the taste...175.38 degrees Fahrenheit. Here you are," he insisted, his voice a calm baritone, soft on the ears. It was as he put it down that he heard her introduce Max. He figured she would have introduced them sooner or later. After all, he could tell Max was a new face. Still, it wasn't often he got a new customer, and especially not humans. Humans, for one reason or another, always liked to go to those larger cities. Far too noisy and competitive, no time for rest or relaxation. Perhaps Max, too, also saw this.

But as Citrus's words trailed off when they forgot Max's order, he turned his attention to the shy human, who seemed to be a bit unsure of what they wanted. He gently tapped on the chalk board that hung behind him, indicating how he took orders.

"Choose any combination you'd like, and I'll make it for you. Please, take all the time you need," he insisted.

Max's eyes was wide when she listened to Brewster's tone. He wasn't just saying that to be nice; she could tell he truly had an amazing amount of patience. He probably needed it, to deal with any sort of customer that might come his way. Surprisingly, the patience in his tone was enough to coax Max to actually speak, when usually she'd have trouble doing so with strangers.

"Um... can I have... Mocha... two spoons of sugar... and a so-so amount of milk? Please?" she asked softly. Again, Brewster gave that respectful nod.

"Understood. Wait just a moment..." As he started to get out the ingredient for a mocha, he spotted Max taking out four 100-bell coins.

"...the cost for a cup of coffee is 200 bells..." he attempted to correct her gently, to which Max nodded in understanding.

"I know... I'm paying for Citrus's too," she insisted.

"Hmm... how generous of you," he noted before returning to making the cup. However, as he was making it, Max's attention was drawn to some clear casings that were holding what appeared to be sandwiches and other baked goods in the back.

"Um... are those for sale as well?" Max managed to ask, glancing between Brewster and the clear glass cases.

"Hm?" Brewster took a moment to lift his head and look behind him before nodding at the two of them. "Right, I'd almost forgotten. Timmy and Tommy stopped by earlier today. They told me that since there's been an increase in demand for places to eat out, they'd be willing to provide my shop with baked goods and sandwiches to sell, provided they get 50% of the profits. I told them I would have to see if their words rang true for the people of this town first. Not everything is as fast paced as their world of business... So to answer your question, yes, they are for sale. They are also at 200 bells a piece."

Max was once again in absolute shock. How could this man, this pigeon, afford to sell things so cheap?! Still, she was not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, taking a glance over at what was in the case.

"Could I have... that cheese sandwich and blueberry muffin?" Max asked before looking towards Citrus. "Do you want anything? I'm still paying."

spincycle

Citrus blew cool air towards her coffee before cautiously sipping it. Brewster always seemed to be right about the temperature being perfect for the taste. But it was simply too hot for her to even drink. So she always tried to cool it down while the pigeon was looking the other way. She wiped the back of her paws against her lenses to clear them of steam. But when she could see again, she leaned onto the counter to see the display of food. Of course, on the one day she didn't make Bob tag along there was food involved.

"Carrot cake muffin, please. But next time, I'll pay for sure."

She sipped cautiously at her drink again while being served her snack. She nodded at Brewster to thank him for the service, mimicking his mannerisms. In general, she was more hyper than the bird. She always had to remind herself to tone it down. To match the jazzy and sophisticated energy he worked so hard to fill the establishment with.

"Timmy and Tommy are always sniffing out new business," she stated factually, but not to be rude. "I'm surprised they didn't try this sooner, y'know? Do you think they'll wanna sell food here forever, Brewster?"

She finished her question by taking a bite out of her muffin. She hummed delightfully before dusting the fallen crumbs from her lap.
"How's your coffee, Max? Is it better than Bogstead coffee?"

Before she could listen to Max's response, she had already turned her attention back to the pigeon behind the counter. Citrus seemed to be getting good at sniffing out opportunities to tell others about her new friend. Just as quickly as the facade started, she dropped her cool and casual act. She couldn't help it. She seemed to be drawn to city-dwellers and loved to annoy them.

"Max is from Bogstead. Do you know that place? It's a big city like where you're from."

okintsukoro

Max nodded in agreement, putting out the 600 bells on the counter. Once Brewster would finish making the cup of coffee, he'd set it carefully in front of Max before turning to fetch the items in the display case.

Brewster did his best not to outwardly exhale through the nostrils of his beak. He'd heard Citrus blowing on it, but of course, said nothing of it. All customers have different tastes, after all, even if it wasn't optimal. And so long as Citrus never complained about the taste, he'd allow it. When he returned to the front with their pre-packaged items, he laid them out on the counter before carefully collecting the bells.

"Coo... thank you," he told Max. As he started to put the coins away in the register, he listened to Citrus's comments about Timmy and Tommy. Indeed, the two took after their adoptive 'uncle', taking on all sorts of business opportunities any chance they got. Not to mention, they were still children. It was really hard to say no when the one asking for your business was a child. But upon hearing her question about the fate of the food display, his voice remained calm, as if nothing about this phased him.

"That won't be up to them. But if you and everyone else enjoys having things to eat to go along with your coffee, then I will consider being in perpetual partnership with the young tanuki twins, for as long as no one complains about their goods. I prioritize quality in what I serve to my customers, after all... It's the sort of integrity you'd be hard pressed to find in a large city."

Max seemed a little sheepish about Brewster's comments about the big city. Despite his even tone, it almost seemed as if he had a small chip on his shoulder when it came to that particular subject. But, she'd take this moment to take a sip from her coffee, only to realize too late that it was a little too hot for her. Luckily, only a small part of her tongue was burnt, but from what she did taste, it was actually really good. She glanced in Citrus's direction upon hearing her question, smiling sheepishly.

"It might be... I think I'd have to come here a couple more times to say for sure..." Max admitted. At the very least, Brewster would definitely have a new customer coming in regularly. But just as she said that, she realized Citrus was already speaking to Brewster, leaving her a little flustered as she returned her attention to her coffee, as if to pretend she didn't actually say anything.

Brewster was starting to wipe down a portion of the counter when Citrus asked if he knew about Bogstead, eliciting a small hum from the pigeon.

"I've heard of it. Never been. But I'm sure it's just like any other big city..." He went quiet for a moment, and in that silence, Max wondered if maybe he harbored any ill will towards those who came from big cities. But as he went to put the rag in the dirty hamper to wash later, his glasses glinted when he turned to look at Citrus.

"Actually, I've just remembered something. You like to dig for fossils, correct, Citrus? If you'd humor me, I'd like to ask a favor of you..." he told the bunny, causing Max to blink as she turned to look in Citrus's direction. She must've been really popular at the Roost for the owner to speak to her so casually.

spincycle

Citrus sipped at her coffee again with a smile. She clung to every word Brewster said. Always did. She envied his cool but inviting tone. But then he said it. The magic words: 'dig' and 'fossil.'

Citrus's eyes lit up and she stared at the pigeon. Honestly, it was about time her work was recognized.

"Anything. I can find anything. With enough time that is..."

Citrus did know a lot about finding fossils and where to look. But the process was slow and tedious sometimes. Digging was a lot of work for one rabbit, especially when her sidekick Bob would have nothing to do with physical labor. Fossil hunting also took time because she had to cover the holes in the ground just as quickly as she made them. If she left them around, Roscoe would be upset when he inevitably stepped in one. She didn't know how upset he'd be, but she didn't want to find out. Which is why she never dug near his house, despite the untapped gold mine of fossils she theorized were in his yard.

"What are you looking for? I already have my shovel. Never leave home without it, y'know?"

She finished her snack quickly and washed it down with another sip of just-a-little-too-hot coffee. She couldn't think of a time when Brewster had asked for a favor from her before. Her admiration for him and his relaxed attitude made her eager to be at his service. Stopping by the Roost was her second favorite part of her day, the first being her daily visit with Blathers.

okintsukoro

"Mm...coo. It's nothing you need to go out of your way for. But... if you happen to go digging for fossils in the rain, but find something else that may be... interesting... I'd very much appreciate it if you could bring it to me. I'd be willing to trade for what you end up finding," Brewster cryptically explained.

Admittedly, this had Max's curiosity also piqued, glancing back at Citrus before tilting her head at Brewster.

"What... sort of 'interesting thing' are you hoping Citrus will find...?" Max asked slowly.

Brewster glanced over at the human. "Coo? Have you not seen one before? Perhaps not. One moment..."

He took a moment to wander into a back room, supposedly where he lived when he wasn't working. But eventually, he'd come out and place something very peculiar on the counter.

It was a tiny little humanoid object, with a face and arms. It was mostly made of up of shades of brown, with vague hints of reds and greens scattered throughout. While Max's gaze was still on it, Brewster gave the figure a gentle tap on its head, causing it to shift suddenly into a new position. Max let out a small yelp as they leaned back away from it. But, upon seeing it was staying in place, just moving seemingly erratically, Max slowly settled back into her seat, still looking as confused as ever.

"This is a gyroid. It's a personal hobby of mine to collect them. I find them very fascinating. I've heard that, in ancient cultures, these sculptures were used in a variety of rituals. They were meant to act in place of worshippers, and would dance to the beat of the drum. As you can see, they do have a rhythm. In my time collecting them, I've learned that they do, in fact, move in tune with whatever music happens to be playing nearby."

Interested in Brewster's description of the dancing figure, they started to pay closer attention to when it moved. Sure enough, the gyroid moved in slow motions, making almost maraca-like sounds whenever it moved. It was as if it became another instrument to add to the jazzy music that already filled the place.

spincycle

Citrus stared at the gyroid with her jaw hanging open. Whatever this...thing was had caught her attention. It was strange looking. Silly, almost. It left her with more questions than answers. How did it know when to move? Could it hear? That couldn't be right, because that would mean it was alive. It wasn't alive, right? How did the arms even have the ability to move on their own? Were they buried intentionally or by the sands of time? What exactly were they praying to?

Each rhythmic tick and turn the mysterious object did made one of the bunny's ears twitch. She began listening to the slow music, which she usually ignored. Counting the beat with the twitch of an ear proved that the gyroid was in fact dancing along.

"You found this thing, Brewster? Just out digging one day?" she inquired.

"I've never been digging in the rain. I hate having wet fur, y'know? I can't be out in the rain for more than 10 seconds without my umbrella."

She grimaced at the thought, but then began weighing her options. She could be indoors when it rained and out digging in the smothering sun. Or she could be miserable in the rain and a proud owner of whatever this thing was. Suddenly the rain didn't seem so bad. Most of all, she couldn't let Brewster down. She thought too highly of him. She couldn't have him thinking that she was too scared to be up to the task. So she stopped counting the beat and looked up at the pigeon above the gyroid.

'But I could totally do it!" she quickly added.

"I mean, a small price to pay for getting to learn about whatever a gyro is. Right, Max?"

She turned to ask her friend for encouragement with furrowed brows and a conflicting smile. Brewster's approval was nice, but not entirely enough to convince her to purposely get muddy.

okintsukoro

Brewster gave a small nod to Citrus's question. "Back in one of my old haunts, when I used to grow my own coffee beans, I was out collecting the beans from my garden when my shovel hit something. That's when I found my first gyroid. I've been trying to unlock their mysteries ever since."

Upon hearing Citrus's aversion to digging in the rain, he gave another understanding nod.

"Coo... it's alright. If the rain bothers you too much, you might get lucky after it stops raining, so long as the ground is still decently damp. I don't know why, but it just seems much easier to find them either during or right after it rains," he explained.

Max nodded when Citrus turned to address her, having finally finished her mocha and was slowly making her way through her cheese sandwich. "I mean... I could always hold an umbrella out for you if you decide to go digging. I wouldn't mind," she offered.

But she turned her head when she heard an unfamiliar sound.

It turned out Brewster had a soft, good-natured chuckle after hearing Citrus call it a 'gyro'.

"Gyroid, Citrus. And again, there is no rush or urgency in this. Just... something to keep in mind. I know you've liked to attempt to barter with me in exchange for stories about K. K. Slider. I just thought I'd give you an opportunity, is all."

Max's eyes widened, glancing between Citrus and Brewster with disbelief. "He has stories about K. K. Slider?" He may have been an indie performer, but his fanbase was fairly far reaching. Even in the big city, Max had come across people attempting to play his songs on the guitar. He was like a wandering myth and legend. She'd never been to any of his concerts, but she'd heard a few of his songs in passing, supposedly. It'd be amazing if she ever got to meet him in person.

spincycle

Citrus noticed the look on Max's face at the mention of K.K. Slider.

"Do you know K.K. Slider? Brewster does from when he lived in a city. Has he ever been in Bogstead?" she wondered excitedly.

How cool would it be if she now had two buddies who knew the musician? Or at the very least, a new friend she could bond with over their mutual love for good music. Even if she and Max had different tastes in music, K.K. seemed to be a natural at sampling all sorts of different genres. He had a song for just about everyone. Maybe that's how he made himself known. He'd travel to a new region, get a feel for what was popular there, and then go somewhere else to restart the process. Sometimes, Citrus liked to wonder what kind of music he'd write if he came to Dobutsu. The town wasn't exactly known for its musical culture. Probably why she had never spotted him in the wild.

"Say, Max. What if we go gyroid hunting sometime? I can teach you about digging, and if we find one of those things we can give 'em to Brewster, y'know. Then maybe he'll convince K.K. to come play music for us. Wouldn't that be cool?"

She looked back at Brewster and sheepishly explained that she was only a little serious. She'd still be up for the task if it meant more storytelling. Beggars can't be choosers, so Citrus would be willing to settle for a new tale. She finished her coffee, now cool enough to enjoy without risking the safety of her tongue.

okintsukoro

Max laughed a bit nervously, quickly shaking her head. "No no no no, I haven't actually met the guy... dog? I've seen a couple of his records being sold at the corner of small music stores. Back in school, I've always passed by somebody attempting to learn guitar by playing one of his latest singles. I've listened to a lot of K. K.'s songs that way. I've always heard of him, but I've never seen him, never known any concerts he could've held. I wasn't even sure if he was actually a dog or if he was even real at all."

"Hm." Brewster gave a small nod towards Max. "Well, I can tell you right now: he is in fact real. Real, passionate, genuine. A true artist in every sense of the word."

Max had the same sparkles in her eyes that Citrus had earlier, completely in awe of hearing that this K. K. Slider was in fact a real person. Brewster made him sound like an amazing person to get to know. Was it possible to meet him one day? Citrus seemed to think so. And upon hearing her request to go gyroid hunting, she nodded in agreement, smiling widely. Admittedly, she was getting quite excited to hear more about this K. K. Slider person, why their songs were so widely dispersed, what they did, and more importantly, where they are now.

Brewster nodded towards Citrus, even after she hastily explained that she was mostly joking. "If the chance ever arises for us to cross paths again, I'd very much love to tell him that he has at least three big fans in Dobutsu who'd love to see him perform."

With everything settled, Max slowly slid out of her stool, taking her muffin to go as he bowed her head a little towards Brewster. "Thank you very much for everything. I'll be sure to come back soon." She glanced back at the yellow rabbit with her silvery blue eyes. "I think I'm gonna head home, decompress, and get to work on that letter to Mr. Roscoe. Thank you so much for everything today, Citrus. If I'm not too busy, I'd love to hang out with you again tomorrow."

With that, she waved good-bye to the two of them, leaving Brewster to glance over at Citrus.

"Quite an interesting person we're about to have for a mayor. If I may ask, what do you think of her?" he asked softly, rinsing out and cleaning out the cup and saucer Max left behind.

Meanwhile, Max had come back home to three new letter in her mailbox, from Bob, Lily, and Citrus. Lily's letter was the promised recipe for her apple pie, which Max was happy to stow away for safe keeping. They were more than happy to start reading the reply letters from her new friends, giggling a little to herself when she started reading Bob's. She can already tell, she was going to have fun having them both for pen pals, even though they were practically next door neighbors.

'Dear Bob,
Rocky road and chips sounds like an interesting combination! Maybe one day I'll get a chance to try. I used to read comic books for a while, but lately I've been more into short novels. The latest one I've read was called 'Mount Battery', where a group of friends go on a quest to replace a special battery to return power to their mountain home. There's a special twist at the end that I won't spoil, but I have the book if you're interested in borrowing it. After you left, we went to go see Mr. Roscoe. He's... not as scary as I thought he was. Still kinda scary, but not super scary, if that makes any sense. Anyways, hope you had a good nap.
Your soon-to-be mayor,
Max
PS. Did you know the Roost is stocking food now for 200 bells per item? So cheap!'

After writing her reply letter to Bob, Max felt a little more calm, a little more at peace. With that done, she felt she had the drive to finally make her introduction letter to Roscoe.

'To Mr. Roscoe,
Greetings and salutations! My name is Max, a human from Bogstead. I like writing and would love to become an author one day. But until then, I'm looking forward to be the mayor of the people of Dobutsu, assuming you're willing to give me a chance. I know it's a lot, to ask to trust a stranger you only met a couple days ago to try and make decisions that benefit the town. But I promise that with everyone's help, I'll do my best to keep the town of Dobutsu a wonderful place to live. I want to listen to everyone's opinions and feedback, so I can learn the needs of the people. But, more importantly, I already love this place as it is, I've grown to like a lot of people here, and I don't want to let anyone down. So please, if you're willing to give me a chance, then I would be eternally grateful if you could sign my petition as soon as possible.
Deepest regards,
Max'

Was it a little stiff? Perhaps. But this was the best she could come up with. She could only hope it was enough. With the letter out of the way, she got to work on her letter to Citrus.

'Dear Citrus,
I had a wonderful time today. As stressful as it was, I had an amazing time learning about everyone and having fun with you and Bob. I'm sorry I dropped that bombshell on you before, but I'm glad I could trust you with that secret. I don't think it'd go over well for my position as mayor if people found out. I still can't believe Brewster knew about K. K. Slider, and is willing to share stories for showing him gyroids! I gotta admit, I kinda want one now. They're just so neat looking. Anyways, I just finished my letter to Roscoe. So with any luck, I'll officially be mayor soon. I'm scared, but I'm glad I have a good friend like you to help me along the way.
Looking forward to spending more time with you,
Max'

It was only when she reached the end of that letter that she had a small epiphany: Why not send mail to everyone? Get to know everyone through the mail system?

She'd spend the rest of her evening writing letters to everyone she had met that day. She'd asked Ribbot about his workout routine. She'd thank Lily for the apple recipe. She thanked Amelia for the outfit, as well as for taking her to see Apollo. Max hesitated a little on what to write in Apollo's letter, but eventually settled on a thank you for his signature, and an offer to help in his garden. With everyone accounted for, Max took all her letters to the post office, where Phyllis nonchalantly  scooped them into a red bin for Pete to deliver later.

Max would return home oddly exhausted collapsing into her bed after she turned the lights out.

-------------------

The next morning, there was a knock on the door. Max had only just gotten washed and dressed when she walked up to the door with a yawn. The second she opened it, she froze, seeing bright red eyes staring down at her.

"Morning. So... I read that letter you sent." He shrugged. "...eh, a bit stiff, but good enough for me, nay. I can tell you were tryin'. Still got that petition?"

Max fumbled and stumbled a bit as she made a 'wait here' motion with her hand before rushing inside to grab the clipboard, handing it over to him so he could finally fill out the final spot. Once he signed in a nice, legible style, he handed it back, hoof on his hip.

"... Listen. I've sorta been actin' as Dobutsu's 'shadow mayor' for a while, ever since ol' Tortimer was on his way out. I really care about this place. I just wanted to make sure our next mayor did too." His words were gruff, but soft. He scoffed a bit, glancing a bit in the direction of Citrus's house. "...already fast friends with the rabbit. She's an energetic one, can hardly keep up with all that she gets into. But... as much as it pains me to say, we kinda need more people like her. People who are all about discovering new things. And it really looks like she trusts you..."

He turned his red eyes to glare down at Max, his sclera looking as if they glowed yellow as they did so. "...can I trust you not to betray that trust?"

Max's eyes were wide, a shiver of fear going down her spine as she quickly nodded, too scared to actually speak once more.

The dark horse smiled almost instantly at that, eyes shut happily. "Well, then that's all I need. You have a good morning then... Mayor Max."

Max nodded slowly and waved good-bye as the old horse finally started to walk away, leaving a petrified Max to watch him go about his morning walk once more.

spincycle

After Max parted ways, Citrus nearly talked Brewster's ear off. She answered his question honestly, spilling why she liked Max and all the interesting facts she had learned from the new human. She was itching to share the new secret with someone, but kept her word and didn't mention it. Although, Brewster was reserved enough to not spread the word. It made her worry a bit about whether or not Max could stick out her unprecedented job. But for some reason, Citrus trusted her. She had Max's word that she would earn a spot in the town. It just seemed so bold for someone so timid. Most people contributed to the community by gardening or baking or selling goods. But mayoring was something nobody new had signed up for as long as the bunny could remember. But Citrus thought Max was wonderful, and didn't really doubt her abilities. The bunny could easily be convinced that Max hung the stars in the sky each night, if the right person told her so.

So she finished telling Brewster about Max's previous arrival and potential future projects. She tipped him with the few bells sitting in her coin purse and a fact about fossils before parting ways. Tipping wasn't required, but Citrus became obsessed with the idea since Brewster explained its significance in larger cities. She spent the rest of her day reading on Bob's couch while the tomcat watched TV.

The next morning, she woke up earlier than usual and had her morning tea while she waited for the sun to finish rising. She needed all the light she could get, since she would be excavating today. But first she checked her mailbox for a letter from Max- and look! There's one now! She hastily read the letter and began a responding note of her own as she sipped her tea.

"Dear Max,
I've had an amazing time too! I can't wait to find gyroids with you. I'll let you keep the first one we find, then we can give Brewster the next. But shhh, it'll be our little secret. Speaking of which, I promise not to tell anybody what you told me. Even if I really want to. I'm an expert secret keeper. In return, I'll tell you a secret of my own. I sleep with a night light - I'm afraid of the dark. Now we're even! Although mine seems less serious.

Anyway, you'll be mayor in no time. Roscoe is just tough on you because he cares about this place. Maybe even as much as I do. That's a lot. Let's hang out again real soon! Tell me all about the letter you wrote to him!
Your new right-paw rabbit,
Citrus"

She made a quick stop to give an unenthused Phyllis her letter to be sent off. She later found herself examining the soil near Amelia's house. The two exchanged waves when the eagle spotted Citrus in her yard. They had a mutual agreement that digging was allowed there, as long as Citrus cleaned afterwards. But after an hour or so of zero leads, she decided to go visit Blathers. Maybe he could point her in the right direction.

As she crossed the stone bridge spanning the stone town's river, she found herself side-by-side a certain steed. She smiled awkwardly in Roscoe's direction, dusting the dirt from her clothes and hoping he wouldn't point out that she had gotten dirty. She slowed down just enough to give him a respectful bow and a "good morning," but then hurried past him. From the northern side of the bridge, she spotted Max outside her home. She considered it perfect timing and rushed over to her new friend.

She wiped dust from her lenses as she smiled and waved at Max.

"Good morning! You're up early. Did you sleep good?"

okintsukoro

Just as Max was taking some time to decompress and look over her finally full petition sheet, she glanced up in time to hear Citrus calling out to her, a relieved smile on her face. She couldn't help herself. As soon as Citrus was close enough she ran up and hugged them tightly for a few seconds. Once they finally let go, they backed off a step to properly hold out the clipboard.

"We did it... all the signatures are here," she spoke softly as she started to tear up. She didn't mean to, but it had been such a stressful journey, and she was just so relieved. Quickly, she wiped away her tears.

"I think... I think I just need to bring this to Isabelle and that's it... I'm officially gonna be mayor...." Their body was shaking. It was still scary, taking on such a huge job. But she meant what she said to Citrus: she wasn't going anywhere. At least, not without a proper replacement. Not just forcing Isabelle or Citrus into it. They couldn't bear putting someone in the same, sudden position as Max was.

With a sniffle and a nod, they took in a deep breath.

"...okay. I'm... I'm okay. I got a decent amount of sleep, I think. I was... really nervous about today. But... I think that's just gonna be every day until I get the hang of all this," they chuckled a little. "But... I think I'll just... get this over with. Hopefully..." They turned their attention to the town hall. It looked so big and intimidating to her, even in this small town. But even so, she started to take a couple steps towards it before glancing back at Citrus.

"I'd... I'd love the company, if you'd like to come with me to see Isabelle," she spoke softly, offering a hand if they wanted to hold hands. If not, Max would just start walking, trying to put on the bravest face they could as they went through the front doors.

They saw Isabelle, as well as the mayor's desk behind her. She remembered what Isabelle said: 'If it's mayor business, sit in the mayor's chair'. So she walked past Isabelle, causing the dog to perk up and turn around just in time to see Max seat herself down.

"Oh! You're sitting down! Does that mean...?!" Isabelle began just as Max held out the clipboard to her, allowing Isabelle to take it with stars in her eyes.

"It does!! Oh, congratulations, Mayor Max! I knew you could do it! So quickly too! Well, there's only one thing left to do now!" She went into the back closet, taking out what appeared to be a large tree sapling. "We've got to hold the ceremony!"

spincycle

Citrus hugged her friend back just as tightly before letting go to jump up and down. She knew Max could do it; and she made sure to let them know that. She shook Max's shoulders (maybe a little too roughly) and grinned.

"This is so exciting! Welcome to your new life!" she exclaimed.

She was thrilled by the possibilities both Max and Dobutsu now had. It was about time someone new spruced this place up a bit, and if Max had gotten the town's approval so quickly, then who else for the job? The bunny held Max's hand and basically skipped alongside them towards the town hall. Although she was in a hurry to see what would come next, she let Max into the building first. She stood by Isabelle's desk- the farthest she had been inside the town hall. She let Max take the rest of the trip to the mayor's desk alone, giving her space to really bask in the first time experience.

She clapped excitedly when Isabelle brought out the young sapling. Although the feeling was bittersweet for her. Change was good, and Max seemed like good change, but just a week ago the old tree in the plaza was cut down. Surely the wood will be used for something practical. But Citrus couldn't help but think of how that was the plaza tree for so many before her. Her family before they moved. Those who stopped in Dobutsu for a few months before heading towards bigger things. She was sad to see it go, but ready to move on all the same.

"This is so exciting! I've never seen one of these ceremonies. We should have party poppers, y'know? With confetti and maybe balloons and party hats. Or is that too much like a birthday party?" she stopped to tap her chin and wonder. But that thought trailed off pretty quickly. Before anyone could answer, she was stepping backwards to the exit.

"I'll go get Bob! And Lily! And everyone else! You guys go ahead and get ready- I'll meet you in the plaza in ten minutes, y'know?"

Then she was off. Skipping into a jog towards the nearest neighbor she spotted. She was determined to knock on every door in town as fast as she could.

okintsukoro

"Oh, thank you Citrus! We'll be making the announcement soon!" Isabelle told the rabbit, waving her off as she looked over at Max. "Oh, Max, could you do me a favor? There's a box of party poppers in the closet! I've been saving those for this occasion as well!"

Max nodded as they got out of the chair to glance about the seemingly large and impossibly deep closet before finding the box and picking it up. As they started to make their way out, she saw Isabelle come up to the intercom.

"Attention, citizens of Dobutsu! There will be a tree planting ceremony being held in the plaza in ten minutes! Party poppers will be provided! Thank you, and hope to see you there!"

Max was shaking, slowly realizing that they were going to have to come up in front of a bunch of people. Hopefully Isabelle would do all the talking, because she had no idea what she was supposed to say up there.

With a satisfactory nod, Isabelle picked up the sapling once more, leading the way out the town hall. "Come on, come on! Right this way, Mayor Max!"

Still, the human couldn't help but smile at Isabelle and Citrus's enthusiasm. If that was one thing she learn, practically everyone seemed so happy and welcoming. It made her feel that much better about staying to help them out.

It didn't take long for the two of them to reach the plaza, where Isabelle would stand there with the box of poppers open while Max wandered over to the square plot of dirt reserved for this special sapling. It just seemed to oddly official, like this would be her tree.

The first villager she saw arrive was Roscoe, who Isabelle happily handed a party popper. The older horse shrugged as he glanced over at Max.

"Nay... I could've saved myself some trouble and come straight here after I signed your petition. Plum forgot that new mayors got this type of ceremony, Haven't seen one since I was a little whippersnapper... ga ha..." he snorted to himself with a bit of a smirk. He stood ready and waiting for everyone else to come back, leaving Isabelle to stand on top of the planter while motioning for Max to come on top with her.

Once everyone who was coming was in attendance, Isabelle turned on the microphone to speak.

"Welcome everyone to the official inauguration of our new mayor, Max! I'm the town hall secretary Isabelle, and I will be your host for this event!" She giggles and shyly accepts any applause given to her. "But before we begin the official ceremony, I'd just like to take a moment to say how grateful I am for this town and its citizens. Even with our great former mayor Tortimer retired, we've maintained a strong sense of community and a welcoming atmosphere to be proud of. It makes me so happy to see that no matter the changes that may come, no matter who decides to stay or who decides to move on, Dobutsu will be welcome for everyone who has ever called this place home!"

Max smiled at Isabelle's moving little speech, lightly waving over at Citrus and Bob in the meantime. But, just as suddenly, Isabelle held the microphone over to Max, causing their silvery-blue eyes to widen.

"And now for a very very short speech from our new mayor! Take it away Mayor!" Isabelle encouraged as she gently pushed Max to be up front and center, the human shaking a little bit as their wide eyes looked at everyone in attendance. A small gulp echoed into the microphone.

"...I...um... I..." Their eyes landed on Bob and Citrus, as if trying to mentally ground themselves.

They're here. You have their support. You can do this.

"I...!"

Max bowed. "I love you all! I'll do my best!" they blurted out, their face as red as the apples gently swaying in the trees.

spincycle

The bunny was a bit winded after her quest to round up her neighbors, but adrenaline kept her moving fast as ever. She cleverly recruited Ribbot to help her knock on doors in the farthest corners of Dobutsu. Luckily, she was aided in her roundup by Isabelle's announcement. She was still polite, but excited and spoke a little too quickly. Bob was dazed and confused when one moment he was watching TV and the next he was being dragged into the bright sun.

She gratefully took her confetti popper from Isabelle and joined her peers around the brick square of soil in the center of the plaza. She fidgeted with the plastic as she waited on edge to hear what Max would say. The stars in her eyes didn't dull despite Max's brief and sudden outburst. It was a bit funny- how someone so poetic on paper could be so timid and short spoken aloud.

As if she was part of a hivemind, Citrus pulled the string at the exact moment the others with poppers did. The confetti harmoniously flew into the air and drifted to the ground like fallen leaves.  As the thin sheets of paper blew, she giggled at the 'speech' in a lighthearted way. She quickly jammed the empty party favor into her pocket so she could clap her hands freely. Others joined in the applause as the short ceremony came to a close.

When Max was finished with her symbolic gardening, Citrus quickly skipped over to give them a tight hug. Bob leisurely strolled over to join them- not much of a hugger but offering a pat on his new friend's shoulder.

"You did it! You're the real deal mayor now!" Citrus exclaimed, "We should all celebrate, y'know?"

Bob nodded.

"Congrats, Miss Mayor Max. As your first mayoral duty, you should decide how we'll celebrate, ptthpth. Ideally with food involved. Or a nap," the tomcat suggested.

okintsukoro

Roscoe had snorted at Max's blurted declaration. It was a bit forward of a statement to make in front of several acquaintances, but he did appreciate the enthusiasm and attempt. It did have him getting a little nostalgic once Isabelle and Max planted the new sapling into the brick planter, the two of them coming down just in time to grab some poppers themselves and join the others before clapping.

It was quaint, but the excitement was there. Everyone could feel it: big change was gonna happen soon.

Isabelle would eventually leave Max to her own devices as the crowd began to disperse. From now on, everything Max did as mayor was all up to her.

Max was quick to approach Citrus, slightly surprised by the tight hug but quickly reciprocating it. She even gave an appreciative nod to Bob when she felt the pat on her shoulder. As soon as she let go, she heard Citrus speak up on how they wanted to continue the celebration. And when Bob suggested something with food, Max couldn't help but sheepishly agree.

"Yeah... I haven't really eaten yet. Let's all head to the Roost? We can hang out over there and maybe figure out where to go from here..." she noted as she was already starting to lead the way.

Brewster was already inside, bright as ever, giving them silent nods in greeting.

"So... Isabelle told me that there are things called 'public work projects', which the citizens can pitch in to have something built. She showed me the list yesterday. Everything from huge topiaries, to statues, to benches, and even a couple more bridges for ease of access over the river! But I don't just wanna decide on a random thing and then ask everyone to pay for it... so... Bob, Citrus said you're pretty good at fishing I got a fishing  rod back home I can grab and I was thinking... maybe you could teach me how to fish so I can start earning money while I'm in office?" Max asked the cat, pulling out her wallet to figure out how many bells she wanted to spend on coffee and baked goods.