Post apocalypse world in the sky.

Started by Dashenka, January 08, 2013, 04:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siereis

Cool, thanks for the information.  In any case ya..count me in.

mj2002

Quote from: Dashenka on January 09, 2013, 01:49:22 PM
May I ask which country?

And how did you get to the Spirit of Ecstacy?
NL. As for the personal text, there's a hint in the custom title!

Moraline

I'm interested in the RP but I would need to know more.

Dashenka

Quote from: mj2002 on January 09, 2013, 03:13:03 PM
NL. As for the personal text, there's a hint in the custom title!

Oh nice. I've lived in Amsterdam for five years.

Spreek een beetje Nederlands :)

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

BlackestKnight

I can see myself interested, potentially as a bandit rogue.

Dashenka

Alright. One thing though, even a bandit rogue should be in a group. It's a savage world and if he's staying on the ground he especially needs a group to survive between all the large dangerous mammals.

ElCapitan

Any joke against Australians is the least of their worries.  Everything on that continent can and will kill you.  Although Hugh Jackman seems nice.

Either one or two generations post-event could work. If it was long enough ago that say, Grandma remembers it happening, there could still be enough cultural influence trickling down.  Then all that most characters (assuming no one wants to RP granny) would only know of the old world through stories that are quickly becoming legend.  A nationality like 'Australian' or 'Russian' or 'Texan' would be more like 'this is what my dad/grandad was, and I carry some on' and less 'G'day mate! Let's throw another shrimp on tha barbie for the Motherland, bring in wheat harvest as is tradition, then head on down to the campfire fer some good ol' fashioned ho'down!"*

I could see a Bandit trying to infiltrate, gain trust etc from the Sky-hut. Maybe part of a band that lives in the ruins of a city.

*I apologize for the brutal 'grammar.'

CarnivorousBunny

I am very interested in the Air scenario.

I'd be interested in playing a female gatherer or pilot.

Maybe the thief could already live in the ship, and then he'd sneak out recourses for his little group under everyone's noses. >_>
But ElCapitan's idea is grander, haha
my  o&o and a&a
Current Status: Back on E, but still busy.
Sworn to the Oath of the Drake.

eiselmann

Quote from: ElCapitan on January 09, 2013, 08:41:45 PM
Any joke against Australians is the least of their worries.  Everything on that continent can and will kill you.  Although Hugh Jackman seems nice.

Either one or two generations post-event could work. If it was long enough ago that say, Grandma remembers it happening, there could still be enough cultural influence trickling down.  Then all that most characters (assuming no one wants to RP granny) would only know of the old world through stories that are quickly becoming legend.  A nationality like 'Australian' or 'Russian' or 'Texan' would be more like 'this is what my dad/grandad was, and I carry some on' and less 'G'day mate! Let's throw another shrimp on tha barbie for the Motherland, bring in wheat harvest as is tradition, then head on down to the campfire fer some good ol' fashioned ho'down!"*

I could see a Bandit trying to infiltrate, gain trust etc from the Sky-hut. Maybe part of a band that lives in the ruins of a city.

*I apologize for the brutal 'grammar.'

Lol I should forewarn that as a New Zealander I have a moral obligation to mock Australians even if they are simply characters in a role play :-)

You might want to get used to one of the more common Aussie sayings..."Look mate there's a Kiwi, lets go steal his stuff and pretend its ours"...

Of course you'll have to learn to spell beer like they do in Queensland...its spelt XXXX,  the reason they use 4X's? Aussies can't spell beer.

But in all seriousness with the accent it wouldn't survive two generations , but the various Aussie saying would come thru...saying that if your character is a descendant of a certain Alfie Langer then the accent will come out loud and clear theres no way that man's high pitched whine could ever fade no matter how many generations pass.
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

Dashenka

I do like Australians and Australia. Rugged country, rugged people. Unlike Russians, who are just pussies about basically everything. So good on ya mate for playing/being Aussie :D

If you are comfortable with playing a thief or rogue I'm okay with it. But bare in mind that you will mostly play solo then as the Sky Hut (I like that name) will be very cautious towards somebody from the ground at best.

Before I open the OOC this afternoon (CET) let's discus technology a bit. I mean obviously the game is advanced enough to keep a massive zeppelin with attached bridges and tents and all in the air and navigate it. Also there will be small 'ships' to get to the surface. Or should we just use rope ladders and reusable parachutes?

The danger of having automatic weapons or even normal guns, is that the Sky Hut is a zeppelin. Three holes in it and it's gone, also the battle against the large creatures on the surface wouldn't be fair so I was thinking some older weapons. Like bow and arrow, crossbows and maybe some very crude form of guns. (Yes they can still shoot down the zep but they won't have the range) For the rest I was thinking knifes and maybe spears or something.

There would be radio as we know it. Maybe television as well? I would go for holograms and all that but that would just require so much energy and they don't have it. It's basically back to a world without power. Was just thinking that maybe the zep could run on steam and the smaller crafts on solar energy.

Any of your thoughts on this?

CarnivorousBunny

The reusable parachutes and ladders can be a last resort, in case someone gets stranded and people need to go on a rescue mission, or need some quick way back to the Sky Hut, but it would be ultimately safer for players to have little ships.
Plus having ships gives openings to air raids from bandits or from hostile colonies.  More excitement!

A crossbow would be very similar to a gun, wouldn't it?  One nervous shooter, and there's a hole in the zeppelin.  Bolas would be a good far ranged weapon, but they would be used more for hunting and defence.  The upside would be they folks on board will have less of a chance of puncturing their home.

Television sounds like such a luxury, but I suppose having one set on board (along with a dvd player or something) would be funny. 
my  o&o and a&a

eiselmann

I think as far as weapons go they may some high powered military weapons circa todays world, however I can see these being keep only for extreme emergencies since there's a finite amount of ammo to start with, I think for day to day use weapons that run using a similar system to paint-war guns it would mean a reduced range less lethal but a high rate of fire , short of that I think bows and arrows , spears would be the go as a personal weapon  and perhaps the ships could be armed with harpoons

As for the ships I think they would be made of a fairly update material (perhaps even something a generation or two ahead of current technology) because we're effective needing the main vessel to operate as a floating base/town saying that its unlikely the ships were designed for 24/7 living year after year , repairs would have to be made and each repair is not going to be quite as good as the part/area replaced simply because we don't have the manufacturing to replicate.

I would expect wind and solar to power the biggest ships and solar to power any light ships, I can see ropes and parachutes being used only in extreme situations (like an abandon ship situation)

I think radio is well within scope of the story its not the most unlikely tech for them to have, as for TV, I'd say perhaps 1000s of programmes stored into the ships computer which is now powered by solar/wind (and my fav ankle gyro's) so the programmes we see take an age to upload and are unreliable viewing.(as in the system can suddenly freeze and take forever to restart)

Just my two cents worth at 11:30 pm (I should be asleep) :-)
260916 Sigh, on the back end of my laptop dying last week and getting a new one delivered, we now have had some local flooding where I live....fortunately for me no major damage since my house is a few feet above ground, however my back yard looks like the swimming pool I don't have ...so might take a day or two to get back to posting

The Betrayal at Yalta, one of the main reasons the world is the mess it is today

My ons and offs link

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=254364.0

CarnivorousBunny

They could also have a sort of green room, or well ventilated and lit area where they can grow simple crops like potatoes so they have emergency provisions.

Playing off eiselmann's idea, it would be interesting if the group could occasionally go on missions to try and recover lost technology and knowledge.  That way it would be easier for them to say, create newer weapons and repair the smaller ships that they so heavily rely on.
my  o&o and a&a

Dashenka

See this is why I asked for all your imput :D

To solve the problem with the hole puncturing maybe the skin of the balloon could be made of a stronger material than for example the Hindenburg. Maybe some sort of glass fiber or kevlar. I'm not really at home in those materials so if anybody has any idea if it could be done we can solve that. This way we can easily allow crossbows or harpoons on the ship for self defense purposes.

The problem I think we have with ships going to the ground is that the world is mostly covered in jungle. So the few landing strips or open fields there are, are likely to be guarded by bandits or other kinds of baddies. With the ladders and parachutes there wouldn't be that problem. That would pose the problem that crop growing requires an open patch of land and thus would stand out from the air and air pirates. Plus jumping off a ship and climbing back up with a ladder with baddies shooting at you or a big ass carnivorous mammal at the bottom of the ladder does sound like quite a challenge.

For the recovery or air battles I think some ships would be nice to have but I would see them more as small fighter planes. This way we can have pilots for the fighters and exploration and ground warriors and gatherers for the harvesting. We could even make some sort of system that hoists the people up from the ground up to the ship.

AdrianZef

And I interrupt this lively discussion to announce my interest, provided there's still room.
Don't know if you want to roleplay with me? The answer is yes, you do. But fine, I guess I'll give you one of these: Ons and Offs, as well as a Wishlist.

Dashenka

Okay I have made an OOC thread. It's here.

Please transfer all discussions to this thread. Also if you are interested in joining but haven't yet done so, do it in the OOC.

mj2002

Quote from: Dashenka on January 10, 2013, 10:41:44 AM
Okay I have made an OOC thread. It's here.

Please transfer all discussions to this thread. Also if you are interested in joining but haven't yet done so, do it in the OOC.

But now this post will be buried!

Dashenka

It won't :P It's still the interest check.