News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

TROUBLE OF RAPE IN THE WORLD

Started by christian green, March 12, 2015, 02:24:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

christian green

hello every one!!
I have put up this post to discuss whether rape is just a problem of asian countries or is it all over the world??

gaggedLouise

Unfortunately there is most certainly no country in the world where (mostly) women don't get raped or beaten up - with the possible exception of the Vatican City. ::)

I can vaguely see what you're after, but perhaps some more precise framing of the questions?  :-X

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Dimir

Rape and sexual violence towards anyone is a major problem throughout the world, regardless of ethnicity and socioeconomic status. Why do you think it's possibly only an issue in Asian nations?
My PM Box is always open for those who wish to chat with someone.
Major fan of Magic The Gathering, Sailor Moon and Pokemon
O/O's: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221869.0

Blythe

Quote from: christian green on March 12, 2015, 02:24:53 PM
hello every one!!
I have put up this post to discuss whether rape is just a problem of asian countries or is it all over the world??

Hi, christian green, and welcome to the PROC subboard of Elliquiy.  ;D

Your question is very vague and somewhat misleading, as it implies other countries may not have problems regarding rape. It would help if you narrowed your topic down or clarified it. If you would like to specifically discuss the prevalence of rape in asian countries, that would be an interesting topic, or perhaps discussing the different rates of rape prevalence per country. I would suggest looking up some articles and sources to help explain what you would like to discuss as well.

You will find this sticky and this sticky very helpful reading if you would like to participate in this subboard. :-)

ultraperv9000

Women most definitely get brutalized all over the world. It's not just that form of rape, though - there's everything from drugging someone to make the unconscious or unable to think straight, all the way down to breaking pre-agreed limitations that the woman had set. Just because you agree to fuck, doesn't mean you agree to everything that one party wants. The argue that "she secretly wanted it" is totally irrelevant. She didn't ask for that kind of sexual contact, but if someone does it anyway, that's an abuse of power and is not consensual.

christian green

hey blith!! i purposely left it vague so that we can discuss everything on rape.
from the rates of rapes in ones country to the steps which can be taken to prevent them. whos knows there might be someone amongst us at a good position who can use this discussion to the betterment of the community

gaggedLouise

There have been many debate threads on various aspects of rape and sexualized violence here in the past, sometimes getting very heated - occasionally so agitated and upset that a thread had to be locked down by moderators for a while.

I'm sure there are many people here with thoughts about rape and why it happens, but a general catch-all thread on rape might not be the best idea. Just saying.

christian green

hey louise!!
I am new here so dont know about the past.
it was very much in news these past days so thought of putting up here.

consortium11

I might be over-reaching here, but I think I might be able to provide some context.

First I'd quickly note that by "Asian" I suspect that christian green is using the British-style definition where it primarily applies to people from in and around the Indian sub-continent as opposed to the more common US definition where it refers more to East Asia. I'm basing this pretty much entirely on the fact christian green mentions being from India in his intro thread; if I'm wrong I apologise.

The treatment of women has been a pretty hot topic in India for a while now. The case that really drew attention was a 2012 gangrape and murder in Delhi where six strangers on a bus raped a 23 year old student (who later died of her injuries) and beat her male friend. This caused an outcry and mass protests; one of the men died in custody, one juvenile offender was sentenced to three years (the maximum allowed under law) and the four remaining suspects were convicted and sentenced to death by hanging. It's been in the news recently due to a BBC documentary "India's Daughter" which primarily focused on the case. The three "headlines" from the documentary are an interview with one of the attackers where he suggests that it was the woman's fault as "a decent girl won’t roam around at nine o’clock at night … Housework and housekeeping is for girls, not roaming in discos and bars at night doing wrong things, wearing wrong clothes", one of the defence lawyers said that he would burn alive his daughter or sister if he found out they had premarital sex and India banned the screening of the documentary (at least on a temporary basis) within India.

That case has been far from the only high profile one however. Two teenage girls were gangraped and murdered in Budaun last year, a photojournalist was gangraped in 2013, a Swiss cyclist was gangraped in front of her beaten husband, a 20 year old girl was gangraped as punishment for being romantically involved with a boy from a different tribe and in 2013 another student was gangraped and murdered. That's just high profile ones... and only some of them.

It's also been in the news recently due to a lynching case in Dimapur where a mob of thousands assaulted a prison, overcame the guards, took a suspected rapist, stripped and beat him before eventually hanging him. There are some rather graphic photos going around social media of what they did to him if anyone with a strong stomach wants to see. It should be noted that in a preliminary government report it's suggested that the sex was consensual, although the police are still investigating.

So, hopefully that's some context.

Answering the question, rape is a problem that isn't restricted or bound by geographical boundaries. The situation may be better or worse in certain countries or places but nowhere is completely free of it.

gaggedLouise

*waves back* I know, the news stories of rape and brutal abuse in India and so on.

It's okay and by the way I'm not staff - just thought the topic is a bit wide, and you won't find anyone here on E who wasn't horrified by those news stories from India (the bus gang rape, the suspected rape* and killing of two casteless girls in a village in the Ganges valley last year, and so on)

*I believe the two Budaun girls were indeed gang raped and hanged, lynched almost. A police inquiry several months later said this wasn't sure, but it sounded very botched, like an attempt to sweep the events under the rug.

Lux12

Unfortunately, rape and sexual assault are not exclusive to any continent. As far as I know there isn't a country that statistically higher amounts of either. One should be concerned about the suffering of those who have experienced the trauma of such terrible crimes no matter where they are from, but one should not ignore the problem in their homeland either. It can also be a little racist if you say that it's just a problem of foreign countries and ethnic groups as if implies wrongly that the group you speak if more sexually depraved than any other. This is a falsehood to avoid propagating.

Valthazar

Quote from: Lux12 on March 12, 2015, 06:57:36 PM
Unfortunately, rape and sexual assault are not exclusive to any continent. As far as I know there isn't a country that statistically higher amounts of either. One should be concerned about the suffering of those who have experienced the trauma of such terrible crimes no matter where they are from, but one should not ignore the problem in their homeland either. It can also be a little racist if you say that it's just a problem of foreign countries and ethnic groups as if implies wrongly that the group you speak if more sexually depraved than any other. This is a falsehood to avoid propagating.

The state of women's rights in South Asia is atrocious.  The problem with India is that it operates legislatively as a 1st world nation, passing laws like the Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act, yet lacks the infrastructure to enforce it in any conceivable way.  Couple this with corruption beyond comprehension to Westerners, abject poverty, an ingrained caste structure, and a socially conservative populous, and you have the recipe for abuse. 

As consortium mentioned, the media reports we see about rape in India are only barely scratching the surface, with incidents like the bus gang rape and caste-killings unfortunately being near daily occurrences.  Sexual assault is a serious issue in the West as well.  But the situations in India and the West are markedly different, because far more rape goes 'under the radar' in India.

If you are reasonably middle class and/or come from a middle-to-upper caste family in India, you can easily pay-off judges to drop almost any criminal charge being held against you.  Sadly, there are many people who know this, and take advantage of this regulary.  (This is assuming the justice system is even capable of coordinating a prosecution - which often doesn't even occur).

christian green

Rape isnt just a problem of India or Indian subcontinent as some may say. the other day I was reading an article where united states was mentioned as amongst the top ten countries with most rape cases.
in India people took a strong stand against it and made the Indian government and world to sit up and Look at the matter as a serious issue all over the world.
As far as judiciary is concerned, our courts has made a guy as rich as Subroto Roy sahara sit in the jail for last one year.
we have also convicted our former prime minister for 6 years in Jail.
I am sure you will find very less countries with such instances.
I agree there might be few dishonest judges but i am sure thats true about every profession in every country. There always ought to be few dishonest ones.

Valthazar

Rape is a serious problem in the US.  But trying to draw parallels with India is totally missing the mark. 

Traveling alone in India is a huge liability for women.  Gropings and physical harassment are a regular event.  Combine this with a culture that encourages women to be modest, quiet, and demure, and you see a social acceptance of it.

Even today, many marriages are arranged.  Westerners may be surprised that parents go to great lengths to conduct 'background checks' on potential brides and grooms - checking whether she has any psychiatric conditions, whether she is involved with any illicit behavior, and so on.  Sadly, being a victim of sexual assault in Indian culture is not only a black mark on the woman, but also on the family.  In many cases, a woman is making herself "un-marry-able" if relatives or family friends come to find out she has been raped.  Needless to say, an enormous number of rapes are not reported.

India does a nice PR job in claiming to work against rape.  But the sheer size of the country (along with 70% of the population being rural), makes this a bleak effort.  22% of the population (300 million people) live on less than 0.50 US dollars per day.  Do you really think these women would go and report a rape?

christian green

Quote from: Valthazar on March 14, 2015, 10:40:55 AM
Rape is a serious problem in the US.  But trying to draw parallels with India is totally missing the mark. 

Traveling alone in India is a huge liability for women.  Gropings and physical harassment are a regular event.  Combine this with a culture that encourages women to be modest, quiet, and demure, and you see a social acceptance of it.

Even today, many marriages are arranged.  Westerners may be surprised that parents go to great lengths to conduct 'background checks' on potential brides and grooms - checking whether she has any psychiatric conditions, whether she is involved with any illicit behavior, and so on.  Sadly, being a victim of sexual assault in Indian culture is not only a black mark on the woman, but also on the family.  In many cases, a woman is making herself "un-marry-able" if relatives or family friends come to find out she has been raped.  Needless to say, an enormous number of rapes are not reported.

India does a nice PR job in claiming to work against rape.  But the sheer size of the country (along with 70% of the population being rural), makes this a bleak effort.  22% of the population (300 million people) live on less than 0.50 US dollars per day.  Do you really think these women would go and report a rape?
hey valthazar!
some of your facts are right and some are wrong. your interpretation of facts is also wrong.
well, i dont think there is any harm in a family caring for her daughter/his son and doing a background check on their wards partner. I dont see anything wrong in it.
second arranged marriages- Here two partners meet with the help of parents, then if they like each other then families proceed with the alliance. I dont see anything wrong in this as well.
third- true 70% populations is rural. you will be surprised to know that most of the rapes take place in cities or near by areas, not in villages. the culture in villages teaches people to respect women, to be at your modest best with them.
the culture which is there in cities and most of it has been copied seeing the west is what leading to rapes.
there is no PR working to magnify steps against rapes. That hue and cry was no PR. It was an honest attempt by the Indian population to make Indian government take solid steps to stop rapes.
we are trying to get the income of our population up but that will take some doing. but that's not the reason for non reporting of cases

Scribbles

Christian Green,

It sounds as if you're trying to blame western society for rape in India and I have to disagree...

First off, Valthazar was correct, the idea that rape is prevalent in urban areas is little more than a popular myth. You should look up a man named Mrinal Satish of the National Law University, he observed that around seventy five percent of rape cases in India (specifically from 1983 to 2009) took place in rural areas.

I hate to say it but you'll find more parallels to rape drawn between countries which cling to notions such as tradition than societies which believe in promoting equality over all else. India does not suffer rape because Western Society is "evil", that's a bizarre cop out, it is because India has a culture which puts emphasis on women acting and dressing in a specific manner and that a few believe any who deviate from this are seen to "threaten" the culture and thus must be punished.

Let me answer your first question, paraphrased, "Is rape just a problem of asian countries or is it all over the world?"

The answer is 'no' and not because all countries suffer rape but because there are plenty of places outside the Asian continent which suffer from rape near equally to countries such as India. And their reasons are similar, tradition and culture are believed to trump the rights of others. Here are some examples...

In some African countries one is not truly an adult until they've lost their virginity, this has led to cases of rape of both men and women by children as young as thirteen and up. In some instances, there have actually been unwilling participants, forced by others to rape to achieve "adulthood" or prove they are not gay, which is apparently also a sin. Some believe women should never wear pants or revealing clothing, doing so is seen as being punishable, by rape. There are even those who believe that gay women can be "fixed" by rape. And the list goes on...

As an aside, I don't want to plant the idea that culture or tradition should be condemned, I absolutely love the varieties of culture we have and how they colour our world. Instead, I hope to push the notion that more emphasis should be put on rights than traditional views, there are plenty who manage to celebrate and practice their traditions while respecting all both within and outside their culture. It's important for everyone, especially those in places of power, to start insisting that we are all equal and deserve to be treated equally. Unfortunately, we're a long way from that judging by the comments of many politicans, specifically Robert Mugabe, the new chair of the AU.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Valthazar

Quote from: christian green on March 15, 2015, 07:18:28 AMthe culture which is there in cities and most of it has been copied seeing the west is what leading to rapes.

This is not accurate.

It is the psychology of people living in rural India that leads to the acceptance of rape as a natural part of life.  I'm sure you know that upper caste individuals (usually men) feel a sense of entitlement over lower caste women.  What people may not realize is that the lower caste people come to internalize this as the "natural order" of life; that they must accept this abuse as their fate.  The idea of social hierarchy is an ingrained concept.

Keep in mind that India is a heavily ritualistic country, and the idea of self-determination and autonomy is not one that comes naturally to many.  Even when someone is ill with cancer, many Indians are more likely to "accept this as their fate" rather than be "at war with cancer" like many in the West.

A combination of poverty, ingrained caste system, patriarchy, and traditionalism (in an unhealthy sense) is what is causing India's rape problem.

Scribbles

Quote from: Valthazar on March 15, 2015, 10:30:08 AMA combination of poverty, ingrained caste system, patriarchy, and traditionalism (in an unhealthy sense) is what is causing India's rape problem.

I just wanted to highlight this as I may have focused too much on a single aspect of the issue, there are definitely a multitude of factors beyond traditionalism.
AA and OO

christian green

Quote from: Valthazar on March 15, 2015, 10:30:08 AM
This is not accurate.

It is the psychology of people living in rural India that leads to the acceptance of rape as a natural part of life.  I'm sure you know that upper caste individuals (usually men) feel a sense of entitlement over lower caste women.  What people may not realize is that the lower caste people come to internalize this as the "natural order" of life; that they must accept this abuse as their fate.  The idea of social hierarchy is an ingrained concept.

Keep in mind that India is a heavily ritualistic country, and the idea of self-determination and autonomy is not one that comes naturally to many.  Even when someone is ill with cancer, many Indians are more likely to "accept this as their fate" rather than be "at war with cancer" like many in the West.

A combination of poverty, ingrained caste system, patriarchy, and traditionalism (in an unhealthy sense) is what is causing India's rape problem.
I disagree with you valthazar. There is no psychology which leads one to accept rape as natural part of life.  Upper caste men dont feel a sense of entitlement.  This was past my friend, not any more. I am a guy who was born in rural area, and grew up in both rural as well s urban settings. So I know the culture of both societies very well.
People fight with the diseases till the time they can. I agree that there are still few remote locations where science has penetrated and they are mostly tribal areas

christian green

Quote from: Scribbles on March 15, 2015, 11:05:19 AM
I just wanted to highlight this as I may have focused too much on a single aspect of the issue, there are definitely a multitude of factors beyond traditionalism.
Hey scribles!!
I Will say a misguided mentality is the prime cause.

HannibalBarca

I heard a report on NPR several months ago about the condition of women's rights in Africa.  An American woman entered a health clinic to ask some questions of the women who were there for checkups.  One of her questions was, she felt, unlikely to be answered as openly as she hoped, but she asked anyway: "How many of you have been raped?"

She was answered by dry chuckles, and an older woman there replied, "The question should be, how many of us have not been raped."

There are certainly areas of the world where rape is more prevalent, and this usually correlates with how many rights women have in those areas.  Nations where women have more freedoms and rights almost invariably have lower birthrates, higher standards of living, and more justice in the courts.  This also seems to correlate with how ingrained religion is in the society, but that is a topic for another discussion.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Top Cat

Sticking my foot in here for some details.

There's a LOT of things that are sexual abuse that don't quite come to the level of "rape" that still happen, and what they are, and how they're treated by the country that they're in, vary greatly from country to country. To complicate matters even further, it's a good idea to realize that not every country's police give full and complete information on what's actually happening in their countries, so some countries - including many that are considered "first-world" countries - seem to be safer by publicly-searchable data than they actually are. The US seems terrible - see the previous post of the US being the #10 worst country for rape - until you realize how many countries simply don't give good, accurate data on crime (all crime, not just rape!) for many reasons. Per Wikipedia:
QuoteIn many parts of the world, rape is very rarely reported, due to the extreme social stigma cast on women who have been raped, or the fear of being disowned by their families, or subjected to violence, including honor killings. Furthermore, in countries where adultery and/or premarital sex are illegal, victims of rape can face prosecution under these laws, if there is not sufficient evidence to prove a rape in the court. Even if they can prove their rape case, evidence during investigation may surface showing that they were not virgins at the time of the rape, which, if they are unmarried, opens the door for prosecution.

As one example, Japan supposedly is safer than the US, according to officially-released data. But despite that, it's fairly well-known that there's a distinct problem with people who fondle and molest female passengers on commuter trains. This isn't something new; the LA Times had an article about it 20 years ago. Part of the problem then was that women didn't report to the police, because the ones that did were treated like shit by the police. Many police officers denied that such a thing was possible; the ones who acknowledged that it happened often blamed the victims. That, thankfully, has been dropping considerably over the past two decades, as it's become an acknowledged problem. It still happens, but it's nowhere near as much of a problem as it was then.

Then there are other countries that are MUCH worse. Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates, Iran, China, and other countries where women aren't treated as equals by a long shot. If you accept their reported data, these countries are much safer than the US, but this is flatly wrong - they just don't report most of what we consider to be rape to be the crime of rape at all. There was a case last year* of an Austrian student visiting Dubai who was raped at a club. When she reported the attack, she was jailed and treated as a criminal for having sex out of wedlock. They didn't care at all that she didn't choose to have sex with the man, and were ready to force her to marry her rapist as an alternative to being charged with the above-mentioned crime. Thankfully, her country worked to get her out of the UAE, rather than continue to deal with their fucked-up laws.

And as bad as that is, there are places in the world where it's even worse. Don't click this next link if you're at all squeamish. I'm not going to summarize it, other than to say that it's a horribly inhuman state of affairs.

Compared to that, the US is looking pretty damned good these days... =>_>= Which is not to say that there's no rape, but that there's some scary shit out there in other parts of the world, and the US crime rate for rape, like for other violent crime, has been dropping steadily for the past 30 years. We hit a peak in 1979, and the rate has been dropping fairly steadily since then. I was a child when the Hillside Strangler case made national news (and I lived less than 10 miles from where those rapes/murders took place). There were other serial rapists in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's, but we don't really hear about serial rapists so much these days, despite news being more fervently following any sensationalistic news that pops up. They just don't happen as much as they did back then. These days, date rape and "predator drugs" are more of a concern than the kind of sociopathic rapist/murderers from years past. Sociopaths these days are sticking more to corporations and politics...  >:)

I guess what I'm saying is... yes, rape is still very much a concern. But women's rights have reduced some of the problem - women-as-victims is being taken far more seriously than it was even two generations ago, and men are being tried as rapists far more aggressively than they were back then. As a result, predatory men are less eager to force women into doing things that they don't want to do. And, as I said before, rape in the US has been dropping like a rock since the 70's. It peaked at 2.6 per 1000 in 1979, and is now hovering around .4 per 1000 in recent years.

And, of course, the most maddening thing about rape is... that far too much of it (more than half, by current estimates) goes unreported, because most rapes are by someone the victim knows. Whether it's a wife being forced to have sex by their husband, or a girlfriend not being able to stop her boyfriend because she's too drunk, or many other reasons, far too many rapes go unreported and held as a private woe of the victims.

There's more to talk about, but I think I've said my piece for now.

* Warning for that second link: Their site lags the hell out of my system. Not sure what's going on there, but it brought my Firefox to its knees.
O/O / Story Seeds
Current posting speed: Slow to moderate. Most threads should get a response within 24 hours, with occasional dips as RL makes demands.
If I am more than a week behind on a story post, please feel free to PM me about it.
I am present in Elliquiy's Discord channel. If you want to chat about a story idea, feel free to DM me there.

Dashenka

It's a problem everywhere and it is unfortunately not related to poverty. Rape happens in all social classes but those of the poor people, like say in rural India make the news. A high ranked member of society would do everything to keep their son (or daughter) out of the news when he (or she) raped somebody.

I know first hand stories of girls who were raped at university by some guys who had powerful parents, because they thought they were above the law.

I also know a girl who has been raped by three Israeli guys who all had powerful parents in Israel.

These kids think they can do whatever they want because they have a powerful daddy. Unfortunately for them, there is always somebody with an even more powerful daddy. But that aside.

So no, I don't think it's merely a problem of Asia or poverty or traditionalism or whatever, it's a global problem which has many different factors and reasons.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Scribbles

It's all well and good to be PC but in this instance there's no harm in saying that rural areas are suffering more from crime than the well off. Nobody is saying the rich are better than the poor or vice versa, being a victim of crime does not make one a bad person, nor does it imply that the rural areas are inherently evil, this is a harmful twist of what is being discussed.

You need to understand the difference between recognizing a serious issue and arguing about which class is better because in this case, nobody is engaging in the latter...

Dashenka, what you're doing is a common tactic of government officials, they resort to deflection when questioned on problem areas, such as rampant crime. I can assure you that for every one or two stories you've heard about some university student being raped, there are a thousand more in the poor quarters which involve people who don't have the luxury of law, money, power, or even the media...

Tradition does play a part, as does a low police presence, corruption by government officials, increased gang activity, low media interest, and so on and so forth. Many have explained how these elements factor into the increased rape while you've offered no counter arguments.

Rape does happen in well-off areas, nobody denies this, but to imply that those areas have as much rape as the poor and rural districts, that's a little disingenuous, especially when you consider the difference in numbers between the two in developing countries. To go further and claim that the news reports more on poor areas borders on a blatant falsehood. Many poor people, especially in developing countries, die without a single mention in any news outlet. And this is for a death, not rape. As someone already explained, rape is actually underreported by both the law and media in rural and poor districts. Many are afraid of the police or, if they do report it, the dockets are lost or the statistics are fudged, mostly to allow a politician to brag on how they reduced violent crime.
AA and OO

Dashenka

I didn't say it was just as much the rich as the poor. Also, to the victims, it doesn't really matter where it happened or who has done it. Fact remains that rape is not isolated to the rural, poor areas of the world. That's all I was trying to say in an answer to the question if rape was a problem of Asia or globally :)

I wasn't trying to deflect anything.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.