News:

Main Menu

96 Square Foot House

Started by Vekseid, November 05, 2009, 02:20:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

A tiny home tour: living in 96 square feet

Probably a bit much for my tastes, but I really don't need much space anymore, I've found. I mostly just want walking space and the outdoors works for that.

Raveled

That is simply amazing.  Reminds me of the old engineer adage about having nothing left to take away.
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

OneOfAKiind

Huh...Looks like something my ex would have adored - he likes a minimal lifestyle...something I don't know if I could have tolerated for long. I'll have to send him this video and see what he says.

also, i enjoyed the vodka bottle under the sink lol
and when you think of me years down the line, I hope you can't find one good thing to say

Nimmy

What better place to store it? ;D

I love how much that house fit. It's really cool, although I wouldn't be able to live in that little space... I'm a pack-rat. My entire family is. So that part of my nurturing would be very hard to overcome.

The idea of living that small is a nice one, though. He has some good points about mortgages and the like.

Rhapsody

It's definitely an interesting concept, but with two kids plus one on the way, not to mention a mild case of claustrophobia, I wouldn't personally be able to live in a space that small. 
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Nadir

No way would I fit all my kinky toys uh... books... in there.

>_>

<_<

Scott

I'd love to do that, The thought of not having a mortgage is VERY appealing to me. I'd build on an 8'x20' trailer though, because there's no way I'm showering with a toilet in the shower with me. I wonder though about the building cost, it's very similar, if not more than buying a camper. 

Will

He did say he had a curtain to keep the toilet from getting wet.  I agree that it would be a necessity; no reason to have the toilet fill up and overflow onto your feet. ::)

I love the idea of it, although scaled up just a bit.  Even with kids, it would just have to be scaled up more.  Obviously that one he showed would only work for one person, MAYBE two.
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

DrFier

I think without the curtain keeping the toilet unclogged would be a priority.
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

Revolverman

My dream house, though I would want a full sized bathroom. Perhaps as a second building.

Sarena

The interesting thing is that what he said about houses getting bigger over time.  Used to, families lived in one and two room houses, then there were multiple bedrooms, but the children of the same sex shared a bedroom (remember brady bunch?), until finally, every child has to have their own room.  My theory?  Houses have gotten too big.  We spread ourselves out too much (in constant activities and house square footage) and where is the familial contact? 

My family lives in a small house.  We are saving up to by a larger house, but I've never seen it being more than a three (maybe four) bedroom house.  We simply do not need 6 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms and a three car garage and all that mess.  It's just more crap to keep clean.  I say, buy smaller, save the money and use it to do stuff with the family. :)
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

jouzinka

I think living in there I'd get claustrophobic. Uf

Like Will said, it's for one or maybe two and those two would have to be the kind that needs to be with the other every second of the day. For a person like me who needs some space to call my own to shut the world out, this would lead to a quick divorce. XD

Quote from: Sarena on January 31, 2010, 06:26:07 AM
We spread ourselves out too much (in constant activities and house square footage) and where is the familial contact?

I think it better for people in general (and that includes children) to choose when they want to be with the family and when they want time on their own, instead of having an overcrowded forced on them, no?
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

consortium11

Slightly off topic.

I saw the smallest house in Britain when I was a kid... Two levels, around 10 foot by 4 foot and the ceiling was only around 5 foot on the ground floor and 4 foot on the top level.

What makes it better?

It was owned (and lived in) by a guy who was 6 foot 5.

;)

It wasn't as stupid as it sounds; the guy was a sailor and thus rarely "home" and when he was he pretty much just got pissed at the pub, staggered back and collapsed.

Torch

Quote from: jouzinka on January 31, 2010, 06:49:12 AM
For a person like me who needs some space to call my own to shut the world out, this would lead to a quick divorce. XD

So true. There's only so much "togetherness" I can take.  XD

QuoteI think it better for people in general (and that includes children) to choose when they want to be with the family and when they want time on their own, instead of having an overcrowded forced on them, no?

Agreed.

Sheesh, my bedroom closet is bigger than that house.

I'm materialistic, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

glimmertwin

It's interesting.  I do agree with him on the large houses.  It is simply amazing to me when a couple with two kids have a 5000sqft house.  Regardless if they can afford it or not, do they really need that? 

I grew up in a 1000sqft house and loved it.  Still do.  I now live in a 1900sqft house.  It's still very small compared to my friends and other family members.  Many of them would never dream of having their kids share a room.  We do.  Not only does it teach your kids how to get along and share but it prepares them for when they go to college.  Plus, it teaches them about needs vs wants.

It's interesting how life can make us rethink things. I grew up with one bathroom for five people.  I could not imagine going back to that.  Going back to a house without a master bath.  Sure, we could but now, having lived for 13 years with two bathrooms, it would be tough.

When we bought our current home, we could have bought a home twice as big but we like small.  We also consider part of our retirement being having our home paid off. 

Anyway, I do think that house is cool.  I would want (note, not need) a bit more space but not much more.  If I could have my childhood house again (which had a basement), I would downsize in a second. 
"Sometimes I feel like my shadows casting me."  - Warren Zevon

Torch

Quote from: glimmertwin on February 03, 2010, 01:02:07 PM
It's interesting.  I do agree with him on the large houses.  It is simply amazing to me when a couple with two kids have a 5000sqft house.  Regardless if they can afford it or not, do they really need that? 

And yet, someone who lives in a 300 square foot apartment in a crowded city like Tokyo would probably say the same thing about you and your 1900 square foot house.

It's all about perspective. If you are happy in a 1900 square foot house, more power to you. If you are happy in a 5000 square foot house, more power to you.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

On's and Off's

glimmertwin

Oh, I agree.  I didn't mean to come off condemening those in large houses.  If they have the money and want to buy it, more power to them.  I just, myself, don't see the need.  I know a lot of it is status.  I have some friends who have three kids and a nice, 2500sqft house.  They added an addition bringing it up to probably 3000 or more.  It was beautiful.  Then, about two years later they moved to about a 5000sqft house in a gated neighborhood.  It just don't understand it but, that's them, and I'm me. 

That 96sqft house reminds me of some of the shelters on the AT...just smaller.  hahaha

Torch

Quote from: glimmertwin on February 03, 2010, 01:18:46 PM
Oh, I agree.  I didn't mean to come off condemening those in large houses.  If they have the money and want to buy it, more power to them.  I just, myself, don't see the need. 

Ahh, I see what you're saying. Mr. Torch is like that, he could live in a small apartment and be perfectly happy as long as he had a big plasma TV and ESPN. One must have some creature comforts, after all.

Me, I like space to spread out. It's all a matter of keeping everyone happy, so he has his man cave with the plasma TV, and I have the rest of the house.  :D

On's and Off's

glimmertwin

I really wish I had a basement again.  I miss not having one. 

I do actually need space to at least walk.  That is how I think well, by pacing. 

What is also funny, at least to me, are those folks who have the rooms they never use.  Such as a formal living room.  They never go in it but they have to have furniture for it.   I would love a room like that to turn into an art room (for creating art, not showing it off).

jouzinka

Quote from: glimmertwin on February 03, 2010, 01:02:07 PM
Not only does it teach your kids how to get along and share but it prepares them for when they go to college.  Plus, it teaches them about needs vs wants. 
Honestly, I shared a room with my brother till I was almost 13 and the only thing that taught me was to value my privacy when I got my own room.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

glimmertwin

Yeah, a Brother and Sister sharing a room would get old, esp when you are a teenager.

WhiteyChan

My current "house" is smaller than that.. >_> University halls of residence - cheap and cheerful! xD

Still awesome though

And, I've seen smaller ones at Ikea... :P

Talia

I have looked at this many times.... and all I can say is I need room and personal space.
Even if I shared this with someone...another space would have to be built out back... With a small sign above the entrance..."Dog House." 
He looks at me and my heart starts skipping beats, my face starts to glow and my eyes start to twinkle.
Imagine what he would do to me if he smiled!

Smile... it's the second best thing to do with your lips.

On's & Off's
The Oath of Drake for Group RP's
A&A

Nadir

Actually, looking at it, it would be a good place to retreat to, from the main house. Like if you have a novel to write, you could bunk out in there and focus.

cat storm

I think I would need another 100 square feet.  The bedroom was a bit small for me.  And I have so many books, but my Kindle is taking the place of a lot of that, and I really should use the library more.

o/o's