Marvel Films' 3 Upcoming Big Gambles

Started by Mathim, February 22, 2014, 01:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LunarSage

Just a note... Cap's shield is not a Vibranium/Adamantium alloy.  That was a long held mistake within the Marvel bullpen for several decades based on an error in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe in the mid 80s.

It's a Vibranium/Unknown steel alloy.  The research of this alloy eventually led to the invention of Adamantium, but the shield never had Adamantium in it.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Captain_America's_Shield

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Mathim

Quote from: LunarSage on March 10, 2014, 06:39:57 PM
Just a note... Cap's shield is not a Vibranium/Adamantium alloy.  That was a long held mistake within the Marvel bullpen for several decades based on an error in the Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe in the mid 80s.

It's a Vibranium/Unknown steel alloy.  The research of this alloy eventually led to the invention of Adamantium, but the shield never had Adamantium in it.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Captain_America's_Shield

Well, according to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, that's what it is; Continuity never really holds up well when there's so many versions of the same universe (of which the film versions are yet another alternate).

Speaking of which, the two different versions of Quicksilver make me wonder if Days of Future Past might actually offer a better product of Pietro Maximoff than Age of Ultron. Anyone want to weigh in with their opinion? I doubt it but if he's supposed to NOT be a mutant, I'm not sure how cool they'll manage to make it in the Marvel Studios version.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

RedPhoenix

I'm not sure that Days of Future Past is going to translate that well into film honestly. A lot of the impact of it was the connection you had with the characters involved and seeing them dead and such in alternate futures. Casual viewers aren't really going to care that much.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

LunarSage

Quote from: Mathim on March 11, 2014, 05:36:51 PM
Well, according to the Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon, that's what it is; Continuity never really holds up well when there's so many versions of the same universe (of which the film versions are yet another alternate).

There is only one Marvel Universe in my eyes... 616 (which the Avengers films seem to be based off of).  :P

The Ultimate titles were horrendous in my opinion.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: LunarSage on March 11, 2014, 06:02:36 PM
There is only one Marvel Universe in my eyes... 616 (which the Avengers films seem to be based off of).  :P

I'm with you on this. Nothing is worse than a comic book trying to be cool and edgy. I pretend the Ultimate line never existed.
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs
I move the stars for no one.

Vorian

Quote from: Mathim on March 11, 2014, 05:36:51 PM
Speaking of which, the two different versions of Quicksilver make me wonder if Days of Future Past might actually offer a better product of Pietro Maximoff than Age of Ultron. Anyone want to weigh in with their opinion? I doubt it but if he's supposed to NOT be a mutant, I'm not sure how cool they'll manage to make it in the Marvel Studios version.

I doubt we'll get anything good from Fox, honestly. I think the twins have enough history to work even without any mention of mutants.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas
Absences - Updated 3/26/15

Chris Brady

Quote from: LunarSage on March 11, 2014, 06:02:36 PM

Actually, from what I can tell, the Movie Universe takes liberally from both Ultimates and 616.  Especially the aliens in the Avengers, those were closer to the Ultimates version.  As was Hawkeye's costume design.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Vorian

Yeah, it feels more like 616 overall, but it definitely draws heavily from the Ultimate universe as well. Fury in particular, but also Black Widow & Hawkeye to an extent, and the way SHIELD ties into the Avengers from the start.
Ons/Offs - Updated 10/8/14 to reflect my switch to Liege and attempt a bit more clarity.
Ideas
Absences - Updated 3/26/15

LunarSage

Mjolnir looks like the 616 version rather than the Ultimate axe, as does Iron Man's armor (thank God).  Cap is obviously the 616 Cap as well.

Yeah I can see the Ultimate aspects, but they took far more from 616 in my eyes, of which I am extraordinarily glad.  The feel of the setting is very 616.

consortium11

The original Ultimates series (and in truth most of the few few books of the other Ultimates lines) was actually pretty good I thought and did raise some interesting ideas/points. Captain America was a man frozen in the 1940's... why wouldn't he display 1940's sensibilities (both good and bad) when freshly unfrozen? Thor as a sort of environmental/anti-capitalist activist/messiah is another interesting take and I rather liked the is he/isn't he questions about whether Asgard actually existed or whether he was a man with mental issues even if they backed away from the issue far too quickly. It all fell apart about midway through Ultimates 2 and came to a head with the entirely awful Ultimatum (and even today has barely recovered) but the first few series were generally pretty interesting.

That said, the Movie-verse is pretty much the definition of what the Ultimate-verse was meant to be; new stories (albeit often paying homage to long-standing ones) with existing characters that updated origins to a more modern world; see Tony Stark being injured in the Middle East as opposed to Vietnam, Thor still being "Thor" and having his memories when sent to earth, the Chitauri (a direct transplant from the Ultimates universe) etc etc.

Mathim

Quote from: Chris Brady on March 11, 2014, 08:40:26 PM
Actually, from what I can tell, the Movie Universe takes liberally from both Ultimates and 616.  Especially the aliens in the Avengers, those were closer to the Ultimates version.  As was Hawkeye's costume design.

That, and Nick Fury being African-American. Frankly I would have been happier if they'd had a Nick Fury (the original) cameo in Captain America, and this Nick Fury be his son Marcus Johnson, aka Nick Fury Jr. who is a dead ringer for the Ultimates version. Then there'd be a better bridging between the original and Ultimate versions without pandering too much on the side of the new one.

They're deviating quite a bit from both versions as well, bringing in Ant-Man very late in the game and obviously the approach they're taking being very different from his normal origin anyway. I guess that's good, keeps everything from being too predictable. But we like our familiarity too.

Some big news of stuff coming out next week as far as info videos. Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Nf221QHfc
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TheGlyphstone

Didn't they use Ultimate Nick Fury because of the deal they made with Samuel L. Jackson, where they asked to pattern Ultimate Fury after his likeness and he agreed on the condition that they offer him the role if they ever put Nick Fury on the film screen?

Chris Brady

Quote from: Mathim on March 12, 2014, 02:21:36 PM
They're deviating quite a bit from both versions as well, bringing in Ant-Man very late in the game and obviously the approach they're taking being very different from his normal origin anyway.
Thing is, we know WHY they're doing this.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 12, 2014, 05:26:45 PM
Didn't they use Ultimate Nick Fury because of the deal they made with Samuel L. Jackson, where they asked to pattern Ultimate Fury after his likeness and he agreed on the condition that they offer him the role if they ever put Nick Fury on the film screen?
Actually no.  The story goes that when they created the Ultimates Universe, the artist who created the Black Nick Fury actually based his appearance on Samuel L. Jackson.  And it stuck, so they had to make the deal.  If I remember correctly, Mr. Jackson was thrilled about that.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

TheGlyphstone

Apocryphal story, then. Does make a good story, though.

Though it's kinda funny that the idea to use Fury Jr. was brought up as to not pander to the Ultimates universe so much, when the existence/appearance of Fury Jr. is pretty much entirely pandering to the popularity of the movie Fury, and by extension, Ultimate Fury.

Mathim

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 12, 2014, 05:51:12 PM
Apocryphal story, then. Does make a good story, though.

Though it's kinda funny that the idea to use Fury Jr. was brought up as to not pander to the Ultimates universe so much, when the existence/appearance of Fury Jr. is pretty much entirely pandering to the popularity of the movie Fury, and by extension, Ultimate Fury.

Well that was just MY opinion. Frankly I don't care whether Nick Fury is black or white right now since I don't have that much emotional attachment to the character as I do most of the others; I was just thinking that, since the original Fury was around during WWII, it would have been cool for him (since it's been pointed out in other forums that it would be unlikely for an African- American to have a high command position like Fury is supposed to have had) in his David Hasselhoff-looking version, to have been present during Cap's tenure in the army and then being one of the founders of SHIELD; then obviously near the later part of his life, he could be known to have left behind a piece of his legacy in the form of a son. Since his son is obviously African-American in the comics, if they'd taken the opportunity to show that Fury had spent some time on that continent, it would be a great way to lead into Wakanda and introduce Black Panther sooner rather than later. That's just how I feel. Plus if they're actually considering making a stand-alone Nick Fury movie, I think it would make more sense to show the two generations and how Nick Jr. was kind of a bastard and unacknowledged by his father for a while (which would explain his hard-ass attitude).

Oh, and it looks like Marvel has figured out how to mitigate the whole 'mutant' problem in the MCU: Rather than referring to those with superpowers from birth as mutants, it's going to be called 'Miracles' from this point; no idea what the hell that's supposed to mean so we'll just have to wait and see, but at least this means we'll be able to see their mutant abilities without it being a genetic predisposition. So Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are apparently the result of these 'miracles' rather than being born with the X-Gene inherited from their mutant daddy. I guess that leaves no possibility of the MCU and Fox's X-Men universe ever connecting for a big event. Shame, really, they both could have sucked that golden tit dry if they just learned to share. Fox got way too stingy with their claiming of Adamantium and whatnot and it's starting to disjoint the MCU since this 'Miracle' business could lead to drastic alterations of other characters' powers and/or origins. Although since Ant-Man's primary enemy (besides Ultron, and we know that's not how it's going to be in the MCU) is Whirlwind, another mutant, he might benefit from the idea of Miracles if they decide to use him in the Ant-Man movie and they need to give some B.S-y reason about where he got his powers.

Mathim

News Flash: Edgar Wright has bowed out of the Ant-Man film, meaning someone new is going to have to be found to direct it. It had better be someone with a good reputation or this will end up being an even bigger gamble for Marvel.