PSE7 resize.. error? SOLVED

Started by Saerrael, December 20, 2011, 10:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saerrael

Left you see the original work, right the one I tinkered with. The right one is smaller, while I did not resize it.
Now I've heard of pictures turning out smaller after using a PS(E) version, but I hardly use my PSE7, so never really came across it myself. And thus not ever really looked into it.
A quick google-ing doesn't get me anywhere, so I thought I'd post here.
What's up with this? And, how does one 'fix'/ prevent this from happening?
I'm not in a rush to get an answer, but would like a good one. *chuckles* Like I said, I hardly use PSE, but when I do, I like it to do what I want ;)

Thank you in advance!

Haibane

Is it the resizing that's the problem or the colour change? The right hand image looks to be using either a different file format which has affected the colour pallet (you can see that more obvious gradations have occurred where the shading is) or it's using a lower colour resolution. The size difference surely has occurred through resizing the image?

I only use Paint Shop Pro so I can't comment on PSE7 but a simple recolour should not cause either of these features.

Saerrael

QuoteIs it the resizing that's the problem or the colour change?

The resize, hence the thread's title ;) *grins* The colouring and effects are mine and intentional.

Oniya

Just a 'tech' observation here - you do realize that JPG images automatically compress the data (although it's not supposed to change the image's physical size) when you save them?  I typically save as TIFF or PNG until I reach a final image and then switch to a compressed format if I want/need to.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Saerrael

Both images are JPG. I did not use any layers to make image 2 from image 1.
I also used progressive compression (large file), like I always do. *smiles* So I don't loose a lot of details.
That is all not the problem. The problem is only the resize that came from no where.

Shiny

This may be a long shot, but did you use the 'save for web' dialog?
Maybe you accidentally changed the image size yourself or there's an old value stuck in a saved profile as a preset.
Does the problem occur with every image/ image-type or just with .jpegs?

Addendum:
Looked around a bit on google and apparently 'it is not a bug, it is a feature'. PSE7 automatically resizes in certain situations, like when an image is dropped on a canvas in the workspace smaller than the picture (Well, PSE6 does and PSE9 doesn't anymore, a bit uncertain) or when called over some programs email function, among others not specified here at the 'Missing Manual' at google books. But I don't think one of those applies.

It should work like this without resizing:
1.After finishing your retouching, File->Save for Web
2.Change preset in the top right corner to JPG/JPEG and check 'progressive'
3.Make sure the box below for resizing shows 100% percentage(?)
4. Save
5. ??
6. Profit

I hope this solves your problem.
Nothing great, but for someone to share their thoughts.

Saerrael

Thank you, Shiny, that helped. It's odd, though, I didn't drop the image on a new canvas, but that does seem to have been what happened (the feature, I mean).