Seeking to make a Harem... and a GM to chair it (D&D 5, Seeking GM)

Started by Quasar, June 12, 2017, 06:31:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quasar

So, coming into possession of a bevvy of pictures recently got me thinking about the one type of game I've yet to play - harem (in this case, one male to many females)  Honestly, I hold even less hopes for finding a GM for this one than my previous request, but as the old saying goes, if you don't try you won't know.  If nothing else, it will be good for a chuckle to see how things turn out!  And, if nothing else, it might be fun to discuss and chat things out with fellow players.

Whilst I could start up a request in the group thread, I have a bit of an aversion to playing a character and GMing a game at the same time.

So, how would this work?  I have no idea.  What works in animation does not for a good game make, and I sure as hell wouldn't want every other player just waiting around for their *ahem* turn.  A niggling of an idea tells me it's probably best to work towards set goals that result in character advancement rewards.  They may also have ulterior goals that they can work towards.

I'd invite anyone interested in being one of the group members to post up characters, and we can have discussions (relationships, concepts, backgrounds, chatter on the genre in general, etc...) and maybe all of it will (hopefully) snare a GM for a game!  Bonus points for using the pictures from the above link ;D

As for the character I had in mind...
Shotgunned as a Bard, since the typical role of the harem lead is supporting the others, and probably aimed at being a Valor Bard since I despise the idea of a male character not being able to physically come to the aide of his interest.

I don't have the exact details beyond class down for this character, since I think it would be best to cooperatively come up with something (so as not rely on hackneyed cliches).  I don't think every needs to be starstruck over the character, and more grounded reasons for why they keep company would be much more welcome... sometimes not even needing to have anything to do with love or admiration.

As for what exactly they'll do... well, I'm open for an episode by episode adventure with foreshadowing of bigger plot elements ahead.

Smut need not be monogamous and focused on the character.
Quasar's Bangs (Requests; Updated 2017.08.25)
Quasar's A/As (Updated 2017.08.12)

Raveled

You know, this is actually kind of interesting to me. I want to pitch you an idea, and I think it will involve your character going Lore bard. I don't know, we can talk about it.

Basically I see there being a big prophecy coming up that your character, a prince and heir, has to deal with but he's just not typical Conan-style hero material. So he recruits a group of powerful, capable heroes who all happen to be women. As part of the prophecy they need to go through a ritual that binds their souls together. That leads to them sharing experiences and harem'ing.

Not sure if that was what you had in mind, but I figure I'd offer it up.
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Kathyan

I know he wouldn't be evil but when I saw the thread it made me think about this
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Btw way I'd join and love your pics, after checking them I'm already thinking anelf wizard or half-elf warlock, a yuanti rogue or probably a fighter

Raveled

I mean... he could be evil. Imagine something like Baldur's Gate, but he knows his dad is evil and he's okay with it. Part of his job could be to have as many kids as possible to spread the evil genes around.

EDIT: Or that one Might & Magic game, Dark Messiah. His job is actually to bring create a new vessel for his dead/imprisoned father to inhabit. Or we could somehow work some Merry Gentry stuff into it. I'm saying there's lots of ways to work harem into traditional adventure!
O|O A|A Ideas

"Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All the people in the whole world. I mean everybody. No matter how boring or dull they are on the outside, inside them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, stupid, wonderful worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands, maybe." Neil Gaiman

Quasar

Quote from: Raveled on June 16, 2017, 07:09:55 PM
You know, this is actually kind of interesting to me. I want to pitch you an idea, and I think it will involve your character going Lore bard. I don't know, we can talk about it.

Basically I see there being a big prophecy coming up that your character, a prince and heir, has to deal with but he's just not typical Conan-style hero material. So he recruits a group of powerful, capable heroes who all happen to be women. As part of the prophecy they need to go through a ritual that binds their souls together. That leads to them sharing experiences and harem'ing.

Not sure if that was what you had in mind, but I figure I'd offer it up.
Hi Raveled, thanks for your interest in the idea!  I confess that I'm not used to playing characters that take a backseat role when it comes to combat, but I suppose I'm not entirely against the idea either, though I'd probably maximize usage of his ability to take spells from other classes to make him more of battle wizard type (or at least as close as a bard can get), possibly even dipping him into 1 level sorcerer.

At any rate, I'll guess it will depend on the demands of the story and your preferences.  Since you're crafting the game idea, any niggles I might have would be more within the framework rather than asking for something different - as I mentioned, I don't have a set idea what I wanted this to feature in, so feel free with your creativity - all I ask is that it not be (too) silly ;D

Quote from: Raveled on June 16, 2017, 09:19:44 PM
I mean... he could be evil. Imagine something like Baldur's Gate, but he knows his dad is evil and he's okay with it. Part of his job could be to have as many kids as possible to spread the evil genes around.

EDIT: Or that one Might & Magic game, Dark Messiah. His job is actually to bring create a new vessel for his dead/imprisoned father to inhabit. Or we could somehow work some Merry Gentry stuff into it. I'm saying there's lots of ways to work harem into traditional adventure!
Great to see you again Kathyan.  Dependent on what people want, I could make him evil, though probably NE.  My original thoughts were either for someone NG, CG, LN, or N.  But hey, whatever provides for fun!

Raveled

Your character doesn't HAVE to be support focused, I just think it's an interesting dynamic if the girls are the ones doing all the "up-front fighting" while the guy who is purportedly the reason they're together is in the back, playing a lute. I don't want to step on your toes, though.

And I do want your input on which idea you like. This is going to be a game that focuses on your character's personal quest, I want to make sure the premise doesn't alienate you. I don't know how you would feel about playing an evil character trying to bring about the rebirth of a dread god! That's not a story everyone can get into.
O|O A|A Ideas

Raveled

Oh, and I'd like you to think about using Dungeon World as a system rather than 5E. Dungeon World is Powered By Apocalypse and that means a lot less work and headache for me as GM. I can do 5E, it just means more planning and bookkeeping.
O|O A|A Ideas

Quasar

Quote from: Raveled on June 17, 2017, 10:25:35 PM
Your character doesn't HAVE to be support focused, I just think it's an interesting dynamic if the girls are the ones doing all the "up-front fighting" while the guy who is purportedly the reason they're together is in the back, playing a lute. I don't want to step on your toes, though.

And I do want your input on which idea you like. This is going to be a game that focuses on your character's personal quest, I want to make sure the premise doesn't alienate you. I don't know how you would feel about playing an evil character trying to bring about the rebirth of a dread god! That's not a story everyone can get into.
Actually, it is a challenge I'm interested in doing, so I'm certainly not against the support-type idea, only that it's new ;D

With regards to story... well, your basic idea seems good to me.  Depending on how you feel comfortable with working things, he could either be doing the recruiting, or some unknown party is sending the others in his direction with promises of whatever motivates them (e.g. promises to free their imprisoned parents, money to get them out of debt, etc...)  The unknown party can possibly have ambiguously amoral tones, or might be just trying to assist from the shadows, or else it's all a game of manipulation.

Whilst I'm certainly open to learning a new system, I don't know how much time I have on my hands to devote myself familiarize myself with it.

Kathyan

Oh I've been craving so much and for so long to try Dungeon World, I applied for a game Nastara was making but there was a lot of people there and unfortunately didn't make it in and then when she offered to run an arena game she disappeared, hope she is ok. I'm still hoping she appears again soon but I really really wanted to play a full Dungeon World game and not just a PvP one so while I love 5e my vote is for for DW here ^^

I know it's a quite simple system Quasar so I don't think it would be difficult at all to catch.

Anyway, good bard or evil bard you got me in XD

Naughty Miss Adventure

Goodness gracious; another harem request Quasar? XD

Admittedly, looking at the date, this one came before your Celestial Empire idea, so I'm guessing it must be the precursor idea, especially given the same picture claim character for the male, lol

I do have a soft spot for FFMFF scenarios, and if I find my  group game going well and myself with the extra time, I might just consider it. ;)

For the moment though, its probably going to have to sit on the back burner! ::)
Ons & Offs (last updated: 15.08.21)
Absences & Apologies (back after a near year-long absence!)
Current Status: Not Accepting New Games; Muse: Erratic

Visit Eridor, where the Black Gate has been opened! (Long-term D&D 5e project)
Visit Carla at The Breeding House of Vinicus

Quasar

Oh!  Okay.  Wow!  I had practically forgotten about this, since it's been a while now. :-)

You'd be more than welcome, if you find the time! ;D

Muse

I'd be interested, if you don't mind a guy playing a girl character in your story.  (I confess i'd favor D&D over Dungeon World.) 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Naughty Miss Adventure

Well, I guess that would be up to Quasar, but I personally don't mind.

Edit: BTW, Quasar, did have any specific idea on the plot or setting?

Quasar

Quote from: Muse on September 15, 2017, 12:29:59 PMI'd be interested, if you don't mind a guy playing a girl character in your story.  (I confess i'd favor D&D over Dungeon World.)
No problem at all Muse.

Quote from: Naughty Miss Adventure on September 15, 2017, 03:00:14 PMEdit: BTW, Quasar, did have any specific idea on the plot or setting?
I honestly don't know.  I figured this would be a group effort for everyone get something they'd enjoy, so I'm open for any ideas to get thrown into the hat.

Naughty Miss Adventure

No problem Quasar.  For my part, I'm wavering between homebrew and something set in the Eberron setting, with a 5 player crew (your bard + 4 others).

Given the harem theme, I think it may be easier to run it as something between serious and lighthearted, with an overarching goal divided between personal side-quests for each of the heroines.

Quasar

Eberron sounds awesome, though it might be easier to work on a homebrew with everyone's pitched in?

Your other idea certainly sounds like something that will give the game focus, so I'm certainly up for that :-)

Naughty Miss Adventure

Giving everyone a pitch in might sound like a really good way to get involvement, but in my experience (on previous sites) if there isn't already something in place, people tend to not have much to go on as they stare glassy eyed straining for ideas ::)

I think it is far better to come up with a core of what things should be like, so that there is some idea to pitch in, kind of like a foundation.  From there others will be able to build atop of it.

Quasar

Sounds fair enough.  For myself, I'm fairly open to many types of settings; be Eberron's advanced magic society, the Forgotten Realm's pseudo-medieval feel, or even a survival world like Dark Sun's Athas.

Given the genre I'm hoping for, I think the interaction and chemistry between the characters involved is the most important element of the story, or at least half of it.  A big ass quest certainly helps, and I figure it's one that can start with a fairly simple premise and grow into some more complex and grey as the story progresses ;D

I figure in a harem game, the central figure of said harem usually gets a lot of importance, but I figure each character here will need to be equally important and invested in the story, so that at the end of the day, it's not about his story, but about their story.

To give things a start, how about a good old Dragon Threatening the Kingdom/World thing?

Or perhaps Eldritch Abomination is more your stlye?

Naughty Miss Adventure

The Eldritch Abomination sounds awesome, but then, so is the dragon and it's simpler as well - and simpler always makes for an easier start, which is better for the players :-)

I think the easiest approach is where characters are their own little insular group.  Now, deciding on what makes the male character central is pretty important - let's face it; no one wants a boring male lead when it comes to a harem :P  That may require a little input from potential players, but, like before, it helps to have core to work with, so if you have ideas about the character you want to play, it serves to pitch a rough outline :-)

Now, let's say we go with the dragon idea.  Perhaps it is a creature of legend, something like a doomsday harbinger, if you will, and its awakening is certain to bring calamity to the lands.  Whilst it awaits its time of revival, various cults have formed around it and are causing a lot of havoc in the land.  The female protagonists might be victims, glory seekers, survivors, etc, etc...

Again, we come down to the issue of what makes your male protagonist special.  I frankly don't want to rely on something as lazy as 'The Chosen One', 'He Who was Foretold' and what have you - the worst harem plots tend to rely on that mechanic - it's convenient, but pretty damn thin.  Still, it is a viable route if all characters involved are part of such a prophecy.  Might need to think more on it.

Hmmm, now that I'm laying this out, the feel of things certainly seems more Forgotten Realms than Eberron in tone...

Sethala

Tagging for interest as a harem-sister.  I'll try to think up some plot ideas before I get home from work and post some when I'm not just on my phone.

Sethala

So, a bit of pondering, and I think I've got a little twist on the "save the kingdom from the dragon" plot.

The dragon's certainly a threat to the kingdom... but he has been for the last several decades, demanding tribute, razing the farms when others displease him, and so on.  He's more of a tyrant than an immediate danger to everyone, but everyone in the kingdom certainly feels the weight of being under his shadow.

Naturally, the people have hope, with a prophecy telling of the dragon's downfall at the hands of a hero.  So of course, the greatest hero in the land picked up his sword once more and ventured into the lair of the dragon... where he was promptly burned alive and eaten.  That didn't deter people from the prophecy, who figured that it must be talking about some other hero.  Over the years, several would-be heroes have all tried to face the dragon, with varying degrees of failure.  Now, for whatever reason (perhaps his own grandeur, or perhaps just being the unlucky one chosen by the kingdom's elders), your character is the next in line to be the grand hero to slay the dragon.

Of course, I"m not entirely sure how that plays into the harem, so there will probably need to be other ideas.  Sadly, I'm kind of the person Miss Adventure mentioned when talking about "staring glassy-eyed straining for ideas", so I'd like a better foundation before coming up with my own character ideas.

ShinigamiWolf

So, is this an Only females are allowed to join or would you not mind perhaps a slave master/BodyGuard for your Harem owning character?

I did this once in pathfinder and I thought it went rather well. Basically it ended up being a roving group of Pirates, with my character being a Dragonborn Barbarian servant of Tiamat. (He believed he was one of the chosen of her children.) The group would pillage villages and towns along the coasts and even venture deeper into the realms to secure towns and slaves. They would then transport the various slaves (The GM rolled dice to determine the number of women, children, the like in the group and their ethnicity and race as well as the their beauty [That part was just a d10 for each female basically]) and my character would select the prized beauties for himself. (I paid the group the going rate for which we sold the slaves out of my share of the booty and also paid I think it was like 3 Gold a month per woman in my harem to keep them well fed and clothed.)

Mind you this was at table so there was no NSFW business going on but the overall premise was fun. I'd be happy to join if allowed?

Naughty Miss Adventure

Quote from: Sethala on September 18, 2017, 11:02:08 PMSo, a bit of pondering, and I think I've got a little twist on the "save the kingdom from the dragon" plot.
It's certainly worth a thought.  My main idea is to deal with the dragon as a sort of locked away threat, whilst I am thinking that some mortal representative, rules in its name as a tyrant.  They have largely oppressed the world and whilst they do not have a kingdom of their own, their cult is pervasive and stretches across all lands, meaning that most rulers need to walk softly.

Now, an idea that just sprang to me; the girls, in whatever capacity, (be it vengeance, as part of some secret organisation, etc...) get wind that the agents of the cult have been sweeping the lands looking for... something.  It's eventually narrowed down that they're looking for a particular individual (Quasar's PC), though for what purpose it is unclear, but a chance to thwart the cult is a blow worth dealing.  This idea counts on the women being on the defensive to keep the guy out of the hands of the cult, but eventually they may want to go on the offensive.

Quote from: ShinigamiWolf on September 18, 2017, 11:48:27 PMSo, is this an Only females are allowed to join or would you not mind perhaps a slave master/BodyGuard for your Harem owning character?
I suppose a word from Quasar might be most appropriate, but if I'm judging from his first post...
Quote from: Quasar on June 12, 2017, 06:31:35 PM
...got me thinking about the one type of game I've yet to play - harem (in this case, one male to many females)  Honestly...
... I would say that it is so.  Personally, I myself would prefer it that way, as additional males (unless said male is possibly 'one of the girls', as a member of the harem himself) are counter to the genre itself and I may not be able to supply the necessary NPCs to keep the side party entertained.

That said, this has given me the impetus to post some ideas that have been on my mind regarding my personal take on GMing a game like this.

PSYCHOLOGY OF A HAREM (a.k.a. my requirements to GM such a game)

• Not Gratuitous Wish Fulfilment: Okay, so this one is mostly pointed at Quasar.  If the idea of a harem is simply to get your rocks off with as many of the females around your PC as possible, I may have to nip my candidacy for GM-ship in the bud right now, since I'm of a preference for something more complex and stimulating.  Be aware that as the only male, you're going to hold the very heavy burden of making your PC flexible, dynamic, and interesting.  Perving it through, isn't going to do it for me.  Now, given what I've read from this post from you, I don't think it will be a problem, but I do think it best to bring it up all the same.  No offence intended.
  • Vibrant, Interesting Cast: I'm of the opinion that harems live and die by the how interesting the harem members are.  A girl who can't pick up the ball and play quickly fades into the background until you start to wonder what the heck she's doing there in the first place.  In short, the player needs to bring their PC to life, even if the character is a little on the submissive side.  More so than the central male, they're the real stars of a harem, because a man without a harem is a single male, a dime a dozen.
  • No Poachers Please: (before I start, this is not aimed at anyone in particular - it's just past observation that I think may be relevant here) Many times, a male offers to play a female character when what they're intent is to a female trojan horse - they've seen a lot of other female characters around and they wish to play out their lesbian fantasies to fruition, despite being in game where it is implicit there should be F/M sexuality primarily, with F/F as a side bonus.  I suppose the same is true for a female player who's only interest is the host of other lovely female PCs, and only thinly endures the male company.  I've lost at least one game to this sort of thing in the past, so it is a pet, and personal, peeve of mine: I would prefer not to have to call anyone out on it, as its one of the things my temper runs shorter on, so I thought to make this clear from the beginning.
  • Inter-Party Psychology: Privately, in literature, I love multiple female to single male relationships because I enjoy seeing the psychology and dynamics played out - what makes this one person desirable enough to pull in several women at the same time, when the average man can only hook up one at a time.  I use the word 'psychology' because I don't want it to be something so simple as 'oh, he's good looking', 'damn, he's good in bed', or some other lazy ass reasons.  Certainly, they may start with few, if any, reasons, but it will be up to players to build up those connections as things go along - their angle, motivations, conflicts, agreements, friendships, rivalries, etc...  If these things aren't there, my interest drops about as quickly as an erection splashed with ice-cold water, and shrinks just as completely.
  • One Winner?: The most realistic course of things is that eventually, one girl takes the lead and wins the day by becoming the only true romantic interest.  Whilst classically time honored and probably the best from a literary perspective; I am of the opinion that a game between players should have no losers.  Ideally, it's one big, messy group romance.  Realistically, its a matter of compromise and respect.  Altogether, they start the game together and end together.
  • The World Exists to Serve the Relationships at Play: Basically, I'm not going to supply a great number of minor NPCs for independent relationships or sexing, unless it serves to deepen the camaraderie shared between the group - basically, this is a group and their impact on the quest, not a quest and it's impact on the group.

ShinigamiWolf

Completely understandable. I did not in fact, catch that part. My apologies. I shall withdraw my interest as I don't do female characters justice.

Muse

I must say I quite apreciate your write up on the psychology of a harem game.  That's exactly the way I like such things. 

Now, to come up wtih something to say that actualy contributes to the game brainstorming... 

*wanders of pondering.* 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)