Harvest Moon: Light of Hope, that darn olive flounder! >.<

Started by LamentingQuill, February 25, 2018, 04:12:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LamentingQuill

I cannot figure out how to get the olive flounder, which I need to get the excellent bait recipe from Cyril.

I have tried fishing at both piers on beach and by the lighthouse at morning and at night in both fall and winter, have tried with both regular and good bait, I also have the master rod.

I am at a loss, does anyone have some solid advice?

Timeless

Quote from: LamentingQuill on February 25, 2018, 04:12:46 PM
I cannot figure out how to get the olive flounder, which I need to get the excellent bait recipe from Cyril.

I have tried fishing at both piers on beach and by the lighthouse at morning and at night in both fall and winter, have tried with both regular and good bait, I also have the master rod.

I am at a loss, does anyone have some solid advice?

When I played the game previously, I remember getting the olive flounder like very early in the morning at the beach. It took me a while too, but it really depends on your luck.

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Timeless on February 26, 2018, 06:55:32 AM
When I played the game previously, I remember getting the olive flounder like very early in the morning at the beach. It took me a while too, but it really depends on your luck.

Were you on the pier or literally on the beach?

Mathim

I didn't even know there was a new one out! I'm still playing Sunshine Islands on the DS. Did this new version incorporate a means of keeping track of things like how much sun/water the crops have been given? It's kind of a pain having to keep a separate index for that on my computer. And this one is on a console, I've only played HM games on handhelds. Gotta check this one out. Did they start letting you keep bugs like bees for honey and silkworms for silk? I wish the older games had included those kind of things. And also a butcher for meat when your animals get too old and die.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Timeless

Quote from: LamentingQuill on February 26, 2018, 11:07:54 AM
Were you on the pier or literally on the beach?

I went out to the pier to catch the Olive Flounder, if I'm not mistaken. Not the second pier which you built but the already existing one.

Quote from: Mathim on February 26, 2018, 11:29:41 AM
I didn't even know there was a new one out! I'm still playing Sunshine Islands on the DS. Did this new version incorporate a means of keeping track of things like how much sun/water the crops have been given? It's kind of a pain having to keep a separate index for that on my computer. And this one is on a console, I've only played HM games on handhelds. Gotta check this one out. Did they start letting you keep bugs like bees for honey and silkworms for silk? I wish the older games had included those kind of things. And also a butcher for meat when your animals get too old and die.

Eh, I would say that this Harvest Moon game is kinda a let down compared to other games. The only other Harvest Moon game I had played was the one in the SNES and the PS2 version, but this particular game uses the same character models from another previous game. In my honest opinion, it's a lazy effort and this is from me who put in like hours into the game and completed the whole storyline, to where I had my female character married a bachelor in the end.

If you really want a good Harvest Moon kind of game, I highly recommend Stardew Valley since you get more worth of your money. If you have a 3DS however, I highly recommend Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns because, technically, Story of Seasons is the original Harvest Moon game compared to the Harvest Moon games you get from Natsume. If you're curious about what I mean, I highly recommend watching this video - if you know about this already, then you don't need to watch it but still. XD

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Timeless on February 27, 2018, 06:28:30 AM
I went out to the pier to catch the Olive Flounder, if I'm not mistaken. Not the second pier which you built but the already existing one.

Eh, I would say that this Harvest Moon game is kinda a let down compared to other games. The only other Harvest Moon game I had played was the one in the SNES and the PS2 version, but this particular game uses the same character models from another previous game. In my honest opinion, it's a lazy effort and this is from me who put in like hours into the game and completed the whole storyline, to where I had my female character married a bachelor in the end.

If you really want a good Harvest Moon kind of game, I highly recommend Stardew Valley since you get more worth of your money. If you have a 3DS however, I highly recommend Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns because, technically, Story of Seasons is the original Harvest Moon game compared to the Harvest Moon games you get from Natsume. If you're curious about what I mean, I highly recommend watching this video - if you know about this already, then you don't need to watch it but still. XD

Already existing? You mean while it's broken?

Timeless

Quote from: LamentingQuill on February 27, 2018, 11:02:28 AM
Already existing? You mean while it's broken?

Ah, damn, forgotten there was the beach pier - been a long while since I last played the game, so excuse me. If you fixed the beach pier (not the one near the lighthouse), there was where I fish to get the Olive Flounder. But you nailed the season and the time, it's just really based on your luck. So just keep trying and you'll get it eventually.

LamentingQuill

Quote from: Timeless on February 27, 2018, 01:08:51 PM
Ah, damn, forgotten there was the beach pier - been a long while since I last played the game, so excuse me. If you fixed the beach pier (not the one near the lighthouse), there was where I fish to get the Olive Flounder. But you nailed the season and the time, it's just really based on your luck. So just keep trying and you'll get it eventually.

So keep fishing from the beach pier? Just to clarify. Keep doing what I am?

Timeless

Quote from: LamentingQuill on February 27, 2018, 01:13:55 PM
So keep fishing from the beach pier? Just to clarify. Keep doing what I am?

Ah, yuppe, just keep doing what you're doing. You'll get it eventually! It took me a long while too.

Also, I do remember I got two Olive Flounders as rewards for a request - and then I did check to find I was right. The Harvest God gives them as a reward for his first request, which he wants four watermelons.